Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

Edited By Tylea002

Exactly What It Says On The Tin

As you may have guessed, the two games featured in today's blog are Blur and Borderlands. And a musical interlude. Shall we begin?

Borderlands

Oh Borderlands. How I love thee. How I love the single player MMO idea. How I love that, in my sixteen year old, non-experienced mind, I can see the genius design decisions that were made in your development. Also: Oh Borderlands. How I hate the. How I hate the single player MMO idea. How I hate that, in my sixteen year old, non-experienced mind, I can see the terrible design decisions that were made in your development. 

I'm divided, to say the least, on Borderlands. Not as much as that last paragraph may have led you to believe, because don't get me wrong: I love that game. It is just that, I always notice the flower of my love is drooping, with maggots and holes, and not enough light is getting to it to allow it to prosper like it should. Then swiftly, the light comes and the plant is healed. Its almost like this plant itself is on pandora, 20 minutes of love, 20 minutes of hate. Kind of.

The shooting is spot on. The RPG mechanics, when they are spot on, are spot on. When they aren't spot on, however, they terrorise me to levels of anger and outrage that are rarely felt from a video game. Getting new guns is awesome. Getting XP is awesome. Therefore, I do *all* the quests. Then the game tells me I'm overlevelled for every quest. I understand you need to balance it for everyone, and In my mind, I have no legitimate solution to this problem, but it just makes me sad. Also, I hate losing money for dying. I hate it so much! Just...its just...man. If they make a Borderlands 2, I'd prefer a much nicer punishment than losing hella money.

I'll lay off talking for now. Will share my opinions more when its finished. I did buy all DLC packs when I bought the game, so I look forward to shooting zombies and mechs. I *don't* look forward to Mad Moxxi, though. I still bought it, though. The bank is good, I suppose.

A Musical Interlude

This September, shortly after being addicted to the release of The Protomen's new album, I discovered a band. Never before have I discovered a band, became addicted for a short while, then, months later, they have remained my favourite and I totally have tickets to see them in London the very day after my examinations this summer. Shit is getting awesome. So I present to you a song, an excuse to break up the blog, and a chance for you to listen to one of the best musical experiences ever. Also, if you care about my opinions, and actually read my blog, do tell me if I should start doing some musical themed blogs. I like music.  Anyway, without further ado...

Blur: Multiplayer Beta

Blur is a video game. One that I am lucky to be able to play. I have now played it for, lets say 40 minutes, won 0 races, got 0 top three finishes and, obviously, can see room for improvement. However, credit to Bizzarre where credit is due, it is a fun, surprisingly deep arcade racing game, at its best when 20 racers are in a pack together and shit is crazy. I only had one match like that, having waited in the same lobby for a few games, it slowly built up, til it peaked at 15 and then EVERYONE left after that game. This made me sad.

Anyway, because prose is too complicated for my immature mind, allow me to quote a wise man. Bring da lists, mutherfucka. 

Blur - The Good

• Power Ups. They work Great, and are balanced well.
  • Carnage. Mayhem. Metal Destruction. Any other phrase that may have been used by Craig Charles on Robot Wars. (REFERENCES!)
  • Meta Games are awesome. Levelling up, challenges and everything, seems like it will have a positive impact on my experience in the future.

Blur - The Improvable

• It's a Beta! Graphical bugs in the opening cinematics for each race are present every time. That *will* be Ironed out, I trust Bizarre.
  • Handling. Maybe I haven't gotten the turning right yet, but it definitely isn't like PGR for corners. I still have yet to work out how to truly turn properly in that game, and am usually bottom o' the pack for that.
  • Track Design. Too many streets, too many corners. Not enough JUMPS. Game is best in JUMPS. There are various JUMPS in certain tracks, and the JUMPS are definitely the highlight. Feels like they held back and went more NFS style with it, though perhaps I'd prefer the other direction. Not too much of an issue, I just like fucking JUMPS.
And so ends Today's Coverage on Blur. My feelings and ability to actually play the game shall progress as the beta continues. Also I am from the UK and will pronounce it "Beeta."

In Other News...

• Examinations! Good times. NOT.
  • I write songs for fun, as I probably mention all the fucking time. A project is now forming up! If any...wait, no. This is a video game site! Though when I do upload songs, I'll fucking plug 'em to shit.
  • Polo Spearmint is a damn tasty thing. I am unsure of how exactly to define it, but it tastes good. One is in my mouth now.
  • Also, Coheed and Cambria are fucking awesome and I can see myself doing a blog on my favourite bands. And films and games, to keep it relevant.
  • PEACE!
Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Tylea002

Exactly What It Says On The Tin

As you may have guessed, the two games featured in today's blog are Blur and Borderlands. And a musical interlude. Shall we begin?

Borderlands

Oh Borderlands. How I love thee. How I love the single player MMO idea. How I love that, in my sixteen year old, non-experienced mind, I can see the genius design decisions that were made in your development. Also: Oh Borderlands. How I hate the. How I hate the single player MMO idea. How I hate that, in my sixteen year old, non-experienced mind, I can see the terrible design decisions that were made in your development. 

