#1 Posted by JBG4 (385 posts) -

I'm fairly bored at the moment and began to think about the fact that I have never really played a Mega Man game. So, with that in mind I am wondering among all of us here on Giant Bomb what are some of the biggest franchises in the history of gaming that you have never played a game in, at all.

Again, for me it is the Mega Man series.

#2 Posted by Clonedzero (4043 posts) -

of recent ones, uncharted. i dont have a PS3, but i would love to play that series.

fuck exclusives! sucks man!

#3 Posted by crimsinf (142 posts) -

Zelda. For no particular reason.

#4 Posted by mtcantor (947 posts) -

Honestly can't think of one. I play a little bit of everything.

#5 Posted by bunnymud (717 posts) -

Halo

Haven't played a single one. Well, I did play Halo 2 for about 20 minutes and hated it.

FLRMBLE AWNN!!

#6 Posted by YI_Orange (1124 posts) -

Hm. I can't think of a big franchise I haven't played at least SOME of. I'm pretty sure I even played a match or two of Madden back on the PS1.

@JBG4: You need to pick up the Mega Man Anniversary collection and the X collection. They're so good. The Xs I think become a little weird toward the end, but still awesome collections.

#7 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Civilization.

#8 Posted by Sackmanjones (4650 posts) -

Quite a few

Half Life 

Some of Halo (anything from 3 on including the new one will not be played by me) 
 Zelda except for the first half or OoT 
 2/3 of the Gears series  

I think those are the biggest

#9 Posted by Ezakael (910 posts) -

Uncharted and Metal Gear Solid. I plan to change that once I find myself a job. I still don't have a PS3 so I'm looking to catch up on everything I've missed before the next gen arrives.

#10 Posted by Jay_Ray (1069 posts) -

The only one I can think of is Guitar Hero. I've played Rockband though.

#11 Posted by Kidavenger (3486 posts) -

Assassin's Creed

I did get Revelations last week on Steam, so I'm sure I'll get to it eventually

#12 Posted by Stete (722 posts) -

Madden if that counts, other than that I can't think of another big ass franchise where I haven't touched a single game.

#13 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Civilization.

Saaaaaaaaaame.

#14 Posted by Morrow (1828 posts) -

So far I haven't played any big franchises at all, except for Assassins Creed. I skipped CoD, Uncharted, MGS, Splinter Cell, well, pretty much everything that's popular... I'm weird.

#15 Posted by falserelic (5278 posts) -

Final Fantasy...

#16 Posted by Cubidog1 (211 posts) -

I haven't played any Blizzard games. The only one I'm interested in is Diablo 3, but I've heard many bad things about it, so maybe I will skip it. I also haven't played Mega Man. They don't seem like my cup of tea. I also have never played a Final Fantasy, turn based RPGs seem boring, unless they have great stories. The only one I might play is Final Fantasy 6, mainly because I don't know anybody who dislikes it.

#17 Posted by believer258 (11563 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid.

@Clonedzero said:

of recent ones, uncharted. i dont have a PS3, but i would love to play that series.

fuck exclusives! sucks man!

@Ezakael said:

Uncharted and Metal Gear Solid. I plan to change that once I find myself a job. I still don't have a PS3 so I'm looking to catch up on everything I've missed before the next gen arrives.

The only thing you two are missing is a handful of great set pieces (which get boring after seeing them once or twice) and some mediocre cover-based shooting. If you have a PS3, then they're worth seeing, but the Uncharted games aren't really worth buying a whole console for.

#18 Posted by bvilleneuve (265 posts) -

Uncharted. Just never had an opportunity.

Also Call of Duty. I played one round of multiplayer and a little bit of the campaign at a friend's house once, but about twenty minutes was all it took to tell me that I had less than no interest in playing more and that it was one of the single most miserable gaming experiences of my life.

In fact, a lot of current-gen console games, I've just never played. It's partly not having an interest and partially not having the consoles, and both of those reasons feed into each other.

#19 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

I've never played Final Fantasy, and I have zero interest in doing so.

#20 Posted by Milkman (16483 posts) -

I honestly can't think of one. Is that bad?

#21 Edited by pyromagnestir (4195 posts) -

I also have never played a mega man game.

Until Pac-Man Championship Edition DX I'd never played a pac man game.

