#1 Posted by DaMisterChief (628 posts) -
During the company's latest earnings call, Kotick was asked about the future of the money-printing Skylanders franchise, specifically about the breakdown of install bases between the existing consoles. He replied "we were somewhat disappointed with the launch of the Wii U. We're concerned about the install base for 6-11 year-olds".
Considering publishers are usually coy when making public statements about platform holders, that's a surprisingly blunt assessment of the console, albeit one that must be supported by numbers or...he wouldn't have said it.
from kotatsu

I know it really due to lack of nintendo games but is that all this console will be waiting for 1st party releases??? Oh wait that was the original wii. What is the point in buying it. If the COD juggernaut can not sell the millions it moves on other platforms whats up with that?

#2 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

Exactly why would 3rd party companies like a machine, that no one buys 3rd party games for?

#3 Posted by Daveyo520 (6654 posts) -

@DaMisterChief: Just waiting for first party releases is all Nintendo consoles have been for a long time.

#4 Posted by ahgunsillyo (444 posts) -

I'm not sure that anybody should really be surprised that Black Ops II didn't sell nearly as well on Wii U as it did on the other consoles considering that it came out on the other consoles before the Wii U was released, meaning that everybody who really wanted it had already bought the game on those other platforms. And given how focused on the multiplayer experience both the developers and fans of the Call of Duty franchise are, the people who buy the game were already going to be set on getting the game on the console on which they're already a part of the multiplayer ecosystem.

Let's face it: If they were already playing Call of Duty, even if they bought a Wii U, they weren't going to buy Call of Duty on the Wii U.

The point in buying a Wii U is for playing games that take advantage of the hardware and provide a unique and fun experience on it. Now, it just so happens that a lot of said games are first-party releases from Nintendo (which makes sense, really). However, games like ZombiU have shown that third-party developers can create games that accomplish such a task, but whether or not it's worth it to the makers of these kinds of games to have a best-selling game (or at least a critical hit) that sells exclusively on only one platform is a question that has been hovering over Nintendo consoles for a good long while now.

#5 Posted by Mcfart (1555 posts) -

@ahgunsillyo said:

I'm not sure that anybody should really be surprised that Black Ops II didn't sell nearly as well on Wii U as it did on the other consoles considering that it came out on the other consoles before the Wii U was released, meaning that everybody who really wanted it had already bought the game on those other platforms. And given how focused on the multiplayer experience both the developers and fans of the Call of Duty franchise are, the people who buy the game were already going to be set on getting the game on the console on which they're already a part of the multiplayer ecosystem.

Let's face it: If they were already playing Call of Duty, even if they bought a Wii U, they weren't going to buy Call of Duty on the Wii U.

The point in buying a Wii U is for playing games that take advantage of the hardware and provide a unique and fun experience on it. Now, it just so happens that a lot of said games are first-party releases from Nintendo (which makes sense, really). However, games like ZombiU have shown that third-party developers can create games that accomplish such a task, but whether or not it's worth it to the makers of these kinds of games to have a best-selling game (or at least a critical hit) that sells exclusively on only one platform is a question that has been hovering over Nintendo consoles for a good long while now.

Yup, this. 3rd parties got bitten when they budgeted for a Wii exclusive, then didn't see a return in sales. So naturally they're hesitent to make Wii U exclusives that may not sell (and they won't sell as much, since the install base is low atm)

#6 Posted by Slaegar (694 posts) -

"we were somewhat disappointed with the launch of the Wii U. We're concerned about the install base for 6-11 year-olds".

So the xbox 360 has more 6-11 year old players than the Wii U?

Actually, yeah, it probably does.

#7 Posted by The_Nubster (2053 posts) -

@Slaegar said:

"we were somewhat disappointed with the launch of the Wii U. We're concerned about the install base for 6-11 year-olds". So the xbox 360 has more 6-11 year old players than the Wii U? Actually, yeah, it probably does.

With 7 years of time on the market, there's no doubt. WiiU is too late to the current-gen, and too early for the next. It's a first-party box again.

#8 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (190 posts) -

I don't care what his opinion on the system is. I still think the Wii U is a good system, but it feels more like a current gen system than it does next gen.

#9 Posted by Video_Game_King (36071 posts) -

@DaMisterChief said:

from kotatsu

Kotaku, damn it!

#10 Posted by TooWalrus (13139 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@DaMisterChief said:

from kotatsu

Kotaku, damn it!

I actually think kotatsu is way funnier.

#11 Posted by Toxin066 (3256 posts) -

His honesty seems like a breath of fresh air.

#12 Posted by KittyVonDoom (445 posts) -

*waits for all the anti-CoD bandwagon jumpers to all buy Wii U's in an effort to spite The Kotick*

#13 Posted by evanbower (1210 posts) -

@Toxin066 said:

Yeah. Kotick talking money is the new poetry.

