Blog Post #1 Game Plan.

zepp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By zepp

Well I just spent the latter half of an evening writing up a warning to potential readers. That all went CAPOOT when my fucking internet crashed.  I guess that's what happens when you actually try  to offer your readers a well written, well thought out post. I guess the internet god's would just prefer to have anyone who happens to stumble across this blog realize that I'm horrible, scratch that, GOD AWFUL, at grammar. I don't really feel like making excuses for it; so there I said it. Take it or leave it. This is  your fucking        *WARNING* DO NOT ENTER GRAMMAR NAZI"S!!!!!!!!!!! 

So I've been a lurker on Giant Bomb for about a month or two now, a listener of the podcast for much longer. I finally decided  to sign up for the site TODAY!!!! I must say I am throughly impressed with the site. It's beautiful the whole user interface makes me want to cream my pants. I don't know what to make of the "Quest" system. It 's not that I don't like it or anything but it just seems like another thing to get half-heartedly get addicted to. I say half-heartedly because that's the way I am with pretty much 95% percent of everything on the internet.  It's more of an issue than you think and it's plagued me ever since the start of college.  

You see before I embarked on this journey to the higher education world; I was very passionate about gaming, the internet, and anything nerdy in general. Now, I'm in this phase were the internet and video games are just sort of something I do when I'm bored and not really for fun. In fact, video games for me have become a bit of a bore.. I don't know what it is? I really hope this is just a phase for me; and it better be short! Maybe this is something that happens to every gamer at a certain time in his or her life? Is this just my mid-gamer life crises?!?  But I'm only 19!!!!!!!!! The thing is the geeky culture is still something I enjoy. In the time I have spent not playing video games I've become a more avid comic and graphic novel fan. My friend introduced me to the local comic shop on campus last semester; let's just say I've spent a pretty penny in there! I've also become more of an avid reader; I finally got around to reading the Lord of The Rings Series; something I have been wanting to do since I saw the movies. I guess the whole hiatus from gaming isn't all bad but I'm really hoping it isn't permanent.  

Gaming, has been apart of my life since I was about 5-6, I know that's considered late to some of you. I started out on the PC, playing education games that my parents would get for me. I remember spending hours playing games like Freddie Fish and The Magic School Bus games. I have games like Where in the World is Carmen San Diego , to thank for my geographical knowledge. A lot, I mean, a lot of kids in my generation lack a basic understanding of where they are in context of a map. They didn't really spend much time on geography in school; it got axed to make room for science and math. I'm thankful for my parent's desire to have me become comfortable with the PC at such a young age. I kind of outgrew the educational games once I mastered basic mathematical concepts and could spell six letter words.; hah not really :P. I graduated to games like the Sims and Roller- coaster Tycoon; actually I'm pretty sure I played all of the *INSERT RANDOM ASS CONCEPT* Tycoon games. I was exposed to my first real console gaming at my friend Stephens house. Stephen had a SEGA genesis and I would watch him play for hours; he never let me play though. I didn't really know what to make of it but I knew I wanted one! But I would have to wait another few years before I got my hands on my first console.... 

So the SEGA Genesis was my first taste of a gaming console and while it made an impression it was nothing like what the N64 did to me. I'll never forget those rainy days where you could play N-64 all day at your friends house. It was awesome because you didn't have to worry about making excuses about reasons why you weren't outside. Instead, it was a day filled with video game gluttony. To this day, I still love rainy days, it gives you the perfect excuse to be inside glued to your Plasma TV trying to get that latest achievement or even curled up in bed reading a graphic novel you just picked up.  But back to the N64, the thing was a freakin' gold mine for a 8 year old, i think that's how old I was.. As much as I loved it and no matter how hard I convinced my parents to get me one for my birthday or Christmas, I never got one. Instead I spent the early years of my console gaming history living it vicariously through my friends; random people I barely knew could often be considered "friends" if they had an N64 and a copy of Golden Eye. I remember my dentist, yes, my dentist, used to have this Super bowl party at his house every year. I looked forward to this damn party all year because the dentist's son had a N64 with Golden Eye hooked up in the basement. I didn't start actually watching the Super-Bowl until I was 12; every year prior to that was spent playing Golden Eye in the my dentist's basement.  The wait was coming to an end though, the glory day's gaming were about to begin for me and who would have thought that I would have the fucking NHL to thank for it. 

