kingdom hearts 1.5 remix

worst

blue dragon

hyperdemension neptunia

inazume eleven series

final fantasy 13

star ocean last hope

mediocre

atelier rorona(again i did have some fun with it but yeah it had alot of problems)

ni no kuni

contact

lord of arcana

thats mine whats yours?

#5 Edited by BillyMaysRIP (179 posts) -
mediocre
ni no kuni

lul.

#6 Edited by thesonygamer12 (85 posts) -

mediocre
ni no kuni

lul.

yes i dont like ni no kuni sue me -.-

#7 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5513 posts) -

@billymaysrip said:
mediocre
ni no kuni

lul.

yes i dont like ni no kuni sue me -.-

I personally adore Ni No Kuni, but I can totally understand why some people are turned off by it.

#8 Posted by EveretteScott (1489 posts) -

No Lost Odyssey in special best of all time category? What is this, a list for poop!

#9 Edited by von_wemberg (164 posts) -

Hopefully I'm putting this in the right generation.................... (these dots express my thought that numbering console generations is dumb.............................) Since I'm still catching up on some RPGs and don't have a list, I'd like to say Sands of Destruction for the DS is either "mediocre" or "worst". It's been a while since I played it, but I don't remember the time spent playing it all that fondly...

#10 Edited by Deathcrush (52 posts) -

Hmm.

best
Nier:
Demon`s souls
Dark souls
Dragons dogma
Valkyria Chronicles
Elder scrools oblivion
Witcher 2
Dragons Crown (probably more of a beat em up than a rpg but whatever)
Overlord 1 and 2

Worst
Enchantet arms
Two worlds
Sacred 2
Kingdoms of amalur reconing
Risen
Dragon age 2

Mediocre
Elder scrools Skyrim
Two worlds 2
Dragon age origins
Fable 2
Final fantasy 13
Mass effect series

#11 Posted by thesonygamer12 (85 posts) -

Hmm.

best

Nier:

Demon`s souls

Dark souls

Dragons dogma

Valkyria Chronicles

Elder scrools oblivion

Witcher 2

Dragons Crown (probably more of a beat em up than a rpg but whatever)

Overlord 1 and 2

Worst

Enchantet arms

Two worlds

Sacred 2

Kingdoms of amalur reconing

Risen

Dragon age 2

Mediocre

Elder scrools Skyrim

Two worlds 2

Dragon age origins

Fable 2

Final fantasy 13

Mass effect series

dragons crown still isnt nearly as good as odin sphere but its still a great vanillawere game

#12 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

You should do a blog about Ni no Kuni or something. Obviously people disagree with you on that game, and I'm kind of interred in hearing more in depth thoughts about it.

#13 Posted by oldenglishC (957 posts) -

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky and Radiant Historia are my two favorites from last gen.

Worst

Enchantet arms

Sweet jumping fuck, Enchanted Arms is the single worst RPG I've ever played. It makes any Compile Heart developed game look like Persona 4 in comparison. Serial killers should be forced to play that game as punishment.

#14 Posted by believer258 (11911 posts) -

@believer258 said:

I have a feeling that the mods won't respond too wellto someone making the same thread, just with different subjects.

-.- just answer the damm thread

I really liked Mass Effect 2 and Skyrim, I first played Chrono Trigger on the DS and it was fantastic, FFXIII and Ni No Kuni are pretty good so far. Dragon Age Origins never interested me all that much and Mass Effect 1 is a good story in a bad game.

I don't want to be mean, but can you tell me why you like or dislike the games you've mentioned? Sure, sometimes people just like to rattle off their favorite things, but there's something far more satisfying in the ability to tell others why you enjoy what you enjoy and something cathartic in explaining why something is a steaming pile of dogshit. And I mean more than three sentences about the game, too. That sort of discussion is far more interesting than "I like these games, dislike these, and think these are just meh", which isn't really a discussion at all.

