#1 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6385 posts) -
#2 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6385 posts) -

I love blood splatter on the screen, but Ive met a few that find it annoying.
#3 Posted by natetodamax (19164 posts) -

I'm okay with it unless it's completely overdone.

#4 Posted by nrain (1274 posts) -

first time I chainsawed something in Gears 1 was the day I fell in love with blood splatter.
#5 Edited by Potter9156 (939 posts) -

Depends on how much is on the screen. In MW2 it looks good. In Gears of War 2, however, it is like someone dumped a barrel of blood directly in your eyes. Very annoying.

#6 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

So it's either: 
"A: It's awesome!!! 'bite the head of a bat'".. and should be in everything 
and  
B: Hate it, shouldn't be in anything at all. 

Where's the in between choice? like "it's ok if it's done right, sadly only one game has done that, ever and nobody knows it" :( 

C: It's ok, if done right. Sadly only one game has done it right

#7 Posted by RipTheVeins (1544 posts) -

As long as it does not obscure the action it's awesome. Unless it's meant to mess up your view, like if you're taking damage.

#8 Posted by Suicrat (3764 posts) -

I'm sort of torn. Does it add to the immersion, or does it remind you that you're viewing it through a camera lens (or in the case of a game, that there isn't even a real camera), and then through a television, computer monitor, or projector screen.

I guess it all depends on how its done. In Metroid Prime 1 & 2 I love it (though it's not the alien blood effects that are cool, it's the liquid draining off Samus' visor as she leaves a pool of liquid.) It doesn't work for everything though, in some movies and games it's pretty gratuitous and masturbatory, and I think most of us can tell when a blood-splatter on the screen is unnecessary.

It works in District 9 really well, because of the pseudo-documentary-sorta style of the whole thing.

#9 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -

When it's done right and doesn't look like a cartoon, a bad example, I think it was FEAR2, I'm not entirely sure but from memory the blood splatter just looked really bad, kind of like jam (English jam)

#10 Edited by buzz_clik (6890 posts) -

Should there be a specific Concept page for Blood Splatter On Screen?

#11 Posted by AjayRaz (12416 posts) -
@Suicrat said:   
It works in District 9 really well, because of the pseudo-documentary-sorta style of the whole thing. "
i loved how they did that. it added a cool feel to it.  

on topic: <3 blood splatter. i believe the first time i ever saw blood splatter on the screen was in Vice City, and i wanted moar of it. all games should have it (even non violent games), but not over done, of course. 
#12 Posted by Suicrat (3764 posts) -
@AjayRaz: Fo' rilz, the next Mario Golf could really use blood splatters when you get a hole in 1.
#13 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6385 posts) -
@ZeForgotten said:
"So it's either: "A: It's awesome!!! 'bite the head of a bat'".. and should be in everything and  B: Hate it, shouldn't be in anything at all.  Where's the in between choice? like "it's ok if it's done right, sadly only one game has done that, ever and nobody knows it" :(  C: It's ok, if done right. Sadly only one game has done it right "

I dont like flip flop choices
#14 Posted by Bubahula (2197 posts) -
@natetodamax said:
" I'm okay with it unless it's completely overdone. "
#15 Edited by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

I don't mind it, sometimes it is overdone though and its annoying. I games like Vice city however, the blood splatter looks great and is welcome.

#16 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

I hate it unless it's in FPS games. Otherwise... well are you supposed to think that there's a camera lens?? I know it fits some games' styles, but for serious games that are in 3rd person, well... why? I guess "Because we can" is what I assume the developers are thinking.

#17 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i like it. it's something that some games need. modern warfare 2 is going to be good with it.

#18 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

I dunno, I find it kind of annoying and takes away the realism.  

In some ways it's kind of cool, like Gears of War when you're chainsawing some dude. But in FPS' it's kind of stupid because supposedly it's the eyes that you're looking through and I'm sure blood doesn't splatter on the side of your eyes when you get shot. >_>

#19 Posted by OutOfBounds9000 (2300 posts) -

Games like Manhunt 2 (banned in united st.) are made in hd,and first person version,and reality version,you know,all that in one game. 

And it blood splatters on the screen all the time. 

Annoying shit.
#20 Posted by foggel (2763 posts) -

Left 4 Dead 2: I loved how a zombie came running at me, and when I shot it with a shotgun, some bloodsplatter came on the screen. But that was some, not much. I agree with that it's annoying when overdone.

