Big performance difference with new graphics card?

snakeitachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By snakeitachi

Hello guys, I have a AMD Radeon 6670 with a AMD FX 4100 Cpu and I was wondering since I am new to pc gaming if I get a 660 ti with my FX 4100 will there be a huge performance difference? Will my FX 4100 3.6 Ghz quad core bottleneck it (660ti) in any way? Thanks! Not to harsh as I have seen many people on the forms and giant bomb isn't the friendliest site it was quite awhile ago.

Icemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Icemo
AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By AlexW00d

That processor won't bottleneck your PC unless you're playing games that are super CPU intensive. ArmA 2, Total War, etc

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By colourful_hippie

You'll get a nice boost but your CPU will begin to drag with games that use up a lot of processing power like open world games.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RazielCuts

@snakeitachi said:

Not to harsh as I have seen many people on the forms and giant bomb isn't the friendliest site it was quite awhile ago.

You catch more with honey than vinegar.

snakeitachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By snakeitachi

I thank everyone for the advice but it seems mixed so far, i need a definate answer and ill be a bit more specfic i just want to run high end games at 1080p at max graphics. Will the 660ti with the fx 4100 do the job?

snakeitachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By snakeitachi

@Colourful_Hippie: when you say a ''nice boost'' i hope that means being able to run games at max and at 1080p?

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#8  Edited By Kidavenger

A 660ti is a major upgrade over what you currently have, you will probably also need to upgrade your power supply also as the 6670 is probably the best GPU that doesn't need an upgraded power supply and that is generally the only reason people use those cards.

Your CPU won't be a bottleneck for 99% of games, there are really only a few games out there that are CPU intensive and @AlexW00d mentioned most of them, and even then, it's not like they won't work, they will certainly be better than what you have now.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By colourful_hippie

@snakeitachi said:

@Colourful_Hippie: when you say a ''nice boost'' i hope that means being able to run games at max and at 1080p?

Yeah, I have a 660 ti and I can basically do just that. Just don't expect to be able to indulge in all of the DX 11 visual flairs in some games and also maintain 60 fps.

snakeitachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By snakeitachi

@Kidavenger: Awesome! the 660 ti looks like a really really great card for just 300$ My power supply is 500W and the 6670 uses 108 wats and the 660 ti uses 150W should i get a new power supply and how many watts?

Also i am notcing that my screen goes black for a instant every now and then its not frequent but its annoying i heard its a gpu issue, is it overheating?

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Zelyre

The 6670 is an all right card. But that's just it. It's ok. You're going to see a -huge- performance boost upgrading to a 660ti. Just to put things in perspective, my GF's computer has a 6670 in it. My old 5870 was easily twice as fast. I upgraded my 5870 to a 6950 (Which trades blows with the 660ti.) and just about doubled my frame rates.

Will your processor bottleneck your video card? The FX 4100 is pretty fast and you shouldn't see any real performance loss in any game unless you're trying to do physx stuff on the processor. But that will kill any processor. For regular gaming, you won't really notice a thing unless you're benchmarking and running at low resolutions where the GPU never gets stressed. And even then, you're looking at 160fps on a overclocked Corei7 vs. 100fps on your stock FX 4100.

Even if it did bottleneck you, you'd be much happier with the 660ti. The FX4100's going to give you very good performance, and even if your GPU is holding back performance, you can start cranking antialiasing, AF, SSAO, etc.

snakeitachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By snakeitachi

@Zelyre: Thank you! the 6670 only runs high end games at struggles to keep a decent fps at average resolutions with very low and few med settings im sick of it and i want to experince pc gaming the way its meant to be, this card should do the trick!