#15 Edited by thesonygamer12 (85 posts) -

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky and Radiant Historia are my two favorites from last gen.

@deathcrush said:

Worst

Enchantet arms

Sweet jumping fuck, Enchanted Arms is the single worst RPG I've ever played. It makes any Compile Heart developed game look like Persona 4 in comparison. Serial killers should be forced to play that game as punishment.

nar compile hearts still worse

atleast gust and nis america try to make good games they may not be perfect but they atleast they try to make something entertaining compile heart just thinks if you slap lolicon into a game people will buy it

hyperdemension could have been such a good game if it was in the right hands but compile and idea factory ruined what could have been a fantastic game

#16 Posted by thesonygamer12 (85 posts) -

@thesonygamer12 said:

@believer258 said:

I have a feeling that the mods won't respond too wellto someone making the same thread, just with different subjects.

-.- just answer the damm thread

I really liked Mass Effect 2 and Skyrim, I first played Chrono Trigger on the DS and it was fantastic, FFXIII and Ni No Kuni are pretty good so far. Dragon Age Origins never interested me all that much and Mass Effect 1 is a good story in a bad game.

I don't want to be mean, but can you tell me why you like or dislike the games you've mentioned? Sure, sometimes people just like to rattle off their favorite things, but there's something far more satisfying in the ability to tell others why you enjoy what you enjoy and something cathartic in explaining why something is a steaming pile of dogshit. And I mean more than three sentences about the game, too. That sort of discussion is far more interesting than "I like these games, dislike these, and think these are just meh", which isn't really a discussion at all.

ill do the dislike 1

blue dragon(mediocre gameplay and terrible character designs but ill give it credit for it fantastic soundtrack except the boss them that sucked)

hyperdemension neptunia(great idea but terrible excecution this is why you dont let diea factory work on games they just think lolicon is all you need for a good rpg)

inazume eleven series(soccer themed rpg sounds cool on paper but the controles where torture)

final fantasy 13(fantastic visuals but gameplay was dull and characters where unmemorable

star ocean last hope(weak graphics terrible voice acting bad story)

#17 Posted by Slaps2 (251 posts) -

I've been pretty happy with the RPG's I've played this gen, so I want to note that I like my "most mediocre" choice.

Best: Mass Effect

Worst: Final Fantasy XI

Most mediocre: The Last Remnant

#18 Posted by Deathcrush (52 posts) -

@deathcrush said:

Worst

Enchantet arms

Could not agree more xD

@thesonygamer12 said: dragons crown still isnt nearly as good as odin sphere but its still a great vanillawere game

That is true but wrong gen so i felt i could not add it :P

#19 Posted by Petiew (1348 posts) -

mediocre
ni no kuni

lul.

It is kind of mediocre though.

#20 Posted by ViciousBearMauling (1098 posts) -

Best? Yakuza 4, Dragon's Dogma, Dark/Demon Souls 1/2, Valkyria Chronicles, Dragon Age: Origin

Worst? FF13/13-2 and Risen.

Mediocore? FF13-3 (Story is awful in my opinion, but the gameplay got me to finish the damn thing), Skyrim and Nier

#21 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5828 posts) -

Best is Trails in the Sky, no contest. Can't wait for TitS ok fuck year.

#22 Edited by chatmonchies (20 posts) -

best: Demons Souls, Dark Souls 1, Valkyria Chronicles, Resonance of Fate, Tales of Vesperia

worst: Ni no Kuni

#23 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

Well, at least people are giving Ni no Kuni a shot. :(

#24 Edited by xyzygy (9993 posts) -

Best:

• Lost Odyssey
  • The Witcher 2
  • The Last Story
  • Xenoblade Chronicles
  • Final Fantasy XIII
  • Resonance of Fate
  • Ni no Kuni
  • Nier
  • Dark Souls + Demon's
  • Mass Effect 1
  • Fable 2
  • Alpha Protocol (I don't care what you say I LOVE this game - took all of what I loved in Mass Effect 1 that they got rid of in ME2)
  • Fallout New Vegas
  • Borderlands
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  • Dragon's Crown
  • Dragon's Dogma

