Posted by BoG (5178 posts) -

25. Mega Man 2

The quintessential Mega Man title only just beats out Mega Man 9 as my favorite from the series. MM2 wins on childhood memories of plotting Flash Man's demise in kindergarten. The level design is top notch, and loves to use the simplicity of the technology to its advantage. Mega Man has tons of great weapons and gadgets to use, and the game is packed with level variety. There are hours of gameplay to be found doing speed runs and just playing around with the uber difficult levels. Mega Man 2 is a true classic that everyone ought to play.

24. Snatcher

Snatcher is a menu driven adventure game. The Sega CD classic shows images on the screen with a number of menu commands. You use the menu to investigate the scene. In addition, there is a simple gallery style gun game where enemies appear on a grid, and you are to shoot them. Pretty simple. It's also one of the most intense games I've ever played, and kept me on the edge of my seat from start to finish. The artwork is fantastic the gameplay sequences are brilliant, and the story is gripping. My heart was pounding the whole way through. It's full of some great puzzles and brain teasers, and involves you in that completely menu driven gameplay. The story is classic Kojima craziness by its closing chapter, but it's certainly a fun ride the whole way through.

23. System Shock 2

I'm sure many people out there have played Bioshock, yet not it's predecessor, System Shock 2. Essentially, Bioshock is the same thing set underwater with some new characters. A lot of people complained how similar they were. The key difference for me? System Shock 2 is just so much better. There is more depth, with a plethora of ways to customize your character. You have an inventory, creating a greater challenge than you had in Bioshock. It's not as pretty, its story isn't as tight, and it has no bees, but it is a heck of a lot more fun. Also worth noting, it's probably the scariest game I've ever played, even to this day. The visuals may be primitive, but it will still give you frights.

22. Super Metroid

This game has become a staple of "greatest games" lists, and for very good reason. Super Metroid made the "metroidvania" genre, and many consider it the best game in the genre today. Hours of gameplay lie underneath the surface of Zebes. Having been played hours of the original Metroid with my dad, seeing the sights of Zebes once again in the sequel stirred up a lot of memories when I first started this game up. There are so many areas to explore, each expertly designed. Many games of this style aren't up to the task of being successful as both platform and action games, but Super Metroid succeeds with great platforming sections, and plenty of action. And, to top it all off, the game finishes with one of the greatest final bosses of all time.

21. Braid

The newest game on my list, but not necessarily the most technologically advanced. Those of you who haven't played Braid ought to be ashamed of yourself. It's brilliant. Braid looks like a platformer, but it's actually a puzzle game. In fact, one thing I love about the game is that it's more than just a game full of puzzles, the whole thing is in itself a big puzzle. The numerous puzzles in each of the games levels are just one layer of the overall puzzle, in addition to deciphering the story, discovering the secrets within the game. I had a great time discussing the story and trying to figure out all the hidden sympbols within the game. Each of the puzzles within the level were brilliant as well. Few games grant you with the same sense of accomplishment that you get after you complete a puzzle in Braid. Every litte detail in Braid is magnificent, and that lands it on my list of all time greats.

Honorable mention: Pikmin 2

Pikmin 2 misses the top 30 because I have yet to finish it. The Pikmin franchise is perhaps the greatest the RTS genre will ever be on consoles. With tons of cool pikmin, great puzzles, and fun levels, you can't miss Pikmin 2.

Well, I'm sure at least someone has to thing I'm totally wrong by now. Stay tuned for more!

Previous posts:

#1 Edited by BoG (5178 posts) -

25. Mega Man 2

The quintessential Mega Man title only just beats out Mega Man 9 as my favorite from the series. MM2 wins on childhood memories of plotting Flash Man's demise in kindergarten. The level design is top notch, and loves to use the simplicity of the technology to its advantage. Mega Man has tons of great weapons and gadgets to use, and the game is packed with level variety. There are hours of gameplay to be found doing speed runs and just playing around with the uber difficult levels. Mega Man 2 is a true classic that everyone ought to play.

24. Snatcher

Snatcher is a menu driven adventure game. The Sega CD classic shows images on the screen with a number of menu commands. You use the menu to investigate the scene. In addition, there is a simple gallery style gun game where enemies appear on a grid, and you are to shoot them. Pretty simple. It's also one of the most intense games I've ever played, and kept me on the edge of my seat from start to finish. The artwork is fantastic the gameplay sequences are brilliant, and the story is gripping. My heart was pounding the whole way through. It's full of some great puzzles and brain teasers, and involves you in that completely menu driven gameplay. The story is classic Kojima craziness by its closing chapter, but it's certainly a fun ride the whole way through.

23. System Shock 2

I'm sure many people out there have played Bioshock, yet not it's predecessor, System Shock 2. Essentially, Bioshock is the same thing set underwater with some new characters. A lot of people complained how similar they were. The key difference for me? System Shock 2 is just so much better. There is more depth, with a plethora of ways to customize your character. You have an inventory, creating a greater challenge than you had in Bioshock. It's not as pretty, its story isn't as tight, and it has no bees, but it is a heck of a lot more fun. Also worth noting, it's probably the scariest game I've ever played, even to this day. The visuals may be primitive, but it will still give you frights.

