• 93 results
#1 Posted by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -

And weirder than ever.

(Via Kotaku)

You may remember, back in the heady days of 2008, the saga of Robert Pelloni desperately petitioning for Nintendo to notice and subsequently publish his home-grown RPG known only as 'Bob's Game'. Pelloni's campaign could only be described as bizarre, bordering on insane, culminating eventually in him locking himself in his own room with a 24/7 webcam feed and refusing to come out until he got to talk to Reggie.*

(*These may not be the exact circumstances of that whole fiasco, but it was about that crazy.)

After those events, Bob sort of disappeared. Well guess what, motherfuckers? Bob is back with a kickstarter, and he's completely gone off his shit.

A few choice excerpts:

It is a game within a game about the development of itself in realtime, paralleled with a real life tournament to coincide with the virtual. "bob's game" blends the line between reality and simulation, and reality and extra-dimensional reality. "bob's game" breaks both the so-called "4th wall" and further yet- the "5th wall," unlocking the secrets of "the Matrix," or "the Womb" as it is referred to in some editions of the Bible.

And, from his website;

I started tripping in Whole Foods and then ran to my car in the parking garage and typed this in a trance in all caps.

I've got probably hundreds more pages of stuff like this buried somewhere. But it is probably the same sort of thing, I never read it.

I AM THE SON OF GOD.

GOD IS MY FATHER. MY FATHER IS GOD.

GOD'S NAME IS JEALOUS.

THAT'S WHAT I'VE BEEN RUNNING FROM.

WE ARE ALL EXTENSIONS OF THE SAME BEING.

MANKIND IS GOD.

WE ARE IN A GAME INSIDE OUR COLLECTIVE HEADS.

WE ARE GOD PLAYING A GAME WITH HIMSELF THROUGH TIME.

THE LAST PERSON TO BEAT THE GAME WAS 2000 YEARS AGO!

THERE IS A MANUAL!!!!

IT IS SO IMPORTANT WE PASSED IT DOWN FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS!

IT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING!!

IT IS REAL!!!

I AM A PROPHET!

I AM THE SON OF GOD

GOD IS MY FATHER!

ALL FATHERS ARE GOD!

GOD IS WATCHING OUR PROGRESS!

"IT'S ALL FOR YOU!!" HE SAYS!

GOD IS WATCHING OUR SINS AND KEEPING SCORE!

Apparently the kickstarter is more or less so he can buy a van to live in. This shit is exactly as fucking mind bending as I would hope the grand return of Bob to be, and I could not be more stoked.

#2 Posted by ch3burashka (5258 posts) -

>Breaks the 5th wall

It's been a great ride, but I hope he gets help.

#3 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

He's gone Time Cube on us. Holy shit.

#4 Posted by JasonR86 (9729 posts) -

It's unfortunate that we keep giving this guy attention. I get why we do. But it's still unfortunate.

#5 Posted by mosespippy (4466 posts) -

When I saw the kickstarter this morning I laughed so hard. I was actually thinking whatever happened to Bob's Game a couple days ago.

#6 Posted by Nilhelm (28 posts) -

Super Hack Van!

#7 Posted by Veektarius (5025 posts) -

@hailinel said:

He's gone Time Cube on us. Holy shit.

Haha, it's great that other people know about Time Cube! I thought I was the only one.

#8 Posted by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

It's unfortunate that we keep giving this guy attention. I get why we do. But it's still unfortunate.

I recognize I am totally part of the problem here, but god do I want to see the endgame to all of this. Unless the endgame eventually turns out to be Bob going all Timothy McVeigh, at which point I'm going to regret giving this exposure.

#9 Posted by TheRookie727 (80 posts) -

Super weird I was just listening to a old bombcast talking about this.

#10 Posted by ShaggE (6717 posts) -

I keep hoping that this guy is just one hell of a performance artist.

#11 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4893 posts) -

@shagge said:

He could be. One of his buddies is Tim Rogers. If you don't know who that is, the long and short of it is "batshit crazy kotaku writer who lives in Japan and talks about what great bowel movements he's had and how awesome the water pressure over there is." He also on occasion has interesting things to say about video games.

#12 Posted by Itwongo (1246 posts) -

Shit, man. I was just wondering what happened to this guy a couple of days ago.

