#1 Posted by GearsGamer360 (39 posts) -

Ok lets put this to rest. Everyone seems to be saying that blu ray is just temporary because digital downloads will reign supreme. Well there are a lot of reasons why that is totally false.  1.The only way to have access to digital downloads the easiest way is through gaming consoles such as PS3 and Xbox 360, well what about all those people that dont like gaming, everyday people that just want high def movies that wont even own a Xbox 360 or PS3 and will just buy blu ray player instead. 2. It takes FOREVER to download high def movies. OMG!! I downloaded my first Movie for rent on the Playstation store yesterday (Rambo in HD) and WOW, it literally took 7 hours to download.. 7 FREAKING HOURS! No joke, and 360 isnt better, with a HD movie on the 360 it takes between 3-4 hours!!  Noone in their right mind would want to go through that!!

Another reason is, HD movies weigh in aroung 4-5 gigs, ok what about these Movie addicts that want to own 50 plus movies?! They would need a HUGE HDD!! Another reason is because everyone I talk to just simply dont like the idea of paying all that money for a movie and not having the case and booklets that come with it, thats me personally. I much rather buy a blu ray movie anyday then have to sit and wait hours for a movie to download and take up TONS of space on my HDD. Bottom line is, Blu ray isnt going anywhere, infact in 2 years it will be the standard. Unless sony/MS can make the whole digital download process more seamless without having to wait literally hours for a movie to download, I dont see Digital downloads being the future.

#2 Posted by Clean (2356 posts) -

blu-ray won't dominate till a few more years down the road. I don't think its necessary know. I have a ps3 because I wanted GAMES not movies. I mean Blu-Ray is nice but I just don't have desire to use it now.

#3 Posted by Banzai_NL (264 posts) -

 The HDD storage thing is not really a problem when you buy a new hard drive and internet speeds will increase enough in the coming years to allow for HD streaming, so that you don't have to wait at all.

I think you're right about Blu-ray though. I dont think DD will rule until the next generation of media, which IMO should not be physical.


(Oh and that 7 hours is just dependant on your Internet connection..)

#4 Posted by MattyFTM (14385 posts) -

I dissagree. For the moment, both will fail. Digital downloads are too slow at the moment. Internet speeds need to increase before they become viable to the mass market. Blu-ray is unneeded at the moment due to low take-up of HDTV's. In the long term... Who knows. It deppends whether internet speeds increase before HDTV's increase. I suspect blu-ray will win in the long run, but I dunno.

Moderator
#5 Posted by GearsGamer360 (39 posts) -

Blu ray isnt far from dominating. I mean honestly, all they need to do is work on the blu ray prices. All the casual movies are still way to expensive.. Hitch is still $30.00 on blu ray for christ sakes. Now movies like Batman Begins, Die hard, Rambo etc are well worth $25.00 on blu ray, but these casual movies like Hitch and reign over me that you can get in the DVD bargain bin at wal mart for $5.00 just wont cut it as $30.00 blu rays. I say if casual movies can come to ATLEAST $15.00 and the great action flicks between $20.00-$25.00 then it will catch on. lets not forget. VHS tapes back in the day where literally $40.00-$70.00

#6 Posted by Dissolve (375 posts) -

I think when 1080p movies with full 7.1 DTS HD can be streamed, not downloaded, then digital downloads will start making sense. But, yeah, I've never rented an HD movie on either 360 or PS3 and I never will, because of how long it takes (and I'd rather rent a higher quality Blu-ray from Blockbuster Total Access).

#7 Posted by FengShuiGod (1486 posts) -

Like I'm gonna listen to someone with an Obama avatar talk about the economy of Blu-Ray.

#8 Edited by Evilross (216 posts) -

Blu-Ray will be the media choice for this cycle of media. The storage place is not as much of a problem as the players and the download speeds. If you can't take your media player with you, you can't play the media. This is not a problem with music downloads, when you have small portable MP3 players, but with movies, it proves a hassle if you'd want to bring digital movies to a friends house to watch. You'd have to bring the whole player, due to file size, and content locks, you cant store the media on a portable device like a flashcard.
I think however that film will never really go to full digital distribution. People like to own physical copys. People like cases, and bonus content, and all that jazz that comes with movies. Although music may move to a completly digital format within the next 10 years, I think we will always have some sort of hard medium for film.

#9 Posted by Scorched (691 posts) -

digital downloads are a little ways off
but once everyone's internet speeds are increased to make digital downloads fast that will be the way to go

#10 Posted by GearsGamer360 (39 posts) -
FengShuiGod said:
"Like I'm gonna listen to someone with an Obama avatar talk about the economy of Blu-Ray.
"
HUH?! Ok and obama and blu ray have in common.. what?!  Its a fact dude, have you tried downloading a movie from xbox live market place or PS store, its awful i hate it. Blu ray will be the standard come 2011, go into best buy, you wont even find Standard Def TVS for sale anymore, and all the HD tvs you see are hooked up to a blu ray player and you see lots of blu ray movies on display. Right now its slow but also once and if the economy pick up in 2011 expect more people to adopt blu ray
#11 Posted by FengShuiGod (1486 posts) -
GearsGamer360 said:
"FengShuiGod said:
"Like I'm gonna listen to someone with an Obama avatar talk about the economy of Blu-Ray.
"
HUH?! Ok and obama and blu ray have in common.. what?!  Its a fact dude, have you tried downloading a movie from xbox live market place or PS store, its awful i hate it. Blu ray will be the standard come 2011, go into best buy, you wont even find Standard Def TVS for sale anymore, and all the HD tvs you see are hooked up to a blu ray player and you see lots of blu ray movies on display. Right now its slow but also once and if the economy pick up in 2011 expect more people to adopt blu ray
"
Oh, sorry. This  might help.
#12 Posted by Dissolve (375 posts) -

That's mean.

#13 Posted by Will1Lucky (408 posts) -

I prefer Digital Downloads, much more easier for me in the long run.

#14 Edited by Major (506 posts) -

Considering DVD sales still wipe the floor with digital downloads and Bluray sales... I think it's a bit early to tell which one will reign supreme.

Also, people will ALWAYS want to buy physical items, no matter how much better downloads are. If anything, they will release a DDL and a Bluray version of movies simultaneously.
but saying digital downloads will fail is just dumb... look at the popularity of XBL marketplace and steam

#15 Posted by Bennyishere (1685 posts) -

it's way too early to predict anything right now.

#16 Posted by Nat495 (9 posts) -

I doubt Blu-Ray will be dominating any time soon. Most people don't have high-def TVs, 97% of sales are DVD, and the difference between DVD and Blu-Ray is less than that of VHS and DVD, thus making people wonder why they want to spend money on a $300 Blu-Ray player when the movies are even more expensive than your typical DVD.

#17 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

Disc based storage will NEVER die. Millions around the world prefer it over downloads, because you have an actual hard copy, you're not paying for DATA, you're paying for physical media. That is much more reassuring as well.

I like both, personally I support both, as I will be downloading plenty from the PS Store instead of going out and renting the titles. I buy all movies in the PS Store now, and then for those titles I LOVE (ie Dark Knight), I buy them on BD disc. They can coexist.

#18 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2106 posts) -
MattyFTM said:
"I dissagree. For the moment, both will fail. Digital downloads are too slow at the moment. Internet speeds need to increase before they become viable to the mass market. Blu-ray is unneeded at the moment due to low take-up of HDTV's. In the long term... Who knows. It deppends whether internet speeds increase before HDTV's increase. I suspect blu-ray will win in the long run, but I dunno.
"
Well I think there are plenty of HD TV's out there.  Now its just the fact that in order to justify having a Blu-Ray version of a movie over the standard DVD version right now you need 1, a HDTV(a quality one), a surround sound system(not an all in one box), a Blu-Ray player, and finally, double the money since blu-rays each themselves tend to cost double of what a standard DVD does.  I have all that for the most part so I bit, but its still a couple of years from hitting the masses.

