• 89 results
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Animasta

So, yeah, bethesda apparently does not have enough post apocalyptic franchises (yes technically stalker isn't the post apocalypse also shut up) and they bought the rights for one game. Now, they haven't bought the rights for the extended universe, which I would assume means the TV show. This is terrible news for a fan of Stalker, because, like it or not, Fallout 3 is an RPG with shooter elements. Stalker is a shooter with RPG elements. I can only hope they give it to someone else, but who knows?

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07/31/bethesda-have-rights-to-stalker-claims-galyonki

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Jams

@Animasta said:

So, yeah, bethesda apparently does not have enough post apocalyptic franchises (yes technically stalker isn't the post apocalypse also shut up) and they bought the rights for one game. Now, they haven't bought the rights for the extended universe, which I would assume means the TV show. This is terrible news for a fan of Stalker, because, like it or not, Fallout 3 is an RPG with shooter elements. Stalker is a shooter with RPG elements. I can only hope they give it to someone else, but who knows?

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07/31/bethesda-have-rights-to-stalker-claims-galyonki

They bought the rights, but not the team or the engine right? The game could have been interesting with a well funded team fixing up the stalker engine. I'm interested to see where they go from here.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Animasta

well most of that team is now working on that other game, they just have the rights for it as far as I know.

and, to be quite honest, I won't miss that engine. It was hella buggy for one thing.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Sterling

I hope they use the same engine from RAGE. A RAGE/S.T.A.L.K.E.R. hypbrid would be sweet.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Karkarov

I think it is good news if for no other reason than the fact that Stalker games have a chance to continue now.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Animasta

@Karkarov said:

I think it is good news if for no other reason than the fact that Stalker games have a chance to continue now.

who even knows if it's going to be the same type of game though?

is fallout 3 in Ukraine really going to satisfy anyone?

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By cornbredx

Your selling Bethesda short.

I say give it time. It could turn out ok. I mean, I loved what they tried to do with STALKER, but lets not kid ourselves. That game is broken.

Also, they have ID now. So if nothing else they should get shooting down pat.

I am interested to see how this goes.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

If they don't go half rpg like fallout, I'm interested.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Animasta

@CornBREDX: yes I am because I hate most of their games (skyrim was alright, but other than that), and because stalker and fallout are such different games and different styles that I'm doubtful they could even do it half as well. Maybe they'll surprise me, maybe they'll make a game that satisfies new gamers and stalker vets alike!

but they've already burned original fans once on fallout 3, so forgive me if I don't trust them.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Jrinswand

That's awesome! As long as Bethesda keeps their hands out of the development and the STALKER franchise is allowed to continue to exist, I'll be happy.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By bacongames

STALKER is one of my favorite franchises but it is so because it manages to pull of a Eastern European aesthetic and PC gaming sensibility without drowning in its own jank. That it was an engrossing RPG/shooter and a game about that place made by people from that country made it the complete package. If Bethesda can make an awesome game with that name, I'll certainly play it. I love their games too but I'm curious how much will get lost in translation. I think if the art is there that captures that setting and the RPG elements are robust enough I'll be happy. If they ditch some of the story stuff that's fine. As endearing as that continuity was, its not the best part of the series and could easily be replaced.

Obviously bugs and better voice acting wouldn't hurt either. Personally I'm happy we can see a second round of Metro vs. STALKER (previously 2033 vs. Pripyat) for my Russian FPS/RPG fix.

captain_max707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By captain_max707

I don't think anyone else is able to do a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game quite like GSC did, but after their self-destruction I guess this is good news. I'll miss the old engine and feel, I've played so much of those games that that is part of what makes those games unique.  

We'll just have to wait and see...

FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By FirePrince

If they can make a S.T.A.L.K.E.R game with the same Eastern Bloc feeling while removing the jank, semi-busted inventory system, and other minor quirks, I'm in.

Oddly enough, If there is one dev I can trust on this, It's Bethesda, as long as they don't just make another Fallout game.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Animasta

honestly the only other dev I would trust to make a game that's even close to the original stalker in feel and tone is the guys who made E.Y.E.

FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FirePrince

@Animasta said:

honestly the only other dev I would trust to make a game that's even close to the original stalker in feel and tone is the guys who made E.Y.E.

