BioWare co-founder: JRPGs suffer from 'lack of evolution'

imhuntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#101  Edited By imhuntad
@Turambar: I disagree. Bioware's stories may not be unique, but I can't think of any recent RPG's that are. Saying that there aren't any choices with meaningful consequences is a little off imo. I think making a choice, pissing a character off, and having a character (quite possibly your favorite one) leave the game for its entirety is as big a consequence as it gets. Also, bioware's characters (other than the main character) have complexities and differences that are not seen in most JRPGs. I don't really see how there is an argument that "Bioware of all people are saying this" if they have done nothing but be creative in how their RPG's are played.
Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By Symphony

Something that a lot of people seem to miss is that when a "JRPG" breaks from the mold, it is no longer a "JRPG". It becomes a "tactical RPG" or a "strategy rpg" or a "dating-sim RPG" or whatever other ridiculous sub-genre they think of next.

Disgaea, Final Fantasy Tactics, Ogre Battle, Fire Emblem. All games that broke the "mold" of Japanese RPGs but are now placed into their own sub-genre of "tactical RPG".

Odin Sphere "isn't an RPG, it's an action adventure game with RPG trappings." Uhh what? It's got levels, it's got combat, it's got items, it's got treasure chests. What the hell is it missing exactly?

"It's missing all those other things that make it a JRPG".... Okay, so a game has to be pidgeon-holed to be classified as a JRPG? What a ridiculous joke of an argument.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#103  Edited By Diamond

It sounds horribly arrogant for someone from Bioware to say.  If it was Bethesda I'd feel differently about it, but Bioware is so damned overrated IMO.  Most of the game mechanics are the same time and time again, but unlike JRPGs they also typically have mediocre presentation.

There are a lot of cookie cutter JRPGs, but there are a lot of cookie cutter WRPGs for that matter, and Bioware is an offender.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By ryanwho
@Zenaxzd:
But it doesn't have a mute hero with amnesia, so, its not a JRPG, so JRPGs are still stale. 

Also
Valkyrie Profile 2 (sidescroller)
Wild Arms 4 and 5 (SRPG)
Skies of Arcadia (flight sim)
Folklore (action game)
etc etc
See, I could be a cunt and just point out the incredibly wide berth between Oblivion's gameplay and Dragon Age, and say "they're different genres", and I could keep voiding out games that have tried new things until all I'm left with are a handful of Diablo clones and then I could say "WRPGs never evolve". I could do that, but that wouldn't be fair now would it. That would be like ignoring most JRPGs because you want to make the point that they don't evolve.
delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#105  Edited By delta_ass

I don't think he's being arrogant at all. He and the rest of BioWare are responsible for the finest RPG of the previous generation (KOTOR), and the finest RPG of this current generation (Mass Effect). That's not just me saying they're good either, it's backed up by the critical and commercial reception.

slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By slinky6
@Lard said:
"  

Um - while I will be the first to admit that this gen's console RPGs have been terrible overall, (barring Demon's Souls, Folklore and Enchanted Arms)"

Folklore and Enchanted Arms are your opinion of good JRPGs?   Jesus Christ.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By ryanwho
@Delta_Ass said:
" I don't think he's being arrogant at all. He and the rest of BioWare are responsible for the finest RPG of the previous generation (KOTOR), and the finest RPG of this current generation (Mass Effect). That's not just me saying they're good either, it's backed up by the critical and commercial reception. "
No but it is. Because they say this, and then they make this fucking thing right here. 

No Caption Provided

It's like saying bank robbery is out of control when you're still holding your money sack.  If someone who wasn't part of the problem brought this up, I wouldn't have any problem with what they said generally.
ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#108  Edited By ZenaxPure
@Symphony said:
" @Red said:
" He's right. Even if you change around the combat, the style and structure of JRPGs have basically been the same since Final Fantasy VII. While yes, there are some exceptions (The World Ends With You, Persona 4), but CRPGs are constantly changing. Just look at the difference between Baldur's Gate and Mass Effect, and then look at the differences between Final Fantasy VII and Lost Odyssey.  "
I wouldn't even consider Baldur's Gate and Mass Effect the same type of RPG. You'd be better off saying "Look at the difference between Baldur's Gate and Mass Effect, and then look at the difference between Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy Tactics... oh wait... huge differences, my bad." "
Unfortunately, this is just another case of people completely ignoring games in the genre. Seriously it's so obvious out how different a lot of the games are it is absolutely mind blowing that people think every JRPG has the same turn based combat. Just look at how different all of these JRPGs combat systems are:  

Seriously I could go on all day about how different JRPGs have different combat systems, it's to easy... Also to the original quote in this, buddy Persona 4 is closer to FF7 than Lost Odyssey is, in regards to gameplay mechanics that is. 

Honestly though, I think the biggest problem with JRPGs is that when someone says the term "JRPG" the average person thinks of any random Final Fantasy game and stops there. News flash: There are hundreds of JRPGs and they have been experimenting with gameplay/story/characters for over 2 decades now, people just choose to ignore most of them and play "The Final Fantasy card".
delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By delta_ass

I don't have a DS so I have no comment on Sonic Chronicles. But uh, from the RPGs I have played, they're tops.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Diamond
@Delta_Ass said:

the finest RPG of this current generation (Mass Effect). That's not just me saying they're good either, it's backed up by the critical and commercial reception.

Actually that would be either Oblivion or Fallout 3, backed up by the critical and commercial reception.  In my eyes Mass Effect was overrated at that, but it's not a horrible game either.

Too much ignorant generalization and stupidity about this discussion anyways.

If people can't see that both JRPGs and WRPGs have had innovation and quality, yet there are very poor examples of both in both JRPGs and WRPGs, then they are ignorant or simply prejudiced fools.
Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#111  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

The only real annoyance I have with JRPGs is how they cut to a battle, have the characters do their happy dance and show battle statistics, and then cut back to the game world, with a irritating load, sometimes disguised, during the transitions.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By ryanwho
@Delta_Ass said:
" I don't have a DS so I have no comment on Sonic Chronicles. But uh, from the RPGs I have played, they're tops. "
Right. Again, don't get me wrong, I would have a hard time naming great post PS2 JRPGs into the double digits. Its just really audacious for them, this company specifically,  to say this when their most recent game's battle system is built on top of FF12's and the game they made before that is exactly the kind of game they're complaining about.
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#113  Edited By ArchScabby
@Diamond said:
" @Delta_Ass said:

the finest RPG of this current generation (Mass Effect). That's not just me saying they're good either, it's backed up by the critical and commercial reception.

Actually that would be either Oblivion or Fallout 3, backed up by the critical and commercial reception.  In my eyes Mass Effect was overrated at that, but it's not a horrible game either.

Too much ignorant generalization and stupidity about this discussion anyways.

If people can't see that both JRPGs and WRPGs have had innovation and quality, yet there are very poor examples of both in both JRPGs and WRPGs, then they are ignorant or simply prejudiced fools. "
no  way man.  By your logic you're saying that Two Worlds was a bad game.  That can't be true.  It's not only one of the greatest games of this generation, it's one of the greatest of all time.   

Wow, that actually physically hurt to type out.
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Jimbo
@Delta_Ass said:
" I don't think he's being arrogant at all. He and the rest of BioWare are responsible for the finest RPG of the previous generation (KOTOR), and the finest RPG of this current generation (Mass Effect). That's not just me saying they're good either, it's backed up by the critical and commercial reception. "
And apart from the combat mechanic they chose to use (neither of which could really be called innovative in their own right), those games are virtually identical.
Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jimbo said:
" @Delta_Ass said:
And apart from the combat mechanic they chose to use (neither of which could really be called innovative in their own right), those games are virtually identical. "
Generalization flying around left and right *sigh*.  They are not anywhere near identical games.
delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By delta_ass
@Jimbo said:
" @Delta_Ass said:
And apart from the combat mechanic they chose to use (neither of which could really be called innovative in their own right), those games are virtually identical. "
So apart from the massive differences, these two games are the same?

Great analysis.
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#117  Edited By Red
@Zenaxzd:  
@Symphony:  
Baldur's Gate was BioWare's blockbuster CRPG of the 90s, and Mass Effect was BioWare's blockbuster RPG of the 00s. Over time, Western RPGs have become less complicated and more cinematic. Square, especially, is the leading JRPG developer, and hasn't changed much of their material since Final Fantasy VII. 
While, yes, tactical JRPGs are different, they too haven't changed much. 

There are exceptions to the rule (Valkyria Chronicles, TWEWY,) but most JRPGs are just treading old water.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Diamond

I just clicked on the OP link (I make it a habit not to give Destructoid my hits), and was relived to see the author of the comments was willing / wise enough to point out exceptions :

"Zeschuk admits that there are definitely exceptions coming from the East (Demon's Souls is currently one of his favorite games)"

He should probably allow for more exceptions than that, but I'd still restate that innovation on both sides of the Pacific is roughly equivalent.
ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By ZenaxPure
@Red said:
" @Zenaxzd:  
@Symphony:  Baldur's Gate was BioWare's blockbuster CRPG of the 90s, and Mass Effect was BioWare's blockbuster RPG of the 00s. Over time, Western RPGs have become less complicated and more cinematic. Square, especially, is the leading JRPG developer, and hasn't changed much of their material since Final Fantasy VII. While, yes, tactical JRPGs are different, they too haven't changed much.  There are exceptions to the rule (Valkyria Chronicles, TWEWY,) but most JRPGs are just treading old water. "
See though, as been pointed out by many people there are loads of JRPGs that are, using your word, "exceptions to the rule", however you just choose to glaze over everything and say something about Final Fantasy.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By ryanwho

Demon's Souls is a roguelike, what does that have to do with JRPGs?

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Red
@Zenaxzd: As far as mainstream blockbuster JRPGs go, there's Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. Even then, tactical JRPGs haven't changed much over the years either. Even though Disgaea may be an awesome game, it didn't change the genre.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Diamond
@ryanwho said:
Are you serious?  Also, I noticed you said Korean roguelike before you edited.  The Korean part made me think you weren't serious, but editing it out makes me think you are.
shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By shirogane

I think the major problem here is that there are TONS of rpgs coming out of japan, wheraes there aren't nearly as many western rpgs being made. With more stuff, there's obviously going to be more of the same.
Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By WinterSnowblind

This sounds like more of your DLC bashing, which I can only assume is your only reason for making this topic, so let me just refer to that.

Dragon Age Origins was originally going to be released early this year, but it was heavily delayed.  By that point, most of the game designers had already moved on to work on extra content that would be released once the game was already out, the game delays made it so this content was released alongside the actual game.  Therefore they decided to give some of the content to us for free.  Besides the actual pay for content being somewhat underwhelming, I can see no way that you could complain about this.

The developers were working on new content after the game was finished.  If you worked overtime at your job, wouldn't you expect to be paid for it?  Perhaps that's a bad analogy, but I'm really trying to make you understand how the process of DLC works.  It's not as black and white as you seem to think.  Besides, look at how many of these Japanese RPG's have handled DLC if you want examples of how it shouldn't be done.  Costume packs, unlock keys..  DLC packs to unlock content already in the game..  I find it very ironic you try and bash Bioware for being racist (who are Canadian, for your information) when your own views seem to be very prejudiced and misguided.  (calling Enchanted Arms a good game alone discredits your whole opinion)

As for the matter of JRPG's not evolving..  I'd agree, 100%.  I'm not going to say WRPG's are perfect, but look back at games like Neverwinter Nights and Baldurs Gate, compared to Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Oblivion, etc.  While some may argue the classics are still better, there's a distinct growth, evolution of features, etc.  Where as JRPG's have remained almost unchanged since the original Dragon Quest - aside from the technical abilities and I'd say that's exactly why games like Lost Odyssey (this being about the only good JRPG to come out this generation), Star Ocean and the more recent Tales games have performed so badly, despite being solid enough games that would have sold like hot cakes in the past.

Final Fantasy XII and XIII are two of the very few JRPG's that have attempted to evolve.. and even then, only by emulating WRPG's. 

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By neoepoch

I have a question. It may be due to my ignorance on the myriad of RPGs that come from the East, but why is it that most RPGs from there have a setting that gives a feel of Medieval Europe?
That is to say why is it always knights, broadswords, and sorcery.  Why are there so few RPGs that take place in the Eastern setting that come from Japan or something? I know that there are always the few "fighters", monks, and ninja, but not many RPGs from Japan take this (from what I've seen anyway).
I mean Bioware did Jade Empire, but I would have actually liked to play a standard Japanese RPG, that used similar traditional mechanics (except for random battles) that had a setting in Feudal (probably using the term incorrectly) Asia. Give me an interesting Tradition Eastern setting, with an excellent story, non-mopey characters, and I'd be interested.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By ryanwho
@Diamond said:
" @ryanwho said:
Are you serious?  Also, I noticed you said Korean roguelike before you edited.  The Korean part made me think you weren't serious, but editing it out makes me think you are. "
No I am. This is like calling a shooter a CRPG, its flatout inaccurate.
CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By CaptainCody
@Red:
Very true but that wont change the fact that JRPG's probably wont change for another decade considering how thick skulled the genre's followers are which gives them enough reason to do the same song and dance. FFXIII will probably be an outsanding dissapointment based on the fact that its predecesor was one of the worst installments for the franchise. The only people defending JRPG's in this thread mainly consists of all the wanna be japanese who spend the majority of their time posting on relevant forums waiting for the next iteration of a declining genre to release. I would also like to add: what defines a JRPG? As well as a WRPG? It seems like its localization is the only thing considering left-winged games like Demon's Souls and Wild Arms are fairly irrelevant to the genre.
ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By ZenaxPure
@Red said:
" @Zenaxzd: As far as mainstream blockbuster JRPGs go, there's Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. Even then, tactical JRPGs haven't changed much over the years either. Even though Disgaea may be an awesome game, it didn't change the genre. "
When did this thread become about mainstream blockbusters? I mean really because if this is about mainstream blockbuster RPGs from the past couple of years you are narrowing down the list on both sides to single digit games. We were talking about every RPG out there whether it be Japanese, Western, on the DS or the PC - which just leads to everything the past few pages have been talking about.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Diamond
@ryanwho said:

I'll say you're flat out ignorant of the subject of discussion and leave it at that.  You even thought it was a Korean game.  It's definitely not a Rogue-like in any case - unless that's just your name for challenging RPGs...

@neoepoch said:

I have a question. It may be due to my ignorance on the myriad of RPGs that come from the East, but why is it that most RPGs from there have a setting that gives a feel of Medieval Europe?

Probably because those are the only ones you're exposed to.  Even the Final Fantasy games don't have that feel...

@CaptainCody said:
The only people defending JRPG's in this thread mainly consists of all the wanna be japanese who spend the majority of their time posting on relevant forums waiting for the next iteration of a declining genre to release.
and this is why we can't have nice things.  Please take this sort if idiocy back to 4chan.
Siris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#130  Edited By Siris

He's right and its true. JRPGs lack innovation and have for quite some time. In my mind, RPGs are supposed to be about immersion and nothing ruins that more than seeing the same, tired old game mechanic from a game that came out 10 years ago. At least Mass Effect, Fallout 3, and Borderlands have raised the bar quite a bit. Can't wait to see more cooperative RPGs out there!

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By ryanwho
@CaptainCody said:
" @Red: Very true but that wont change the fact that JRPG's probably wont change for another decade considering how thick skulled the genre's followers are which gives them enough reason to do the same song and dance. FFXIII will probably be an outsanding dissapointment based on the fact that its predecesor was one of the worst installments for the franchise. The only people defending JRPG's in this thread mainly consists of all the wanna be japanese who spend the majority of their time posting on relevant forums waiting for the next iteration of a declining genre to release. "
Blanket statements will get you far. In fact, I'm positive you're already a millionaire with insight like that. I agree, though. FF13 will be an outSANDing DISSapointment based on its predeceSor
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Jimbo
@Stephen_Von_Cloud said:
" @Jimbo said:
" @Delta_Ass said:
Generalization flying around left and right *sigh*.  They are not anywhere near identical games. "
@Delta_Ass said:
" @Jimbo said:
" @Delta_Ass said:
So apart from the massive differences, these two games are the same?  Great analysis. "
So where is the innovation between KOTOR and Mass Effect that isn't just polish, which Zeschuk discounted?  Less snark and more elaboration is required.
chewii101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#133  Edited By chewii101

Bioware is Canadian (Go Canada). That is all. 

PS I think he's right. I believe JRPGs are falling behind WRPGs.

Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Ignor

I hate evolution and love old game mechanics!

