• 89 results
#1 Edited by Humanity (8808 posts) -

I guess because Rorie doesn't appear that often on video content I didn't know what to expect and honestly my expectations were shaky - but man was he great for the entire livestream. Not only did he appear completely awake and mostly coherent for the duration of the entire event but he rotated games regularly so nothing ever got stale. He constantly answered chat questions and generally shared interesting stories about his time at Obsidian, his role at GB, so on and so forth. Not to mention that phenomenal Spelunky run while half-intoxicated - pulling off some incredible moves and beating Olmec on his first try.

So big props to Matt Rorie for an awesome stream and hopefully we can see him get out of customer support a bit more often to see him on screen!

LINK to past Twitch broadcasts

#2 Edited by Yummylee (21249 posts) -

I didn't watch all of it (tuned out during the SRIV and Hearthstone segments), but what I did watch made for a fun time -- his consistence in audience participation definitely made it more engaging than most of the site's run-of-the-mill livestreams. And that Spelunky run was legendary; seeing him dying those few times during the tutorial had me figure he would be bumbling through the whole thing, only for him to completely pull the rug from beneath me. The man's clearly played a lot of Spelunky in the past, but it was still impressive all the same.

#3 Posted by Zornack (190 posts) -

Yup, I stand by my decleration that Rorie is secretly the second best GB live streamer, second only to Vinny.

#4 Posted by AmatureIdiot (1076 posts) -

Totally agree, I think it's a real shame Rorie isn't in an editorial role; I think he is wasted in a back room role.

#5 Posted by erhard (388 posts) -
@humanity said:

I guess because Rorie doesn't appear that often on video content

He is in almost all premium content, isn't he?

#6 Edited by AMyggen (2536 posts) -

Yeah, really enjoyed what I saw of it! Hoping it gets uploaded to the site (Danny's stuff will be since they recorded it) so I don't have to watch what I missed through Twitch's awful player.

#7 Posted by ManMadeGod (1552 posts) -

@yummylee said:

-- his consistence in audience participation definitely made it more engaging than most of the site's run-of-the-mill livestreams.

This. It always bothered me on other live-streams when the crew would have thousands of users watching....... and take maybe 1 question/comment from the chat.

#8 Posted by dudeglove (7685 posts) -

I think he is wasted in a back room role.

Wasted on bathtub gin?

#9 Posted by Corwag (82 posts) -

Totally agree. He even stayed for a while into the Danny portion of the stream. Highly enjoyable.

#10 Posted by Humanity (8808 posts) -

@erhard: I dont know what the statistics are but I only seem to remember seeing him from time to time. Either way I'd like to see more Rorie!

#11 Posted by Yummylee (21249 posts) -

@erhard said:
@humanity said:

I guess because Rorie doesn't appear that often on video content

He is in almost all premium content, isn't he?

He's nearly always sitting in on UPF, though only to monitor the chat. He was also in the Dark Souls and Volgarr LPs too, and of course there's the occasional movie podcast every, like, 5 months. He's in a surprising amount, but when it comes to game streams he's never the one steering the ship, which is what made this charity stream somewhat novel.

#12 Edited by Humanity (8808 posts) -

@yummylee: I absolutely agree that it was mainly his consistent attention to the chat and interacting with the community that made this stream so great. I mean he managed to keep answering various questions for 11+ hours. Rorie has always been great at that though. Any time he manages chat in a livestream I can guarantee that he will usually answer my question despite hundreds of people messaging him at the same time. He's really dedicated to interacting with the community in a non-patronizing way which is something that I greatly appreciate and is something that is a little lacking on the site.

#13 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10471 posts) -

Agreed!

#14 Posted by Nightriff (4915 posts) -

Any news on if it will be archived? If not at least it is on twitch? Watched a little of it and seemed really good.

#15 Posted by Humanity (8808 posts) -

@nightriff: It's on Twitch, just go to the Giant Bomb channel and check previous broadcasts

#16 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5226 posts) -

I checked back in throughout the day and the little bits I saw were great. I'm actually working my way through the Twitch archive right now. Here is a link to Rorie's Stream and Danny's Stream for anyone who wants to watch before they put it up on the site.

#17 Posted by Drebin_893 (2902 posts) -

Absolutely, was entertaining the whole way through. Thanks for the stream Rorie.

#18 Posted by wemibelec90 (1549 posts) -

I still think he is much better as a writer (as he tends to stumble over his own words frequently when speaking), but he is always a good sport and can be interesting to listen to.

#19 Posted by Dan_CiTi (3171 posts) -

He was great in Danny's half of the stream as well.