The problem is that the people who made E.Y.E are by now either dead or insane.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Animasta

@FirePrince said:

@Animasta said:

are you denying that the people who made stalker weren't also insane?

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By doobie

@Animasta said:

@CornBREDX: yes I am because I hate most of their games (skyrim was alright, but other than that), and because stalker and fallout are such different games and different styles that I'm doubtful they could even do it half as well. Maybe they'll surprise me, maybe they'll make a game that satisfies new gamers and stalker vets alike!

but they've already burned original fans once on fallout 3, so forgive me if I don't trust them.

let be honest, no matter what they do they are bound to upset some weird overly protective bunch of hard to please gamers

FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FirePrince

@Animasta said:

@FirePrince said:

@Animasta said:

are you denying that the people who made stalker weren't also insane?

Erm, no. They were ukrainian.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Animasta

@doobie: true, but it wasn't only the fact that it was a different kind of game (though plenty of people didn't like it for that), it was also the fact that the tone and feel of the game was very different. This is also why lots of old fallout fans like new vegas, because it does capture the feel of those old games better than 3 did.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I doubt they'll make one but I would love it if they do. I just want a new STALKER game and don't really care who makes it at this point.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By Marz

sure they'll buy the rights, but i bet they won't make any games with it. Buying STALKER brand just paves the way for Fallout to be the premiere post apocalyptic franchise on the market for the unforeseeable future.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RazielCuts

Didn't they already make it and it was called fallout-3?

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CaptainCody

@Karkarov said:

mbr2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By mbr2

@RazielCuts said:

Didn't they already make it and it was called fallout-3?

Except F3's shooting and AI is terrible.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25  Edited By breadfan

Hopefully they develop a STALKER game and don't publish one.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Karkarov

@Animasta said:

@Karkarov said:

I like the setting, the atmosphere, the lore, and the overall vibe of the games. None of those things rely on the gameplay to transfer over. As long as I run into Vidkya Tonic somewhere drinking a vodka and someone yells "Get out here Stalker!!!" at me I will be okay. Also not to be nitpicky... but Fallout 3 probably outsold every stalker game combined.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Funkydupe

Every game from now on should include the option to play co-op.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Animasta

@Karkarov said:

@Animasta said:

@Karkarov said:

I like the setting, the atmosphere, the lore, and the overall vibe of the games. None of those things rely on the gameplay to transfer over. As long as I run into Vidkya Tonic somewhere drinking a vodka and someone yells "Get out here Stalker!!!" at me I will be okay. Also not to be nitpicky... but Fallout 3 probably outsold every stalker game combined.

yeah, but what I was saying was that fallout 3 didn't satisfy fans of 1 or 2, because while they had all of the STUFF those games had, they didn't have the feel, the atmosphere.

they'll undoubtedly satisfy an audience that doesn't play stalker (the console audience), but I sincerely doubt they satisfy stalker fans; and to be honest, why would they? you said it yourself that they outsold every stalker game combined, so what point is there to keep anything from stalker? oh sure, they'll have one guy saying get out of here stalker as a joke, but if you think it'll be even close to the same game you're incredibly naive.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29  Edited By xymox

In before Skyrim with guns

na, but seriously. Stalker made by Beth seems like a decent match. Open-world and stuff.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Funkydupe

Skyrim. But with beautiful women who haven't showered in a couple of months wearing gas masks and hazmat suits to your ingame date.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By pyrodactyl

they'll make at least 3 or 4 fallout games before even thinking about touching the STALKER franchise

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By ajamafalous
@oulzac said:

I hope they use the same engine from RAGE. A RAGE/S.T.A.L.K.E.R. hypbrid would be sweet.

Jesus, I don't. Getting 1 FPS for the first 10-15 seconds I load into the overworld and texture popin every time I turn the camera isn't my idea of a good engine.
Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#33  Edited By Phatmac

Gotta love user's edited thoughts on some interesting news. I'm sure Bethesda will let someone else do it as their busy making a new game for the next gen. At least Stalker found a home. Be thankful for that. (I've also never played the Stalker game, and I don't plan to anytime soon.)

Harpell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Harpell

This sounds awesome. I like ID's games, I like Bethesda games, and I like the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games! It's like I literally can't lose!