I'm divided, to say the least, on Borderlands. Not as much as that last paragraph may have led you to believe, because don't get me wrong: I love that game. It is just that, I always notice the flower of my love is drooping, with maggots and holes, and not enough light is getting to it to allow it to prosper like it should. Then swiftly, the light comes and the plant is healed. Its almost like this plant itself is on pandora, 20 minutes of love, 20 minutes of hate. Kind of.

The shooting is spot on. The RPG mechanics, when they are spot on, are spot on. When they aren't spot on, however, they terrorise me to levels of anger and outrage that are rarely felt from a video game. Getting new guns is awesome. Getting XP is awesome. Therefore, I do *all* the quests. Then the game tells me I'm overlevelled for every quest. I understand you need to balance it for everyone, and In my mind, I have no legitimate solution to this problem, but it just makes me sad. Also, I hate losing money for dying. I hate it so much! Just...its just...man. If they make a Borderlands 2, I'd prefer a much nicer punishment than losing hella money.

I'll lay off talking for now. Will share my opinions more when its finished. I did buy all DLC packs when I bought the game, so I look forward to shooting zombies and mechs. I *don't* look forward to Mad Moxxi, though. I still bought it, though. The bank is good, I suppose.

A Musical Interlude

This September, shortly after being addicted to the release of The Protomen's new album, I discovered a band. Never before have I discovered a band, became addicted for a short while, then, months later, they have remained my favourite and I totally have tickets to see them in London the very day after my examinations this summer. Shit is getting awesome. So I present to you a song, an excuse to break up the blog, and a chance for you to listen to one of the best musical experiences ever. Also, if you care about my opinions, and actually read my blog, do tell me if I should start doing some musical themed blogs. I like music.  Anyway, without further ado...

Blur: Multiplayer Beta

Blur is a video game. One that I am lucky to be able to play. I have now played it for, lets say 40 minutes, won 0 races, got 0 top three finishes and, obviously, can see room for improvement. However, credit to Bizzarre where credit is due, it is a fun, surprisingly deep arcade racing game, at its best when 20 racers are in a pack together and shit is crazy. I only had one match like that, having waited in the same lobby for a few games, it slowly built up, til it peaked at 15 and then EVERYONE left after that game. This made me sad.

Anyway, because prose is too complicated for my immature mind, allow me to quote a wise man. Bring da lists, mutherfucka. 

Blur - The Good

• Power Ups. They work Great, and are balanced well.
  • Carnage. Mayhem. Metal Destruction. Any other phrase that may have been used by Craig Charles on Robot Wars. (REFERENCES!)
  • Meta Games are awesome. Levelling up, challenges and everything, seems like it will have a positive impact on my experience in the future.

Blur - The Improvable

• It's a Beta! Graphical bugs in the opening cinematics for each race are present every time. That *will* be Ironed out, I trust Bizarre.
  • Handling. Maybe I haven't gotten the turning right yet, but it definitely isn't like PGR for corners. I still have yet to work out how to truly turn properly in that game, and am usually bottom o' the pack for that.
  • Track Design. Too many streets, too many corners. Not enough JUMPS. Game is best in JUMPS. There are various JUMPS in certain tracks, and the JUMPS are definitely the highlight. Feels like they held back and went more NFS style with it, though perhaps I'd prefer the other direction. Not too much of an issue, I just like fucking JUMPS.
And so ends Today's Coverage on Blur. My feelings and ability to actually play the game shall progress as the beta continues. Also I am from the UK and will pronounce it "Beeta."

In Other News...

• Examinations! Good times. NOT.
  • I write songs for fun, as I probably mention all the fucking time. A project is now forming up! If any...wait, no. This is a video game site! Though when I do upload songs, I'll fucking plug 'em to shit.
  • Polo Spearmint is a damn tasty thing. I am unsure of how exactly to define it, but it tastes good. One is in my mouth now.
  • Also, Coheed and Cambria are fucking awesome and I can see myself doing a blog on my favourite bands. And films and games, to keep it relevant.
  • PEACE!
MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By MetalGearSunny

Coheed and Cambria is pretty good.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

I do love me my borderlands, though if you happen to do every side quest you will quickly find the majority of game far too easy. Thats what the General Knoxx DLC is for, it has a good rule of ''do sidequests or DIE!!!....ALOT!!!''
Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Tylea002
@Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
" Coheed and Cambria is pretty good. "
What is this?! Music Taste....We....AGREE ON?!
Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Icil

I feel exactly the same way you do about Borderlands. I think it's a feeling shared among many people. If Gearbox did a great sequel, it may stand among the best and most original games. (Also, Brock's boxing is lame: Activate. Mash R as fast as I can. Lose framerate/can't see shit.)

Gonna try Blur, but I'm gonna hit up the Just Cause 2 demo first.

Also, Coheed is good stuff. I went through a month or two loving their music. Recently, The Flaming Lips have been owning up my iPod's play time: