#1 Posted by Zirilius (449 posts) -

If there's another thread just merge this one with it but is anyone else sort of excited for Blizzcon this year?

I mean we know what's coming for the most part.

Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls,, Hearoes id the Storm MOBA, possible Warcraft expansion, and possible sneak at SC2: Legacy of the Void. Maybe Project Titan but I doubt it.

I'm super interested in Diablo and SC with some mild enthusiasm for what they do next with Warcraft. Hereos of the Storm could go either way with me but I'm hoping for more of a Smite (third person MOBA) vibe then a DOTA (isometric). But hey if I can play as Sylvannas or Nova I'm down to try it regardless.

#2 Posted by Kidavenger (3380 posts) -

This is probably the first one I haven't been excited for, they really need to get Titan out the door because my interest in everything else they have been doing has been steadily fading ever since D3 came out and was a non starter. SC2 has not lived up to it's promises either and WoW I view as an impediment to WC4 ever getting made now.

Blizzard needs to stop farming their fans and step up their games.

#3 Edited by alanm26v5 (415 posts) -

I'm already sold on checking out the Diablo 3 expansion and loot changes whenever that comes out, and I've gotten so deeply invested into WoW over the years that I'll most likely play that too. I'm not sure if excitement is the feeling though, just curiosity as to what's next for those games. That being said, if I'm around my computer I might have a liveblog up in the background during some of the panels out of tradition.

#4 Edited by erhard (347 posts) -

If I'm not mistaken they're going to show the movie teaser which is enough for me to be excited about Blizzcon. It'll be interesting to see the new expansion, too. I hope they do something new.

#5 Posted by alanm26v5 (415 posts) -

So a Blizzcon Diablo 3 trailer leaked early. No real new news but I always feel bad for devs when stuff like that happens.

#6 Edited by Zirilius (449 posts) -

Everything about that video made me scream HELL YEAH! Don't know how gunho I am about starting over at level 1 as a crusader but they look pretty sweet.

#7 Edited by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

I'm really curious as to what Blizzard has up their sleeve. I feel as if they've sort of stumbled in the past year or so; Diablo 3 wasn't met with the reaction Blizzard likely hoped for, the rise of MOBAs has stolen a great deal of SC2's thunder and MoP seems to have been met with the weakest response of any WoW expansion to date (although I've heard from some long time players that the endgame was more enjoyable than what Cata offered). The most enthusiasm I've heard about anything they've done as of late has been directed toward that card game, of all things.

I think there's a few things we can expect from Blizzcon: more on Diablo 3 and (maybe) SC2 expansions, something on Heroes of the Storm (I'm guessing there will be gameplay footage) and the next WoW expansion; probably featuring some big baddie from the series to try and get veteran players interested again. Oh, and that card game.

I'm really hoping for some wildcard though, especially since it's been two years since the last Blizzcon. I dunno what that could be though; I think the only other title that's known to be in development is Titan and who the hell knows what state that's in since it's gone back to the drawing board, or what it even is now. I suppose they could show something really early for it, as that wouldn't exactly be without precedent.

#8 Posted by TruthTellah (7647 posts) -

I'm excited that Hearthstone is likely going to go open beta after Blizzcon. :D

#9 Posted by Zirilius (449 posts) -

@funkasaurasrex: MoP is actually epretty good and I think the end game is pretty good compared to Cataclysm. Wrath of the Lich King's and Cataclysm's biggest downfall is that they reused two of Vanilla's raids for their expansions. Yes they were slightly redone but overall they were still the same instances.

MoP's biggest downfall to me is that the bad guy doesn't feel as grand as Illidian or Arthas. Garrosh while a giant prick and a racist asshole doesn't measure up to any of the others. It'll be interesting to see where they go from here. I mean we still haven't seen Azshara, Kil'Jaeden could still return, and there are rumors of Gul'Dan making a return.

#10 Posted by StarvingGamer (7561 posts) -

I'm still thinking about getting the virtual ticket simply for the exclusive Hearthstone card.

