Bloodstained, highest funded game on Kickstarter

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 4

and it's not even finished either.

Koji Igarashi's game, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night , is now the highest crowdfunded game on Kickstarter, beating out previous record holder, inXile Entertainment's Torment: Tides Of Numenera , which was at 4,188,927$.

Guess people really do want their Metroidvania kicks, huh?

No Caption Provided

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I still think when you use a kickstarter to prove interest in a product, you should pull it once that point has been proven. Otherwise you're just using kickstarter to fund the entire thing.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By Humanity

@shindig: Well you're using it to add features, theoretically. Igarashi has a whole gamefied tiered system of superfluous things they can add if they get more money. Like a collectors edition copy with an art book and fanfare, extra modes that are an aside to the main story, etc etc. In theory I assume they wouldn't have the money to keep all these people on payroll, working on features that aren't essential - like time attack modes or whatever. How it actually pans out in reality who knows.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Igavania*

pkmnfrk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig said:

I still think when you use a kickstarter to prove interest in a product, you should pull it once that point has been proven. Otherwise you're just using kickstarter to fund the entire thing.

As a backer of Bloodstained, I can tell you that I would be very upset if they said "Welp, we proved our point. No rewards for you!"

qnnplmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's interesting to see this, especially after all the speculation that the Kickstarter bubble had burst. Maybe the spate of $1,000,000+ kickstarter games coming out and working more or less as advertised has bolstered the market.

Then again, maybe we're all just willing to spend money to have hope.

Raspharus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@qnnplmr well hope never dies

On topic, well while I only recently learned of the game, I do hope it proves itself to be good indeed.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Iga (and his team) had the thing meticulously planned to trickle out. Even if he had gotten the initial 500k + other backing (assumed to be about 4.5 million, if the 90% mark is right) the stuff mentioned in the stretch goals wasn't a part of that. A 5 million budget is now a 9 million budget.

Also, theres no mechanic in the Kickstarter system to allow for stopping pledges once the goal is met - there is no way for Iga to stop people from backing, without pulling the entire project (and losing the needed final 10% along with everything else), even if he wanted to.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

Its good to see that Japanese developer can create something outside the corporate structures of companies being fueled by risk aversion. And people want to put their money where their mouth is to support games that they were hoping for a long time.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is Star Citizen not a kick starter game?

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

I hate to admit it but that crazy gamified social media fanart marketing they're doing seems very effective. That kind of thing feels a bit dodgy to me, but good for them!

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By ChrisTaran
GStats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers