• 104 results
#51 Posted by frankfartmouth (1016 posts) -

When the 360 was about to launch, I was standing in line at a Blockbuster and I heard one of the employees telling a customer that the 360 was just a slightly upgraded Xbox and that the real next-gen MS console, the Xbox 2, would be coming out in about a year. I thought it was pretty stunning to hear an employee of a rental store just screaming out of his ass like that. But to be fair, that was a somewhat widespread Internet rumor at the time.

#52 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -

But then at some point, one of them just tells his friends "Yeah but anyway they're the same console, the only difference is the disc they read." Now that's a very rough translation of what he said in French, but he basically implied that the guts of both consoles were the exact same with the only difference being PS3's ability to read Blu-rays.

Oh, come on. This is what inspired this thread? The dude's basically right.

#53 Posted by Lexus2jz (92 posts) -

Working in the automotive industry you hear quite a bit of misinformation, it's like console wars every year when new cars come out.

#54 Edited by Strife777 (1501 posts) -

@jjweatherman said:

@strife777 said:

But then at some point, one of them just tells his friends "Yeah but anyway they're the same console, the only difference is the disc they read." Now that's a very rough translation of what he said in French, but he basically implied that the guts of both consoles were the exact same with the only difference being PS3's ability to read Blu-rays.

Oh, come on. This is what inspired this thread? The dude's basically right.

Like I said, it's roughly translated, but he wasn't saying they were comparable in power, he was implying that both consoles were basically made at the same place by the same people and worked in the same way, simply being sold by two different companies.

And like I said, it's not that big of deal, it's far from the worst I've heard. If you're not someone "like us", you wouldn't know that their processor is different and that the PS3's memory is split in two for different things contrary to the 360 ,etc. That just wouldn't matter since they are basically comparable enough that it doesn't really matter.

It just made me think of other things I had heard people bullshit about in the past.

@toowalrus: I'd say people getting "who does what" wrong is one of the most unfortunate thing about this industry. It also happens with movies. Most people probably wouldn't be able to tell you the difference between a developer and a publisher, so credit is not given where credit is due. For example, saying Activision made some of the Call of Duty games.

#55 Posted by Irvandus (2818 posts) -

I remember seeing an article somewhere after Space Marine came out that said parts of Warhammer's lore were ripped off from Gears of War

#56 Posted by PandaBear (1301 posts) -
@cale said:

I remember overhearing a conversation by some school kids on a bus. It went something like this:

Kid 1: Have you seen the new Korean guy at our school?

Kid 2: No, is he black?

Kid 1: No, he's Chinese.

That's some misinformation right there.

Brilliant hahaha ... that's the best one here.

>>> I was told by an EB Games clerk that "the next Medal of Honor (it was Warfighter) is made by the same people that made Battlefield". I called bullshit, he pointed to the EA logo, I said that's the publisher and it's DICE who make Battlefield -- "Trust me, it's the same people, I know what I'm saying. They just don't have their logo on this box.". I said OK, but I like the vehicles in Battlefield... "Man, this has vehicles. Tanks, choppers, it's basically the next Battlefield!". I left at that point.

>>> I watched another EB person sell an American PS2 games years ago, despite the PAL vs NTSC lock-out. Despite the fact they were for kids and they did not ask if they had a region-unlock mod-chip or whatever.

>>> When I bought my PS2 with my dad the clerk at the store said the PS2 had to be modified by Sony because the chips in it were too powerful "and there's foreign countries buying them to put in missiles, the computers are that advanced."... this was said without any irony.

>>> I worked in a video game shop from 2002-2004 ---> every month "DUDE, DUKE NUKEM FOREVER IS COMING OUT REALLY SOON!!"

>> Oh yeah and this bullshit -- http://www.edge-online.com/news/report-wii-hd-set-2011/ and http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/pachter-absolutely-convinced-wii-hd-is-on-the-way <<< How quickly we forget

#57 Posted by Darkstorn (463 posts) -

Apart from the political bullshit that people so easily believe, a friend told me that the PS3 versions of multiplatform games had better AI...

#58 Posted by Hailinel (23874 posts) -

Probably any time someone tries to tell me that the moon landing was faked.

#59 Posted by Mark (86 posts) -

At a local grocery store I used to play the Sega Genesis there, played it all the time with various game change ups. I was like 6. Well, this one time a girl came over and - get this - she told me that Girls are better than Boys. Man. Oh, man. We proceeded to race in Sonic 3.

Anyway, let's just say this was the beginning of the craziness I have heard over the years.

#60 Posted by mjbrune (63 posts) -

"C++, that's like DOS right?"

#61 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -
@chiablo said:

People keep insisting that Mass Effect 2 has a good story. I think these people's literary experience peaks around the level of a Highlights magazine.

#62 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

When I was a kid, my friend was always telling me that there was a company making the hoverboards from Back to the Future 2 and that they would be coming out soon.

AND I'M STILL WAITING. GODDAMNIT SCIENCE. MAKE ME A HOVERBOARD.

#63 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

I was going to call out a specific comment from this thread, but I thought better of it.

Yeah you bad better.. Ha ! Ha !

