• 57 results
Edited 11 months, 16 days ago

Poll: Bioshock Elizabeth's Head (385 votes)

I prefer the old head size in the picture to the left 30%
I prefer the new head size in the picture to the right. 34%
What's going on? 37%

Mods, for your consideration, this poll was meant for general discussion. Even though the topic deals with Bioshock Infinite mainly, I respectfully request that the poll be taken by G.D because they are a more neutral party.

Just curious.

#1 Edited by hencook (176 posts) -

So you guise might be confuzzled...

On the left is the actual head size, and the right is my photoshop edit of how big I think Elizabeth's head should be.

#2 Posted by TowerSixteen (542 posts) -

I don't think static images of characters meant to be in motion, especially when they're in such an odd pose, really tells anyone anything.

#3 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3408 posts) -

Wait so I'm confused... and scene.

#4 Edited by hencook (176 posts) -

@towersixteen said:

I don't think static images of characters meant to be in motion, especially when they're in such an odd pose, really tells anyone anything.

I don't think she's in an awkward pose considering this is an actual promo screenshot for content that hasn't even been released yet. Maybe the PR team of Irrational Games would agree with me on that one. But yeah, video or a full blown mod is not really in my grasp but maybe more screenshots would be nice. The head size has always been jarring to me and I'm just wondering if anyone else thinks so. I thought it was so jarring that even just one screenshot comparison would do it justice.

#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I prefer Actual Elizabeth. She doesn't have a stink cloud surrounding her head.

#6 Edited by EXTomar (4743 posts) -

I don't see the point of this question. How realistic is yet another picture of a virtual subject?

#7 Posted by themangalist (1736 posts) -

One thing that bothered me is how Disney princess she is compared to every other npc in the world of Columbia. Fixing the head size would be a good start. Nice photoshop.

#8 Posted by BeachThunder (11957 posts) -

When you said "mods", at first I thought you meant you were making a small-head mod for the game =(

#9 Posted by hencook (176 posts) -

@extomar said:

I don't see the point of this question. How realistic is yet another made up picture?

The question is "Which proportions do you prefer?", and I am claiming that my edit's proportions are more realistic than the other made up picture. To help better illustrate my point, we can ask the question again using even more skewed proportions:

Which proportions do you prefer?

You might prefer Modok's proportions and I wouldn't be irked if you did; but I doubt you would want your significant other's head size to be that large in comparison to their body. The original post is thinly veiled as just the same claim as well.

But hey, smart people are attractive! I'm sure Modok is very attractive.

#10 Edited by hencook (176 posts) -

One thing that bothered me is how Disney princess she is compared to every other npc in the world of Columbia. Fixing the head size would be a good start. Nice photoshop.

Thank you kind sir

#11 Posted by slyspider (1234 posts) -

Well now 'regular' Elizabeth looks weird to me. Well done.

#12 Posted by TowerSixteen (542 posts) -

Welp, we didn't even get off the first page and you went from asking a legitimate question, to insulting the intelligence of someone who disagree with you, while lapping up praise one post under it. Though perhaps the second post, where you somehow assumed this would be confusing to our poor brains, was the tip-off. Something tells me your not actually interested in what people think, here. Which is sad, because while I'm on the "the original is fine" side, I do get where your coming from.

#13 Posted by JasonR86 (9710 posts) -

Dude, I couldn't care less.

#14 Posted by Driadon (2998 posts) -

The one on the left matches with the style of the face features. While the one on the right is clearly more proportional to the body, I think it would look super weird to have a proportional body have a straight up cartoony face like that.

#15 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

Actually, her head in the game is in proportion with her legs, but not her torso.

Your photoshop job is in proportion with her torso, but not her legs. (which wind up being about a whole head length too long, at the size you scaled her head)

#16 Posted by hencook (176 posts) -

Welp, we didn't even get off the first page and you went from asking a legitimate question, to insulting the intelligence of someone who disagree with you, while lapping up praise one post under it. Though perhaps the second post, where you somehow assumed this would be confusing to our poor brains, was the tip-off. Something tells me your not actually interested in what people think, here. Which is sad, because while I'm on the "the original is fine" side, I do get where your coming from.