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By ryanwho
@Diamond said:
" @ryanwho said:

I'll say you're flat out ignorant of the subject of discussion and leave it at that.  You even thought it was a Korean game.  It's definitely not a Rogue-like in any case - unless that's just your name for challenging RPGs... "
I characterize it as any game with a sort of permanent death. You can go ahead and lop it in the same category with turn based party based games, because they makes so much more sense.
neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By neoepoch
@Diamond: Dude, huh? I know many late Final Fantasy games don't give off that vibe anymore, but many earlier ones do. I-VI had some type of kingdom and castle and you could play as knights and mages and the such. Then Final Fantasy XII came out and gave that feeling again. Just because there are airships and creatures that aren't necessarily from European legends doesn't mean that the overall setting doesn't take from that type of design. Dragon Quest has done that type of setting for 9 iterations. I just want something that gives a traditional eastern atmosphere in an Japanese RPG.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Diamond
@ryanwho said:
I characterize it as any game with a sort of permanent death. You can go ahead and lop it in the same category with turn based party based games, because they makes so much more sense.
Well, Demon's Souls doesn't have permadeath of any kind, while Torchlight does.  It's not an accurate statement because permadeath is just a single gameplay concept.
CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By CaptainCody
@ryanwho:
Thanks for agreeing with me ryanwho! I kNEW yoU would UnderSTANd.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By ryanwho

Outsanding retort, friend.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By CaptainCody

Quite so, gent.
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By MrKlorox

The good doctor's statements are absolutely correct. Sure there is an exception every once in a while, but JRPGs haven't gone anywhere in a LONG time.

It's not some USA USA chant in the least. That's quite an extreme way to interpret that. Almost trollish.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@MrKlorox said:

" The good doctor's statements are absolutely correct. Sure there is an exception every once in a while, but JRPGs haven't gone anywhere in a LONG time.  It's not some USA USA chant in the least. That's quite an extremist way to interpret that. This all comes down to your distaste for DLC. "

Exactly, see my previous post for details.
But just to reiterate, Bioware aren't even an American developer.
But furthermore, let's take some quotes from Xbox.com's Tales of Vesperia page. 

"Battle Support Item pack - 200 points
 Items that can support you in battle. You'll never regret taking these to a battle. (Magic Lens, Life Bottle, Cure Bottle, Syrup Bottle, Nectar Bottle, Limit Bottle) x 10 (All-Divide, Hourglass) x 3 *
Can also be obtained in the game."

"Customise Pack: Repede - 200 points
Costume changing attachments for Repede. (Attachment: Pork Chop, Overdrive Warrior, Overdrive Princess, Overdrive Kid, Overdrive Researcher, Overdrive Old Man, Overdrive Lady, Doggy Jerky) *

And this goes on for four frikken pages.  All of it content already in the game, consumable items that must be bought with real money, some of it costumes that were already on the disc but locked off.  How can you possibly complain about Biowares additonal content, which even if it were already in the game, at least adds something worthwhile?
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#143  Edited By Milkman
@Jimbo said:
" @Delta_Ass said:
I was literally playing KOTOR 3 minutes ago and I can tell you right now that saying it is identical to Mass Effect is flat out stupid. You can clearly see the evolution of WRPGs while playing KOTOR. Besides, saying "the games are identical, expect for the combat" is idiotic in its own right. The combat is the biggest parts of both those games and they are different in every way possible. If anything KOTOR or is more similar to Dragon Age than Mass Effect.
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#144  Edited By Milkman
@WinterSnowblind said:
" @MrKlorox said:

" The good doctor's statements are absolutely correct. Sure there is an exception every once in a while, but JRPGs haven't gone anywhere in a LONG time.  It's not some USA USA chant in the least. That's quite an extremist way to interpret that. This all comes down to your distaste for DLC. "

Exactly, see my previous post for details.
But just to reiterate, Bioware aren't even an American developer.
But furthermore, let's take some quotes from Xbox.com's Tales of Vesperia page. 

"Battle Support Item pack - 200 points
 Items that can support you in battle. You'll never regret taking these to a battle. (Magic Lens, Life Bottle, Cure Bottle, Syrup Bottle, Nectar Bottle, Limit Bottle) x 10 (All-Divide, Hourglass) x 3 *

"Customise Pack: Repede - 200 points
Costume changing attachments for Repede. (Attachment: Pork Chop, Overdrive Warrior, Overdrive Princess, Overdrive Kid, Overdrive Researcher, Overdrive Old Man, Overdrive Lady, Doggy Jerky) *
Can also be obtained in the game."  And this goes on for four frikken pages.  All of it content already in the game, consumable items that must be bought with real money, some of it costumes that were already on the disc but locked off.  How can you possibly complain about Biowares additonal content, which even if it were already in the game, at least adds something worthwhile? "
This is a really good point to. As someone who played Tales of Vesperia (and enjoyed it very much), the DLC for that game was some of the most ridiculous I have ever seen.
Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#145  Edited By Potter9156

