Best Videogame to Movie Adaptation?

Vance_Helsing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Vance_Helsing

I'm not sure if a similar topic has been started already, but I figured, what the hell?

Um, so yeah, comments, additions, etc. I was inspired by reading a feature on Kotaku earlier today, and I thought back on what movies I actually did like.
Silent Hill got the atmosphere perfect, but the movie itself was lacking- overall not bad though.
The three Resident Evil movies were hit or miss to say the least, but I liked the last one personally. The recent CG flick was ok too, but unlike the live action movies, It made me want to play the games instead.
The first Tomb Raider was ok, the second was awful.

Any others? I'm going to see Max Payne and Hitman soon enough...oh, and that new Chun-Li movie will be terrible....and I'll be there first day to see it.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Black_Rose

Mortal Kombat.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By natetodamax

Big Rigs.

Wait...

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By RichardLOlson
I'm waiting for the Halo movie to come out....most of the other video game to movie adaptations were just crap.  I didn't like mario bros or street fighter.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#5  Edited By natetodamax
RichardLOlson said:
"I'm waiting for the Halo movie to come out....most of the other video game to movie adaptations were just crap.  I didn't like mario bros or street fighter.
"
Just out of curiosity, why do you always post in bold and italic?
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By LiquidPrince
danterandal19 said:
"I'm not sure if a similar topic has been started already, but I figured, what the hell?

Um, so yeah, comments, additions, etc. I was inspired by reading a feature on Kotaku earlier today, and I thought back on what movies I actually did like.
Silent Hill got the atmosphere perfect, but the movie itself was lacking- overall not bad though.
The three Resident Evil movies were hit or miss to say the least, but I liked the last one personally. The recent CG flick was ok too, but unlike the live action movies, It made me want to play the games instead.
The first Tomb Raider was ok, the second was awful.

Any others? I'm going to see Max Payne and Hitman soon enough...oh, and that new Chun-Li movie will be terrible....and I'll be there first day to see it.
"
Anything with Kristen Kreuk is instant gold, so Chun-Li will be awesome.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By turboman

There are no acceptable answers other than Mortal Kombat

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

TurboMan said:

"There are no acceptable answers other than Mortal Kombat"

^, loved mortal kombat the movie, the theme song never gets old.

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Captain_Fookup

Postal, me not care less about if it was cannon.. it's Postal.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ArchScabby
Captain_Fookup said:
"Postal, me not care less about if it was cannon.. it's Postal."
eww...
Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Sunjammer

Mortal Kombat. And that's funny because it was a horrible movie. But it nailed the particular awfulness of the MK world perfectly.

Daemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Daemon

I quite like the Silent Hill movie and generally feel that it held up well and I really enjoyed the mood and atmosphere of the movie.

But Takashi Miike's adaptation of Ryu Ga Gotoku (AKA Yakuza in the States) was just too much fun to not be a top runner. 

=
Vance_Helsing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Vance_Helsing

Oh, totally forgot about the Uwe Boll crap. House of the Dead is awful, but extremely entertaining in that "so bad its good" way, while "Postal" is possibly his best film period (which is not saying a lot, since it's still not very good).

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By TheFreeMan

Gonna have to go with Max Payne, since I actually liked it a little.

rexualhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By rexualhealing

Silent Hill was the only one I've actually, seriously liked.

Other game to film adaptations:

Street Fighter: It is great and it is cheesy. Bought the recently released Special Edition DVD the other day and I plan on watching it tonight because I imagine the director's commentary is going to be the best, most self-loathing and full of vitriol thing since Joel Schumacher's commentary for Batman Forever.

Street Fighter II - The Animated Movie: Kickass. Watch in Japanese with English subtitles. The dub's not bad either, and the dub music actually kinda fits the movie but makes it feel differently, so buying the Special Edition DVD basically gives you two movies in one.

Resident Evil Trilogy: I hate these movies. The first one wasn't horrible, but Resident Evil isn't supposed to be serious business. It's supposed to have cheesy acting and ridiculous situations that somehow feel right in the context of the game. I am watching Degeneration this evening, probably before Street Fighter.

Advent Children: Pretty. Also vapid.