#20 Posted by AMyggen (2536 posts) -

@nightriff: Danny's stream will at least be archived, since they recorded it in-house like they usually do. Rorie's stream was only recorded on Twitch, but so was Brad's stream for Extra Life and that was uploaded to Twitch. But you've always got the Twitch archive as a back up, even if that player is absolute garbage.

#21 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1538 posts) -

How do I view streams Giant Bomb has done on Twitch?

#22 Posted by YoThatLimp (1880 posts) -

I don't understand why they don't give him the the Sr editor position and hire someone business oriented to run the community and business side of things to free everyone up for more content.

#23 Edited by Chop (1994 posts) -
@humanity said:

@yummylee: I absolutely agree that it was mainly his consistent attention to the chat and interacting with the community that made this stream so great. I mean he managed to keep answering various questions for 11+ hours. Rorie has always been great at that though. Any time he manages chat in a livestream I can guarantee that he will usually answer my question despite hundreds of people messaging him at the same time. He's really dedicated to interacting with the community in a non-patronizing way which is something that I greatly appreciate and is something that is a little lacking on the site.

I recently had trouble with my premium and ended up emailing GB support about it. Rorie replied to me within five minutes. At 10:00 PM. On a Saturday.

Rorie is fucking awesome.

#24 Posted by JackSukeru (5903 posts) -

Yeah I like Rorie a lot and don't even mind it when he's a little akward, it just ends up being endearing. His presence greatly contributed to the Volgarr streams and since then I'm always a little sad when a recurring series doesn't feature him.

#25 Posted by wonderva (34 posts) -

For me, the two big MVPs of the stream were @rorie and @ltsquigs. Rorie was very good in keeping the audience engaged since he seemed pretty wide away (might have helped that there was no webcam on him) was just a funny guy - even when he tried not to be. The highlights were that EPIC spelunky run (even though he had beaten it on VITA a few times, I think he said was new to PC version), the Outlast run that he couldn't focus on hiding since he was talking about this past, and his total domination of Scene It when he playing against Danny.

Ian's Lifeguard play was so engaging and kept me away during the second half of Danny/Alexis/Ian (I too am on the west coast). I found myself cheering for Ian as I did for TeamBrad mile high club. His determination to beat a crappy, total BS game was fantastic.

#26 Posted by development (2068 posts) -

Look, I'm gonna be totally honest: Rorie can have bad days. Some days he talks too much and some days he doesn't pay enough attention to the main conversation that's happening around him in group settings. That being said, I watched the beginning and the final 3/5ths of his stream and it went really well. His Spelunky and Alpha Protocol segments were great, among others. I actually ran into that same turret bug on that first AP mission and avoided turrets like the plague for the rest of the game.

Oh yeah, and Rorie is great at his job, too. It shows that he works super hard. I vicariously get slightly stressed out just imagining all the shit he's gotta run through on a day-to-day basis. Seems hectic.

#27 Edited by GodlyOne (138 posts) -

Agreed, that was a great stream from Rorie. I didn't even realize that he was streaming from the office until Danny showed up near the end and started talking, for the whole time I thought he was just streaming from home. Also fantastic was him beasting in movie trivia, he has the same level of crazy knowledge about movies as Jeff has about games.

Kind of a bummer though that his talent is being wasted since he mentioned that he still wanted to write. Give him an editor position and all the puppies and Emma Stones he can handle!

#28 Posted by Kaiserreich (684 posts) -

Rorie is great. Wish we got to see more of him.

#29 Posted by FinalDasa (1493 posts) -

I was surprised when the final hours came up because I was highly entertained throughout almost the entirety of the 11 hour run.

Great job Rorie!

#30 Posted by me3639 (1725 posts) -

Rorie is so underutilized. i dont know what his actual duties entail, but more of him writing, commenting and sharing his opinions would be welcome. Also, Rorie has mad skills and that is no lie. If you all think Jeff is the best game player on the crew, i would suggest you watch Rorie make everything look downright stupid simple. Not that i ever doubt anyones gaming skills, god know we have played a lot, but damn it was just crazy how easy he made everything seem.

Funniest moment, for me, as soon as i logged on screen pops up and i hear, "Fuck! Goddammit! Im Petrified! {sigh}" in that Rorie everything will be ok tone.

#31 Posted by PimblyCharles (1315 posts) -

It was a joy and pleasure to watch him play Alpha Protocol and talk about his role in the development of it and working at Obsidian. Big props to Rorie indeed!

#32 Posted by TheHT (10880 posts) -

It was great! Both streams. Good time all around.

