Big Bangs & Squelching Stutters

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Edited By buzz_clik

Big Bang Mini's Challenge mode is another great facet to this little gem of a title.
Big Bang Mini's Challenge mode is another great facet to this little gem of a title.
I've just finished the main Arcade mode in Big Bang Mini for the DS. What a great little game it was! If I had to chop it up and unceremoniously stuff the bits into a heap of pigeonholes, I'd say it was a cutesy stylus-driven shooter with overtones of Rez and the occasional bullet hell lurking behind its smiling exterior. It's very addictive, easy to get into and constantly throwing interesting play mechanics at you.

The art style(s) of this game left me grinning from the slick inventiveness on display. With the exception of the last, each 'zone' is based around a country, and each country has a distinct flavour to the graphics. What really impressed me about this, however, is that even though the style of each zone is different, there's a sense of cohesion and common identity running throughout.

Now I've finished Arcade mode (and it should be noted it didn't take all that long) I've unlocked Mission mode. This contains a bunch of levels to attempt, where a certain requirement must be met to complete each level properly. I've only completed 6 of them, and they've ranged from finishing a level within a set time to having a finite number of shots available. I can foresee myself being hooked on this sweet game for a little while longer yet...

The other thing I've just got my hands on is Korg DS-10. Only played around with it for a little while, but it's really easy to use and heaps of fun. Manipulating and tweaking the sounds is a doddle, and the rewiring is handled as you'd see in a more expansive piece of music software. A great little toy that will no doubt be the bane of my girlfriend's life for the near future.

Signing off, here's another bit of my gaming collection. It's the retail version of the Sega Mega Jet, which was used on Japan Airlines planes as in-flight entertainment. Basically a cut-down version of the Mega Drive (that's the Genesis to Stateside readers), it was hooked up to small screen so you could play games during your journey. If you wanted, you could even bring your own cartridges with you to play on the plane. Man, I would have loved to be playing Ranger X as I zoomed around the skies...

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By buzz_clik

I've just finished the main Arcade mode in Big Bang Mini for the DS. What a great little game it was! If I had to chop it up and unceremoniously stuff the bits into a heap of pigeonholes, I'd say it was a cutesy stylus-driven shooter with overtones of Rez and the occasional bullet hell lurking behind its smiling exterior. It's very addictive, easy to get into and constantly throwing interesting play mechanics at you.

The art style(s) of this game left me grinning from the slick inventiveness on display. With the exception of the last, each 'zone' is based around a country, and each country has a distinct flavour to the graphics. What really impressed me about this, however, is that even though the style of each zone is different, there's a sense of cohesion and common identity running throughout.

Now I've finished Arcade mode (and it should be noted it didn't take all that long) I've unlocked Mission mode. This contains a bunch of levels to attempt, where a certain requirement must be met to complete each level properly. I've only completed 6 of them, and they've ranged from finishing a level within a set time to having a finite number of shots available. I can foresee myself being hooked on this sweet game for a little while longer yet...

The other thing I've just got my hands on is Korg DS-10. Only played around with it for a little while, but it's really easy to use and heaps of fun. Manipulating and tweaking the sounds is a doddle, and the rewiring is handled as you'd see in a more expansive piece of music software. A great little toy that will no doubt be the bane of my girlfriend's life for the near future.

Signing off, here's another bit of my gaming collection. It's the retail version of the Sega Mega Jet, which was used on Japan Airlines planes as in-flight entertainment. Basically a cut-down version of the Mega Drive (that's the Genesis to Stateside readers), it was hooked up to small screen so you could play games during your journey. If you wanted, you could even bring your own cartridges with you to play on the plane. Man, I would have loved to be playing Ranger X as I zoomed around the skies...

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By ThomasP

Big Bang has seen lots of praise, but there are so many other games for the DS I'd rather have. Some oldies I never got around to purchasing like Dual Strike and Hunters.

The Mega Jet is pretty cool. I wish they did things that way in North America.