Gears of War. Ninja Gaiden. Ratchet and Clank. Jak and Daxter. Pretty much any non Mortal Kombat fighting game franchise. The Warhammer games, despite owning the RTS's. Max Payne. Probably more.

Oh right Diablo.

#22 Posted by Raven10 (1703 posts) -

Guitar Hero is all I can think of and I've watched people play that for long periods of time. I've never played a Metal Gear Solid or Final Fantasy game through to completion but I've tried them. This generation I can't really think of anything. I play a lot of games.

#23 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5250 posts) -

Uncharted. I really want to, but getting a PS3 isn't really my top priority at the moment.

#24 Posted by Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497 (558 posts) -

I've never played anything made by Blizzard. Doubt I ever will.

#25 Posted by BaneFireLord (2907 posts) -

I have never played a Zelda game. I also have no interest in rectifying that state of affairs.

#26 Posted by laserbolts (5310 posts) -

Im not sure if the persona games are big or not but I have never played them and I have no interest in doing so.

#27 Posted by ZombiePie (5561 posts) -

Oh boy...this is going to suck for me isn't it?

Games and Game Franchises I Have Never Played

It is a reoccurring joke that despite being a moderator for a video game website I don't actually play a lot of games. The truth of the matter is...well that this is true. Part of this is related to the fact that I am not of a high scoio-economic status. it wasn't until the Gamecube that I bought a video game console within two years of its North America launching and that I have very unusual tastes. So to showcase video game ignorance here is a list of all the major games and game franchises that I have never played or experienced:

1. Blizzard Entertainment

I have never played a game made by Blizzard. Part of this is because for the longest time my family didn't own computers that could run their games. The other reason is that I didn't play a lot of PC games when I was young and most of the ones that I did were educational.

2. Square Enix

I have never played a game by Squaresoft, Enix, nor have I ever played a game made by Square Enix. This disregards any games the have published since their purchase of Eidos Interactive. So yes I've never played a Final fantasy game, no Dragon Quest, and no Kingdom Hearts in my video game library.

3. Final Fantasy

I almost bought Final Fantasy XIII just to say that "I finally bought a Final Fantasy game guys!" I never got around to doing that.

4. Chrono Trigger

Considering how many version of Chrono Trigger there are the fact that I have never played it is even more ridiculous.

5. Kojima Productions

I have never played any games in the Metal Gear franchise. On top of that I have never played Snatcher, Policenauts, any of the Zone of Enders games as well.

6. Metal Gear Solid

I almost played Twin Snakes, then thought about buying Substance, and then Subsistence, and so on. Then again I was pretty big into the Thief and Splinter Cell games.

7. Tales

Nope never played any of the Tales of games. Although I got really close to buying Vesperia. That didn't happen and here it is on my list. It has nothing to do with the art style by the way and you may notice on this list I really don't play a lot of JRPGs. As you can expect this is a personal preference thing.

8. Resident Evil

This franchise I'll just say has never appealed to me as well as most survival horror games.

9. Silent Hill

The same goes for Silent Hill. I have never seen the appeal for these types of games.

10. Ultima

Due to my late introduction to PC gaming I never played anything from the Ultima series.

11. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

This should be qualified as "I have never played a 3D Zelda game." I have played plenty of 2D Zelda games

12. Sam & Max

I was a Sierra Online adventure game dude 100% of the way. This meant that I haven't played a lot of the old school LucasArt adventure games.

13. Worms

Is Worms till a thing? Yes? Well I've never played a Worms game.

14. Rock Band

Even when I'm visiting a friend's house and they start playing Rock Band I always refuse. I tried playing Guitar Hero 3 and realized I will never be any good at rhythm games and just decided to walk away from the genre completely.

15. Contra

I have never inputted the Contra code in a Contra game! How crazy is that?!

16. Quake

Oh Quake. I hear Brad talk about how important you are to the history of firs person shooter but I have no idea what he is talking about because I have never played you or any of your successors.

17. Metroid Prime

I have never liked Metroid. I played some of the 2D games really didn't care for them. So the idea of Metroid going 3D just never appealed to me. I did play Other M to try to make up for this and immediately re-realized that I don't like Metroid games.

18. Baldur's Gate

Knights of the Old Republic for the Xbox was the first BioWare game I ever played. All of their back catalog for the PC is undiscovered territory for me.

19. Fallout

Fallout 3 was the first Fallout game I ever played. I know I'm not the only person who is like this.