Next, the whole Digitial Distro is still a pipedream.  The first bottleneck is our internet connections in the US suck compared to most of the worlds.  The second is that even if we can get a movie in and hour of 2(sersiously though, who wants to wait that long to watch a movie?), you need somewhere to store it, and Blu-Rays are 25 to 50 gigs meaning that you need at least a 100 gig HDD which would only store 2-4 movies maximum without other content like music, tv, games and whatever else you have on there...so yeah, we are a long long way away from Digital Distribution methods.
#19 Posted by Dissolve (375 posts) -
WickedCobra03 said:
"MattyFTM said:
"I dissagree. For the moment, both will fail. Digital downloads are too slow at the moment. Internet speeds need to increase before they become viable to the mass market. Blu-ray is unneeded at the moment due to low take-up of HDTV's. In the long term... Who knows. It deppends whether internet speeds increase before HDTV's increase. I suspect blu-ray will win in the long run, but I dunno.
"
  a surround sound system(not an all in one box)
Why not home theater in a box? Those make fine surround systems for budget shoppers.
#20 Edited by HitNRun (344 posts) -
GearsGamer360 said:
"Blu ray isnt far from dominating. I mean honestly, all they need to do is work on the blu ray prices. All the casual movies are still way to expensive..
Yeah, that's kind of a large obstacle to overcome.

DVD was a long, arduous road, that didn't come to "dominate" until budget players fell into the $50 range.

Then, too, DVD actually had sizable improvements over VHS on its side. Blu-Ray doesn't have any. Yeah, I know what you're thinking "OMG you idiot Blu-Ray is like a zillion times bigger." You care about that, and I care about that, but the mass market doesn't. DVDs brought things like extra features, deleted scenes, MENUS, captions, dubs, and audio commentary to home video where there was none. Blu-Ray has nothing like that, just more space for bigger resolutions and higher costs.

For the perfect example of this, just look at the US state of the console war. Which console are people buying? The Wii, with the worst benchmark tech but the innovation. Which console have they not bought? The 400 lb gorilla PS3 that doubles as a Blu-Ray player.

EDIT: Blu-Ray will win eventually, but what I mean is it's gonna take a long while. One thing they have on their side is that disc mediums are used extensively for personal data storage now, so people will want Blu-Ray burners for their comps, and that's a way to get people watching their videos.
#21 Edited by brukaoru (5079 posts) -

I, unfortunately, disagree. Digital downloads are the future and unless the world ends in a few years, we will see most media converting to digital distribution only. You say that it takes forever to download something, but you must also consider that internet speeds will increase and costs will also go down. I'm not saying that everything will go digital immediately, it will take time, I'd guess about 10-15 years (again, if the world doesn't end). There are still people in the country without broadband access, but closing that gap is only a few years down the road.

As much as I like having physical media, I believe we will only see things be distributed digitally. :(

#22 Posted by Dissolve (375 posts) -

Yeah, Blu-ray's high prices have resulted in me only owning 3 Blu-rays as opposed to 25 HD DVDs.

#23 Posted by carzy (275 posts) -
GearsGamer360 said:
"Ok lets put this to rest. Everyone seems to be saying that blu ray is just temporary because digital downloads will reign supreme. Well there are a lot of reasons why that is totally false.  1.The only way to have access to digital downloads the easiest way is through gaming consoles such as PS3 and Xbox 360, well what about all those people that dont like gaming, everyday people that just want high def movies that wont even own a Xbox 360 or PS3 and will just buy blu ray player instead. 2. It takes FOREVER to download high def movies. OMG!! I downloaded my first Movie for rent on the Playstation store yesterday (Rambo in HD) and WOW, it literally took 7 hours to download.. 7 FREAKING HOURS! No joke, and 360 isnt better, with a HD movie on the 360 it takes between 3-4 hours!!  Noone in their right mind would want to go through that!!

Another reason is, HD movies weigh in aroung 4-5 gigs, ok what about these Movie addicts that want to own 50 plus movies?! They would need a HUGE HDD!! Another reason is because everyone I talk to just simply dont like the idea of paying all that money for a movie and not having the case and booklets that come with it, thats me personally. I much rather buy a blu ray movie anyday then have to sit and wait hours for a movie to download and take up TONS of space on my HDD. Bottom line is, Blu ray isnt going anywhere, infact in 2 years it will be the standard. Unless sony/MS can make the whole digital download process more seamless without having to wait literally hours for a movie to download, I dont see Digital downloads being the future."
k obama thats great no one cares
#24 Posted by Balls (525 posts) -

I dunno people like easy. digital audio is doing way much better than hd audio no one buys supercds or anything liekt ath