JRPGs aren't evolving and WRPGs are de-evolving, partly thanks to Bioware. Yep, the RPG genre is in a pretty shitty place.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#146  Edited By TheHT
@Hailinel said:
" The people at Bioware are entitled to their opinion, but I have to staunchly disagree with it.  Particularly since I can't say that there was anything particularly new or innovative about Dragon Age. "
But that was pretty much the whole point about Dragon Age, a return to the original style of WRPG with some of the modern things thrown in. That in itself shows how there has been an evolution in WRPGs, but I gotta disagree with Zeschuck, at least from how things are now, JRPGs are certainly switching things up.
delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By delta_ass
@Potter9156 said:
" JRPGs aren't evolving and WRPGs are de-evolving, partly thanks to Bioware. Yep, the RPG genre is in a pretty shitty place. "
You mean devolving, right? Cause de-evolving is kinda redundant.
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Red
@Zenaxzd: Successful, huge blockbuster games are what evolve genres. If Space Invaders wasn't the hit that it was, we wouldn't have as many sidescrolling shooters. 
You're not seeing many people take cues from The World Ends With You or Valkyria Chronicles, but you're seeing a billion Gears of War rip-offs. 

What was the last successful party-based JRPG that broke the mold Final Fantasy VII started? 
Hell, what was even the last successful Japanese-developed game that hasn't been copying off games from the PS1/N64 era, and wasn't made by Capcom or Konami?
Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By Bones8677
@Hailinel said:
" @Milkman said:
" He's spot on. WRPGs have passed JRPGs in almost every single aspect (barring a select few, I guess). WRPGs have figured out how to make combat fun and accessible, something JRPGs have ALWAYS struggled with. The story of WRPGs have evolved way past JRPGs. Though I'm sure some of you will say that they still enjoy the same story of spiky haired young boys fighting against an anicent reawoken evil, the majority of the world will probably disagree. "
Bullshit.  This is bullshit to the nth degree.

Combat is not "more accessible" in WRPGs.  For me, playing Dragon Age on anything but the lowest difficulty becomes a clusterfuck because I am terrible at real-time strategy.  Sure, I can pause the game and switch tactics that way, but that just leads me back down the path of the original Icewind Dale, and issues I had with ID's design left me unable/unwilling to finish the game.  The combat is just loaded with complications of a different sort.

And while I ultimately enjoyed Dragon Age, I hated Oblivion.  The skill-based leveling system was a pain to use.  The way enemy power scaling worked not only invalidated leveling, but also made the game more ludicrous over time.  Fallout 3 lacked a lot of Oblivion's worst offenses despite being ridiculed as Oblivion with guns, but at the same time it had its own problems.  The moral choices and morality are stark black and white, and very few choices made in the game have the same level of impact as the nuke in Megaton.  The idea of choice presented in the game doesn't feel natural.  It's stringent and artificial.

And I really wish I didn't feel it necessary to do this, but there are a number of JRPGs that don't fall into the "Teens save the world from an ancient evil" category.  (And this is by no means a complete list.  Just games I'm familiar with that I can think of off the top of my head.)

• Final Fantasy IV
  • Final Fantasy VI
  • Final Fantasy VII (Most of the characters, including Cloud, are in their early/mid-twenties.  Suck it, stereotypers.)
  • The SaGa series as a whole.
  • Shin Megami Tensei:  Nocturne
  • Dragon Quest IV
  • Dragon Quest V
  • Lost Odyssey
  • Eternal Sonata
  • Torneko's Mysterious Dungeon
  • Sweet Home
  • Shin Megami Tensei:  Strange Journey
"
Um...why are you fighting against someone who is obviously exaggerating to prove a point?

Besides, while WRPGs innovations may have fallen short in some areas, the point is, at least WRPGs are TRYING new things. Where as JRPGs have remain very stagnate over the last decade. 

All those games you've mentioned can be very interchangibly in terms of combat style and story. Japanese companies operate a "If it aint broke don't fix it" policy. Take the battle system change from Final Fantasy XII to Final Fantasy XIII, "Well a lot of people didn't like the real time combat in 12, so let's go back to the turn based combat we've had since the beginning." 

Game companies all over the world are afraid to try new things for fear that it might bite them in the ass, especially in this economy. Which also explains why we have so many freakin' sequels for games coming out, because they are certain to be successful.  
Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Pibo47
@MAN_FLANNEL said:
" Anyways, I agree WRPGs have evolved while JRPGS haven't.  "
Same.