I apologize for appearing as to insult anyone. I felt that my original post was not totally clear with my intent, and the poll answer "What's going on?" is meant to appeal to people who like to click on the joke answer in a poll. Originally I intended to be sort of vague, as to not contaminate the results, but I realized that clarity was necessary because a lot of people were clicking on "what's going on?". As for the praise, the poster said I made a nice photoshop edit, so I thanked him for the compliment.

No harm intended.

#17 Posted by TowerSixteen (542 posts) -

@hencook: Yeah, sorry. It did come across as a bit condescending, but I did just let my tongue get away from me, as I am sometimes wont to do. No hard feelings.

#18 Posted by hencook (176 posts) -

Actually, her head in the game is in proportion with her legs, but not her torso.

Your photoshop job is in proportion with her torso, but not her legs. (which wind up being about a whole head length too long, at the size you scaled her head)

I see it now and agree

#19 Edited by PandaBear (1376 posts) -

The girl one.

#20 Edited by EXTomar (4743 posts) -

The point is your premise is flawed even in your label: There is no "Realistic Elizabeth" or "Actual Elizabeth". If you want comment on your fanart project then ask for it instead of trying to suggest your art is more or less realistic on something that was more stylistic than realistic.

#21 Edited by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

I think I remember Irrational saying that the reason they made her head so big was so that, when she put her face up in your face during gameplay, you could see her face better. They said that there is a certain "far away-ness" that occurs in FPS games even when something is right in front of you, and they were trying to mitigate that.

I think they did a really good job.

#22 Posted by Niblets (24 posts) -

The style of the game is overstated features to give it a certain caricature, political cartoony vibe. At least that's what I thought of the overall character style, and I prefer the original.

#23 Posted by hencook (176 posts) -

@extomar said:

The point is your premise is flawed even in your label: There is no "Realistic Elizabeth" or "Actual Elizabeth". If you want comment on your fanart project then ask for it instead of trying to suggest your art is more or less realistic on something that was more stylistic than realistic.

So you think I should have made the title: "What do you guys think of my fan art project?"

First off, I'm claiming that my version is more realistic. I'm claiming it to be fact, and that is my opinion. I acknowledge your point that the original art is aiming to be more stylistic. Were the titles "Actual" and "Realistic" hastily named? Yes, but I didn't want to bring everyone into this conversation, especially people that don't care. I see your point though, perhaps we can compromise on "Do you prefer a more stylistic elizabeth, or a more realistically proportioned one?"

#24 Posted by hencook (176 posts) -

I think I remember Irrational saying that the reason they made her head so big was so that, when she put her face up in your face during gameplay, you could see her face better. They said that there is a certain "far away-ness" that occurs in FPS games even when something is right in front of you, and they were trying to mitigate that.

I think they did a really good job.

Ahhhh, that explains it. It must have something to do with the field of view translation. Maybe they could have tinkered with the field of view settings when you're talking to her... Wait, that happened all the time in Oblivion and Fallout, hahaha. Good stuff.

#25 Edited by Tarsier (1064 posts) -

they sold out

its all over

#26 Posted by TobbRobb (4654 posts) -

Of those two pictures, I prefer the smaller head. But it never bothered me in the game, and I like the style they used, so meh.

#27 Edited by Castiel (2617 posts) -

The left one. Also what's going on?

#28 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5525 posts) -

I'm getting a clean faces mod kind of vibe here.

Either one I guess? The proportions of Elizabeth's head never really bothered me.

#29 Posted by ch3burashka (5084 posts) -

I didn't have an issue before, don't have one now.

#30 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@hencook said:

I'm claiming it to be fact, and that is my opinion.

What?

#31 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

I just wish they'd restore her bust to her original size....

#32 Edited by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

Ugh we gotta fix these oversized heads.

And clean up them faces.

#33 Edited by EXTomar (4743 posts) -

@hencook said:

@extomar said:

So you think I should have made the title: "What do you guys think of my fan art project?"

First off, I'm claiming that my version is more realistic. I'm claiming it to be fact, and that is my opinion. I acknowledge your point that the original art is aiming to be more stylistic. Were the titles "Actual" and "Realistic" hastily named? Yes, but I didn't want to bring everyone into this conversation, especially people that don't care. I see your point though, perhaps we can compromise on "Do you prefer a more stylistic elizabeth, or a more realistically proportioned one?"

