• 51 results
Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Belonpopo

Within the last six months I have played both Bethesda and Biowares powerhouse franchises, Fallout and Dragon Age. Dragon Age was my first Bioware game I can remember playing in recent times and I was not impressed by it. When I played Fallout 3 for the first time last year the last Bethesda game I poured time into was Morrowind (I don't even know why I don't own Oblivion)  
                     By all means I enjoyed my time with Fallout 3, but still this game could have improved in many ways, shapes, and forms to make it perfect in all aspects. Take for example the combat. The combat felt boring and slippery when not using the beloved V.A.T.S system. My main problem with Dragon Age though is the system I'm playing on-the Xbox. I'm about eight hours into this game and I still don't know if I like it yet. The graphics are rancid and the combat was uneventful. One thing I did enjoy in Dragon Age over Fallout was the story. Everyone and their brothers uncle has played in a wasteland and or ruined Earth, it's been done before. Not to say that middle-age Earth hasen't either.  
                     Sadly I have not played played Mass Effect...EVER, but after my time with Dragon Age im'm not sure if i want to invest in the Mass Effect franchise. Now I ask a question, should I jump over into Mass Effect after playing and not beging impressed with Dragon Age. or should I drop my Bioware games and stick to Bethesda for my RPGs? 

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By EpicSteve

Both studios have a very specific style and means of crafting an RPG. If you don't like a particular style...then don't play the games. However, don't limit yourself to a particular company to get all your gaming out of.

I don't know if I helped you, I can't read your arguments that well.

mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By mordecaix7

I've dropped Bioware completely.  If it's developed by Bioware, I want no part of it.  Their stories are fantastic but I cannot stand the gameplay the story is wrapped around.  I loathe it.  I played through Knights of The Old Republic and said never again.

rinkalicous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By rinkalicous

I tried to come up with a decent reply here, but I'm blinded with rage that you haven't played Oblvion yet. Go play that for ~400 hours, then we can talk properly.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By defaulttag
@Belonpopo: Why would you limit what you play for Dev loyalty? Both companies make awesome games.
ErrorOperator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By ErrorOperator

I try not to limit myself to onne dev, but it just happens that I have loved all the Bioware games but have had problems getting into Fallout 3 + Oblivion!

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By 71Ranchero

I have a deep seeded hatred for Oblivion and Fallout 3. The games are BAD and I have no idea why people love them so much. SO that said, Bioware gets my vote.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@EpicSteve said:
" Both studios have a very specific style and means of crafting an RPG. . "
Except when Bioware makes the sequels to Bethesda games, but I agree that both companies make amazing games.
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By ravensword

I like both alot. Bethesda does better open world I think. Bioware is more Linear/Open worlds.
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By pause422

Bioware is a far better company in my eyes.

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Belonpopo
@Rinkalicous: 

I tried to come up with a decent reply here, but I'm blinded with rage that you haven't played Oblvion yet. Go play that for ~400 hours, then we can talk properly.     

I've played two or three hours of it and I was going to download it off game on demand, but I didn't have enough room on HDD.
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ProfessorEss
@Belonpopo said:

Now I ask a question, should I jump over into Mass Effect after playing and not beging impressed with Dragon Age. or should I drop my Bioware games and stick to Bethesda for my RPGs?

I obviously can't guarantee you'll like Mass Effect, but I would say the two games are different enough that not liking one wouldn't automatically mean you won't like the other.

They've both hit and missed the mark for me but as a whole I like both companies.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By xyzygy
@mordecaix7 said:
" I've dropped Bioware completely.  If it's developed by Bioware, I want no part of it.  Their stories are fantastic but I cannot stand the gameplay the story is wrapped around.  I loathe it.  I played through Knights of The Old Republic and said never again. "
Have you played Mass Effect? It's totally different than Dragon Age or KOTOR
thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By thecleric

Bioware. 

Bethesda's full of bad story, bad voice acting, bad engine, bad combat. I wouldn't even consider them in Bioware's league.

Fudgeblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Fudgeblood

Bioware makes much more old school type of RPG's where-as Bethesda makes more simple, open, action oriented RPG's.   

Bethesda games, whilst more open, also seem very dead. Every character is soulless and boring to talk to and alot of your choices seem to make no difference to the world around you at all.  But with Bioware games you can get really attached to the characters, and your choices feel like they are actually important.

I personally prefer Bioware for their story telling and characters, not to mention they're quite polished, unlike Bethesda games, but I wouldn't limit my self to only one developer.

mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By mordecaix7
@xyzygy said:
" @mordecaix7 said:
" I've dropped Bioware completely.  If it's developed by Bioware, I want no part of it.  Their stories are fantastic but I cannot stand the gameplay the story is wrapped around.  I loathe it.  I played through Knights of The Old Republic and said never again. "
Have you played Mass Effect? It's totally different than Dragon Age or KOTOR "
I did but didn't get far and it was right after I finished Knights of The Old Republic.  I've been wondering if I quit ME simply because I was burned out on Kotor.  It plays differently but geez those retarded dialogue trees.... tedious to me.
rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By rjayb89

Bioware.  Bioware.  Bioware.