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Animasta

@Phatmac said:

Gotta love user's edited thoughts on some interesting news. I'm sure Bethesda will let someone else do it as their busy making a new game for the next gen. At least Stalker found a home. Be thankful for that. (I've also never played the Stalker game, and I don't plan to anytime soon.)

well, you should because their amazing, but plain straight news isn't very fun (and to be fair I quoted RPS, which is hardly the most objective video game news place out there)

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Phatmac

@Animasta said:

@Phatmac said:

well, you should because their amazing, but plain straight news isn't very fun (and to be fair I quoted RPS, which is hardly the most objective video game news place out there)

I probably won't play it since I'm not much of a PC player.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Binman88

Although I agree with people saying they'll probably not actually make one, a Bethesda style (ie. Skyrim/Fallout 3 clone) STALKER would be everything I wouldn't want in a STALKER game. Bethesda don't have it in them to make the atmospheric game I'd want.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#38  Edited By Ghostiet
@CornBREDX said:

I mean, I loved what they tried to do with STALKER, but lets not kid ourselves. That game is broken.

So at least that thing is gonna stay if Bethesda makes a sequel.
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Animasta

@Phatmac said:

@Animasta said:

@Phatmac said:

and thus you're the exact right audience for this new stalker game!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, not at all optimistic that Bethesda could produce a game with even half the atmosphere GSC did. Hopefully they source it out to a developer that has a clue.

Like that will happen.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Phatmac

@Animasta said:

@Phatmac said:

@Animasta said:

@Phatmac said:

and thus you're the exact right audience for this new stalker game!

Yeah, hope its made by Rebellion! STALKER 2: Mickey Rourke says fuck a lot edition!

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

Next step is to hire as many GSC guys as they can to make it. This needs to be made by Eastern Europeans.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Animasta

@TheSouthernDandy said:

Next step is to hire as many GSC guys as they can to make it. This needs to be made by Eastern Europeans.

pretty sure most of the stalker devs went to vostok games to make survarium.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#44  Edited By oraknabo

If this is true, I'd like to see them put the best minds from Obsidian (writing), Arkane (a-life, other systems) and maybe even ID (Carmack) into doing this right. Whoever works on this needs to read Roadside Picnic a bunch of times, take a trip to Pripyat and watch nothing but Tarkovsky's film on a loop for a month.

I know they're busy on their own Survival Horror game already, but Mikami's current project for Bethesda looks like it sort of has the feel of the movie already. Get them involved too!

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Karkarov

@Animasta said:

@Karkarov said:

yeah, but what I was saying was that fallout 3 didn't satisfy fans of 1 or 2, because while they had all of the STUFF those games had, they didn't have the feel, the atmosphere.

they'll undoubtedly satisfy an audience that doesn't play stalker (the console audience), but I sincerely doubt they satisfy stalker fans; and to be honest, why would they? you said it yourself that they outsold every stalker game combined, so what point is there to keep anything from stalker? oh sure, they'll have one guy saying get out of here stalker as a joke, but if you think it'll be even close to the same game you're incredibly naive.

A new game that doesn't 100% deliver is better than no new game that 0% delivers. Just making another carbon copy of Stalker would be no better than just copying fallout 3. For the sake of the series future it does need more broad appeal.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@Karkarov said:

@Animasta said:

@Karkarov said:

A new game that doesn't 100% deliver is better than no new game that 0% delivers. Just making another carbon copy of Stalker would be no better than just copying fallout 3. For the sake of the series future it does need more broad appeal.

More broad appeal? What does that mean? Make the game easier, less bleak, console shooter? What's the point of a series continuing if it's not the same series? Man I really hope they don't fuck this up or I'll have to act like the dudes at NMA, pretend it never happened. This is the kind of scenario where you ask yourself, is it better to be dead or a brain dead zombie retard...I'm slowly starting to hate Bethesda.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Animasta

@Karkarov said:

@Animasta said:

@Karkarov said:

I don't know what you're trying to argue for. All I'm saying is that I probably won't like it because I doubt it'll be anywhere near as atmospheric as stalker is, and that I don't like bethesda's games.

yes, fallout 3 certainly sold more than fallout 1 or 2 but I doubt the fallout 1 or 2 fan cares about that.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MikkaQ

Sweet, it'll be nice to see a Stalker game with slightly more polish.

Sputty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Sputty

Just put a bullet in my brain. I like the Elder Scrolls games but STALKER without the eastern European charm is awful. Just let the series die with dignity