Max Payne: I refuse to watch this because I loved the games so much.

Super Mario Bros: Watch this smashed with friends and you will have a good time. When viewed sober it is horrible.

Fatal Fury: Captured the spirit of the games perfectly and was fun to watch. Anime adaptations of video games seem to usually be better than live-action adaptations.

Art of Fighting: Anime adaptation, did not capture the spirit of the games very well and also sucked as an anime. Not worth the $7 it would cost you to buy on DVD, really not worth your time at all.

And those are the ones I've seen that I remember.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By toowalrus

Dude, the Mario movie! "Truse the Fungus" Oh man, that was terrible!

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#17  Edited By Black_Rose

How the hell did I forget about Advent Children? definitely the best.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Saying there's a best implies there's a good one.

Failed topic.
Avatar image for thelawnwrangler
TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By TheLawnWrangler

Silent Hill was decent..

I... sorta liked Doom
*hides in panic room*

lol (I was serious about Doom) I do love Advent Children, RE: Degeneration, and Dead Space: Downfall
those kind of movies based on video games are cool in my book

Plus the live action RE movies didn't really do it for me (while they were pretty good action movies)

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Kazona

Street Fighter 2: The Animated Movie. Booya!

GTCknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By GTCknight

My personal favorites are the Mortal Kombat movies, (yes thats right, both of them) the first Street Fighter movie, (Jean-Claude Van Damme as Guile is too awesome not to like) and Doom (only the Unrated version) the story has nothing to do with any of the games, yet somehow it is still awesome.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By Meowayne
The machinist is a great adaption of Silent Hill 2. Much more Silent Hill than the Silent Hill movie.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By penguindust

I think that Final Fantasy: the Spirits Within was a pretty good movie...it just had absolutely nothingto do with Final Fantasy.

Other than that, Mortal Kombat 1, Tomb Raider 1, and the rest are all animes.   Although, I will add that DOA: The Movie is not all that bad, as long as you don't expect it to be anything worthwhile, if that makes any sense.

Meowayne said:

"The machinist is a great adaption of Silent Hill 2. Much more Silent Hill than the Silent Hill movie.

Now, there is a much more interesting idea for a thread, I think.  What movies have compatible themes, story lines and settings to good video games?  Like a fine wine and a smelly cheese, what movies would you recommend for viewing while playing a particular video game?  Examples:

Dead Rising (game) & Dawn of the Dead (movie) [ok, an obvious comparison like Halo & Aliens]
Ninja Gaiden (game) & Shinobi: Heart Under Blade (movie)
Burnout Paradise (game) & Death Race (movie)
Battlefield: Bad Company (game) & Kelly's Heroes (movie)
Psychonauts (game) & Waking Life (movie) [this coupling is a little more obscure]

Just curious what others may think...
zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By zityz

Max Payne is quite decent movie. Mortal Kombat for its cheesyness, Slient Hill, Final Fantasy: Advent Children and Resident Evil: Degeneration are good.

Doom is well, the rock is in it so... well...yea.

Street Fighter 2: animated movie is good, and the New Street Fighter 4: The ties that bind is not too bad, I liked it.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By atejas

Super Mario Bros. because it was so horrible it was awesome.

If we're talking about movie to videogame, then Stalker.

Quadrifoglio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Quadrifoglio

I thought DOOM was decent.

BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BiG_Weasel

Doom wasn't terrible. I bought it on a whim when I was out of town on business and wanted something to watch in my room.  I actually saw Street Fighter in the theater, back when Van Damme was a real action star- biggest waste of money since I saw Contact.....ICK.

But they need to stop making game-to-movie and movie-to-game translations. I've yet to see it work out well either way. It's just a marketing gimmick.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By tekmojo

I've seen Silent Hill 4-5 times, so I'll go with that.

insanegamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29  Edited By insanegamer

i loved hitman and i didn't mind the resident evil films all of them. thought postal was okay it was just a crazy movie.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

The resident evil's are OK. So was the first Mortal Kombat.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Gizmo

The last time I played Silent Hill I was about 8, but I remember the atmosphere vividly, and I thought the film captured it perfectly, however, some of the film was quite dissapointing.

