• 193 results
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

@rafaelfc said:

The only game that really disappointed me was Mario & Luigi: Dream Team.

I was really stoked for it, but stopped playing after about 4 hours with it and feel no need to continue. What a boring slog of a game.

I generally liked it, but those giant QTE boss battles were just some of the worst gameplay experiences I've ever had.

wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

There was lots of bad this year, but my rock bottom expectations going into most games means I'm rarely disappointed as I more often than not pleasantly surprised or validated in what I thought was going to happen. The one exception I can think of was AC4. After all the talk of how great it was and how different it was from AC3 on this site that one week where it seemed like they did nothing but talk about it, I let myself get excited and into that game. What made it worse was that the first few hours of the game made it seem like it had lived up to that and then I just started getting terrible mission after terrible mission. There was a good 3-4 hours where everything I did in that game was those frustrating/annoying trail a guy missions -and don't get caught or you gotta do it all over again!- and it just took all the wind out of my sails. I ended up powering through it, but so much of that game is still just more of the same crap. Which was a huge bummer to me and I was really hoping they would have expanded on some of the mission designs. Guess it was my own fault for letting myself think differently. Especially for a franchise that's being milked yearly and at the end of a console cycle.

I was also really bummed by Rome 2. The Japan one they did before was the first time I was finally able to get that game to click with me and I really liked the series. As much as I love me some Japan, I have had a thing for the whole ancient Roman motif and I love everything about it. So I was super excited going into that game. I can't really put my finger on it, besides the terrible AI, but I just never had fun with it. I'm thinking of giving it another try again here soon, but I'm not expecting much to change from the 13 hours I put into it the first time around.

Sim City goes without saying.

I could not believe the tail a person/ship missions were so frequent and it really changed my opinion on AC IV. I love the pirate settings but those missions were dreadful, i hope the user feedback stuff is legit and they actually use it.

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#103  Edited By ProfessorK

Honestly, I was only disappointed that Arkham: Origins was a glitch ridden mess. The gameplay and story aside, the technical issues marred this game so hard for me.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

The Cave made me respect Alex Navarro's editorial opinion a lot more. I was super pumped for the game, but when I saw Alex give it a 3 star score, I figured "he probably just doesn't like adventure games that much." and bought it anyways. Upon being tremendously let down, I went back and saw nearly every one of my problems with the game cited in Alex's review. In short, I'm sorry I doubted you, @alex.

On the subject, The Cave confirmed my suspicions brought on by DeathSpank: Thongs of Virtue of just how much Ron Gilbert needs Tim Schafer.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#105  Edited By GiantLizardKing

I've been pretty disappointed by Tomb Raider considering all the great things I heard about it, post-release. I've probably played 4 or 5 hours and it hasn't grabbed me yet, which probably means that I should stop.

xXHesekielXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Battlefield 4!!

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I'm going to go with Dead Space 3. I'm not even upset about the action-y focus of it because after 2 games of one dude fighting the same shit, of course he's not going to have the same apprehension diving into these situations. The bigger problem is just that it isn't very exciting in how it goes about it. It never came close to the highs of either of the previous games and was an unsatisfying experience

Palmlykta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm Still disappointed with Diablo 3...

Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

SimCity and The Cave were pretty big let downs.

spookytapes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SimCity.

metalhammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman Arkham Origins for me. I've started it and found myself with no desire to go back to it.

bmehlers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I was disappointed in God of War: Ascension, I didn't like the way they changed the combat and it felt kind of lifeless and unsatisfying. Also Bioshock Infinite, mainly because it was spoiled for me. I just finished it yesterday, but when it first came out I was looking on Amazon to see how the PS3 version came out and there was a thread title with the ending spoiler. I hoped that it was wrong, or I would forget it by the time I played it, but nope.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By stryker1121

Dead Space 3 was a bummer..they basically took the last few stages of DS2, where tension is supposedly derived from having a million enemies thrown at you, and made it the whole game...well at least as far as I got. The whole 'push button, release monsters' formula got old for me and those damn, annoying regen necromorphs were brought back early on. I like the franchise but if EA ever decides to bring it back, I hope it's a return to survival horror-ish roots.