My dad is a really big hockey fan. He was born in raised in Detroit so it goes without saying he's Red Wing's fan. What's this have to do with gaming? Well it's the reason that my dad finally decided to succumb  to my constant pleading  for a console system.  When I was a kid our family would always make the trip up to Michigan to spend time with my dad's parent's for the Christmas. A lot of this time my parent's would also spend catching up with friends that still lived in the area. This one night I went with my dad to visit one of his high school buddies. We watched a Wing's game and that's where I saw it it, it was love at first site. Out of the corner of my eye I saw this grey colored box with a funky looking controller was laying on top of the VCR. I was extremely intrigued when I saw it and I think my dad's friend noticed my curiosity towards the object. After, the hockey game finished he asked if I wanted to try what he called a "PlayStation" I immediately accepted his offer. The guy only had NHL whatever the year was, it didn't even matter though. I was fucking blown away. I wanted one. I needed one! My dad who up until this point had no idea what a gaming console was looked at the thing like it was solid fucking gold. The very next day, my dad and I went to Target and bought a PlayStation. I remember my dad said I could pick out one game and I picked out fucking Croc. I mean I liked that game and all but of all the games.... Anyways, I know it's kind of pathetic but I think when I'm on my death bed trying to make a list of the top ten moments of my life; buying a PlayStation will be on it. I loved my PlayStation, I didn't really have that many games for it, I was young and broke. I love how when your young getting a new game is like wining the fucking lottery. It was something special and you always played the shit out of the games you had because they had to last you a while. It didn't even matter if the game sucked you still loved it. I sometimes wish gaming was like that for me now, I mean it's way easier to get games now and I like having money.  It's just that getting a new game never feels extremely special because it's just so obtainable, all I have to do is log on Steam or run up to GameStop.  

The rest of my gaming history is pretty bland and cookie-cutter. When the PS2, came out I made sure to get that puppy on the Christmas list; it was two years latter than I excepted but I was still ecstatic as hell when I got it. I played a lot of really great games on the PS2. The PS2 was the console that allowed me to explore multiple genres of games. My collection of game's from the PS2 era is a lot more diverse than my collection from the PSOne. The PS2 is also where my love affair with the Kingdom Hearts series began. I remember I borrowed it from a kid from school, I played this game non-stop the first few weeks I had it.  I think I even faked being sick so I could just stay home and play it. Eventually, I had to give the game back to the kid; saddest day ever! I'm not really saying that kind of obsession is healthy or anything but it sure as hell beats this fucking apathetic attitude I have towards all the games I've been playing lately. 

Don't get me wrong, there are a shit ton of awesome games out there right now, and I WANT to play them. It's just the passion that I used to have towards this part of my life seems missing lately. It's time to take action and rid this anti-gaming demon from my body! Hence my gaming exorcism begins! I've decided that maybe by writing about some of the games that I've been playing lately, it will inspire me to continue to want to play them. I know, I know, It's kind of a weak plan; at the moment though, it;s all I really have time for. School starts back up for me in a few weeks and I'm going to have to focus on on that. There is defiantly room for this little side project though. I don't really expect anyone to read this; it's something that I think I need to do for myself. If there are any reader's out there, give me some feed back. I'll defiantly take into consideration games that you want me to play and write about. Maybe there is someone out there who went or is going through something like this? Let me know, please! I need all the help I can get. I plan to start my fist gaming post on within the next few day's on either Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect Two, or StarCraft II.   

That's all for now,  

Kerry aka "zepp"

zepp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By zepp

Well I just spent the latter half of an evening writing up a warning to potential readers. That all went CAPOOT when my fucking internet crashed.  I guess that's what happens when you actually try  to offer your readers a well written, well thought out post. I guess the internet god's would just prefer to have anyone who happens to stumble across this blog realize that I'm horrible, scratch that, GOD AWFUL, at grammar. I don't really feel like making excuses for it; so there I said it. Take it or leave it. This is  your fucking        *WARNING* DO NOT ENTER GRAMMAR NAZI"S!!!!!!!!!!! 

So I've been a lurker on Giant Bomb for about a month or two now, a listener of the podcast for much longer. I finally decided  to sign up for the site TODAY!!!! I must say I am throughly impressed with the site. It's beautiful the whole user interface makes me want to cream my pants. I don't know what to make of the "Quest" system. It 's not that I don't like it or anything but it just seems like another thing to get half-heartedly get addicted to. I say half-heartedly because that's the way I am with pretty much 95% percent of everything on the internet.  It's more of an issue than you think and it's plagued me ever since the start of college.  

You see before I embarked on this journey to the higher education world; I was very passionate about gaming, the internet, and anything nerdy in general. Now, I'm in this phase were the internet and video games are just sort of something I do when I'm bored and not really for fun. In fact, video games for me have become a bit of a bore.. I don't know what it is? I really hope this is just a phase for me; and it better be short! Maybe this is something that happens to every gamer at a certain time in his or her life? Is this just my mid-gamer life crises?!?  But I'm only 19!!!!!!!!! The thing is the geeky culture is still something I enjoy. In the time I have spent not playing video games I've become a more avid comic and graphic novel fan. My friend introduced me to the local comic shop on campus last semester; let's just say I've spent a pretty penny in there! I've also become more of an avid reader; I finally got around to reading the Lord of The Rings Series; something I have been wanting to do since I saw the movies. I guess the whole hiatus from gaming isn't all bad but I'm really hoping it isn't permanent.  

Gaming, has been apart of my life since I was about 5-6, I know that's considered late to some of you. I started out on the PC, playing education games that my parents would get for me. I remember spending hours playing games like Freddie Fish and The Magic School Bus games. I have games like Where in the World is Carmen San Diego , to thank for my geographical knowledge. A lot, I mean, a lot of kids in my generation lack a basic understanding of where they are in context of a map. They didn't really spend much time on geography in school; it got axed to make room for science and math. I'm thankful for my parent's desire to have me become comfortable with the PC at such a young age. I kind of outgrew the educational games once I mastered basic mathematical concepts and could spell six letter words.; hah not really :P. I graduated to games like the Sims and Roller- coaster Tycoon; actually I'm pretty sure I played all of the *INSERT RANDOM ASS CONCEPT* Tycoon games. I was exposed to my first real console gaming at my friend Stephens house. Stephen had a SEGA genesis and I would watch him play for hours; he never let me play though. I didn't really know what to make of it but I knew I wanted one! But I would have to wait another few years before I got my hands on my first console.... 

So the SEGA Genesis was my first taste of a gaming console and while it made an impression it was nothing like what the N64 did to me. I'll never forget those rainy days where you could play N-64 all day at your friends house. It was awesome because you didn't have to worry about making excuses about reasons why you weren't outside. Instead, it was a day filled with video game gluttony. To this day, I still love rainy days, it gives you the perfect excuse to be inside glued to your Plasma TV trying to get that latest achievement or even curled up in bed reading a graphic novel you just picked up.  But back to the N64, the thing was a freakin' gold mine for a 8 year old, i think that's how old I was.. As much as I loved it and no matter how hard I convinced my parents to get me one for my birthday or Christmas, I never got one. Instead I spent the early years of my console gaming history living it vicariously through my friends; random people I barely knew could often be considered "friends" if they had an N64 and a copy of Golden Eye. I remember my dentist, yes, my dentist, used to have this Super bowl party at his house every year. I looked forward to this damn party all year because the dentist's son had a N64 with Golden Eye hooked up in the basement. I didn't start actually watching the Super-Bowl until I was 12; every year prior to that was spent playing Golden Eye in the my dentist's basement.  The wait was coming to an end though, the glory day's gaming were about to begin for me and who would have thought that I would have the fucking NHL to thank for it. 

