• 92 results
#1 Edited by JoeyRavn (5007 posts) -

In an interview with VG247, Greg Zeschuk gave his opinion on the current state of the role playing game:

Do you see Bioware as ‘the’ RPG studio for EA now, or do you see yourselves as being broader than that?I think broader. I mean – it’s funny – RPGs are and always have been our bread and butter, our heart is there, but at the same time I think – well, we had the RPG panel breakfast at GDC yesterday – and what was interesting about that was that we had the conversation about ‘what is an RPG’ and it’s a blend. The genres are blending right now, you’re getting lots and lots of progression and RPG elements in shooters – online persistence and so on.
It’s funny because the RPG in the context of the current world is – well, it’s not specifically irrelevant, but it’s becoming less relevant in and of itself. It’s more a function of ‘hey, this game has a great story’. For us having that emotion but also having other great features like combat and persistence of character progression and stuff.
It’s kind of what we are, but more importantly we’re just about great games.

It's an interesting interview, but it's obvious that he's trying to hype a bit more their new MMORPG, Star Wars: The Old Republic. The Mass Effect franchise is an obvious example of RPG elements blended into an alien structure, in this case a third person shooter. Games have been incorporating RPG elements for years now. Just look at S.T.A.L.K.E.R. or Puzzle Quest, two games whose core gameplay is that of a first person shooter and a "connect three" puzzle, respectively, but in which RPG elements play a vital role. But can you truly say that RPGs are "less relevant" nowadays, with the future release of massive "pure" games like Skyrim or Diablo III?

Edit: Why does the editor remove the spacing in my posts? -_-

#2 Posted by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -

"We made a bunch of shitty non-RPGs and people who like RPGs didn't like them. Therefore, people don't like RPG's as much anymore"

Right.

#3 Posted by coakroach (2492 posts) -
#4 Posted by Gargantuan (1887 posts) -
@Ventilaator said:
"We made a bunch of shitty non-RPGs and people who like RPGs didn't like them. Therefore, people don't like RPG's as much anymore"  Right.
I like RPGs (Fallout 1&2, Arcanum, Planescape: Torment etc) and I love the Mass Effect games. :P
#5 Posted by GuyIncognito (445 posts) -

Don't put quotes around text when you're not actually quoting.  

#6 Posted by Brodehouse (10107 posts) -

Gabe Newell said this a few months ago, everyone went 'wow, that's so interesting'. BioWare guy says it, and he's being a fuckstick and he's stupid. No standard ever appears to apply to Valve.

#7 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

Controversial opinion designed to garner press coverage for ToR, ME3 and DA3. Greg, you're full of shit. And you know it.

#8 Posted by probablytuna (3807 posts) -

As long as they're great games I don't care what genre they do it in.

#9 Posted by Brodehouse (10107 posts) -

Also for the record, Diablo and Skyrim both have pretty important action elements. When he says that the RPG portion of a game is not the big seller, think about Bastion. That game has some progression and RPG elements, but the big sell is the action and the storytelling. I think most of the 'true' RPGs that people like, they like them due to the storytelling and not because they were able to get +9 against ogres.

#10 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4848 posts) -

Bioware are becoming less relevant.

#11 Posted by ProfessorEss (7472 posts) -

I think RPG as a genre term is becoming less relevant. Nowadays where everything has at least a  touch of RPG in it it's become more of a gameplay mechanic than a genre. 

Frankly, I think the term RPG has been terribly misused for a long time now anyways - ever since someone decided that the R in RPG was more about roll than role.

#12 Edited by Karkarov (3230 posts) -
@Brodehouse said:

Gabe Newell said this a few months ago, everyone went 'wow, that's so interesting'. BioWare guy says it, and he's being a fuckstick and he's stupid. No standard ever appears to apply to Valve.

Yeah really.  He isn't saying RPG's are becoming less relevant people, he is saying what makes an RPG or being a "true" RPG isn't as important as it used to be and that for Bioware the main concern is being able to make great stories (which is what they love about RPG's) while putting them in great games.  Long story short an RPG doesn't just have to be an RPG and nothing else anymore.   Considering that is blatantly true and the only RPG genre that has refused to really adapt at all is JRPG's I don't really hold it against him for saying it.