The bigger the lie, right?

#64 Posted by eccentrix (1499 posts) -
#65 Posted by ManMadeGod (1552 posts) -

@hailinel said:

Probably any time someone tries to tell me that the moon landing was faked.

It always amazes me that in our age of information, such ignorance exists.

#66 Posted by LackingSaint (1770 posts) -

That opinions count as statements of fact.

#67 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2224 posts) -

No the biggest but always the first that comes to mind, a Gamestop employee was telling a customer Call of Juarez is made by the same people that make Call of Duty.

#68 Posted by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

It was on these forums, some tinfoil hat shit about not donating your organs after death because university students will just fuck in them or something

#70 Posted by ShaggE (6328 posts) -

university students will just fuck in them or something

If university students manage to have sex inside my organs, they can have 'em. That's impressive, and I'm not one to get in the way of a good spectacle.

#71 Posted by StarvingGamer (7991 posts) -

Most recently? All the games "journalists" crowing about how the "Bros before hos" Trophy from GoW: Ascension was an example of misogyny.

#72 Posted by Corvak (898 posts) -

Every time someone says the US government has been staging a massive coverup (aliens, JFK, the CIA caused 9/11 etc)

...because governments aren't competent enough to keep that shit secret :P

#73 Edited by JouselDelka (967 posts) -

Gaming-wise? I was playing Dead Space 3 on the PC with my roommate sitting next to me. My other roommate's friend walks in, asks if this was an Xbox, then starts going on and ON about how the Xbox is the superior gaming machine.

He said so much incorrect shit about the X360 resolution support, graphical output, loading times, multiplayer connectivity etc.. Heck he even said the enemy AI on the Xbox is much more advanced than the PS3 and PC. At one point we ignored him and continued playing.

#74 Edited by Dacnomaniac (439 posts) -

"GOD HATES FAGS"

I'll leave you to guess where that's from....

#75 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Back in the day, when jealous thumb-humpers would all say "Well the PS3 doesn't have any games"
Even on forums for gaming related websites where there were images of PS3 games in the "Reviews" sections all the time.

"Doesn't have any games" and they were all over the damn place! It was madness

#76 Posted by Twisted (165 posts) -

I heard through somebody that somebody else said that Game of Thrones was supposed to be a pretty bad show that was 'based on a video game or something'. This was just after the end of the second season if I remember correctly, or somewhere during the break between seasons 2 and 3 at least.

I know I've heard a whole lot of bullshit in my time but there's not much that sticks out in my mind at the moment. I remember one friend tried to convince I and another friend that Phantom Hourglass was available on the Wii. He said his cousin had a 'hacked copy' or some shit like that. It occured to me later that his cousin could just have a Wii with some form of modification though I have no idea how it would be possible to play a DS game on a Wii. An emulator? I doubt it, but even if it was true I bet it would play like garbage.

I remember somebody telling me that you could get a chip for the PS1 to play PS2 games. I guess I would have been somewhere between 10 and 12 and even at that time I knew that it likely wasn't true. But I was oh so hopeful as my parents wouldn't buy me a PS2.

#77 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -
#78 Edited by CD1220 (3 posts) -

Mine was at games station (uk game shop) they had hired a young girl for the Christmas period, well I hope it was just for the Christmas period, an older lady was asking what is the newest halo game and the girl took her over to Halo two and was telling her how this is the latest one and it had better graphics then any other game. At this point I stepped in ( that sounds a bit douche baggy, but I did not want the women to waste her money) and took her over to Halo reach and showed her the break down of all the halo games. The girl was not impressed, but hey ho

#79 Edited by CaLe (3910 posts) -

This one isn't really misinformation but I've heard my neighbors say Grand Theft Auto EYE-VEE to refer to GTA IV. They are about 10/11 and shouldn't even be playing it, never mind getting the name wrong.

As I typed that I remembered that I played my first GTA game at around that age... Shit.

#80 Posted by JouselDelka (967 posts) -

@cd1220 said:

Mine was at games station (uk game shop) they had hired a young girl for the Christmas period, well I hope it was just for the Christmas period, an older lady was asking what is the newest halo game and the girl took her over to Halo two and was telling her how this is the latest one and it had better graphics then any other game. At this point I stepped in ( that sounds a bit douche baggy, but I did not want the women to waste her money) and took her over to Halo reach and showed her the break down of all the halo games. The girl was not impressed, but hey ho

That's the problem with the human race, saying "I don't know" means you're weak even when you really don't know. I'm glad you showed that girl what's what.

#81 Posted by ThunderSlash (1548 posts) -

[Game Name] is the Citizen Kane of Video Games. That's not true at all. I mean, according to the GB database the Citizen Kane game was shelved during preproduction due to a public outcry surrounding Orson Scott Card's involvement as game designer.

#82 Posted by Ihmishylje (405 posts) -

@chiablo said:

People keep insisting that Mass Effect 2 has a good story. I think these people's literary experience peaks around the level of a Highlights magazine.

ME2 does have a decent story. Not the main plot, of course, but that is only part of the story. It's the character stuff and side quests. It's also how it's told, not just the main beats of it. At any rate, it has a better plot than, say, the Divine Comedy, and that's considered a literary masterpiece.

I'm not saying video game stories are approaching the best of what the history of all narrative art has to offer, but complexity does not necessarily mean better.

#83 Posted by TooWalrus (13135 posts) -

@toowalrus: I'd say people getting "who does what" wrong is one of the most unfortunate thing about this industry. It also happens with movies. Most people probably wouldn't be able to tell you the difference between a developer and a publisher, so credit is not given where credit is due. For example, saying Activision made some of the Call of Duty games.

That's exactly what happened, the relationship between developers and publishers is where my uh, lecture, began. He's making a big move because his girlfriend got a promotion in the "Family Video" rental business, which, around here at least, is the last bastion for video rental. I hope that goes well for them though I'm not sure it's a wise decision.

#84 Posted by joshwent (2112 posts) -

That The Nightmare Before Christmas is the best Tim Burton movie. It might be, if he actually directed it.

It's Henry Selick, people. Henry... fucking... Selick!!!

#85 Posted by Shortbreadtom (687 posts) -

I'm sure everyone had some asshole kid in their school who insisted that there was a way to catch trainer Pokemon if you put in a cheat code.

#86 Edited by MildMolasses (3213 posts) -

It was on these forums, some tinfoil hat shit about not donating your organs after death because university students will just fuck in them or something

Hot coeds? I'm in!

#87 Edited by leinad44 (503 posts) -

A guy know once tried to convince me that the PS3 was so powerful that, while playing a shooter, if I shot the same exact spot on a wall for long enough, the wall would completely wear away.

#88 Posted by Ihmishylje (405 posts) -

On topic, I'm annoyed by people who say they don't lift weights because they don't want to be too muscular. As if picking up a barbell will immediately transform you into the Incredible Hulk.

People who think Scotland is part of England.

A friend of a friend is a medical doctor who only found out in med school that men only have one scrotum, not two. Granted, she is a lesbian. There's also a radiologist in my extended family who told me that a faith healer cured his back with a prayer.

And to be fair, I only learned less than a year ago that you can't catch HIV from kissing.

#89 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5221 posts) -

Politics

#90 Posted by Jaytow (693 posts) -

A guy at "game" told me that bioshock infinite is the best game made in the last 10 years.

#91 Edited by leinad44 (503 posts) -

Isn't that opinion, not misinformation?

#92 Posted by MBocking87 (8 posts) -

The guy in my local GAME store recently tried to sell me GTA V after I said I really enjoyed Sleeping Dogs. Apparently they are developed by the same people. Who knew...?

#93 Posted by Iron_Tool (215 posts) -

"There is a God"

#94 Posted by Wheady (106 posts) -

standing in line for halo reach and the guy behind me was trying to tell people that Bioware is going to make the next halo game.

#95 Posted by schreiberty (204 posts) -

When I was in elementary school one of my classmates thought there were 100 seconds in a minute and 100 minutes in an hour, he would not be convinced otherwise.

#96 Posted by biggiedubs (493 posts) -

Yo dog, I heard that, like, Mew is in the car next to St.Anne, and, like, if you beat the game with just your starting pokemon Professor Oak gives you the car key.

#97 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2563 posts) -

@video_game_king said:

@chiablo said:

I have a game example for that, too, but I know it would spark needless controversy.

What game ? come on man dont leave us in suspense!

Is the game the cancelled game, a Goofus & Gallant game like LA Noire...

#98 Edited by WaylonJennings (104 posts) -

My sister told me she was a Vampire, and while I slept she sucked my blood, I was 6 or 7 at the time she'd told me. EDIT: Just thought of another one, I had an Xbox 360 purchased for me when I was 12 or 13, I opened up the box, it had a bunch of random chargers and some other bullshit in it, took it back to the store, the lady insisted that was normal and that "they're all different"

#99 Posted by VaddixBell (227 posts) -

I use to work in a McDonalds, as part time work during University. Naturally, you meet a lot of characters and one day, they were arguing about the games and there's this one guy, who is the biggest liar I've ever heard in person. He says he knows about the new xbox (this was back in November) and has seen pictures of it because he's had Xbox Live for so many years and other such shite.

But someone was asking about whether they should get a 360 or PS3 or wait, and this guy says that all the Nintendo games; including Mario Kart; are coming to Xbox next year so they should get an Xbox. Because I know these people, it's fine for me to interject and just tell the people he's talking to, that he's lying or really misinformed. He then argues saying it was only announced that morning and I calmly ask him where he got it and then says about his insider sources.

#100 Posted by Sanity (1891 posts) -

Was going to buy a TV a few years ago and was in a Sears, was basically decided on what i wanted and just needed the guy to ring it up as it was a Christmas sale on a decent Samsung LCD, he promptly came over and went into this talk about how these new TV's fail easier and that they usually die in a few years to try and sell me a warranty, i told him i have LCD screens that are older then that and they still work fine, then told him he lost a sale because he was being a ass and went to a Walmart and bought the same TV for a few bucks more without that bullshit. I hate places that push warranty's down your throat.