Mediocre

• Star Ocean 4
  • Tales of Graces f
  • Blue Dragon
  • Enchanted Arms (Actually better than mediocre but it's definitely not the best)
  • Fable 3
  • Tales of Vesperia
  • Fallout 3
  • Eternal Sonata
  • Final Fantasy XIII-2
  • Oblivion
  • Last Remnant (Although I did have a really good time with it)
  • Pandora's Tower

Worst

• Dragon Age 2
  • Dragon Age: Origins
  • Skyrim
  • Sacred 2
  • Diablo 3
#25 Edited by hermes (1487 posts) -

Best

• Fallout 3
  • Skyrim
  • Mass Effect series
  • Folklore

Mediocre

• Eternal Sonata
  • Final Fantasy XIII series
  • Ni No Kuni
  • Kingdom of Amalur

Worst

• Dragon Age series
  • Oblivion
  • Diablo 3
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution
#26 Edited by Package_Attack (26 posts) -

@viciousbearmauling: Final Fantasy 13-3 almost interests me; however, I loath being under time limits. From what I understand the whole # of days you have is pretty much core to the game, correct? So I'm assuming I should just stay away from it.

Best

• Deus Ex: HR
  • Fallout 3 and New Vegas
  • Skyrim
  • Mass Effect series
  • Alpha Protocol
  • Person 4: Golden (I'm counting it since it was released on the vita...)
  • Witcher 2

Mediocre

• Dragon Age 2 (I disliked the lack of environments and the new BioWare trend of limiting party member interactions)
  • Demon/Dark Souls (I understand why people like its just not for me)
  • Kingdom of Amalur
  • Ni No Kuni
  • Diablo 3 (I put too many hours into it to say it was bad...)
  • Final Fantasy 13

Worst

• Fable (any)
  • Star Ocean

I feel like I'm missing a few that should be worthy of mentioning.

#27 Posted by Nasar7 (2677 posts) -

Best

• Mass Effect 1/2
  • Demon's Souls
  • Skyrim
  • Yakuza 3
  • Valkyria Chronicles
  • Fire Emblem Awakening

Worst

• Lost Odyssey
  • Final Fantasy XIII
  • Two Worlds
  • Enchanted Arms

Mediocre

• Everything Else
#28 Edited by Daveyo520 (6761 posts) -

Best

• Mass Effect 2
  • Mass Effect
  • Fallout 3
  • Fallout: New Vegas
  • Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story

Mediocre/Worst

• Dragon Age 2

Why do people hate the first Dragon Age so much?

#29 Edited by xyzygy (9993 posts) -

@daveyo520: Regarding your Dragon Age question, I listed it as the worst because it's unimaginative. It does nothing new in terms of Fantasy, as everything is just a very basic and simplified high fantasy setting with nothing unique. It was just a really slow slog with predictable story and pretty boring combat. That's why I listed it as one of my worst. I, to this day, can't understand why it's so highly praised.

#30 Posted by Berserker976 (361 posts) -

Best

• Valkyria Chronicles
  • Skyrim
  • Valkyria Chronicles
  • Resonance of Fate
  • Valkyria Chronicles
  • Trails in the Sky
  • Valkyria Chronicles
  • Fallout 3
  • Valkyria Chronicles
  • Persona 4 Golden
  • Valkyria Chronicles
  • Yakuza 4

Worst

• X-COM*
  • FFXIII (all iterations)
  • Dragon's Dogma (no idea why people like this, the world is blander than bland)

Mediocre

• Witcher 2
  • Kingdoms of Amalur
  • all "Tales of..." games (love the series, but it's mediocre in many ways)

*I wouldn't hate X-COM as much if people didn't fawn all over it while ignoring the superior IN EVERY WAY Valkyria Chronicles.

