#1 Posted by Vortextk (419 posts) -

I freaking love platinum games. One of my favorite developers. So I will eventually get to revengeance. And the MGS series, to someone who plays a lot of games, probably decently important to play especially since I'm interested. I've only ever played the first. Is the HD collection, seemingly ps3 version, the best way to play 2 and 3 hands down?

#2 Edited by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

YouTube.

#3 Posted by Vortextk (419 posts) -

Lol honestly I did that for the end of MGS 1 because I remember just being annoyed at the end boss and wasn't really into fighting it. The actual stealth stuff in the game was fun and some vr missions, many years ago...It's an option.

#4 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2249 posts) -
#5 Posted by Pr1mus (3876 posts) -

Yes for the HD collection.

#6 Posted by AiurFlux (902 posts) -

Well unless you have a PS2 and the games just sitting around in a box the HD collection is the best way. And make sure to play them in order of release though. There are things referenced in 3 that happen in 2 that you won't understand even though chronologically 3 happens before 2. Peace Walker and the other PSP one, Portable Ops, could just be watched online.

#7 Edited by Levius (1115 posts) -

As someone who is doing the same thing, now near the end of 3, the HD collection is a great way to play those games. Graphically the games hold up mostly (the fire in 3 does look pretty bad though). Also, I've seen a load of people talking about going through the series on the forums recently, has MGR really had that big of an effect.

#8 Posted by Nottle (1912 posts) -

The HD collection is flawless other than the fact that they took out an easter egg in 3, and some of the bonus stuff like Skateboarding, secret theatre and Snake Vs. the Monkey were taken out. Nothing vital.

Peace Walker is a lot of fun too.

Take your time with those games though. A lot of fun easter eggs.

#9 Edited by SecondPersonShooter (616 posts) -

@nottle said:

The HD collection is flawless other than the fact that they took out an easter egg in 3, and some of the bonus stuff like Skateboarding, secret theatre and Snake Vs. the Monkey were taken out. Nothing vital.

Peace Walker is a lot of fun too.

Take your time with those games though. A lot of fun easter eggs.

I haven't played the HD collection, what is the easter egg that was taken out? I assume it's the dream sequence videogame

#10 Edited by Ducksworth (660 posts) -

Does MGS3 in the HD collection contain the MSX games?

#11 Edited by Nottle (1912 posts) -

@secondpersonshooter: Yes the weird dream vampire thing. That was a cool easter egg too. But everything else is still in tact.

@ducksworth: Yes it does. Glad they included those.

#12 Edited by Raven10 (1769 posts) -

I played the HD Collection and 2 and 3 were fine. I never played them before so I can't say how they compare to the originals, but they run great. Peace Walker I didn't enjoy at all. I didn't feel like the bite sized missions worked for a MGS game. But if you do play Peace Walker definitely do it on PS3 or at least a Vita. The second analogue stick makes playing the game so much better. They included the original controls and they are terrible. I never played Portable Ops but my understanding is that it isn't incredibly important to the series from a story standpoint and doesn't play all that well. I would also recommend playing the first game through PSN Classics if you haven't since the PS1 days. I think it holds up rather well and I will plainly admit that almost every PS1 game doesn't hold up at all. This was actually the only PS1 Classic I've played that I actually enjoyed.

#13 Edited by 9999dmg (132 posts) -

The best way to play MGS games is to read the novelizations.

#14 Posted by espm400 (106 posts) -

It was a long time between playing the PS2 versions MGS 2&3 and playing the HD release, but after digging through my electronics chest (and I do mean digging, you think Christmas lights are bad), I managed to find my PS2 and games. I have to say, especially with the camera in 'Snake Eater,' the HD collection is hands down superior in every respect (lack of that easter egg not withstanding).

#15 Posted by chrissedoff (2084 posts) -

Go around, not through.

#16 Edited by BigBoss1911 (2437 posts) -

Get the HD collection and pick up MGS 1 on the ps store, for whatever reason they decided not to through it in with the collection. Also play the games in order of release.

#17 Posted by Rebel_Scum (691 posts) -

HD collection...any good? I only played Metal Gear Solid 1 on the playstation but didn't finish it because it was a rental. Liked the cinematic nature of it. Although I have little patience for stealth.

#18 Posted by StarvingGamer (8158 posts) -

I wonder if there are people out there who had MGS4 as their first entry into the series. There must be, right? I want to talk to one of them.

#19 Edited by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

@starvinggamer said:

I wonder if there are people out there who had MGS4 as their first entry into the series. There must be, right? I want to talk to one of them.

Hello, I am GetEveryone and I played Metal Gear Solid 4 before any other entry in the series.

What would you like to know?

#20 Posted by Karkarov (3081 posts) -

@starvinggamer said:

Hello, I am GetEveryone and I played Metal Gear Solid 4 before any other entry in the series.

What would you like to know?

Wow, how weird that must have been for you. Did you even have a freaking clue what was going on? Was the Psycho Mantis fight any fun?