#1 Posted by Branthog (5562 posts) -

So, minitale is kind of intriguing me. I thought I might get in on the ground floor of this game and even set up a database or wiki in the style of the current minecraft wiki. Nothing to step on anyone's toes, but just something of benefit to the community for kicks. I turned down the idea of "minitalewiki" as too long. I settled on minitaledb.com, by the way. However, when I found wiki was taken, I did a whois.

It said the owner was Christopher Weaver.

Domain name: minitalewiki.com
Registrant Contact: Christopher Weaver
[redacting for his privacy] Milford, IN 46542 US

Wait, what? Christopher Weaver (wikipedia)? As in, fucking founded Bethesda "Christopher Weaver"?! As in, sued Notch, because they make Elder Scrolls and Notch called a game in development "Scrolls"? Going around registering notch game-related domains? Oh man! I found some dirt! This is so sweet!

But, the registration address said Indiana. I don't think he lives in Indiana? More googling around finds a meetup page for a "northern Indiana technology group", organized by a guy named Christopher Weaver, which suggests to me that he is far more likely the Weaver in question than the Bethesda founder.

However, I just want to say, this was almost going to me my claim to fame. I was about to become an internet flash in the pan for like five minutes for uncovering this. Damn you, Christopher Weaver! And . . . uh . . . other Christopher Weaver!

#2 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@Branthog: Dang it, I read the title and knew you hadn't found anything but as I read through it I still got excited! 

Fucking Weavers, ruining everything!
#3 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

OMG Someone call TMZ! serious shit going on here!

#4 Posted by Branthog (5562 posts) -

@ZeForgotten said:

@Branthog: Dang it, I read the title and knew you hadn't found anything but as I read through it I still got excited! Fucking Weavers, ruining everything!

I know! For like, ten minutes, I was all "I'm totally going to be THE GUY WHO UNCOVERED THIS CRAZY THING for the whole week!" On the other hand, you *can* put any registration information in there that you want. Maybe this other Christopher Weaver is just an unaware patsy? :D

Still, it's a crazy coincidence even just like this.

#5 Posted by Branthog (5562 posts) -

@DonPixel said:

OMG Someone call TMZ! serious shit going on here!

It's like you were in my head!

#6 Posted by Cincaid (2956 posts) -

@Branthog: That's a damn funny coincidence (even if it technically was Zenimax and not Bethesda that sued Notch & crew)!

Somewhat on-topic, but any good sources of information on that Minitale game?

#7 Posted by Kazona (3068 posts) -

You suck for getting me excited over nothing!

#8 Posted by Branthog (5562 posts) -

@Cincaid said:

@Branthog: That's a damn funny coincidence (even if it technically was Zenimax and not Bethesda that sued Notch & crew)!

Somewhat on-topic, but any good sources of information on that Minitale game?

Only that it apparently is taking off from the "Minicraft" game that Notch made in that 48hr competition and then that he registered .net and .com domains for minitale. It's supposed to have been a pretty shallow experience, but . . . it was made in two days, so... What it'll actually be is anyone's guess, but as someone who setup a minecraft server and finally started playing it (I bought it way back in early alpha and then bought my brother a copy this past weekend so we could play on my server), hearing "notch" and anything minicraft/minecraft related got me excited enough to at least register a domain and potentially set up a wiki or something for it. Assuming it'll have enough content to justify it. And that I could actually get people to use it, having no actual involvement in the community so far, myself. If not, I can always just give the domain to someone who is doing something great for the game.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/246664/minecraft_creator_notch_makes_minicraft_in_48_hours.html

#9 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

It has to be coincidence or a prank.. The man is smarter than that and doesn't even work on Bethesda anymore, he probably waste he's days flying an ultra light or something.

#10 Posted by Branthog (5562 posts) -

Also, here's a 15 minute youtube video of someone playing minicraft. Again . . everyone is presuming that one has something to do with the other and that minitale isn't something entirely different . . . but hey . . speculation is sometimes the most fun part of gaming, right?

#11 Posted by Cincaid (2956 posts) -

@Branthog: Cheers for the info! Will be interesting to see how the game will turn out.

#12 Posted by Branthog (5562 posts) -

@DonPixel said:

It has to be coincidence or a prank.. The man is smarter than that and doesn't even work on Bethesda anymore, he probably waste he's days flying an ultra light or something.

I'm almost certain it's merely a coincidence. The Christopher Weaver heading the Indiana technology meetup thing is in Milford and the domain is registered to a Christopher Weaver in Milford. Probably just another fan who thought it was a good opportunity to do a gaming site or something. Hey, maybe he's a member here and we'll hear from him? Heh.

#13 Posted by Branthog (5562 posts) -

@Cincaid said:

@Branthog: Cheers for the info! Will be interesting to see how the game will turn out.

Indeed. I was early on the "buy minecraft" bus, but extremely late on the "actually play minecraft" bus. My brother is a huge fan of notch as he's an aspiring indie game developer/designer. He has talked about notch for so long that I just assumed he owned Minecraft. Turned out he didn't. Bought it for him three days ago. Set up a server. Planned to log in and just check that it was working, myself . . . next thing I knew, twelve hours had passed. I have now played twenty-four game-hours of Minecraft in the last three days. Don't know why it has snared me. I mean, all I'm doing is building stuff. There's no reason to build stuff. Nobody will ever see it. I can't do anything with it. It just... I don't know. Once you get in, you spend all day. :)

#14 Posted by Shylor (1 posts) -

@Branthog said:

@DonPixel said:

I'm almost certain it's merely a coincidence. The Christopher Weaver heading the Indiana technology meetup thing is in Milford and the domain is registered to a Christopher Weaver in Milford. Probably just another fan who thought it was a good opportunity to do a gaming site or something. Hey, maybe he's a member here and we'll hear from him? Heh.

You know when you Google your own name you can sometimes randomly find odd things... Well, here I am... The Christopher Weaver of Milford...

#15 Posted by Branthog (5562 posts) -

@Shylor said:

@Branthog said:

@DonPixel said:

You know when you Google your own name you can sometimes randomly find odd things... Well, here I am... The Christopher Weaver of Milford...

The internet is fucking WEIRD.

Mind blown for the day. :D

#16 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

I approve of this nonsense.

A+

#17 Posted by Taborlin (177 posts) -

No way o;

!1!!