22. Super Metroid

This game has become a staple of "greatest games" lists, and for very good reason. Super Metroid made the "metroidvania" genre, and many consider it the best game in the genre today. Hours of gameplay lie underneath the surface of Zebes. Having been played hours of the original Metroid with my dad, seeing the sights of Zebes once again in the sequel stirred up a lot of memories when I first started this game up. There are so many areas to explore, each expertly designed. Many games of this style aren't up to the task of being successful as both platform and action games, but Super Metroid succeeds with great platforming sections, and plenty of action. And, to top it all off, the game finishes with one of the greatest final bosses of all time.

21. Braid

The newest game on my list, but not necessarily the most technologically advanced. Those of you who haven't played Braid ought to be ashamed of yourself. It's brilliant. Braid looks like a platformer, but it's actually a puzzle game. In fact, one thing I love about the game is that it's more than just a game full of puzzles, the whole thing is in itself a big puzzle. The numerous puzzles in each of the games levels are just one layer of the overall puzzle, in addition to deciphering the story, discovering the secrets within the game. I had a great time discussing the story and trying to figure out all the hidden sympbols within the game. Each of the puzzles within the level were brilliant as well. Few games grant you with the same sense of accomplishment that you get after you complete a puzzle in Braid. Every litte detail in Braid is magnificent, and that lands it on my list of all time greats.

Honorable mention: Pikmin 2

Pikmin 2 misses the top 30 because I have yet to finish it. The Pikmin franchise is perhaps the greatest the RTS genre will ever be on consoles. With tons of cool pikmin, great puzzles, and fun levels, you can't miss Pikmin 2.

Well, I'm sure at least someone has to thing I'm totally wrong by now. Stay tuned for more!

Previous posts:

#2 Edited by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

Props to you for having Super Metroid on your list, though I hoped it would've been higher.

All these top 30 lists have got me thinking I'm gonna do my own now.

#3 Posted by Disgaeamad (1342 posts) -

BoG, if I don't see FFIX in the top 5, your life is forfeit.

#4 Posted by Dalai (6880 posts) -

Oh, you already mentioned Super Metroid.  Well you've lost all credibility for now.

#5 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

I'm putting a lot of thought into my top 50 (think it's going to be 50, not 30).  Just have to think a lot to remember some games I might have slipped my mind.

I was mulling over the possibility of putting some extremely niche or crappy game in my #1 slot, but I don't think I will.

No major problem with BoG's choices so far, they're within the realm of rational variation of opinion.

#6 Posted by L33tfella_H (901 posts) -
Disgaeamad said:
"BoG, if I don't see FFIX in the top 5, your life is forfeit."
the roman numeral for 6 is VI, if you get what i mean :P
#7 Posted by Claude (16251 posts) -

I would love to play System Shock 2, but it's hard to find a copy for a low price. Braid is the only game I've played on this list, maybe I should finish it. Pikmin 2 is not on your list, but I liked that game, good honorable mention.

#8 Posted by BoG (5178 posts) -
Claude said:
"I would love to play System Shock 2, but it's hard to find a copy for a low price. Braid is the only game I've played on this list, maybe I should finish it. Pikmin 2 is not on your list, but I liked that game, good honorable mention."
System Shock 2 used to be available for free on Home of the underdogs, but I guess the host went bankrupt, so the site was shut down. It's really a shame.
#9 Edited by L33tfella_H (901 posts) -

And System Shock 2 is pretty unstable on post Windows 98 Machines tbh. But there are workarounds and it's worth it.

#10 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -

DUDE ....  I still dont see Robocod 2

look here is a video about it if you cant remeber :

This has to be number 1 :3 make it so :0
#11 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -

And this should be number 2

and this number 3

oh and this number 4

As you can tell i used to play the amiga alot :3
#12 Posted by Bellum (2944 posts) -

The cool kids were busy playing Jazz Jackrabbit.

#13 Posted by NinjaSquirrel (228 posts) -

Great list so far.

#14 Posted by LuckyWanderDude (929 posts) -

Braid! Again, I have no qualms. We'll see about tomorrow though...

#15 Posted by Snipzor (3317 posts) -

Damn right you put Snatcher on this list.

#16 Posted by BoG (5178 posts) -

Lucky, tomorrow is sure to get someone riled up. I'm bound to get some bashing for my placement of Super Metroid come part 3.

#17 Posted by AndrewGaspar (2418 posts) -

I haven't played any of these. Play something interesting.

#18 Posted by Red (5991 posts) -

I need to get Pikmin some time. My old gamecube's just sittin' there and collecting dust.

#19 Posted by Futbollar (48 posts) -

Interesting choice in putting Braid so high.

