Blade Runner-Esque game...??

andrewf87462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By andrewf87462

I have just watched Blade Runner for the millionth or so time, and it reminded me of a game i found on Youtube a couple of years back. Many of the comments were comparing it to the film yet it was not the original Blade RUnner game. It shared similarities in the plot and the fact that like the film you played a detective chasing after replicants, however this is where the similarities stop. I would describe it as a Horror/Sci-fi combination set from a 2D Top Down perspective and it reminds me vastly of Hotline Miami.

However i cannot for the life of me remember the name, and thus i am requesting help to try and find it.

Cheers.

9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By 9cupsoftea

Dreamweb? Not sure about the plot exactly but it had a lot of similarities.

andrewf87462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By andrewf87462

I checked out Dreamweb and it is not what im thinking of. What little i remember of the game involved the police chief being ripped apart in his office by one of the replicants? if thats what they even were.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Maajin

I don't know what game you're talking about, but I would recommend Snatcher! It's an Adventure/Visual Novel from Hideo Kojima, one of his earlier games and basically a mashup of Blade Runner and Terminator. Pretty silly, mostly reading and observing stuff, but kinda cool!

Also, amazing soundtrack. Check out the opening credits song!

HarlechQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HarlechQuinn

At first I would have said Snatcher, but there were no top down parts... Maybe the spin off SD Snatcher?

andrewf87462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By andrewf87462

Just Youtubed the game play and this is indeed the game i was thinking about. No idea where i got 2D Topdown from but cheers. Also pretty similar to MGS

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By jonnyboy

If you love Blade Runner like I love Blade Runner, do yourself a favour and buy the Fez soundtrack. It's pretty obvious it was heavily inspired by it.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By JazGalaxy

If you can handle the odd interface and SNES era gameplay, you NEED to play Shadowrun for the SNES. It's heavily Blade Runner influenced and might be the game you're talking about.

Edit: The game you're talkin gabout being top down, that is

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By fox01313

Older PC game but came up on Good Old Games, that somewhat fits this, is Tex Murphy series. Ripper is also a good choice too.

Trailer for the Tex Murphy Overseer

Ripper:

Fresh727

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fresh727

Hey Andrew...you are referring to a little known pc game called "Nightlong"... it is closely based on the Bladerunner game/movie and frankly, I don't know how they got away with it. Regardless, if you are a Bladerunner pc game fan then you will like this futuristic detective game. Anyone know of any other similar detective strategy games?

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By mordukai

@fox01313: WOW! Even back then Christopher Walken knew he wanted more cowbell.

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Junkerman

@andrewf87462: The only thing I can think of that is ~sort of~ similar... is the Deus Ex series. Except for Invisible War... no one should ever play that game. Its not bad... it just deviates to far from the atmosphere of the Original and Human Revolution.

nintendork666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By nintendork666

I was gonna say either Shadowrun, or Snatcher. Maybe even Flashback. Who knows?

Dchao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dchao

There is that Cyberpunk 2077 coming on in the future, I honesty think you should all keep an eye out. As a Bladerunner fan myself, I'm excited to say the least.

Avatar image for deactivated-59ec818a3faf4
deactivated-59ec818a3faf4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hard Reset is blade runner like in style but not much else. There is a demo on steam so it is worth a look

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Funkydupe

@Dchao: I'm hoping for a darker film noire type setting in Cyberpunk 2077, but I'm not sure what to expect yet. I'm big fan of the Blade Runner movie and I think it can best be described as a forgotten gem these days. The 'universe'/setting and the overall mood in it was pretty awesome and I'd be thrilled to see another movie or games in different genres based on it.

Fresh727

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Fresh727

Hey Dchao....you will dig Nightlong then. It carries that same Bladerunner scenery rich in the dark futuristic setting that you are looking for....I like the point and click mystery solving games myself though they seem to be a thing of the past. I'm moving over to the old Xbox platform to see what similar games might exist...any suggestions?

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Azteck

Snatcher is awesome, so dumb, but great.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By superfriend

@9cupsoftea said:

Oh, dude! Thanks for reminding me of that game! Just a couple of days ago I couldn´t remember the name of that game and it was driving me crazy.

Dreamweb always seemed so freaking hardcore. Should have been made in 1999 and should have been played by Hardcore Dave!

9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By 9cupsoftea

@Superfriend said:

@9cupsoftea said:

Oh, dude! Thanks for reminding me of that game! Just a couple of days ago I couldn´t remember the name of that game and it was driving me crazy.

That game always seemed so freaking hardcore. Should have been made in 1999 and should have been played by Hardcore Dave!

Ha! I tried to play it twice I think but that old-school hardcore puzzle-solving and just figuring out what to do was too demanding for me. Seemed incredibly cool though. I'll probably give it another shot someday.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Sayishere

Rise of the Dragon for the Sega cd, Snatcher was already mentioned

Senno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Senno

Definitely can recommend the Tex Murphy games, they're all on GOG.com now. Also, there was a adventure game based on Blade Runner that was actually quite good. Don't know how you can get it now though. Looking forward, I'm seeing a good atmosphere in Remember Me and Cyberpunk 2077 will hopefully be better than it's name implies.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By vortextk

@Senno said:

Definitely can recommend the Tex Murphy games, they're all on GOG.com now. Also, there was a adventure game based on Blade Runner that was actually quite good. Don't know how you can get it now though. Looking forward, I'm seeing a good atmosphere in Remember Me and Cyberpunk 2077 will hopefully be better than it's name implies.

Hotly anticipating those two titles as well. Don't worry about cyberpunk's name, they're just naming it in the same style as the pen and paper rpgs. I just learned that as well. To anyone that isn't a premium member or is one but hasn't watched, there's a few "good" videos of some of these games: Burn Cycle, Ripper and the Blade Runner adventure game. Lol they won't be finishing the first two but hopefully the guys get back to blade runner some day. It's definitely a genre I feel I love and yet know very little that falls into the category.

Hard reset was fun but outside of the aesthetic doesn't go very far with that cyberpunk feeling. That and deus ex HR are the only games I can even think of I've played in years that kind of fit the bill.

Senno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Senno

@Vortextk said:

@Senno said:

Hotly anticipating those two titles as well. Don't worry about cyberpunk's name, they're just naming it in the same style as the pen and paper rpgs. I just learned that as well. To anyone that isn't a premium member or is one but hasn't watched, there's a few "good" videos of some of these games: Burn Cycle, Ripper and the Blade Runner adventure game. Lol they won't be finishing the first two but hopefully the guys get back to blade runner some day. It's definitely a genre I feel I love and yet know very little that falls into the category.

Hard reset was fun but outside of the aesthetic doesn't go very far with that cyberpunk feeling. That and deus ex HR are the only games I can even think of I've played in years that kind of fit the bill.

I should also mention that the original developers behind Tex Murphy had the studio broken up, and most created a new studio which made a few good adventure games. Since then they did a highly successful Kickstarter for a new Tex Murphy which they got the rights back to. The original actors, the original developers - and they're doing it just like they did back in the day. It even got a few stretch goals, so it will be bigger, playable on Mac and PC and a few other things. Scheduled for release late this year.