Also anyone who thinks Skyrim is a pure RPG has no idea what a pure RPG is.  Skyrim is just another example of the evolution of the genre.  Pure RPG's are games like Wizardy or these things that involve dice and sitting at a table with 4 or more of your buddies.
#13 Edited by JoeyRavn (5007 posts) -

@GuyIncognito said:

@JoeyRavn said:

It’s funny because the RPG in the context of the current world is – well, it’s not specifically irrelevant, but it’s becoming less relevant in and of itself.

The title would have looked like a mess if I ware to format it correctly: "[The RPG] is becoming less relevant [in and of itself]". But I'm totally trying to manipulate what this guy said to create animosity towards his company. Right?

@Karkarov said:

Also anyone who thinks Skyrim is a pure RPG has no idea what a pure RPG is. Skyrim is just another example of the evolution of the genre. Pure RPG's are games like Wizardy or these things that involve dice and sitting at a table with 4 or more of your buddies.

Eh. I was contrasting a "hybrid" game like Mass Effect with a "truer" (if you want) RPG like TES. Hence the irony quotation marks.

#14 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

Also for the record, Diablo and Skyrim both have pretty important action elements. When he says that the RPG portion of a game is not the big seller, think about Bastion. That game has some progression and RPG elements, but the big sell is the action and the storytelling. I think most of the 'true' RPGs that people like, they like them due to the storytelling and not because they were able to get +9 against ogres.

Dragon Age : Origins is stil one of Bioware's best selling games to date. EYE got a postive QL and they even mention the fact that the story is indecipherable. People like RPGs and story isn't always a driving factor.

#15 Posted by SexualBubblegumX (542 posts) -
@Brodehouse
Because Fanboys are fucking retarded thats why.
#16 Posted by GuyIncognito (445 posts) -
@JoeyRavn said:

@GuyIncognito said:

@JoeyRavn said:

It’s funny because the RPG in the context of the current world is – well, it’s not specifically irrelevant, but it’s becoming less relevant in and of itself.

The title would have looked like a mess if I ware to format it correctly: "[The RPG] is becoming less relevant [in and of itself]". But I'm totally trying to manipulate what this guy said to create animosity towards his company. Right?

Are you? 

In any event, statements like the one you quoted seem to be motivated by market myopia.  Instead of providing some clear idea where to take the genre, he alludes to COD. :-/
#17 Posted by FlipperDesert (2105 posts) -

Hearing this makes me sad. 

Hey, game makers? Give me a traditional RPG and I will play it. I want a wizard and I want to click on the wizard and make it roll a dice to magic missile a skeleton and then I get some sort of loot from the skeleton to better attack skeletons. Get on that.

#18 Posted by vidiot (2737 posts) -

Splicing game mechanics into different genre's is a concept that has been around since gaming's inception, and RPG's have been flirting with different non-traditional mechanics for decades
Deus Ex says hello, and Japan was messing around with real-time battle systems for years...
Or are we still not considering those part of?...Ugh, I can't follow this anymore. This is what happens when I read something comment worth at 4 am.

Anyway, I think he should have framed that a bit better. It's a little disconcerting when someone you would assume should know their own genre's past history, make broad statements like that. 
But he's in "Let's sell a crap load of Mass Effect 3 copies" mode, so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

@ProfessorEss said:

I think RPG as a genre term is becoming less relevant. Nowadays where everything has at least a  touch of RPG in it it's become more of a gameplay mechanic than a genre.
How dare you define a game genre, based on shared mechanics and design.
#19 Edited by Ghostiet (5289 posts) -

I fucking hate that moment when RPG became an artificial acronym, standing for putting points into Making Poop and Heavy Armor every 2 hours of gametime.

#20 Posted by Binman88 (3689 posts) -

He's right. Their upcoming MMORPG is about as relevant to me as the intricacies of string theory are to a honey badger. Couldn't give a shit.

#21 Edited by Karkarov (3230 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:

Dragon Age : Origins is stil one of Bioware's best selling games to date. EYE got a postive QL and they even mention the fact that the story is indecipherable. People like RPGs and story isn't always a driving factor.

People seem to think DA:O had a great story actually so I am not seeing that as being a good point?  I thought it was a generic trope ridden cliche fest myself but I am in the minority.  And EYE?  Please.  That game is a shooter with some RPG mechanics for character customization.  It is NOT an RPG.  Also I seriously doubt it is selling all that well, or would be well scored if reviewed by a major games publication.  It is in essence, a small dev source mod release, and it shows.

@FlipperDesert said:

Hearing this makes me sad.  Hey, game makers? Give me a traditional RPG and I will play it. I want a wizard and I want to click on the wizard and make it roll a dice to magic missile a skeleton and then I get some sort of loot from the skeleton to better attack skeletons. Get on that.