#31 Posted by believer258 (11911 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

@daveyo520: Regarding your Dragon Age question, I listed it as the worst because it's unimaginative. It does nothing new in terms of Fantasy, as everything is just a very basic and simplified high fantasy setting with nothing unique. It was just a really slow slog with predictable story and pretty boring combat. That's why I listed it as one of my worst. I, to this day, can't understand why it's so highly praised.

Dragon Age Origin's high fantasy world is as generic as Mass Effect's sci-fi world, really, but both have writing that ranges from decent to pretty good. In the case of DAO, at least a portion of the fanbase loves it because it's essentially what WRPG's would have been if the late 90's/early 2000's DnD inspired RPG's had become popular enough to get a bigger-budgeted release, with 3D graphics and proper voice acting and all the other frills that budgets and extra computing power allow for.

#32 Edited by xyzygy (9993 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@xyzygy said:

Dragon Age Origin's high fantasy world is as generic as Mass Effect's sci-fi world, really, but both have writing that ranges from decent to pretty good. In the case of DAO, at least a portion of the fanbase loves it because it's essentially what WRPG's would have been if the late 90's/early 2000's DnD inspired RPG's had become popular enough to get a bigger-budgeted release, with 3D graphics and proper voice acting and all the other frills that budgets and extra computing power allow for.

I know that ME is also generic, but personally I don't find generic Fantasy interesting because I see it a lot more than generic Sci Fi. Sure these things have mostly been done before in Sci Fi but to me they just had a better grasp of the world in terms of creating really cool races, motivations for characters, beautiful areas, music, etc. Saren and Sovereign were two of the greatest villains I've ever fought against, and you can make him commit suicide for crying out loud. I just feel that to me, the Mass Effect universe has so much more detail, whereas Dragon Age could have easily been a preset D&D campaign or something.

Plus, I found the combat boooring. Flemeth was the only real challenge the game offered and even that was only because I upped the difficulty.

@berserker976 I agree that Dragon's Dogma's world is extremely bland, but what they do to make it interesting I find is done through gameplay techniques. The way it gets dark and really creepy at night, how you can switch profession/gameplay styles, monster hunting, etc, are what lead me to overlook it's super generic fantasy setting. Without these things that make Dragon's Dogma a super weird game, it'd just be another bland fantasy game.

#33 Edited by believer258 (11911 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

@believer258 said:

@xyzygy said:

I know that ME is also generic, but personally I don't find generic Fantasy interesting because I see it a lot more than generic Sci Fi. Sure these things have mostly been done before in Sci Fi but to me they just had a better grasp of the world in terms of creating really cool races, motivations for characters, beautiful areas, music, etc. Saren and Sovereign were two of the greatest villains I've ever fought against, and you can make him commit suicide for crying out loud. I just feel that to me, the Mass Effect universe has so much more detail, whereas Dragon Age could have easily been a preset D&D campaign or something.

Plus, I found the combat boooring. Flemeth was the only real challenge the game offered and even that was only because I upped the difficulty.

Well, I mean, Mass Effect on Normal is pretty easy too. It seems like you just like sci-fi way more than fantasy.

My feelings on Dragon Age Origins fluctuate wildly. I really like some parts of that game (saving Arl Eamon, for instance, provided you skip the Fade) but I am totally bored by the stuff going on in the Dwarven city. My last save was in the caves while going to save some important dwarf lady and I just stopped having any measure of fun when playing that section of the game, so I've put it down. That said, I do understand why people like it so much. I'd like to finish it someday.

#35 Posted by thesonygamer12 (85 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

@believer258 said:

@xyzygy said:

Well, I mean, Mass Effect on Normal is pretty easy too. It seems like you just like sci-fi way more than fantasy.

