Best website for getting domain names?

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

What's the preferred site for doing that these days? It seems like the only one people around me know is GoDaddy, and I'd like to avoid that if I can.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I really like Namecheap personally. Not for any particular reason but I've never had any trouble from them and it is a pretty simple process to register and manage domains.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Namecheap is pretty decent.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By agentboolen

@viking_funeral: I just recently did my site with ipage, it seemed like the cheapest and most reliable, basically a lot of sites had it rank as there best web host that doesn't charge an arm and a leg.

$1.68 now, not $1.99 a month.
$1.68 now, not $1.99 a month.

Hover doesn't seem to offer hosting, just domains. So you would have to go to another company for hosting. Ipage does both, which to me makes it easier to deal with.

If you need a designer just send me a message and we can possibly work together.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6 chaser324  Moderator

I've had good experiences with Hover. It's not the cheapest, but I think the extra cost is justified by the pleasant interface, good support, and general lack of grossness.

Yep. I also go with Hover for all of my domain names. They also have relatively cheap forward-only e-mail so you can easily get some e-mail addresses for your domains.

Wraithtek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#7  Edited By Wraithtek

@grantheaslip said:

I've had good experiences with Hover. It's not the cheapest, but I think the extra cost is justified by the pleasant interface, good support, and general lack of grossness.

Seconding this.

I've used both GoDaddy and Hover. With Hover, you don't have to pay extra for a private WHOIS registration. You just have to change some settings after purchase. With GoDaddy, I think private registration is like another $10/yr per domain?

And you can find various promo codes for Hover. (Don't recall if the Bombcast has had a Hover sponsorship; I know Idle Thumbs has. Can search to see if they have an active promo code.) Should definitely be able to find a promo code if you're a new customer, don't know for sure if they work on renewals / new purchases for existing customers.

That said, I'm not totally against GoDaddy, and you can get domains & renewals pretty cheap.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By conmulligan

I'll also endorse Hover, mainly because their UI is nice and straightforward and they seem like a classy bunch.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By LawGamer

I can tell you who to avoid: networksolutions.

I went with these losers for my businesses website without knowing any better, and I'm switching just as soon as I can. Their website is scammy and set up to trip you into a ton of hidden fees, the customer service is awful, I've already been involved in two fee disputes with them, and they will call you non-stop with special "offers" to help you set up your website, and then won't take the hint when you say "no thank you."

Bunch of a-holes. Makes me mad just thinking about it.