#15 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@DaMisterChief said:

from kotatsu

Kotaku, damn it!

Aren't kotatsu's those heated blankets that attach to tables?

#16 Posted by iAmJohn (6110 posts) -

Where are you people getting this shit about Call of Duty? Did you even read the story or even that specific quote that's right there in the OP? He's specifically talking about Skylander sales on Wii U, which makes perfect sense given that the advertising push behind Skylanders Giants has revolved primarily around selling the Wii, Wii U and 3DS versions.

#17 Posted by Wacomole (815 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@TooWalrus said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@DaMisterChief said:

from kotatsu

Kotaku, damn it!

Coverage full of hot air that you only really need once in a while? Sounds spot on.

#18 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

@MoleyUK said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@TooWalrus said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@DaMisterChief said:

from kotatsu

Kotaku, damn it!

Coverage full of hot air that you only really need once in a while? Sounds spot on.

#19 Posted by Daveyo520 (6654 posts) -
@The_Nubster

@Slaegar said:

"we were somewhat disappointed with the launch of the Wii U. We're concerned about the install base for 6-11 year-olds". So the xbox 360 has more 6-11 year old players than the Wii U? Actually, yeah, it probably does.

With 7 years of time on the market, there's no doubt. WiiU is too late to the current-gen, and too early for the next. It's a first-party box again.

It is Nintendo's Dreamcast
#20 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@DaMisterChief said:

from kotatsu

Kotaku, damn it!

Agreed. I like how this is a thing now.

#21 Posted by Mr_Antimatter (4 posts) -

If hes referring to skylanders, I think he may be spot on for now. The Wii was very popular with youngsters, even early on, but i'm not sure the Wii U is yet. It's very new, after all.

#22 Posted by Alekss (327 posts) -

@Daveyo520 said:

It is Nintendo's Dreamcast

dreamcast had good games...

#23 Posted by Daveyo520 (6654 posts) -
@Alekss And it kicked Sega out of the console market.
#24 Posted by MildMolasses (3213 posts) -

@Toxin066 said:

I know the cool kids like to get on the Kotick hate train, but if they actually consider what his job is (ie. optimizing revenue and profits, not game design) he's pretty good at what he does. As such, he's going to tell investors what's what, and that is that it probably isn't worth their (Activision) investment to pursue heavy WiiU development. I don't like that being the current state of game development, but when these companies have to answer to shareholders, that's what happens.

#25 Posted by iAmJohn (6110 posts) -

@Daveyo520 said:

If you think the Wii U and the Dreamcast are in any way comparable, you need to stop talking because you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

#26 Posted by Daveyo520 (6654 posts) -
@iAmJohn They both play video games, that is one way you can compare them. They are also both things. They are both from Japan. They exist. There are tons of ways you can compare them.
#27 Posted by jimmyfenix (3835 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@DaMisterChief said:

from kotatsu

Kotaku, damn it!

nanako wants her new kotatsu you guys

#28 Posted by Alekss (327 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

@Daveyo520 said:

If you think the Wii U and the Dreamcast are in any way comparable, you need to stop talking because you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

Dreamcast had better games

#29 Edited by iAmJohn (6110 posts) -

@Daveyo520 said:

@iAmJohn They both play video games, that is one way you can compare them. They are also both things. They are both from Japan. They exist. There are tons of ways you can compare them.

Cute, but you're ignoring the point that the situation Nintendo is in with the Wii U is in no way comparable to the situation Sega was in with the Dreamcast. The Dreamcast was a last-ditch effort to save the company that, even though the Dreamcast did well for its short lifetime, could have only succeeded if it did PS2 numbers. Nintendo is in no way in that situation, and to suggest that they are is completely disingenuous.

@Alekss said:

Dreamcast had better games

This I cannot argue with, nor will I ever be able to.

#30 Posted by GreggD (4480 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@DaMisterChief said:

from kotatsu

Kotaku, damn it!

Seiken Den Kotatsu

#31 Posted by Daveyo520 (6654 posts) -

@iAmJohn: Can it be their Saturn then?

#32 Posted by iAmJohn (6110 posts) -

@Daveyo520 said:

It's already sold more than the Saturn did tho. :(

Well, in America at least.

#33 Posted by Daveyo520 (6654 posts) -

@iAmJohn: I am sure it also does 3D graphics better.

#34 Posted by Video_Game_King (36071 posts) -

@Daveyo520 said:

Hell no. There's not as much ill will between the American and Japanese branches of Nintendo as there was for Sega.

#35 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

The WiiU will get better games in the future, but will most likely be overshadowed by the PS4 or the Xbox420 when they come out this year/early next.

#36 Posted by Daveyo520 (6654 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: And to think that Sega was founded by Americans.