My dad is a really big hockey fan. He was born in raised in Detroit so it goes without saying he's Red Wing's fan. What's this have to do with gaming? Well it's the reason that my dad finally decided to succumb  to my constant pleading  for a console system.  When I was a kid our family would always make the trip up to Michigan to spend time with my dad's parent's for the Christmas. A lot of this time my parent's would also spend catching up with friends that still lived in the area. This one night I went with my dad to visit one of his high school buddies. We watched a Wing's game and that's where I saw it it, it was love at first site. Out of the corner of my eye I saw this grey colored box with a funky looking controller was laying on top of the VCR. I was extremely intrigued when I saw it and I think my dad's friend noticed my curiosity towards the object. After, the hockey game finished he asked if I wanted to try what he called a "PlayStation" I immediately accepted his offer. The guy only had NHL whatever the year was, it didn't even matter though. I was fucking blown away. I wanted one. I needed one! My dad who up until this point had no idea what a gaming console was looked at the thing like it was solid fucking gold. The very next day, my dad and I went to Target and bought a PlayStation. I remember my dad said I could pick out one game and I picked out fucking Croc. I mean I liked that game and all but of all the games.... Anyways, I know it's kind of pathetic but I think when I'm on my death bed trying to make a list of the top ten moments of my life; buying a PlayStation will be on it. I loved my PlayStation, I didn't really have that many games for it, I was young and broke. I love how when your young getting a new game is like wining the fucking lottery. It was something special and you always played the shit out of the games you had because they had to last you a while. It didn't even matter if the game sucked you still loved it. I sometimes wish gaming was like that for me now, I mean it's way easier to get games now and I like having money.  It's just that getting a new game never feels extremely special because it's just so obtainable, all I have to do is log on Steam or run up to GameStop.  

The rest of my gaming history is pretty bland and cookie-cutter. When the PS2, came out I made sure to get that puppy on the Christmas list; it was two years latter than I excepted but I was still ecstatic as hell when I got it. I played a lot of really great games on the PS2. The PS2 was the console that allowed me to explore multiple genres of games. My collection of game's from the PS2 era is a lot more diverse than my collection from the PSOne. The PS2 is also where my love affair with the Kingdom Hearts series began. I remember I borrowed it from a kid from school, I played this game non-stop the first few weeks I had it.  I think I even faked being sick so I could just stay home and play it. Eventually, I had to give the game back to the kid; saddest day ever! I'm not really saying that kind of obsession is healthy or anything but it sure as hell beats this fucking apathetic attitude I have towards all the games I've been playing lately. 

Don't get me wrong, there are a shit ton of awesome games out there right now, and I WANT to play them. It's just the passion that I used to have towards this part of my life seems missing lately. It's time to take action and rid this anti-gaming demon from my body! Hence my gaming exorcism begins! I've decided that maybe by writing about some of the games that I've been playing lately, it will inspire me to continue to want to play them. I know, I know, It's kind of a weak plan; at the moment though, it;s all I really have time for. School starts back up for me in a few weeks and I'm going to have to focus on on that. There is defiantly room for this little side project though. I don't really expect anyone to read this; it's something that I think I need to do for myself. If there are any reader's out there, give me some feed back. I'll defiantly take into consideration games that you want me to play and write about. Maybe there is someone out there who went or is going through something like this? Let me know, please! I need all the help I can get. I plan to start my fist gaming post on within the next few day's on either Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect Two, or StarCraft II.   

That's all for now,  

Kerry aka "zepp"

one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By one_2nd

Chyeah hockey..

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By mosdl

welcome to the bomb.

I would recommend Red Dead Redemption, should be a great game to get back into gaming with.  Just beware the cougars.

Axdemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Axdemon

Welcome to Giantbomb! Be sure to familiarize yourself with the quest system! 

SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By SonicFire

I think these things come in cycles...I'm sure you'll find some games that re-ignite your excitement 

zepp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By zepp

Thanks for all the feed back guys :)

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By raddevon

My hobbies are all cyclic. I jump between video gaming, board gaming, comics, music, and a ton of others. Video games seem to be the most constant though. Embrace it! You will come back around to gaming soon enough.

benpatient

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By benpatient

not a bad first post. certainly better than mine!