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#115  Edited By LegalBagel

SimCity pretty much has to be at the top. High expectations, lots of hype, beloved series. And we get broken design, terrible launch, and tiny cities.

Outside of that, GTAV was a disappointment for me. I liked some of the characters, but the world was boring, driving around got tedious, and most of the missions just weren't fun. Too many advances have been made by other open world games for Rockstar to just keep ignoring them. Will be interesting how it's handled in GOTY, since I think Jeff was the only one who really liked the game. Also GTA Online was a big bummer, though I'm not sure how everyone got hyped for it.

There's lots of next gen sadness, but getting excited about launch titles is a fools errand. Seeing Forza get microtransactioned to death and Crimson Dragon shit all over Panzer Dragoon were particularly disappointing though.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SimCity is the obvious answer here, but for me it had to be GTA V.

Its weird because I enjoyed the game overall, but I was constantly going "This is it? Really?" and the more I think back to it the more I feel bummed out about it. There was just so much wasted potential. You can clearly see what they were going for, and when they had he decision to do the "right" thing or the "wrong" thing they almost always chose the wrong way. Contrast that to Saints Row IV which I played right before GTA V and this becomes even more apparent. Saints Row IV is a game that did everything right and just makes everything GTA V did wrong that much more obvious. Rockstar needs to take a long, hard look at where games are before they release another one. They live in a GTA bubble and that shit is getting old pretty fast.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Game-wise, there were many disappointments, but none so much as SimCity.

Un-game-wise, I'd have to say that the Xbox One launch. The bad interface, imperfect voice controls, and microtransactions being constantly in your face really bummed me out. Not to say that they might fix these issues later on, but it's a current let down for 2013.

Avatar image for mightymayormike
MightyMayorMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@furiouscabbage said:

My personal disappointment was Company of Heroes 2.

I second this. I was really looking forward to CoH 2 and found very little of what made me love the series.

That said, I didn't play SimCity, but definitely frowned hard at it from afar.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Grand Theft Auto V. Not that it isn't a great game, but it didn't blow me away like I had expected. Lots of little things rubbed me wrong (inconvenient fast travel, shitty flight controls, the cordoning off of hunting into a dedicated side activity as opposed to an always on free form activity, dull radio stations, etc.) and the storytelling felt muddled. It also hit me at a really weird time in my personal life, so it also has a bit of a depressing association attached to it.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

For me it was Bioshock Inifnite by a mile, I had huge expectations. Loved the first game, enjoyed the second. Didn't like Infinite at all.

taig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rome Total War 2 by a mile for me. I was really hopeful when they talked about all the new systems in that game, but everything in that game is so shallow and empty and that doesn't even begin to address the technical failings.

Shogun 2 looked like they were learning lessons that Rome 2 just forgot entirely. God that was a bummer. I also really wanted The Cave to not be as bad as it is.

NipCrip66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

For me it has to be Plants vs Zombies 2. It is great right up to the point you hit the end of the world and realise you are being stiffed for money to be allowed to carry on.

There were console games that weren't as great as I had hoped - Bioshock Infinite in particular - but nothing that really bummed me out.

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By peritus

Edit* Changing my vote to GTA5! Just felt so outdated in too many spots.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watch Dogs kinda has to be the winner here.

porjos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#125  Edited By porjos

@legion_: Yup, 100% agreed. Barring DLC management, micro-transactions, and rushing games before they are finished...we live in a wonderful age of games.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

Plants vs. Zombies 2

The Cave

Dead Space 3

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Mezmero

The only thing that disappointed me this year was Dead Space 3. It sucks to say that because I still had some fun with that game but they kind of didn't do much to evolve the story, characters, environments, or enemy variety. Worth a rental but a full price purchase seems silly given the other great games that came out this year.

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Phoenix Wright Dual Destinies was a let down first for being digital only. The actual game was meh, and then Capcom just had to be Capcom and offered DLC that should have just been in the game.

jeffrud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

@elwoodan said:

The biggest disappointment in gaming was peoples unexcellence towards one another, what with all the journo beeves, Phil Fish hating and CoD developer death threats.

maverick1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

for me it's bioshock infinite the gameplay was just so meh and then they shoehorn in all the story stuff in the last half hour. Aside from that I really haven't played that many games this year that are let downs, been mostly catching up on games I missed.

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah,it has been a pretty good year for me games wise,no disappointments.

The last of us was better than i expected.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the fact that I haven't played episode 2 of the wolf among us yet. =( but I guess that's only a testament to how much I really liked the first episode.

I'll echo that. I want more, I really got into that game despite no familiarity with the source material.

Also, me being shit at Rogue Legacy is a bummer. I've put in 7 hours plus by this point and I still haven't beat the first fucking boss. Terrible.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me, it was God of War Ascension. I've been a fan of the series since its debut on the PS2, and this is the first one that just didn't click with me at all. I understand that at this point they're running low on fresh material, but the story and setting didn't ring true to me as having anything whatsoever to do with Greek Mythology. I didn't really care for the different elemental attacks or picking up shitty weapons your foes would drop, and overall the moment to moment action just seemed really bland. But I tried to trudge my way through it. Then I got to this brutal gauntlet of shit that you have to complete with no checkpoint system in between waves of enemies. After about 12 or so tries, I just said "fuck this...".

Also, The Cave is disappointing since my expectations were so high. And the only thing I really didn't like about it was that you wanted to play through it multiple times to get all the endings so why do they make you play through that minecart level every damned time? But I dug the setup a lot, the execution was not great though.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I loved just about everything I played this year, but I have to say I felt The Walking Dead: 400 Days was fucking awful, so bad I skipped two of the scenarios until a day like today, when Season 2 would release and I'd feel like I needed to know what happened. It was only 45 minutes of my life and $5 of my money, but MAN. That thing came off flawed as HELL to me.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Wuddel

@chavtheworld: It's ok. But it is inferior to its predecessors in many ways and fails to deliver on the one thing you want to do when playing a city-building game: build a fucking huge city. It could have been so much more. Man I went all on this game. Super Deluxe pre-order and what-not.

I forgot about Dead Space 3. But I got it "for free" due to the SimCity-disaster. BF4 had some issues for me, but has been running smooth since a few patches.

I only played about 30min of Rome 2 so far. But if failed to captivate me in a way the predecessors did. mostly because the UI is confusing as hell, even for a TW-veteran.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Evilsbane

SimCity completely and you can all burn me at the stake Gone Home - That game is (awful) EDIT I look back and that is harsh it just presented itself as something different I came away disappointed, the atmosphere Kills for like the first 10mins then it all falls away to (spoilers) a story of teenage melodrama and bad life choices because of course it was a good idea and a happy ending for her far to young sister to have ran off to god knows where with some edgy girl that will probably end badly and leave her stranded or crawling back to a home that will have almost certainly Completely fallen apart by then because her parents will split from the extra pressure of her missing. Also the puzzles were shit and much like the atmosphere I figured out her sister was gay and ran away in those first 10mins and that just sort of ruined the experience for me.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

SimCity is the right answer and I didn't even play the game. How excited people were and then when they started playing it…a week after it launched because it was broken, and realizing how it wasn't what they thought or hoped it would be. Definition of a Disappointment.

Just as Dragon Age 2 was a lock a few years back, this IS the Most Disappointing Game of 2013

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Bell_End

the PS4 and xbox one.

big expectations and they did not deliver...YET!

thefeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By thefeta

@legion_ said:

I haven't been disappointed at all! How could I, with all these amazing games this year.

• Last of Us
  • GTA V
  • AC IV (huge surprise to me)
  • Bioshock Infinite
  • Brothers
  • Injustice
  • DMC
  • Tearaway
  • Rayman Legends
  • A Link Between Worlds
  • And many more!

Be more positive duders.

I like the list and your attitude. I would throw on Metro LL to that list too for myself.

However to disappointments.

I liked Dead Space 3 cause I have a suit fetish. But it was not scary. It was a shit story.

I absolutely love Borderlands 2. That game is my type of thing and when I saw Aliens CM was being made by Gearbox I was pumped. I bought it and using the word disappointment seems a bit of an understatement. :.(

Saints Row IV was a total fucking snorefest after playing for a few hours.

Overall tho I loved gaming this year. Way more highs than lows for me.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@wuddel said:

@chavtheworld: It's ok. But it is inferior to its predecessors in many ways and fails to deliver on the one thing you want to do when playing a city-building game: build a fucking huge city. It could have been so much more. Man I went all on this game. Super Deluxe pre-order and what-not.

I forgot about Dead Space 3. But I got it "for free" due to the SimCity-disaster. BF4 had some issues for me, but has been running smooth since a few patches.

I only played about 30min of Rome 2 so far. But if failed to captivate me in a way the predecessors did. mostly because the UI is confusing as hell, even for a TW-veteran.

I've also only played about an hour, but I'm waiting to play Rome II coop. Then I'm sure I'll play a ton.

bbillade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Knack was definitely the biggest disappointment for me this year. I didn't have very high expectations to begin with, but I was hoping to find something enjoyable about that game. It looks bad, it plays bad, and the characters are uninteresting.

Overall though I was pleasantly surprised by more games than I was disappointed this year. I was especially surprised by DMC and ACIV, which turned out to be two of my favorite games this year.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: Absolution actually came out at the tail end of 2012 I just got around to playing it this year.

Herk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's Dead Space 3 for me, I'm done with that series unless a reboot shows up.

ModernAlkemie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Simcity is the biggest disappointment for me.

Also having followed The Bureau from its interesting initial concept, where that project went from a design perspective seemed like such a wasted opportunity.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dead Space 3 PS3

Killzone:Shadowfall PS4

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@artisanbreads: Absolution actually came out at the tail end of 2012 I just got around to playing it this year.

oh okay I didn't feel like it was this year. Thanks.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@jasonr86: Same here except I really enjoyed Tales of Xillia because it was just more Tales of^^

But man Ni No kuni. I rarely quit JRPGS but I had to stop playing this game after 15 hours because every time I tried to play it I fell asleep

I kind of hate you for this considering Ni No Kuni was my personal game of the year.

Anyway GTA V was a let down for me. There are many reasons but the main ones probably would be that I didn't like the 3 protagonists thing. I'd rather have a character that we can customize. Load times were garbage, especially with all the character switching you had to do, it became so annoying. Giving you access to everything up front was lame, there was no sense of discovery and that feeling of getting to go to a new area and having access to new things.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

@darji said:

@jasonr86: Same here except I really enjoyed Tales of Xillia because it was just more Tales of^^

But man Ni No kuni. I rarely quit JRPGS but I had to stop playing this game after 15 hours because every time I tried to play it I fell asleep

I kind of hate you for this considering Ni No Kuni was my personal game of the year.

Anyway GTA V was a let down for me. There are many reasons but the main ones probably would be that I didn't like the 3 protagonists thing. I'd rather have a character that we can customize. Load times were garbage, especially with all the character switching you had to do, it became so annoying. Giving you access to everything up front was lame, there was no sense of discovery and that feeling of getting to go to a new area and having access to new things.

Oliver sucks so fucking much though. Whine, whimper, "But I...", "I just...", cry cry cry. That's all of his dialogue right? Maybe he grows a pair as it goes along but I had no fucking patience for his whimpy bullshit. Plus the gameplay loop was just so tedious. Who doesn't have heart, soul, energy, enthusiasm, what the fuck ever else? You don't? Great, let me get this idiot over here to lend me some of his crap to put into you so you'll be full of crap and I can proceed to some boring ass combat. Awesome.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me it has to be The Last of Us. I was promised a 10/10 game that I would remember, and instead I got an average stealth game with characters I hated.

I hear ya. To me the characters were not the problem but the horrid, horrid gameplay. Great opening and then the game just turns into kill room after kill room.

Cerevisiae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think I disliked any of the games I played from this year. That said, I was disappointed a bit by Antichamber. There were decently sized portions of the game I just found ho-hum, and the puzzles never reached the heights I was anticipating.

I wasn't really expecting much from it, but The Raven only barely managed to scratch the point and click itch I had going when I bought it. It was OK, but just barely so.

And though I loved the first episode, I am not happy with how long we've waited for episode two of The Wolf Among Us. I mean, come on. I bought The Walking Dead after all the episodes were out, and I'm wishing I'd just waited for that with The Wolf Among Us.