#11 Posted by Buneroid (406 posts) -

I'm excited for Blink 182!

not rly

#12 Edited by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

@zirilius: I don't think the retcon of Naxx was that big a deal, given that so few people ever did the original. Ony was a little unnecessary, but it was sort of a weird filler raid. For the most part I thought all the main WotLK raids were pretty enjoyable. I don't recall them outright reusing any raids for Cata, although I'll give you that having both Blackwing Descent and Firelands feature a number of old bosses and being so thematically similar to BWL and MC was perhaps a bit much. That said, I think the problem with Cata was that the raids just weren't very good.

You're right about MoP's lack of an established villain being a problem though. I think bringing in bad guys from the Warcraft lore (particularly WC3) gets old fans interested. I'm pretty sure they said that MoP was kind of a break from that formula, though, so I expect there'll be a big bad guy or something around the corner. It's rumoured the next expansion will be called either The Dark Below or Warlords of Draenor, so it'll probably be something Burning Legion related.

#13 Posted by TooWalrus (12973 posts) -

I've gotten back into Warcraft lately and the Mists of Pandaria expansion is god damn fantastic. I suppose I can't really speak for the end-game raiding, but the new starting zones and 85-90 leveling content are pretty great. The economy seems pretty broken, though. Gold inflation is so massive that if you're starting a character on a new server, it's going to be impossible to buy anything useful from the auction house because everything's so expensive.

#14 Posted by Glottery (910 posts) -

I wasn't excited about MoP at all once it got revealed, but I did end up playing it quite a bit. For the first 5-6 months anyway, nowadays I'm bored as hell with it...but I'm still excited about the new expansion! More excited about Diablo 3's expansion, though...and Legacy of The Void, even if that'll probably come out as soon as 2015 winter or early 2016 if lucky.

#15 Edited by Brake (1050 posts) -

@zirilius said:

Everything about that video made me scream HELL YEAH! Don't know how gunho I am about starting over at level 1 as a crusader but they look pretty sweet.

Yeah, I don't know how I feel about playing through Normal and Nightmare again. Hopefully Crusader is fun enough to get me through them.

That said, I'm looking forward to more info on the D3 expansion and anything on Hearthstone.

#16 Edited by Inkerman (1448 posts) -

I've gotten back into Warcraft lately and the Mists of Pandaria expansion is god damn fantastic. I suppose I can't really speak for the end-game raiding, but the new starting zones and 85-90 leveling content are pretty great. The economy seems pretty broken, though. Gold inflation is so massive that if you're starting a character on a new server, it's going to be impossible to buy anything useful from the auction house because everything's so expensive.

Off-topic, but I was just thinking about how difficult that is to correct from an economic perspective, because unlike something like EVE, the currency is dropped (and essentially made) from enemies which constantly respawn (essentially the same as if they printed money). They can't really decrease the amount of money dropped by mobs because that would fuck starting players who now even have less money in an economy that hasn't yet adjusted (and still doesn't solve the fundamental problem). I guess the only solution is if they brought in several new crafting professions, and possibly something else to spend money on which injects money back into the system rather than just spreading it among the players. I guess that's what the houses and farms thing is about, or they could also just increase the Auction House cut on purchases over X amount.

#17 Posted by Zirilius (449 posts) -

@zirilius: I don't think the retcon of Naxx was that big a deal, given that so few people ever did the original. Ony was a little unnecessary, but it was sort of a weird filler raid. For the most part I thought all the main WotLK raids were pretty enjoyable. I don't recall them outright reusing any raids for Cata, although I'll give you that having both Blackwing Descent and Firelands feature a number of old bosses and being so thematically similar to BWL and MC was perhaps a bit much. That said, I think the problem with Cata was that the raids just weren't very good.

You're right about MoP's lack of an established villain being a problem though. I think bringing in bad guys from the Warcraft lore (particularly WC3) gets old fans interested. I'm pretty sure they said that MoP was kind of a break from that formula, though, so I expect there'll be a big bad guy or something around the corner. It's rumoured the next expansion will be called either The Dark Below or Warlords of Draenor, so it'll probably be something Burning Legion related.

You articulated MoP's problem much better then I did. I like Garrosh as a bad guy but he doesn't get me excited like Illidan, Kael'thas, or Arthas did. Looking back BC and WotLK raids were fantastic. Initially I was bummed at the change from 20/40 man to 10/25 man raids but it was probably one of the best decisions they ever made. And say what you want about LFRaid but that is a great tool for people who don't have the time to spend raiding with a dedicated guild (like I do).

I do agree that Cataclysm's Raids were very poor but it just felt lazy to have a redone Nax raid and Ony fight. Granted the majority of people who played Vanilla never got to experience Naxx and it was one of the best raids they ever did. It was the staple of all raids made for BC.

Onyxia on the other hand was a mediocre fight in Vanilla and was simply there as a barrier between MC and Blackwing Lair and way for people to get their tier 2 legs. So for it to have been redone was kind of shocking to me. Like Nax it fit the established lore for the expansion but was probably the least interesting thing they have redone.

Dark Below would suggest Azshara and Draenor suggests Burning Legion. Apparently a trademark for Warlords of Draenor has been registered but we know that doesn't mean much. All speculative but we should at least know more by the end of the day.

#18 Posted by EXTomar (4125 posts) -

Wait what? There was no "established villian" in "MoP"???

Blizzard experimented a lot with "MoP" which is frankly what they needed to do. For story, they made it very clear who the bad guy was from the start...which also happened in "Wrath of the Lich King". The big difference there was everyone "talked" about how scary and fearsome The Lich King but outside of 2 cinematic before you walk into ICC you as a player never saw him do anything even remotely scary let alone big or threatening. On the other hand in "MoP", you saw him and and the other players doing things all over the place. By the time you went into Siege of Ogrimar you know exactly what has Garrosh done and people want him dead beyond "phat loots".

Also the big thing they did right with "MoP" is actually embrace the "special snowflake" that the players are. Instead of being the "random stranger to help out", "the player" is recognized CANONICALLY (!) as a hero and a veteran that have beaten Onxyia and Neferian, a veteran of the Outlands Campaign/Burning Crusade, a veteran who was part of the attacked Ice Crown Citadel and stopped The Lich King, and one of the survivors of Deathwing's final attack and counterattacked to stop him. Instead of having those NPCs go "hey stranger, we need you to do this" they now approached "the player" as a powerful, experienced, and if not absurdly lucky combat veteran who can and should be asked to do only the strangest and most dangerous things. Although "the player" is not alone they are special so why not start treating them that way? It is really one of those "why didn't they do this sooner?" kinds of things.

On the topic of PVE content, back especially in context of "MoP", "Cataclysm" part 1 was a bigger disaster than I recognized at the time and highlighted all of the drawbacks of the raiding system. Although "LFR" is good for some scenarios, "Flex raiding" is the future and needs to be pushed. The content engine should have always been able to dynamically scale and rebalance to what you bring instead of telling players "sorry too many melee so you have to sit tonight" or "raid is canceled because we don't have enough healers". There should be special rewards and achievements for doing 10 and 25 but the nominal raid configuration from now should be "bring how ever many you want".

#19 Edited by alanm26v5 (415 posts) -

I thought the storytelling in MoP was pretty great, especially with how the solo and 3 person scenarios were used to advance it. As far as raiding over the years, life circumstances of both me and the people I played with changed so much that all I can really commit to right now is running LFR, and despite some of its problems, I still have fun and probably wouldn't be subscribed without it existing. Flex is probably a great evolution too, but as someone in a practically empty guild now, I don't personally see the point of doing it if I'm not playing with a somewhat set group. I know I can pug using things like Openraid, but that feeling of socializing and learning to play together and having everyone's gear improve week to week would be missing. My probably alltime high point in WoW was our first Illidan kill, which we got down before it got nerfed in 3.0, and I was fortunate enough to Fraps it, and I still get chills watching it, and seeing chat explode when we got it down. Now if a Giant Bomb guild (US Alliance) were to happen to spring up when this expansion comes out that does Flex.... Also the Brawler's Guild with it's kind of solo boss challenges is super fun, and I need to finish that up at some point.