CrystaljDesign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CrystaljDesign

I've put 150 hours into Fallout 3 and probably the same into Morrowind. I only put about 30 in Oblivion, I couldn't get into it. That being said, I love the KOTOR-style Bioware offerings, but I am having a hard time getting into Dragon Age, might be the combat and difficulty.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Bioware.   
As much as I loved Morrowind, it had a lot of flaws..  and Oblivion felt like a step in the wrong direction. 

Fallout was an improvement, but still suffered from many of the same flaws.  I'm interested to see what they'll do with Elder Scrolls V, but if I were going to pick one developer of the two, it'd be Bioware.  Much better stories, settings, character development..  Not as open, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Belonpopo

Has bioware made anythign thats not a RPGs? I know Bethesda made Wet i thought that game was pretty good.

threeve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By threeve

I  played Morrowwind for many many many hours in college.  But I never finished the story.  It just got boring after all those hours of not really doing much.  I started Oblivion a while back.  Got my Fighter's Guild membership called into question and they told me to collect bear pelts and wolf pelts or some shit.  I'll pass.  Maybe got 3 hours in before that happened.  Haven't played it since and don't intend to.  I still played Fallout 3 and it was AWESOME  for the first several hours (largely based on atmosphere and nostalgia as well as the scarcity of ammo etc.), but by the time I got halfway through it was definitely inferior to the original 2d fallouts (in my opinion) and I didn't really like the way it ended.  Never played any DLC.   So I have a mostly negative opinion of Bethesda, as in, I think they make games that a lot of people think are awesome but I don't really like much at all.

Bioware on the other hand.....  I will sing their praises.  Better stories, better gameplay, better package in my opinion.  Loved Mass Effect, KOTOR, Baldur's Gate Series, but haven't plated DA:O yet.  Immensely looking forward to playing ME2 and Dragon Age, but I'm not a day 1 buyer.  Probably will be next year for ME2 to be honest.  I'll buy it for $10 on steam next christmas....

In short, Bioware all the way!

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22  Edited By Geno

Didn't like Fallout 3 and am indifferent towards Oblivion. Mass Effect on the other hand is one of my top 5 RPG's of all time, so definitely Bioware for me. 

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Diamond

I strongly prefer Bethesda, they've been doing such amazing games for so long and always hated for fucking dumb reasons on the internet.  Bioware on the other hand has been making games with much of the same mechanics for decades, rarely evolving, and people sing their praises.  Bethesda makes truly unique, extremely complicated open world experiences.  Bioware makes story-driven branching linear RPGs.

It's completely inexplicable to me, maybe it's because I don't value story so much in RPGs and prefer solid gameplay mechanics over pressing the 'cast spell 1A' button and waiting for a dice roll.

I guess I feel like everything Bioware does, JRPG makers do better.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#24  Edited By Cerza

Bioware tend to tell better stories in their games while Bethesda makes more immersive and interesting worlds. I don't think one is better than the other. They are equal in my mind. I'd say give Mass Effect a go despite not really caring for Dragon Age. If you don't like Mass Effect then I can't help you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As much as I like the Bioware games, they really suck at that DLC thing, hard. Their recent strategy of cutting out whole party members in order to sell "special editions" and offer them as overpriced "day one DLC" for the other players is nothing but aggravating - $50 for the trimmed standard version is still a lot of money. The quality of their proper DLC has been subpar so far, especially compared to Fallout 3.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jimbo

Overall, I would have to say Bioware because of their exceptional back catalogue, but I think Fallout 3 is better than anything Bioware have done recently.  I did really like the world and freedom offered by Morrowind and Oblivion, but I never felt like they did a lot with them.

@atomic_dumpling said:

" As much as I like the Bioware games, they really suck at that DLC thing, hard. Their recent strategy of cutting out whole party members in order to sell "special editions" and offer them as overpriced "day one DLC" for the other players is nothing but aggravating - $50 for the trimmed standard version is still a lot of money. The quality of their proper DLC has been subpar so far, especially compared to Fallout 3. "
That didn't happen - Shale was free DLC with every new copy of the game.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#27  Edited By citizenkane

They have two very different styles of developing RPGs that it would be hard to compare them.  LIke EpicSteve said, be wary for becoming a developer fanboy.