#20 Posted by Ravey (328 posts) -

I guess it says a lot about Snatcher if it's just below System Shock 2, given how open SS2's gameplay is and how linear Snatcher was. I never felt like the game got in the way of the story though. It's definately less of a problem than in for example, Time Hollow.

Haven't played the other 3 games so I can't really judge, I like Megaman generally. I've been playing Megaman Legends 2 on and off for awhile, really fun game. I don't think a list with platformer games can really be complete without Earthworm Jim, Sonic or even Commander Keen though!

#21 Posted by Tireyo (6382 posts) -

Braid seems that it would be good.

#22 Posted by BoG (5178 posts) -
Ravey said:
"

I guess it says a lot about Snatcher if it's just below System Shock 2, given how open SS2's gameplay is and how linear Snatcher was. I never felt like the game got in the way of the story though. It's definately less of a problem than in for example, Time Hollow.

Haven't played the other 3 games so I can't really judge, I like Megaman generally. I've been playing Megaman Legends 2 on and off for awhile, really fun game. I don't think a list with platformer games can really be complete without Earthworm Jim, Sonic or even Commander Keen though!

"
Never played Earthworm Jim or Commander Keen, but I did put Sonic on part 1 of my list.
#23 Edited by prinny_god (327 posts) -
Snatcher? what are you 90.... wait a second I've played snatcher that makes me 90 noooooooooo dood
#24 Posted by Karmum (11509 posts) -

Great list, I figured some Mega Man game would get a nod in whatever list you comprised of. While I haven't really played any of these games in this blog post, I'm interested in to see the remaining portions of the list.

#25 Posted by Why_So_Serious (803 posts) -

Those are some very good games Bog. I really want to play System Shock 2 cause Bioshock is one of my favorites of all time. Anyways im thinking of doing a blog soon of my top 20 or 30. Keep it up I look forward to reading the other parts of this=].

#26 Posted by Bass (692 posts) -

Super Metroid easily ranks in the top ten of my all-time games, but my library doesn't stretch as far back. This is a good list so far, from what I can tell.

#27 Posted by BoG (5178 posts) -
Why_So_Serious said:
"Those are some very good games Bog. I really want to play System Shock 2 cause Bioshock is one of my favorites of all time. Anyways im thinking of doing a blog soon of my top 20 or 30. Keep it up I look forward to reading the other parts of this=]."
You need to look up SS2, it's essentially a deeper BioShock. I also anticipate your list, I'm a huge fan of what people rank in their top 10, 20, 30, 50, or whatever.
#28 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -

Excellent list, I couldn't get into SS2. It was literally TOO atmospheric for me.

I better see Deus Ex on there somewhere, BoG.

#29 Posted by PenguinDust (12414 posts) -

I loved System Shock 2.  At the time, I had tried and failed to get into Quake 2's single player and found it falling short on many levels.  I was looking for something as spooky as the Aliens vs Predator PC game but with more depth.  Something more Half-Life-like.  Then I played System Shock 2 and had the best FPS experience I ever had and would have until Halo 1.  Kudos for including it on your list!

#30 Edited by RHCPfan24 (8610 posts) -

With all of these lists I am tempted to do one myself. I have played many over the years that it would be pretty thorough and relevant.

Anyway, I think your list is the best one yet, BoG. I have never played System Shock 2 but I really need to find a way how to considering BioShock is one of my favorite games in recent memory. Mega Man 2 is sweet, as well as Super Metroid, though that would be in my Top 10. Dalai isn't happy.

Oh, and Braid is near perfect, too. I am glad to see you put it there.

#31 Posted by thebipsnbeeps (538 posts) -

I like how the list is looking, if I do say so (which I totally did). Can't complain about how you're wrong yet. I like the inclusion of Snatcher and Braid. Those games (I haven't played Snatcher, but I've read a lot about, so therefore, for that one, seems to) explode the mind :D

#32 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

Braid Fail omg

#33 Edited by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Recently a friend bought me Super Metroid on VC. While great... dude... I can't deny it, there's no way I'll be able to beat it without a guide. I'm totally lost, don't know where to go, gotta do some of that uhh... whatever it's called, where you run and build up power and then stop and charge it. I was having some difficulty with that. I was actually surprised to find that Super Metroid is basically a remake of the original. While I sure as heck never got far in the original, I beat Metroid Prime: Zero Mission a few times and enjoyed it.

Braid is no doubt a brilliant game. Probably the most impressive downloadable game I've ever played. The puzzles are incredibly well designed. It has a great visual style as well. Definitely a game I recommend for anyone who likes puzzle games.

After enjoying Bioshock so much, I would like to play System Shock 2 on day. Also, I'd like to add that Pikmin is a really great series. However, I for one preferred the original over the sequel.

#34 Posted by Dethfish (3590 posts) -

Wow, Super Metroid is #22? That would have been my #1. Now I'm interested in what your favorite is gonna be.

Good choice in Braid. That game is an instant classic.