Again I have to write: I don't get the point of this because the premise is deeply flawed. Your fanart is not "more realistic" were other responses have pointed this out. You can not claim your opinion is fact beyond "this is my opinion".

I'll put it in simple terms: What are you trying to do? Do you want a critique of your work or do you want a critique of the work of Irrational Games? Just saying "here are two pictures, discuss!" is not helpful.

#34 Posted by BBAlpert (1477 posts) -
#35 Posted by Gruff182 (857 posts) -

I prefer Irrationals proportions. I like the skewed art style more.

Columbia was never about realism.

#36 Posted by spraynardtatum (2977 posts) -

I'll pick the big headed woman.

#37 Edited by GaspoweR (3050 posts) -

Yeah, it kinda bothered me how the head was pretty big in proportion to the body. I do think that it was more noticeable though since she is a companion that is with you for the almost the entire duration of the game.

#38 Edited by ShockD (2401 posts) -

I don't like big heads. Will go with the right one.

#39 Posted by Veektarius (4843 posts) -

Her proportions were too cartoony for me in several ways, but in practice, they didn't detract much from the experience.

#40 Posted by Ravelle (1274 posts) -

I never noticed it.

#41 Posted by SoothsayerGB (1468 posts) -

The big head fits better for me. But I'm a bit bias, as a big Seinfeld fan.

#42 Posted by CornBREDX (5310 posts) -

I get what you're getting at but I picked option 3 because this is as dumb as clean skin mods in Skyrim.

#43 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3337 posts) -

bigger is better

#44 Posted by Turambar (6785 posts) -

Of the two images, I prefer the smaller head. However, that has a lot more to do with the pose Elizabeth is in than anything else. Elizabeth simply looks like she has no neck in that first image.

#45 Posted by NMC2008 (1237 posts) -

She's perfect as is.

#46 Posted by Levio (1784 posts) -

Her giant eyes in Infinite were kind of weird and distracting. They look find on anime characters for some reason, but really weird on 3d models. Can't say why.

#47 Posted by PandaBear (1376 posts) -

I heard if you beat the game using only melee weapons you unlock big head mode... thanks for the spoiler buddy!!

#48 Posted by brownsfantb (393 posts) -

@driadon: Great, now neither one looks right to me.

#49 Posted by hencook (176 posts) -

@extomar said:

@hencook said:

@extomar said:

Again I have to write: I don't get the point of this because the premise is deeply flawed. Your fanart is not "more realistic" were other responses have pointed this out. You can not claim your opinion is fact beyond "this is my opinion".

I'll put it in simple terms: What are you trying to do? Do you want a critique of your work or do you want a critique of the work of Irrational Games? Just saying "here are two pictures, discuss!" is not helpful.

"I'll put it in simple terms: What are you trying to do?"

"Do you prefer a more stylistic elizabeth, or a more realistically proportioned one?"

Disclaimer: "I'm claiming that my version is more realistic."

I think there's more than enough responses that agree with my assessment that she's more realistic on the right. Sure, the legs could have used a tweak as well, but I didn't catch it since she's wearing such a long dress and the feet are cropped, making the leg size a little ambiguous on that part. The head along with the connected, visible torso is much more jarring to me, and for a, well, very slight majority of voters.

"I don't get the point of this because the premise is deeply flawed."

Even some people that prefer the stylistic version say that the realistic version is more realistic. You're free to disagree that one is more realistic than the other, or that even the concept of comparing digital pixels as realistic is far-fetched, but this is all my opinion.... and there is yours. I understand your opinion, why can't you understand mine? I don't see any flaws in either.

....This is an argument I don't wish to continue. On one hand, it leads to critical thinking... on the other hand, after awhile it gets kind of pointless. I got what I wanted, the votes between the two images, so thank you general discussion.

#50 Posted by bluefish (467 posts) -

I'll stick with the big head one MAINLY because Everything from Bioshock 2 onward has a slightly animated look to it and she would look odd if the rest the game/expansion was done under a different aesthetic than her.