Best way to capture retro game footage?

lil_cheeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 3

Hey guys, I am just getting into recording gameplay and streaming of video games, and I was wondering how people do the retro games? Do people just use emulators? Or are people connecting old systems to their PC's and recording the video in? I have old systems I can use, but i don't have a way to connect them to my PC, so if that is the way to do it, can someone suggest a way to connect systems like the NES and SNES to my PC?

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Emulation is probably the best way, as it's easier and the quality will likely be better as well. You could use a capture card with the SNES since that supports composite cables, but I don't know about the NES.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By cornbredx

Usually I see people use emulators.

Other than that point a good camera at the TV.

Beyond that, we're getting into expensive territory with tricasters and all kinds of cables and things you'd have to look around for. I don't know of a cheap solution beyond the above to doing this unless you maybe can get a RF to AV converter or something. That might work with video capture equipment, but I'm just speculating. It could also fail miserably or not even exist.

Edit: In the old days we recorded game play onto VHS. Now a days you can do that and then record it over to a DVD. This won't help you stream footage, though, and would limit what you can do.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@lil_cheeks: You need NES that can output RCA or RGB (SCART or Nintendo's own multicable that SNES uses) and a compatible capture device that can be used by the streaming application. Nintendo however is pretty shady how they drop features from model to model or from region to region, so be careful about that. For example: EU Gamecubes do not have component out function and it might be that North America never got RGB capable NES consoles.

Or just go with the emulators.