Avatar image for supersecretagenda
SuperSecretAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotta go with Bioware. No Bethesda game has ever truly hooked me like a Bioware game.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By sopranosfan

RPGs are a funny critter even RPG fans like myself will ALWAYS find a very popular and highly respected RPG that they can't stand.  For example I love both of these developers and play everything they come out with but I can't stand KOTOR and I even like Star Wars.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Fallen189

Bioware have only ever made one story ever, they just mail merge it.

haethos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By haethos

I have an intense dislike for Morrowind/Oblivion/Fallout 3. I loved Mass Effect, so I'm a BioWare fan, I guess? 

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I didn't play wrpg games before, mass effect and oblivion were my first ones, I really liked those games. I also like dragon age orgins and disliked fallout 3. I thought I would like that game because it's oblivion with guns, however I find it lacks any style compared to mass effect. I like bioware even if I didn't play all their games before, they seem to be able to make good rpg games.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ryanwho

I would say now that Bethesda is working with id and idtech, Bioware doesn't stand a chance. They'll just keep remixing other people's ideas and calling themselves pioneers. In a future where Bethesda has idtech and Obsidian is making a serious Black Isle era comeback and great Euro devs like CD projekt are coming out of nowhere and From Software is reliving its Kings Field days with Demon's Souls, I can't imagine Bioware staying in the lead or even keeping up in a couple years unless they're suddenly building their shit on Crytech or something.

ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By ColinWright
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

I didn't play wrpg games before, mass effect and oblivion were my first ones, I really liked those games. I also like dragon age orgins and disliked fallout 3. I thought I would like that game because it's oblivion with guns, however I find it lacks any style compared to mass effect. I like bioware even if I didn't play all their games before, they seem to be able to make good rpg games.

"
Please dont say that. You know its not true
warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By warxsnake

Bethesda's unstable engines always ruin their games for me.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@ryanwho said:
" I would say now that Bethesda is working with id and idtech, Bioware doesn't stand a chance. They'll just keep remixing other people's ideas and calling themselves pioneers. In a future where Bethesda has idtech and Obsidian is making a serious Black Isle era comeback and great Euro devs like CD projekt are coming out of nowhere and From Software is reliving its Kings Field days with Demon's Souls, I can't imagine Bioware staying in the lead or even keeping up in a couple years unless they're suddenly building their shit on Crytech or something. "
How are Bethesda any different? 

Bioware have at least been advancing and improving their games as they've gone on..  Where as Bethesda's have been getting dumber and dumber.  But l don't see how you could consider Oblivion or Fallout any kind of advancement or even improvement over Morrowind and Daggerfall.  Like I said previously, they were actually massive step backwards.  Besides the technology improving and providing bigger/more detailed areas, of course.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jimbo said:
That didn't happen - Shale was free DLC with every new copy of the game. "
Until the code becomes invalid in a couple of weeks.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ryanwho
@WinterSnowblind:
I'm not a huge fan of either really, but Bioware is the company always bloviating and patting itself on the back so its easier to not like them as much. And again, Bethesda's working with id now. The first step is admitting you have a problem. They know their engines are fucked up and now they won't be. Fallout 3 and Mass Effect were both equally boring to play and both equally entertaining in regard to dialogue, so yes, they're about the same in that regard. Bioware's stories tend to be more concise, that's all I'd give them over Bethesda. But I don't play games for stories because even good games stories are kind of dimestore. Bethesda isn't pretending its something its not, they're not making up new genre labels for their Baldur's Gate reskinned game as if they touched on something so unique it transcended existing labels. In my mind, the two are about equally talented but Bioware's hubris makes me want them to fuck up.
dyslekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By dyslekt
I have love for bouth. Greate developers, greate games. Spread the love internet ;)
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jimbo
@atomic_dumpling said:
" @Jimbo said:
That didn't happen - Shale was free DLC with every new copy of the game. "
Until the code becomes invalid in a couple of weeks. "
That doesn't happen either.
General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By General_D23

Both Bioware and Bethesda have very different ways of making RPGs, and both of them are very valid. I happen to like both directions.
Avatar image for fish_face_mcgee
Fish_Face_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Fish_Face_McGee

I have never enjoyed Fallout or Oblivion as much as I have loved KOTOR, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, or Dragon Age. Don't get me started on Morrowind.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#43  Edited By Nasar7

I have no great love for Bioware, all their games feel the same to me. The last one I really liked was KOTOR 1, I stopped playing KOTOR 2 a few hours in because it felt like I was playing the exact same game.  

Dragon Age is not my brand of rpg. Jade Empire felt really generic to me, it's the reason I haven't beaten it yet and probably never will. Been meaning to play Mass Effect, but the been there, done that feel of Bioware games is hard to avoid for me which makes me always stop just short of finally playing it. Still I wanna give it a shot soon, especially with all the great things I've heard about it and the hype surrounding ME2.

I love Bethesda but I wish they would stop talking about Fallout and give us more about TES V. I think they've learned a lot since Morrowind came out and I wanna see how they apply all these different things to the next game in the franchise. 