Do you own a PS3?  If you do they released the one of the most recent Wizardy games on PSN just this year.  True RPG's exist, just sites like Giant Bomb and game journalists in general couldn't care less that they do.  They are becoming even more niche than they were to begin with though, go figure.
#22 Posted by ThePaleKing (613 posts) -

"RPG" is a fucking stupid genre name as it is. Unlike FPS, RTS, Point and Click Adventure, Sports, etc, it doesn't explain any specific gameplay convention, and if taken at its base meaning of "Role Playing Game" it can be applied to just about every game, because in most games you are playing the role of someone or something. It's even worse when people start applying their own arbitrary definitions to it as well, such as "having stats" (Diablo) or "hey this game has a great story" like this Bioware moron says (does this make Half Life 2 an RPG?).  

But anyway, it's Bioware; they rely on dating sim elements to sell their games, I can't say I give a shit about their opinions on the topic. 

#23 Posted by rmanthorp (4047 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

Hah that is so true! I find it endlessly amusing.

#24 Posted by Brodehouse (10107 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow

@Brodehouse said:

I love Dragon Age: Origins, and it's not because Sten has 52 strength, it's because of the quality of the characters and the storytelling. If Dragon Age was a top down shooter that still had the characters and the branching decisions, I would like it about as much.

And EYE is a shooter with RPG elements, like Deus Ex was. You need to be capable of doing the action of putting reticule on man in order to win. Once again, RPG molded into an established action genre.
#25 Posted by JoeyRavn (5007 posts) -

@Rufi91 said:

@Brodehouse said:

Well, to be fair, not many people are reacting the way Brodehouse said. Besides, the problem is that Valve hasn't been an RPG-focused developer like Bioware. If they claimed FPSes (and hats) were "becoming less relevant", people would react that way.

#26 Posted by SexualBubblegumX (542 posts) -
@JoeyRavn said:

@Rufi91 said:

@Brodehouse said:

Well, to be fair, not many people are reacting the way Brodehouse said. Besides, the problem is that Valve hasn't been an RPG-focused developer like Bioware. If they claimed FPSes (and hats) were "becoming less relevant", people would react that way.

Fact is Gabe still said it. Valve is kinda like that kid in highschool that runs around being a total dick to everyone but people love that kid anyways.  Doesn't matter WHO says it, it's still a dick move.
#27 Posted by sirdesmond (1256 posts) -

As long as there are games in which I can actually play a role (creating a character, making decisions based on the decisions they would make, etc.), I could care less if it is a traditional isometric gameplay experience or something like Mass Effect 2. To me, RPGs are all about story and character involvement first, action and mechanics second.

#28 Posted by rmanthorp (4047 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

@Rufi91 said:

@Brodehouse said:

Maybe, but probably only because FPSes (and hats) are clearly NOT becoming less relevant that's to Battlefield and COD etc. In my eyes straight up RPGs are becoming less relevant. There used to be a time when the world would explode when a new Final Fantasy got revealed and now they seem to groan... I can't speak for Greg myself but I hope what he meant is that the standard RPG is becoming less relevant and it needs to be refreshed or maybe just become an add-on for existing franchises (like Borderland and Dead Island or even Puzzle Quest!) and if that is what he meant then people like Cliff Brzezinski has been saying that since forever ago.

#29 Posted by SomeJerk (3364 posts) -

What does he know about RPGs? His company hasn't released one since FOREVER.

Mass Effect 2: Cover based shooter

DA2: Turn-based medieval fantasy combat game

#30 Edited by Tennmuerti (8172 posts) -
@Brodehouse said:

My thoughts on this now are the same as they were when Gabe said a simillar thing:  "yea sure man, whatever"
Point is plenty of people called BS when Gabe said it too. Plus even now there are people in this very thread that agree with the Bioware guy just like there were people that agreed with Gabe.
You are being hyperbolic.

@SexualBubblegumX: @Rufi91: Aping some one's opinion especially when it's clearly lopsised and selective seems kinda simplistic. It's not hard to think for yourself.
#31 Posted by mnzy (2920 posts) -
@SomeJerk said:

Exactly. Tell the maker of several extremely well received games with atleast heavy RPG-elements how it really is!
#32 Edited by Vodun (2370 posts) -

EDIT: Removed 'cause I'm an idiot.

