• 164 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

BioWare will be revealing its next project at the Spike Video Game Awards show this December 11. The first teaser image, shown just above, and a brief Spike TV teaser video (below) is all we've got to go on right now, so set those speculation guns on full-auto.

A friend of mine on Twitter suggested this morning that the gun the dude is holding in the video and in the picture is a Mass Effect sniper rifle. A Joystiq reader has agreed, believing it to be specifically the M-29 Incisor Sniper Rifle, which was a weapon in the Mass Effect 2 Aegis Pack. If this reveal is indeed Mass Effect-related as this weapon implies, well, I'd certainly welcome that.  

Some other Twitter shenanigans are going on, too. BioWare is spitting out a QR code that, when translated, teases a Mass Effect reveal.... in binary. You can follow and decipher that action here

As Joystiq notes, BioWare's reveal won't be the only one at the show. Director Guillermo del Toro's game will finally be announced, and we'll feast our eyes on a new trailer for Batman: Arkham City. There's also a weird rumor floating around that a Gears of War game with Kinect support will also be revealed. Your guess is as good as mine on that one.

Are you going to be watching the VGAs? 
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

BioWare will be revealing its next project at the Spike Video Game Awards show this December 11. The first teaser image, shown just above, and a brief Spike TV teaser video (below) is all we've got to go on right now, so set those speculation guns on full-auto.

A friend of mine on Twitter suggested this morning that the gun the dude is holding in the video and in the picture is a Mass Effect sniper rifle. A Joystiq reader has agreed, believing it to be specifically the M-29 Incisor Sniper Rifle, which was a weapon in the Mass Effect 2 Aegis Pack. If this reveal is indeed Mass Effect-related as this weapon implies, well, I'd certainly welcome that.  

Some other Twitter shenanigans are going on, too. BioWare is spitting out a QR code that, when translated, teases a Mass Effect reveal.... in binary. You can follow and decipher that action here

As Joystiq notes, BioWare's reveal won't be the only one at the show. Director Guillermo del Toro's game will finally be announced, and we'll feast our eyes on a new trailer for Batman: Arkham City. There's also a weird rumor floating around that a Gears of War game with Kinect support will also be revealed. Your guess is as good as mine on that one.

Are you going to be watching the VGAs? 
#2 Edited by Gonmog (602 posts) -

Sweet.

#3 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

yes

#4 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6407 posts) -
  1. This isn't enough to get me to watch the VGA's, but I'm definitely interested in Bioware's next release.
#5 Posted by StepwiseDuchess (79 posts) -

Awesome.

#6 Edited by Reizarvg (101 posts) -

This doesn't look like Jade Empire 2. This makes me sad.

Why haven't you made that game yet Bioware? Stop fucking around in space and give me some martial arts, dammit!

#7 Posted by Mrskidders (1330 posts) -

"Obiligatory one word comment to try and steal first post that has no real bearing on the post."

#8 Posted by Kyreo (4602 posts) -

I wonder what it could be.

#9 Posted by Yummylee (22587 posts) -

This just in: Dragon Age 2 will feature futuristic firearms.

#10 Posted by TSchonbeck (127 posts) -

The video isn't available in Denmark. Aww,

#11 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -
@Mrskidders: 
Yeah... I read the whole article and replied to the question at the end. I didn't even notice that there weren't any posts. Damn I could have had it :(
#12 Posted by General_D23 (1201 posts) -
@TSchonbeck: 

#13 Posted by damswedon (3202 posts) -
#14 Posted by awesomeusername (4221 posts) -

Been watching it for the past 2 years, so yes, I will be watching it.

#15 Posted by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -

it's a spinoff about the war between humans and Gareth's people. Turians?

#16 Posted by MadLaughter (208 posts) -

Bioware posted two QR codes. The first translated to 55.845. This is the atomic mass of Iron (Fe).

The second one translated to -128.5°F which happens to be the coldest temperature ever recorded on Earth.

Mass FE Coldest Temperature
Mass FE CT
Mass Effect

#17 Posted by SockLobster (456 posts) -
@Mrskidders:  Obligatory metahumour that ironically serves no purpose.

Some kind of Star Wars game perhaps!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?

derp
#18 Posted by Krystal_Sackful (810 posts) -

I'm calling it. MDK 3.

#19 Posted by Ghostiet (5345 posts) -
@blacklabeldomm said:
" it's a spinoff about the war between humans and Gareth's people. Turians? "
Who is Gareth?
#20 Posted by DeShawn2ks (1058 posts) -

Jade Empire 2: Fuck the Kung Fu

#21 Posted by FreakAche (2955 posts) -

Seems way too soon for Mass Effect 3. I have a bad feeling that if this is Mass Effect related it may be that dumb multiplayer spin-off that was rumoured a while ago.

#22 Posted by PJ (1158 posts) -
@Reizarvg said:
" This doesn't look like Jade Empire 2. This makes me sad.  Why haven't you made that game yet Bioware? Stop fucking around in space and give me some martial arts, dammit! "
Thats because You, Me and that weird kid in the back are the only ones that really liked that game apparently.
#23 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4610 posts) -

Mass Effect: ODST

#24 Posted by Doctorchimp (4055 posts) -

I'm more than willing to bet it's Mass Effect 3. 

@FreakAche: It seems that way, but if it were released next year holiday that would be about 2 years. It also seems like they figured out how they want to tell their sci-fi story with the Mass Effect 2 engine and I wouldn't mind seeing more of that...not at all.

#25 Posted by Darkstorn (472 posts) -

Well, it's either Mass Effect 3 or an ME spin-off of some sort. I was really hoping for KOTOR 3 or Jade Empire 2...

#26 Posted by MildMolasses (3229 posts) -
@MadLaughter said:
" Bioware posted two QR codes. The first translated to 55.845. This is the atomic mass of Iron (Fe).The second one translated to -128.5°F which happens to be the coldest temperature ever recorded on Earth. Mass FE Coldest TemperatureMass FE CTMass Effect "

That's way too clever. I hope it's ME 3. They did fast track it, and based on how quickly a Dragon Age sequel wasd made, I hope we'll be playing the next installment this time next year
#27 Posted by Gooddoggy (414 posts) -

I don't think it's Mass Effect 3 - it seems a little silly to release a teaser trailer for an announcement of a game that people already know is coming out.  Also, that guy with the rifle doesn't look very Mass Effect-y.  Could be wrong, though, I dunno.

#28 Posted by Forever (100 posts) -

Oh phew its mass effect related. I saw that and I was like oh no Bioware, are you doing a military shooter

#29 Posted by Drakkel (15 posts) -

If it turns out to be yet another military shooter, it's screwed.

#30 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

My guess is a ODST style mini sequel for Mass Effect. By the look of generic bald space marine #389585693823 in the photo, my guess is it might be a story about what goes on during Mass Effect 2 from the Alliance side of things. 

That black captain guy from the first game that you can go talk to on the citadel in ME 2 talks about the military still doing things, but that since you went rogue he can't talk to you about it. So my guess is you will be the militarys new super solder now that Sheppard went rogue and that it will be a side story of him and the things he was hinting at.

#31 Posted by ShockD (2421 posts) -

"The video is not available in your country". Awesome.

#32 Posted by SammydesinasNL (840 posts) -

Mass Effect: First Contact? 

So a spin-off about the first contact war (humans v. turians)
#33 Posted by Scribbly (404 posts) -

I'm gonna guess that this isn't a new Mass Effect game, unfortunately. My guess is a brand new IP, which is exciting coming from Bioware, even if that dude looks a bit space-mariney.
#34 Posted by DirtyData (78 posts) -
@FreakAche: Dragon Age was released in November 2009.  Dragon Age 2 is set to be released in March 2010.  With Mass Effect 2 released January 2010 a Q3/Q4 2011 release for Mass Effect 3 seems very reasonable.  Even more so if they can bank on the PS3 version buzz.

Here's hoping it isn't an Apple/Beatles let down and ends up just be another Mass Effect iPhone game.

#35 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

A Mass Effect game based on the first contact war would be boring as hell and extremely short, I say its something else or they rewrote the fiction so it wasn't short as hell.

#36 Posted by AndrooD2 (224 posts) -

That is definitely a ME sniper rifle.

#37 Edited by Jolt92 (1587 posts) -

Please be Mass Effect 3 or a spin-off.

#38 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Mass Effect: First Contact War

#39 Posted by Korolev (1729 posts) -

It's not going to be Mass Effect 3 - because everyone with two brain cells already knows it's coming. Mass Effect is an established franchise with many fans - going to such lengths makes no sense. 

Unless.... it's a Mass Effect Prequel? A Spin Off? A Mass Effect MMO? It could still be ME related, sure, but I'm pretty damn sure it's not ME3 that's being announced. Some people have said that the gun looks like a gun found in Mass Effect 2 - but the armour looks too "old" for it to be ME armour. As I said, maybe it's a prequel covering the siege of Shanxi, which would be cool. 

Or maybe it's just another shooter.  Who knows at this point?

#40 Posted by MaFoLu (1859 posts) -

Gears of War with Kinect chainsaw?

#41 Edited by TorMasturba (1089 posts) -
@antikorper said:

" "The video is not available in your country". Awesome. "

This. 

Super annoying. 
And it's not like one of my American friends can't just upload the video to me anyway. 
Duh to Spike TV!
#42 Posted by Vaancor (247 posts) -
@Sparky_Buzzsaw said:
"
  1. This isn't enough to get me to watch the VGA's, but I'm definitely interested in Bioware's next release.
"
That about sums it up. Nothing can get me to watch that garbage.
#43 Posted by samcotts (2258 posts) -

I LOVE Mass Effect, and despite ME2 being one of my all time favourite games, I feel a bit weird about the idea of a spin off/prequel. 

Every time I think about ME, I think back to the post-game romance I had with the tattooed baldy, which seemingly wiped clear the previous romance I had with the brunette. It eats me inside knowing that ME3 will probably reference the baldy romance instead. God damn my curiosity... Anyway...

#44 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -
@samcotts said:
" I LOVE Mass Effect, and despite ME2 being one of my all time favourite games, I feel a bit weird about the idea of a spin off/prequel.  Every time I think about ME, I think back to the post-game romance I had with the tattooed baldy, which seemingly wiped clear the previous romance I had with the brunette. It eats me inside knowing that ME3 will probably reference the baldy romance instead. God damn my curiosity... Anyway... "
Mass Effect is so dense and full of history that they can go off and spin off the game to a citidel cop nior story, a space shooter, or an fps. THey have a huge list of stuff they can derive stuff to come from and i hope this is what that is and hopefully something good
#45 Posted by PatVB (333 posts) -
@MadLaughter: Shit, bro, did you just inception me?
#46 Posted by Aetheldod (3737 posts) -

Oh Boy!!!! I dont want to sound as a fanboi but ...err...emmm.... screw it Im a fanboi on anything Mass Effect and even if it is a spin off action no RPG wahasoever game damn it I m gonna get it ... Or what ever this is anything Bioware is good in my fanboish book !!!!! So in other terms:
:)

#47 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -
@TorMasturba said:
" @antikorper said:

This.  Super annoying. And it's not like one of my American friends can't just upload the video to me anyway. Duh to Spike TV! "
Same problem here... :(
#48 Posted by PK_Koopa (584 posts) -
@antikorper said:

#49 Posted by Shakermaker (40 posts) -
@KillyDarko said:
" @TorMasturba said:
" @antikorper said:

This.  Super annoying. And it's not like one of my American friends can't just upload the video to me anyway. Duh to Spike TV! "
Same problem here... :( "
A YouTube mirror is in this very comment section.
#50 Posted by General_D23 (1201 posts) -
@General_D23 said:

" @TSchonbeck: 

"
Ahem.