My feelings on Dragon Age Origins fluctuate wildly. I really like some parts of that game (saving Arl Eamon, for instance, provided you skip the Fade) but I am totally bored by the stuff going on in the Dwarven city. My last save was in the caves while going to save some important dwarf lady and I just stopped having any measure of fun when playing that section of the game, so I've put it down. That said, I do understand why people like it so much. I'd like to finish it someday.

i dont care about mass effect anyway so yeah XD

#36 Posted by teekomeeko (624 posts) -

@nasar7 said:

Best

• Mass Effect 1/2
  • Demon's Souls
  • Skyrim
  • Yakuza 3
  • Valkyria Chronicles
  • Fire Emblem Awakening

Worst

• Lost Odyssey
  • Final Fantasy XIII
  • Two Worlds
  • Enchanted Arms

Mediocre

• Everything Else

I liked FFXIII, but it was more on the "mediocre" side for me. I'm glad to see Lost Odyssey on your "worst" list, though. My Lord, that game was a boring mess, and all the characters with giant boobs just made me roll my eyes in disgust at the laziness.

#37 Posted by wemibelec90 (1666 posts) -

@package_attack: The time limit in Lightning Returns definitely weighs on you a bit, making you want to get things done quickly, but you really have way more time than you need in that game. Unless you dick around for a ridiculous amount of time, you would be fine.

It's disappointing how many people put the XIII games on their worst lists. I will break from the norm and put the FFXIII series as one of the best of the generations, particularly Lightning Returns. At least it actually did something different and went for it, even if it was a bit clunky and rough around the edges. I might put Nier in the mediocre category, at least regarding the actual gameplay. It has a memorable story and a fantastic soundtrack, but everything else is so terrible. As far as worst goes, I guess Venetica? Or maybe Hyperdimension Neptunia?

#38 Edited by teekomeeko (624 posts) -

Best / Favorites

• Mass Effect 2
  • Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  • Witcher 2
  • Valkyria Chronicles
  • The Last Remnant (PC version is an entirely different animal than 360)
  • Fallout 3 / New vegas
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution (does it even count as an RPG?)

Worst / Least Favorites

• Lost Odyssey
  • You know what? I barely remember my worsts. They flake off my memory like dead skin cells.

Mediocre / Boring

• Dragon Age II
  • Ys Seven
  • Risen
  • Star Ocean: The Last Hope
  • Final Fantasy XIII (an amazing game ruined by bad decisions and pointless characters / drama)
  • Yet again, I barely remember these. Probably why they are "mediocre" in my opinion
#39 Edited by Nasar7 (2677 posts) -

@teekomeeko: Lost Odyssey and FFXIII are the only two games I can think of that literally put me to sleep in broad daylight due to sheer boringness.

#40 Posted by EuanDewar (4927 posts) -

The best is Final Fantasy 13, the worst is Final Fantasy 13 and the most mediocre is Final Fantasy 13

#41 Posted by Nasar7 (2677 posts) -

Mediocre

• all "Tales of..." games (love the series, but it's mediocre in many ways)

Couldn't agree more. If you want "anime dudes save the world the game", Tales of Whatever is for you.

#42 Posted by FLStyle (4701 posts) -

@slaps2 said:

I'm pretty sure that's 6th gen by about 3 years.

Best

• Mass Effect 1
  • Mass Effect 2
  • Mass Effect 3
  • Valkyria Chronicles

Worst

• Dragon Age II
  • Final Fantasy XIV (Original version, haven't tried Realm Reborn but heard good things about it)

Mediocre

• The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  • Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
  • Ni No Kuni
  • Kingdoms of Amalur

#43 Edited by Lyisa (358 posts) -

For best I'm going to have to go with the Souls series, its fantastic. I enjoyed my time with Resonance of Fate. I watched a friend play through Lost Odyssey and that seemed pretty good. Mass Effect 1 and 2, haven't finished 3. I really enjoyed Final Fantasy 13. Blue Dragon was fun. Diablo 3?

For worst... Fable 3 is the worst RPG released last generation. I didn't play any RPG worse than it.

Everything else is pretty mediocre as I can't really think of anything right now. There is a spectrum, I think, like I'm sure there are RPGs I think are better than others, I just don't feel like singling anything out.

#44 Posted by benspyda (2034 posts) -

Ni No Kuni was a mediocre rpg, the combat was super basic, but the art style and world made it more than just a mediocre game overall.

Dragons Dogma had all the makings of a mediocre game, but I really enjoyed it.

Also it depends on how you are judging the game. If it's purely based on rpg mechanics, games like Skyrim could be judged as not all that deep, but the actual "role playing" part of Skyrim made it one of deepest rpgs ever made. It felt like a real lived in world unlike any other I have played. The inverse is true with Mass Effect 3, the gameplay was great but the "role playing" part was just terrible compared to the previous entries in the series.

#45 Edited by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

@flstyle: FF11 does have an Xbox 360 version though. And since we're counting other ports and remakes, I guess that counts.

#46 Edited by Random45 (1210 posts) -

So we're rolling all RPGs into one? Cause I'd have different answers for WRPGs and JRPGs. I think I'll do both:

Best: WRPG: The Witcher 2 (Easily, WITHOUT A DOUBT, the best WRPG I have played in the past decade. If you haven't played this game yet, you are doing yourself a HUGE disservice. The world is fascinating, the characters are very entertaining, the story is amazing, and none of the choices are black and white, and most of them have negative and positive outcomes as a result. This game isn't just good, this game is fantastic!)

Best JRPG: Persona 4: The Golden (Kind of a cop out, I know, can't really think of anything else though that I'd put here.)

Mediocre WRPG: Skyrim (I didn't like this when it was released, though adding a crapload of mods is really endearing it to me, so I don't think it's terrible, just not very good without mods.)

Mediocre JRPG: Valkyria Chronicles (I don't really think this is an RPG, but everyone else is listing it, so I will too - this is such a mediocre game, it can be completely broken early on with the Scout class, the maps are completely worthless, and it just has a really dull story.)

Worst WRPG: Dragon Age 2 (While not exactly terrible, as a follow up to one of my favorite WRPGs, it falls terribly short. The story either goes slower than a snail or rushes by far too quickly never having a good balance, the environments are repeated ad nauseam to the point where I was starting to feel physically ill playing the same damn level over again, and the combat is a repetitive grind, since enemies keep constantly respawning. Given another year, this could have been good, but as it is now, it's just a disappointment, and consequently, the worst WRPG I've played this generation.)

Worst JRPG: TIME AND ETERNITY (I love niche JRPGs, and there are a ton of entries I could have put for most mediocre games just from that alone, but this is the only one that was so bad that I seriously couldn't believe how bad it was, and I just couldn't play it any longer. Terrible story, terrible animation, terrible characters, god damn this game was bad. The combat is mildly entertaining for about an hour at best, and the best part of the entire game is the box art - I'm not even freaking joking. DO NOT buy this game. What makes this all worse is that it sounded SO promising too, and seeing this as a result is just devastating...)

#47 Posted by Solh0und (1774 posts) -

Best: The Witcher 2

Worst:

- Time and Eternity(Youtube it if you have never heard of this game)

- Cross Edge

#48 Edited by hollitz (1520 posts) -

Best:

Tales of Vesperia, Dragon Age Origins, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, The Witcher 2, Valkyria Chronicles

Most Mediocre:

Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata, Final Fantasy 13-2

Worst:

Final Fantasy 13, Magna Carta 2

Somwhere between best and mediocre:

Star Ocean 4, Tales of Graces F, Resonance of Fate

#49 Posted by Slaps2 (251 posts) -

@flstyle said:

@slaps2 said:

I'm pretty sure that's 6th gen by about 3 years.

An expansion was released last year for the PC and 360... so it's 7th gen... and it has been for 8 years.

#50 Edited by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

Guys... Vita is eighth generation. If you want to list a Persona game it would have to be Persona 3 Portable.

Or the other PSP ports that I completely forgot about.