#33 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@SomeJerk said:

I think this is exactly the problem developers are having. What makes an RPG? Mass Effect is all about the characters, story and branching paths.. but it's no longer considered an RPG because it doesn't have a Final Fantasy style side view battle system?

I'm very disappointed with how DA2 turned out, they removed too much of what made the original game great and replaced it with a very watered down experience.. BUT I can't see why people would think that it isn't an RPG, just because it isn't all about loot and stats. So is the genre becoming less relevant? Yes. People don't even seem to know what it is any more.

#34 Edited by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@Brodehouse said:

Hell no, I don't play no goddamn rpgs for their juvenile stories.

I play rpgs so I can make a chart with stats in them and min-max my dudes.
#35 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5152 posts) -

Wow there is so much hate from people here, all he said that the pure RPG games are less relevant witch if you look on the numbers of pure RPG games that were released in the last few years you would also know that.

#36 Posted by nail1080 (1975 posts) -
@FlipperDesert said:
Hearing this makes me sad.  Hey, game makers? Give me a traditional RPG and I will play it. I want a wizard and I want to click on the wizard and make it roll a dice to magic missile a skeleton and then I get some sort of loot from the skeleton to better attack skeletons. Get on that.
it's called Dragon Age 1
#37 Posted by Little_Socrates (5694 posts) -

I agree with Greg, and I've played Dungeons & Dragons weekly for something like three years straight and seven years on and off. The things that make RPGs great really have nothing to do with mechanics. The mechanics of RPGs were largely designed back when it was impossible to MAKE a game where you could, say, aim at every individual part of someone's body, or where you could climb a wall and jump a chasm and not have it use the same mechanics. These mechanics are still viable in a tabletop game because nobody's developed new systems for how to perform unlimited action and making it less complicated than the ones already in place. Gameplay is so dynamic at this point that the original "roll the die to see if you hit"-type stuff is antiquated for a video game. It's still kind of fun, but if somebody tried to tell me the combat in Persona 4 or Final Fantasy was more fun than, say, the combat in Bayonetta or God of War, or that climbing and jumping should be controlled by dice rolls in a world post-Mario or Uncharted, I'd tell that person...well, that I disagree strongly and don't value their genre rigidness, but that's only because I'm trying to be more civil these days. A year ago, I'd have told the person they were JUST PLAIN WRONG.

As for the actual role-playing bits, those were never a rigid part of the genre in video games to begin with; just take note of the people in this thread mentioning Diablo III as an upcoming RPG. RPG was always a terrible name for the genre, and the things that could even possibly define all games considered part of the "RPG" genre are becoming less relevant. You can successfully incorporate player agency and RPG mechanics into action games, block puzzlers, or third-person shooters at this point, so the storytelling bit is really not as exclusively "RPG" anymore. I'd argue this point further, but I don't really care that much so long as BioWare continues to make good games.

#38 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5152 posts) -

I should also mention that as a huge RPG fan this makes me sad but ignoring reality and saying he's a troll or an idiot is just stupid. If the head of the Biggest RPG studio in world is saying RPG's are becoming less relevant I'm pretty sure he has a point.

#39 Posted by The_Nubster (2323 posts) -
@Vodun said:

Considering almost every game these days has an unlock/progression element to it (certainly the most popular ones) I say someone's talking out of their asshole. RPGs are all we're getting these days to some extent.

Did you read the article? That's exactly what was said. RPGs are becoming less relevant as a standalone genre, but are being meshed with other genres more and more.
#40 Posted by PenguinDust (12604 posts) -

As much as we gamers hate to acknowledge it, at least sales wise, he's right.  Of the top selling games for 2010, two Pokemon and Final Fantasy XIII are the only RPGs in the top 30.

#41 Posted by JoeyRavn (5007 posts) -

@The_Nubster: Some people seem to have skipped reading my post or, worse, the article. No one is denying that games have been infused with RPG elements for decades now. The point of discussion is whether the RPG as a genre can survive. Not "shooter with RPG elements" or "puzzle game with leveling up", but a game whose core mechanics are RPG elements.