#21 Posted by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -
@buzz_clik said:

" Should there be a specific Concept page for Blood Splatter On Screen? "

Don't really think so since it doesn't serve any real purpose bar an aesthetic but minor one.
#22 Posted by Slippy (735 posts) -

It's dumb in first person shooters like Killzone 2 and Modern Warfare 2. I don't mind it in 3rd person games, as the whole point of that perspective is that its like a camera following the character; a camera which can be obscured by stuff like water, dirt and blood hitting it. If you actually got blood and water in your eyes you would be blinded for a good while.

#23 Posted by toast_burner (453 posts) -

as long as it doesnt look like some ones wiped jam over my screen i dont mind
#24 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Gears of War is the only time it didn't feel out of place.

#25 Posted by Snipzor (3317 posts) -

As long as tunnel vision is the most I'll get when the screen if filled with blood, then it isn't overdone. If the entire screen is filled and you can't see anything, and if the blood is thick crimson, then it is clearly overdone. That's my rule of thumb.

#26 Posted by HatKing (5765 posts) -

I think it can be amazing if done right, see games like Star Wars Republic Commando...probably the best example of it.  I can't really think of a game where it was so bad it was distracting from the experience, but there are games out there that just don't really need it.
#27 Posted by day2daze (178 posts) -

its lame

and cheap

#28 Posted by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -
@Godlyawesomeguy: It's stupid.  I prefer an effect similar to the one in the Battlefield games and NFS Shift.
#29 Posted by dbz1995 (4789 posts) -

Normally, it looks great-however, I think Gears 2 has the best blood splatter on screen-and I don't even have a 360.

#30 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

Republic commando did it the best! That windscreen effect was a nice subtle touch.

#31 Posted by SammydesinasNL (840 posts) -

Usually I prefer a blood splatter to the screen just turning red (for instance in BIA:HH).
#32 Posted by illmatic19 (964 posts) -

Games should have an option to toggle it on or off.

#33 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

Makes sense in FPS games, but otherwise it's kinda dumb, it doesn't really bother me when palying thought 

#34 Posted by gingertastic_10 (4141 posts) -

If its done right, it's fucking awesome.

#35 Posted by Ghostiet (5208 posts) -

In FPS games, it's plain dumb - when I blast the head of a zombie with a shotgun in real life, blood drops or splatters do not land on my pupils obscuring my view.

#36 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19304 posts) -

It's fucking stupid when it's in an FPS.  How can blood splatter on your eyes and you see it dripping off?  It can add effect when it's a third-person shooter, although I don't like it when it's exaggerated.

#37 Posted by RLLink (367 posts) -
@illmatic19 said:
" Games should have an option to toggle it on or off. "
This. I don't really like blood splattering on the screen to begin with. Not my thing.
#38 Posted by buzz_clik (6890 posts) -
@eroticfishcake said:
" @buzz_clik said:

" Should there be a specific Concept page for Blood Splatter On Screen? "

Don't really think so since it doesn't serve any real purpose bar an aesthetic but minor one. "
I'd agree with you if it weren't for the recent appearance of this page.
#39 Posted by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -
@buzz_clik said:
"I'd agree with you if it weren't for the recent appearance of this page. "

I'm beginning to wonder how many pages like this exist in the wiki. I don't have the slightest clue how that is a concept in any way whatsoever.
#40 Posted by Absurd (2934 posts) -

It's annoying in Online games.

#41 Posted by JDoobs (92 posts) -
@Bubahula said:
" @natetodamax said:
" I'm okay with it unless it's completely overdone. "
"
#42 Posted by Griddler (3344 posts) -

Impartial.

#43 Posted by FrEeZe (301 posts) -

It's a neat way to indicate damage, but I think I prefer the black and white fade more.

#44 Posted by Alphonzo (756 posts) -

I've got no problem with it, but I don't like the way it's used in Modern Warfare 2.  It literally puts a bubbly red filter on the entire screen! I like it when it's used subtly, like in Fallout 3.

#45 Posted by Darkstar614 (1098 posts) -

Yeah im in agreement with "if it's done right it's awesome" theory. The ones I know so far are Gears and Left 4 Dead 2, which are done really well. While it technically makes no sense, as people don't run around with glass panels in front of them, it just makes it feel more like the blood is actually "there" if that makes any sense.

#46 Posted by Chokobo (1228 posts) -

If it's warranted, yes.  The splatter on the screen in L4D2 only happens in extremely close proximity (i.e. Melee weapons, close range shotgun kills, etc...)

#47 Posted by CitizenKane (10501 posts) -

I'm okay if it is done right, same as in movies.

#48 Posted by PureRok (4235 posts) -

Only if it's a first-person game and it makes sense to have anything splatter on the screen. Gore for the sake of gore is pointless and boring.

#49 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

I do like the visor effects that some games use, whether its blood or fog or whatever. On a related note, can anyone think of a game that used such effects before Metroid Prime?