#13 Posted by GalacticPunt (1108 posts) -

I remember the first round of Bob's Game insanity a few years back, and yet I hope that all of this is REALLY Frog Fractions 2.

#14 Edited by Drakoji (230 posts) -

@galacticpunt: That would be the most amazing thing ever. That would mean that Frog Fractions 2 was a project in the making for almost 10 years...

And as a big fan of Grant Morrison, all this meta weird shit is getting me really hyped up.

#15 Posted by Sweep (8983 posts) -

The thing that depresses me the most about this is that Kotaku picked it up and ran with it. Objectively it's moronic; the focus is on the guy, not the game he's making. Also, I'm no psychiatrist, but I'm pretty sure that feeding this kind of attention-seeking behaviour is unhealthy? Kotaku seem pretty happy to point the internet at an individual and then act surprised at the consequences, but it's not journalism and it's ethically fucked up, especially when that person is clearly suffering in some way.

But it's fucking Kotaku. There's a reason I'm here, and not there.

#16 Posted by Drakoji (230 posts) -

I remember reading up on this dude and it's game back when I was really active on GBAtemp.net... and honestly, if this game can come out one day, I'll be super happy.

I really need to see the end of this saga.

#17 Posted by TheHT (11815 posts) -

Is... is this Frog Fractions 2?

#19 Posted by ShaggE (6717 posts) -

@shagge said:

He could be. One of his buddies is Tim Rogers. If you don't know who that is, the long and short of it is "batshit crazy kotaku writer who lives in Japan and talks about what great bowel movements he's had and how awesome the water pressure over there is." He also on occasion has interesting things to say about video games.

Oh man, Tim Rogers. Now it all makes sense. (I really want to make this reply about 65 rambling paragraphs long, but I just don't have it in me)

#20 Posted by domowoj (9 posts) -

@oldirtybearon: he totally is. he and tim made a video a few years ago where they went around E3 doing pushups and he seemed as normal as a dude could be while doing something like that. the kickstarter page does a pretty good job breaking down what actually happened (tl;dr most games media outlets are run by incompetent morons).

bob's game looked super dope back in the day so i'm all for rekindled development.

#21 Posted by StarvingGamer (8559 posts) -
@sweep said:

The thing that depresses me the most about this is that Kotaku picked it up and ran with it. Objectively it's moronic; the focus is on the guy, not the game he's making. Also, I'm no psychiatrist, but I'm pretty sure that feeding this kind of attention-seeking behaviour is unhealthy? Kotaku seem pretty happy to point the internet at an individual and then act surprised at the consequences, but it's not journalism and it's ethically fucked up, especially when that person is clearly suffering in some way.

Your face is going to be so red when they reveal that the next ER is just going be Patrick embedded with this guy for a year.

#22 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7100 posts) -
@sweep said:

Did Kotaku talk shit about Dredd?

In all seriousness, I agree with this and with what @jasonr86 said. It's pretty disgusting that Kotaku sees this guy who is very clearly suffering from some mental issues (or addiction, or both, judging by the OPs quotes.) and just shows him to the world for laughs. That website has never been very good but this is a pretty low point for them to sink to, for sure.

#23 Posted by Wolfgame (883 posts) -

I'm kinda cheering for the fail to make goal tier. All that business about getting his GED and going to college sounds a whole lot more promising than this whole working our of a van idea. This isn't even funny in that special "ironic" kind of way. Assuming these words on kickstarter are genuine, this is a person fighting some tremendous emotional demons right now. Furthest thing on his mind should be about completing a kickstarter.

#24 Posted by Cozmicaztaway (221 posts) -

So that kickstarter is absolutely fucking insane and it's impossible to even tell what will be made... So yeah, it's pretty fascinating. Go be your own man, Bob!

#25 Posted by JasonR86 (9729 posts) -

@theht:

Oh man that would be fucking incredible.

#26 Posted by Vuud (2035 posts) -

Yeah, okay then.

#27 Posted by TooWalrus (13258 posts) -

I... think maybe we should give him what he wants.

#28 Posted by InsidiousTuna (426 posts) -

Oh, man, I forgot about Bob and his game!

#29 Posted by MattyFTM (14432 posts) -

I'm not sure whether I should give money to him or a mental health charity.