#20 Posted by Zirilius (449 posts) -

@extomar I agree that everyone wants to kill Garrosh by the end but I think we were just saying that every bad guy prior to him was in some way iconic to the Warcraft franchise. The Lich King stuff could have been better but they were still in the early phases of phasing and the phasing they did in Lich King seems grade school compared to what they do in MoP. If you weren't a Warcraft veteran before WoW I get you that you don't see Arthas being that scare but if you played Warcraft 3 then you know what he is capable of doing.

I 100% agree with your stuff about making the player feel special in regards to the questing and story telling. To add to that each player can look somewhat unique as well with Transmogrifcation now which adds to the player feeling special and not just being another brick in the wall.

@alanm26v5 I'm in the same boat. I think that Flex is the way to go but my times to play are tentative at best and when I can raid LFR fulfills that niche. Does it mean I'll get through all the content I want? No but at least it does allow me to slightly relive my Glory days of WoW when I was a hardcore raider.

I don't know what my personal moment would be but I think it would have to be clearing Malygos for the first time. It had been a long time since I heard people scream that hard into Vent. It made it more special because we were a guild that transferred servers after some drama in our 25 man raid guild basically caused a rift with some us. It was sad to leave beause we were progressing through The Eye in TK and were almost ready to start Hyjal/Black Temple. So after we transferred and Lich King came out we worked our way through Nax (which some of us had done in vanilla), and Ulduar (stil never beat the last boss), but something about Malygos and its mechanics made it that much sweeter when we beat him. I think it was cause we struggled so long on phase 2 and phase 3 of that fight.

#21 Edited by EXTomar (4125 posts) -

They need to add the features of OpenRaid into the game. Building a raid by "LFR" with only the "minimum ilevel" as a requirement is okay but raids need better filtering where you should be able to look for specific roles, classes.

#22 Edited by Seppli (9742 posts) -

After passing on the launch of Pandaria in favor of Guild Wars 2, I'm looking forward to the rumored Warlords of Dreanor expansion. Gaming is seldomly as exciting as during the mad rush of a WoW-expansion launch, even if the whole schtick is mighty worn out by now.

If Blizzard annouces the expansion at Blizzcon, we'll get a kick-ass render trailer out of it - won't we? So hell yeah! I'm excited. Also - I finally want to hear Blizzard's plans for Diablo III for PS4, especially if they'll launch day and date with the PC version of the upcoming add-on, and if the add-on is bundled with the full game from the get-go.

#23 Posted by Zirilius (449 posts) -

According to this destructoid article you can watch the opening ceremonies for free on the Blizzcon site.

Blizzcon Stream Article

That's all I want to watch anyways so looks like I Know what I'll be doing on my lunch break.

#24 Edited by alanm26v5 (415 posts) -

I wonder if we'll see the return of the Annual Pass program. That was the thing where you committed to a year of WoW and got Diablo 3 for free and WoW beta access. It would probably have to be something amazing to get me to go for it again though, like multiple expansions for free.

#25 Posted by Zirilius (449 posts) -

I wonder if we'll see the return of the Annual Pass program. That was the thing where you committed to a year of WoW and got Diablo 3 for free and WoW beta access. It would probably have to be something amazing to get me to go for it again though, like multiple expansions for free.

I'd do it for Diablo 3 expansion but probably not SC2 since I would want to finish my collection of SC2 physical CE. Wish I had done it for Diablo 3 when it came out but I got a good deal D3 since I was working at gamestop at the time.

#26 Posted by MariachiMacabre (6937 posts) -
#27 Posted by EXTomar (4125 posts) -

The big thing they need to announce for the next expansion: New models. Looking at how much articulation is just in the face of the Pandaren puts every classic model to shame.

#28 Posted by TruthTellah (7647 posts) -

@extomar said:

The big thing they need to announce for the next expansion: New models. Looking at how much articulation is just in the face of the Pandaren puts every classic model to shame.

-Optional- new models, right? Because I have a feeling many might object to changing something they've become so attached to.

#29 Edited by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

@truthtellah said:

@extomar said:

-Optional- new models, right? Because I have a feeling many might object to changing something they've become so attached to.

I very much doubt that it'll be optional. While there are certainly those who might be attached to the old models, people have been scuh-reaming for new models for the last two expansions

#30 Edited by EXTomar (4125 posts) -

Right now the "MoP" armor has more detail that most default models. They also have their own particle and animation effects too. So in one sense, you can cover up that goofy looking Night Elf with new armor which fixes a lot of the issue. The big flaw though are hands and faces. The classic models basically have "flipper hands" while the recent models (Wargen, Goblin, Pandaren) have individual finger articulation which means there are some glitches with some new weapons on old races. The other big issues is that many players turn off the helm model for any number of reason so you have a fairly crude head and face stuck on a very detailed armored body.

I get that people are really attached to the way their character looks but that shouldn't be an excuse for keeping the models so crude.

#31 Posted by alanm26v5 (415 posts) -

Well that's another question answered. I kind of wish I could watch this stuff but man $40 seems steep for info I'll know immediately afterward.

#32 Posted by Zirilius (449 posts) -

Opening Ceremony is free.

#33 Posted by McShank (1628 posts) -

@inkerman said:

@toowalrus said:

Off-topic, but I was just thinking about how difficult that is to correct from an economic perspective, because unlike something like EVE, the currency is dropped (and essentially made) from enemies which constantly respawn (essentially the same as if they printed money). They can't really decrease the amount of money dropped by mobs because that would fuck starting players who now even have less money in an economy that hasn't yet adjusted (and still doesn't solve the fundamental problem). I guess the only solution is if they brought in several new crafting professions, and possibly something else to spend money on which injects money back into the system rather than just spreading it among the players. I guess that's what the houses and farms thing is about, or they could also just increase the Auction House cut on purchases over X amount.

That would not help enough, there has been a few glitches in which people were able to hit the gold cap multiple times and just send the money to an alt which means alot of people can just spend and spend and spend and never see any decrease in their overall amount. They need to bring about Titan and put WoW on the backburner till they can make an expansion that revitalizes the game entirely and basically wipes the slate clean. I spent many hours on each expansion.. have over a year and a half time logged in and player on all my characters across the servers and Panda only held my interest till the second wave of dungeons hit. It was the same with Cata.. Last time I played continuously was Wrath. I love all the changes but DAMN, they need to revamp everything and start over. I wouldn't mind, What am I saying, I wish they would turn everything off and start anew with the game mechanics of Vanilla. No more easy raids, No more easy money, No more easy farming. I want a game that takes time. I loved & hated how long it took to farm for the mats to make a cap to go into BWL to fight just Nef. Till then, I will not be excited for blizzcon.

#34 Edited by Zirilius (449 posts) -

Whelp that was a pretty lackluster ceremony. I'm sure they are holding more back for their panels but still pretty underwhelming in my book.

For WoW we learned we'll be getting

-New world: Draenor

-New character models - They did show Orc and Dwarf remodel.

-New Garrisons - Speculating that its some sort of player housing/city

-Boost to Level 90 to start right in the expansion

For Heartstone

-It will be coming to tablets and phones

-Important to note that they are doing Android development

Nothing on StarCraft but I imagine something will be revealed in the panel

Nothing new on Diablo but probably being held back for panel.

Hereos of the Storm Gameplay Trailer

Heroes of the Storm Cinematic

#35 Posted by GnomeonFire (643 posts) -

I'm most interested in hearing about the Warcraft movie at this point.

#36 Edited by TruthTellah (7647 posts) -

@truthtellah said:

@extomar said:

I very much doubt that it'll be optional. While there are certainly those who might be attached to the old models, people have been scuh-reaming for new models for the last two expansions

Alright, yeah, they have confirmed new models! Look decent!

http://kotaku.com/say-hello-to-world-of-warcrafts-shiny-new-character-mo-1461125177

#37 Posted by KirillOrlov (184 posts) -

@buneroid: Tell me more about this Blink 182.

#38 Posted by SpoogeMcduck (158 posts) -

I've got the virtual ticket so I've been watching it. The costume contest was painful/hilarious. Some of the costumes look like the people put them together using old bed sheets and others were amazing. The "how do you kill that which has no life" guy was my favorite though.

#39 Posted by Buneroid (406 posts) -

@kirillorlov: Well see they were a band back in the old days of mullets and plaid. They have a drummer who's looks too tall for his drumset and is extremely overrated.