#33 Posted by SteadyingMeat (1113 posts) -
@humanity said:

He's really dedicated to interacting with the community in a non-patronizing way which is something that I greatly appreciate and is something that is a little lacking on the site.

I'd say it's more than a little lacking, but yeah, I agree. Definitely one of my favorite things about him.

It was a joy and pleasure to watch him play Alpha Protocol and talk about his role in the development of it and working at Obsidian. Big props to Rorie indeed!

AND WHAT I MUST SEE

#34 Edited by baka_shinji17 (186 posts) -

Puppies.

#35 Posted by Mycroft_Ampersand (75 posts) -

Rorie definitely did a great job with the stream, especially with how much more difficult something so lengthy must be to do without anyone else to banter with. He was constantly interacting with everyone and answering questions, even throwing up polls mid-game which made the whole stream really engaging to watch live.

Does anyone know if Rorie is going to post whether or not the donation goal that he was talking about was reached?

#36 Posted by nomaxfa (2 posts) -

@chop: Can confirm. Asked for an option to buy a subscription without the T-shirt, because shipping costs for europe are a bitch. A week or two later (it was around E3 time) and i got the e-mail with the link to buy the subscription without the t-shirt + even a couple months extra to make up for having no shirt but still paying 50 bucks at the time ! So, yeah, Rorie always is a pleasure to watch when he is on a show, and has been super helpful .

#37 Edited by forteexe21 (298 posts) -

Still bummed he did the daily. Should have stopped while at the top! The streak should have been unbeaten!

#38 Posted by AMyggen (2536 posts) -

@mycroft_ampersand: It's impossible to know since the charity site was down for the entire stream, so the only way you could donate was to a pay pal account. And they don't track from which streamer the individual donations come from.

Anyways, Danny confirmed that neither stream would be uploaded to the site. So Twitch's Garbage VoD player it is.

#39 Posted by Humanity (8808 posts) -

@me3639: He mentioned in the stream that his duties are basically tech/client support, and he does it for both GiantBomb and ComicVine which seems a bit much for one guy. He says that any time someone signs up for a membership using PayPal he has to put it through manually himself. Basically he handles all the backend logistics.

#40 Posted by Mycroft_Ampersand (75 posts) -

@amyggen: That's a shame. I knew that the charity site was done for the stream but I wasn't sure whether or not there was still a way to track the donations. Oh well, the important thing is that there was still a way to donate to the charity even though the actual site was down.

Thanks AMyggen.

#41 Posted by FengShuiGod (1478 posts) -

I've always thought Rorie was underrated. He is also one of the better writers on the site. I still remember his write up on Demon Souls, or Dark Souls, or whatever, being way better than any review. Maybe he doesn't come across as the most glib of the guys, but I have no problem with him. At least he doesn't say like as much as Patrick. (I love you Patrick)

#42 Posted by GorillaMoPena (1926 posts) -

youre a big prop

#43 Posted by ThunderSlash (1548 posts) -

Yeah, Rorie needs to be on more Quick Looks!

#44 Posted by fisk0 (3849 posts) -

Yup, both of these streams were fantastic to watch. The Danny/Ian/Alexis stream was hilarious, but Rorie's was actually engaging and interesting.

#45 Posted by cav86 (76 posts) -

Well done Rorie, great work on the livestream

#46 Posted by MB (11969 posts) -

It was lots of fun. I'm sick this weekend, at one point in the evening I woke up during Lifeguard and thought I was having a fever dream, a stroke, or perhaps both.

#47 Posted by Slag (4001 posts) -

Mads props to Rorie, I could only catch 10 minutes, but I could tell he was killin it.

A Pro's pro.

#48 Posted by bboymaestro (129 posts) -

The guy's a class act, Danny, too. They went hard in the paint.

#49 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -

He definitely did a good job on his own.

Though I do have a pet peeve involving people starting sentences and not finishing them... haha.

I want a shirt with Rorie's perfectly happy and smiling face, and have a caption that reads "Shit. Fuck. God dammit."

#50 Posted by Capum15 (4809 posts) -
@mb said:

It was lots of fun. I'm sick this weekend, at one point in the evening I woke up during Lifeguard and thought I was having a fever dream, a stroke, or perhaps both.

A dream-stroke? I have those all the ti...oh, wait, I think I'm thinking of something else.

Anyway, I'm happy to hear that he did awesomely. I hope it gets archived onto the site, though I will look at the twitch archive if not, since I missed his whole bit. I managed to catch most of the second act with Danny, Ian and Alexis though, and that was...special. GB really needs to re-steal Ian and regular steal Danny.

'Tis a shame Lifeguard was never completed...though it may be for the better. I don't know if my mind could have taken more without shattering completely.