#30 Posted by MAJID (223 posts) -

Jeff Gerstmann in 09: "he has to hurt himself or someone else for me to be interested"

#31 Posted by Hunter5024 (5976 posts) -

I've known crazy people, and he sounds too crazy to be crazy.

#32 Edited by AngriGhandi (792 posts) -

Crazy man? Brilliant performance artist?

I'm going with "crazy man... who thinks he is a brilliant performance artist pretending to be a crazy man."

-Which should lead to a pret-ty interesting game.

#33 Posted by NUCLEAR_CHIRON (19 posts) -

I feel like the worst outcome would be if he actually got funding and the game turned out to just be lame. Even though I think a lot of this is an act, dude still seems legit crazy. I don't think he could handle people saying his game sucks after everything that has happened.

#34 Posted by Fattony12000 (7578 posts) -

#35 Posted by ottoman673 (573 posts) -

I... i need to see this be completed. It's not often we get to solve internet mysteries such as Bob's Game... this isn't an opportunity we should pass on. I may have to throw my $20 in.

#36 Posted by Fattony12000 (7578 posts) -

#37 Edited by lord_canti (1522 posts) -

i had sympathy for him until he tried to force copies of his game on the shelves at the nintendo world store and him and his dumb friends got kicked out.

also his game has always looked bad and worth no ones time

#38 Edited by dudeglove (8308 posts) -

@shagge said:

He's not batshit crazy, he's just an utterly colossal nonce who works for a horrendous organization. His articles are turgid and he also goes out of his way to look like a twat.

I will give him credit for calling FFXIII shit, though. Broken clocks n'all that.

#39 Edited by EuanDewar (5103 posts) -

Didn't dude come out after all that stuff first happened with like a really lengthy video explaining how it was all a stunt?

#40 Posted by SecondPersonShooter (619 posts) -

Didn't dude come out after all that stuff first happened with like a really lengthy video explaining how it was all a stunt?

Yes but that video also looked like it was made by a crazy person.

#41 Edited by Bocam (3829 posts) -

Is this Frog Fractions 2?

#42 Edited by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@dudeglove: I honestly couldn't tell what Tim Rogers thought of Final Fantasy XIII. His Kotaku review was meandering and nonsensical, unable to get a single point across while constantly reminding the reader of his age. Regardless of the fact that I disagree with his (apparent?) assessment of the game, that he is incapable of writing clear, concise text and able to get away with not needing an editor is one of the many reasons I stopped reading Kotaku years ago.

Really, Kotaku is a terrible place.

#43 Posted by planetfunksquad (533 posts) -

he's just an utterly colossal nonce

You know that a nonce is a pedophile right?

#44 Posted by notdavid (842 posts) -

Wasn't this revealed to be performance art or something back in 2008?

#45 Edited by DorkyMohr (184 posts) -
#46 Edited by believer258 (12208 posts) -

@planetfunksquad said:

@dudeglove said:

he's just an utterly colossal nonce

You know that a nonce is a pedophile right?

He does want a van.

EDIT: Nevermind, you're referring to the wrong person.

Tim Rogers is friends with a guy who wants a van, so close enough.

#47 Posted by Legend (2664 posts) -

What's with all the negativity about this game? Props to the guy for following his dream and doing what he wants to do. He has shown more passion about his game than many people who make games for a living. It's been 10 years since he started working on it and he hasn't given up on it yet. I understand why he did all those "stunts" 5 years ago. It's because he needed people to pay attention to what he was doing and I guess that was the best way he could come up with. Most people including myself wouldn't have heard of him if he hadn't done what he did.

What really matters though is the game itself, and from the demos I played and the many gameplay videos posted on youtube, it has the potential to be a great RPG and definitely worth the $20 he's asking if not more. Oh, and about the van thing that everyone is bringing up, any developer making a Kickstarter will take into account office space, equipment and living expenses. He said in his stretch goals that he wants to rent an office if he gets enough money, but if not, he doesn't mind working on the game in a van. Now that's dedication.

#48 Posted by casper_ (908 posts) -

i think this may be some kind of amazing performance art.

#49 Posted by Animasta (14727 posts) -
#50 Posted by Haruko (322 posts) -

Give him all the money he needs because I need to see this shit.