I thought Resident Evil Extinction was good fun.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#32  Edited By KamasamaK

I haven't seen many, but others have already mentioned the decent ones I've seen. I also think Tomb Raider was an okay adaptation, and having Angelina Jolie doesn't hurt.

danterandal19
said:

"Oh, totally forgot about the Uwe Boll crap."
You start a thread about game to movie adaptations and forget him?
Vance_Helsing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Vance_Helsing

Just saw "The Legend of Chun-Li" (because it looked amazingly terrible), and it wasn't amazingly terrible, just horrendous.
The fight scenes were ok, and Moon Bloodgood was damn good-looking in the film, but everything else was super-self serious and painfully boring.

But did anyone honestly expect the movie to be any good?

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By suneku

How was Kristen Kreuk in the movie? That's the only reason for me to see it.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By maxszy

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Yes, I really liked this CG movie. I thought it was well done. Advent Children wasn't bad either, but Spirits Within was better.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#36  Edited By Icemael

Silent Hill is definitely the best live-action video game movie, but if we're counting CG, RE: Degeneration is the best. It felt like a 1 hour and a half long cutscene - and that's why it was so good. The mistake that directors do when making movie adaptions of video games is trying to make it movie-ish(if you get what I mean), when they should be making it cutscene-ish. Otherwise the whole video game "feel" will be lost, resulting in that people who have played the games don't like the movies.

karkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By karkii

I thought Max Payne was decent as a movie. Not bad but not so good either. If you look at it as a movie based on a game called Max Payne, it will suck big time. Try to forget that Max Payne the game ever existed and you might enjoy it. It had some scenes that were visually really stunning.

I also like all three Resident Evil movies. But I think I'm alone with this.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jayge_

The Chronicles of R- waaaaaaaait...

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By get2sammyb

The Resident Evil movies are acceptable. The Silent Hill movie is, from a visual standpoint, at the very least nice to look at. It's not a particularly BAD movie either.

Vance_Helsing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Vance_Helsing
suneku said:
"How was Kristen Kreuk in the movie? That's the only reason for me to see it."

Sorry this was super late. She's ok, not a terrible actress or anything- not as bad as Chris Klein that's for sure. She kinda shows up in her "costume" about halfway through the film, but it's really half-assed how she wears it. Oh, and there's a "lesbian dance scene" (that's what everyone's calling it on the internets) and instead of being hot (since its Kristin Kreuk) it's really stupid because she's an awful dancer and can't really be sexy by any means.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#41  Edited By AgentJ
Arkthemaniac said:
"Saying there's a best implies there's a good one.

Failed topic.
"
Someday we will get a good adaption. I'm guessing that Halo or Zelda would be really safe bets for being good if they were ever made. Others that would have potential would be Assassins Creed, a new Mario, Mirrors Edge, Dead Rising, or maybe a CG sonic. Of course, I'd love to see a Suda 51 movie (Killer 7, No More Heroes) or Phoenix Wright, and maybe this upcoming Prince of Persia won't be so bad. Has promise.
TheBigBeefy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TheBigBeefy

Mortal Kombat - First movie was great but the second was lame.

Street Fighter - Meh.

Resident Evil - The first one was ok, the second one was kinda cool and the third one sucked. It's overrrated just like Transformers.

Silent Hill - Never watched. Heard bad things about it.

Max Payne - Haven't seen it.

Super Mario - It's funny but not too special.

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TheGremp

I'm not a big fan of the Live Action RE movies, but I actually liked Degeneration a lot.

I recently watched Advent Children, and the action was tight, but as Ryan said in TANG, it's mostly fan service.

Retrogimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#44  Edited By Retrogimp
GTCknight said:
"My personal favorites are the Mortal Kombat movies, (yes thats right, both of them) the first Street Fighter movie, (Jean-Claude Van Damme as Guile is too awesome not to like) and Doom (only the Unrated version) the story has nothing to do with any of the games, yet somehow it is still awesome."
Seriously? You liked Annihilation? I'm not judging, but I just didn't realise it was actually possible for a human being to experience any sort of enjoyment from that film. Oh well, each to their own I suppose.

I do like the first one though.