In the end both devs have specific things they are very good at and do better than any other dev. A real rpg fan's dream would be some sort of collaborative effort between the two companies.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#44  Edited By Venatio

Bioware wins 

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#45  Edited By AndrewB
@Belonpopo said:
"

Has bioware made anythign thats not a RPGs? I know Bethesda made Wet i thought that game was pretty good.

"
Bethesda didn't make Wet, they simply published it. Bioware isn't a publisher, and, no, they've never made anything other than RPGs, that I know of. I'm okay with that since, at least for me, every single one of their games have been enjoyable. Yes, even the Sonic RPG (although I admit that I didn't play much of it). A developer might as well stick with what they're good with/have a passion for.

I'd say play Mass Effect if you also want to play the sequel. The third person shooter-ness of it makes it a lot more like Fallout 3 than Dragon Age, from a completely gameplay standpoint. Just be prepared for a little disappointment, as I don't think the gameplay stands the test of time very well. which is why I suggest playing it if you also intend to pick up Mass Effect 2, because the sequel looks like it's going to modernize the shooter aspect of it quite a bit.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Wow, Bioware made Dragon Age?! How did I not know that? Wow, now maybe I really should play it.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#47  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

I can't believe someone would think these two companies was some sort of "Coke vs Pepsi" affair. That's nuts.  I actually like both.  I've S-ranked Fallout 3, the first EVER Bethesda game I've ever played & loved it.  However, I've played NWN 1/2 & all the spin-offs, Mass Effect (finished it twice but no S-rank), AND I'm almost done with my first play through of Dragon Age: Online (I love it to death).

Basically I can't imagine picking one over another when there is so much high quality coming from both companies.  Being this picky about which one is better just seems so...anal to me.  I guess it's time for you to seek employment or get a raise so you can afford games from both vendors, if it's a money issue you have.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#48  Edited By Jeust
@ryanwho said:

" I would say now that Bethesda is working with id and idtech, Bioware doesn't stand a chance. They'll just keep remixing other people's ideas and calling themselves pioneers. In a future where Bethesda has idtech and Obsidian is making a serious Black Isle era comeback and great Euro devs like CD projekt are coming out of nowhere and From Software is reliving its Kings Field days with Demon's Souls, I can't imagine Bioware staying in the lead or even keeping up in a couple years unless they're suddenly building their shit on Crytech or something. "

Possibly, since... 

@Fallen189 said: 

" Bioware have only ever made one story ever, they just mail merge it. "

Giving each of their games slight improvements over the previous ones, despite all the hype.  

@Diamond said: 

" I strongly prefer Bethesda, they've been doing such amazing games for so long and always hated for fucking dumb reasons on the internet.  Bioware on the other hand has been making games with much of the same mechanics for decades, rarely evolving, and people sing their praises.  Bethesda makes truly unique, extremely complicated open world experiences.  Bioware makes story-driven branching linear RPGs.  It's completely inexplicable to me, maybe it's because I don't value story so much in RPGs and prefer solid gameplay mechanics over pressing the 'cast spell 1A' button and waiting for a dice roll.  I guess I feel like everything Bioware does, JRPG makers do better. "

Also this, except the jrpgs comparison, as Bioware and jrpgs makers each one make very different stories. 

@Cerza
 said: 

" Bioware tend to tell better stories in their games while Bethesda makes more immersive and interesting worlds. I don't think one is better than the other. They are equal in my mind."

I agree with this too, despite the fact that the plots in the Bioware games are getting more and more repetitive.

So with not much surprise, i prefer Bethesda. 
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49  Edited By Red

BioWare. 
Even if Oblivion had decent combat, animation, didn't freeze up on me all the time, sidequests that weren't just overblown fetch quests, a better main storyline and decent voice acting, it still wouldn't be anywhere near the quality of most BioWare games. 
Jade Empire and KoTOR rank very highly among my favorite games of all time, from their succinct style, cinematic combat, and overall epicness that I never really felt with Oblivion. 
Knights of the Old Republic was one of the main games that actually got me serious about gaming, whereas with most Bethesda games I just feel like it's just a missed opportunity.

ApolloJ85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#50  Edited By ApolloJ85

Both developers have good and bad points. 

Bioware tends to have the same story in most of their games, just rehashed with different characters and settings. At least that's what it has felt like recently. 
It's been said before, but it needs saying again: they also suck when it comes to producing DLC. 
In general though, their games are well made - they have an obvious love of the RPG genre, and that shines through. 

Bethesda has games that I feel are highly immersive, contain great ideas, and are as buggy as a nest of scythids. 
They also have a history of producing high quality DLC (that are also janky). The exception being horse armor. 

I love both developers, and would pick up any of their new games in a heartbeat.