#42 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

@The_Nubster: Crap, caught me red handed in "responding to topic". =P

#43 Edited by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@Little_Socrates said:

It's still kind of fun, but if somebody tried to tell me the combat in Persona 4 or Final Fantasy was more fun than, say, the combat in Bayonetta or God of War

Bayonetta=>Persona 4>(imagine many, many >'s here)God of War>Final Fantasy(generally speaking-- 9 and 6 are pretty decent)

;)

Comparing those games' mechanics is pretty ridiculous, though. They pleasure entirely different parts of your brains . Persona 4 is a game where I consider my guys' loadout, plan accordingly and then lay out a game plan for tackling the enemies I'll be facing. I play around with numbers and skills to see what works best, and the sensation of beating a boss 5-6 levels before the designers expected the average player  to, is amazing.

Bayonetta, on the other hand, taxes my reflexive abilities and my experience with other action games such as DMC. There's an entirely different brand of strategic elements going on here.

Its like comparing an RTS with a platformer, and saying one is intrinsically better than the other is plain wrong. Mario Galaxy and Starcraft 2 are not trying the same things-- neither are Bayonetta and Persona 4.
#44 Posted by amomjc (977 posts) -

I guess I have always seen an "RPG" as a game like D&D where you are playing a character, not just a face. Games like Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Oblivion, still feel like an RPG to me because I am fulfilling the life of an individual.

#45 Posted by Hailinel (25203 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

@The_Nubster: Some people seem to have skipped reading my post or, worse, the article. No one is denying that games have been infused with RPG elements for decades now. The point of discussion is whether the RPG as a genre can survive. Not "shooter with RPG elements" or "puzzle game with leveling up", but a game whose core mechanics are RPG elements.

Does Bioware not realize that Final Fantasy XIII outsold Mass Effect 2? Or that Dragon Age II was just bad?

Performance of their individual games does not reflect the performance of a genre as a whole.

#46 Edited by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@Hailinel said:

Does Bioware not realize that Final Fantasy XIII outsold Mass Effect 2?

....And Dragon Age put together.
#47 Posted by project343 (2837 posts) -

Comments seem less controversial, and more plainly obvious. Anyone who disagrees needs to stop and think about what RPGs are, and what that definition means.

#48 Edited by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:

Controversial opinion designed to garner press coverage for ToR, ME3 and DA3. Greg, you're full of shit. And you know it.

I don't know. I think he has a point. I think we're just seeing people more interested in RPG hybrids rather than traditional RPGs, and the fact that we're getting a lot of genre-blending these days only plays to that. The RPG will always exist, like the beat'em up, or the hack'n slash, even if the hybrids sell more. 

@Hailinel said:

@JoeyRavn said:

Does Bioware not realize that Final Fantasy XIII outsold Mass Effect 2? Or that Dragon Age II was just bad?

Performance of their individual games does not reflect the performance of a genre as a whole.

And this, as well.
#49 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4868 posts) -
@JoeyRavn said:

I think the traditional cRPG (of which Dragon Age Origins was the last) are gone. Maybe not forever, but they're gone for now. The reason for this is because all of the gameplay systems that were in place to make an RPG fair are no longer necessary. We don't need dice rolls to handle the mathematics of whether or not my sword cut this Orc's head off. Computers do that now. It doesn't mean the RPG genre is dead, it just means that it's evolving. Remember how crappy third person shooters were? I'm talking about stuff  like Rogue Trooper, or even worse, the shooting in PS2 Grand Theft Auto games. It was bad, and then Gears of War came along and turned the whole thing on its head, and now it's a viable gameplay environment to have a ton of fun in. 

I really don't understand why everyone in this topic seems to fear change, or the truth. The default Giant Bomb response to hearing something they don't like seems to be "SHUT UP YOU'RE WRONG AND YOU'VE GOT POOPY PANTS". Zeschuk isn't saying he wants RPGs to go away, or that he wants RPG fans to die in a fire while Dudebros rape their wives. He's saying that in the current environment, traditional RPGs are "less relevant" than they used to be. And how can they not, when every game under the sun is cribbing addictive and fun systems from RPGs?  

Anyone who says Call of Duty's online component isn't similar or a direct lift of traditional RPG mechanics is a fool. Call of Duty using an RPG progression system means that more and more studios are realizing that a lot of genres can't stand on their own two feet for 8-15 hours, so they crib from RPGs. I don't mind, considering it's produced a lot of awesome games so far (like Bioshock, or Deus Ex).
#50 Posted by captain_clayman (3326 posts) -
@Ventilaator said:
"We made a bunch of shitty non-RPGs and people who like RPGs didn't like them. Therefore, people don't like RPG's as much anymore"  Right.
riiiight, mass effect is shitty.  and the people who played mass effect who dont like it are a VERY vocal minority.