20. Grand Theft Auto III

Grand Theft Auto IV was the first GTA game I ever played. This too I'm certain is not as crazy as it seems.

21. Atlus Co., Ltd.

I have never played a game developed or published by Atlus. No Persona, Devil Survivor, Catherine or anything with the Megami Tensei name on it. Watching the Giant Bomb Endurance Run is the closest I have have ever come to experiencing an Atlus game.

22. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

But I have played Modern Warfare 2, and Black Ops! I have played Call of Duty 3...so yeah.

#28 Posted by Danteveli (1157 posts) -

Madden because I totally don't care about it.

#29 Posted by Chris2KLee (2328 posts) -

Probably Need for Speed, although I might give the next one a go since it seems to be where Criterion is staying for the time being.

#30 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10370 posts) -

Final Fantasy comes to mind.

#31 Posted by BeachThunder (11644 posts) -
  • Anything exclusive to Xboxes and/or Playstations.
  • Assassin's Creed
  • Pokemon
  • Final Fantasy
  • Halo
  • Gears of War

+more, which I'm not listing, since I realised that it's actually a lot :o

#32 Posted by Humanity (8714 posts) -

@Kidavenger: Should have also picked up the first one's Directors Cut edition. Playing the first and Revelations would work pretty well to setup the story and finish off a main storyline.

#33 Posted by thatdutchguy (1267 posts) -

played them all

#34 Posted by bkbroiler (1604 posts) -

I've never played a Mega Man game either. Of recent franchises, I can only think of Uncharted, and the only reason I haven't played that is I can't afford a PS3.

#35 Posted by MindChamber (345 posts) -

god of war/blizzard games.

#36 Posted by Kidavenger (3486 posts) -

@Humanity: I thought about getting them all a few times, but it's always people talking trash about the first game and how tedious it can be that put me off of the entire series in the first place.

#37 Posted by cloudnineboya (762 posts) -

world of warcraft , fuck theirs loads and loads i have not played but WOW has to be the biggest,every body i know has played it at some time

#38 Posted by dcgc (878 posts) -

Mass Effect, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy.

#39 Edited by Humanity (8714 posts) -

@Kidavenger: GRANTED I am in the minority on this but I think the first game has single handed the best story out of all of them that have come out thus far. Those complains were somewhat valid when the game came out in that you really got into a familiar rhythm of how things worked. The Directors Cut added a lot more side activities so you wouldn't really feel the tedium as much. If you haven't started playing yet, and AC1 Directors Cut is still on Steam for like $2 then I very strongly urge you to get that game, play through it and then go into Revelations. Not only will you get the entire exposition and whatnot about whats happening but you will appreciate all the features you get in Revelations so much more.

EDIT: I checked and unfortunately it isn't DIRT cheap anymore but for $10 you still get a solid 8 hours of gameplay at least.

#40 Posted by mikey87144 (1648 posts) -

Final Fantasy

most of the Blizzard games

Dragon Quest

Neither Guitar Hero or Rock Band

Probably more if I thought about it harder.

#41 Posted by Gargantuan (1880 posts) -

Mario, Zelda, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, every sports franchise, Batman games and probably some more I forgot.

#42 Posted by JBG4 (385 posts) -

@YI_Orange: I totally agree with you. I've played games for 20 years and having never played a Mega Man game I feel a bit weird. I plan to remedy this situation in the coming days as I am probably going to get the collection you mentioned and check them out.

#43 Posted by Hilikus (279 posts) -

Final Fantasy & Metroid

#44 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

In total:

• Final Fantasy
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Uncharted
  • Kingdom Hearts
#45 Posted by SeanFoster (854 posts) -

Gears of Wars and Halo.

#46 Posted by Wesker411 (75 posts) -

God of War, Diablo, actually MMO's in general.

#47 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4674 posts) -

Just about any major PC series.

#48 Posted by spiceninja (3055 posts) -

Mainly just old PC stuff like System Shock or Baldur's Gate.

#49 Posted by FreakAche (2948 posts) -

Warcraft, Diablo, Uncharted, Pokemon, God of War, Metal Gear, probably a whole lot more I'm not thinking of.

#50 Posted by gaminghooligan (1403 posts) -

tomb raider. grew up at the time it was at its most popular but just never got around to getting any of the games. Maybe I'll start with the new one.