#1 Edited by Legion_ (1270 posts) -

During the holidays, I remember there being a certain focus on the non-stop run that the Bombcast (supposedly) has. Well, I did the math. And the results were...

SHOCKING!

Stay tuned.

Well, to get down to business. Since the first Giant Bombcast (not Arrow Pointing Down) all the way back on March 11th 2008 there has been:

• 5 years
  • 60 months
  • 262 weeks

If the Bombcast never missed the mark, there should be 262 shows up. But is that the case?

There are 82 Bombcasts marked as something else than "Giant Bombcast xx-xx-xxxx", in other words, special episodes.

The Bombcast page displays 338 total hits. By taking 338 and substracting 82, we end up the magical number...

This of course means that the Giant Bombcast record run is not accurate. There has been six occurences where the Bombcast has not aired, if my math checks out. Which it does. Feel free to double check.

Consider that myth...

BUSTED

That was a hour well spent.

#2 Edited by GorillaMoPena (2053 posts) -

Where the does the Illuminati factor into this?

#3 Posted by Shaunage (700 posts) -

I expect a few of them are E3 podcasts that aired instead of the normal weekly one on the same day.

#4 Posted by Legion_ (1270 posts) -

@shaunage said:

I expect a few of them are E3 podcasts that aired instead of the normal weekly one on the same day.

Perhaps. At the best though, that would account for 4 episodes at most. There are some GDC episodes as well though, and they might have substituted it for that.

#5 Edited by Chop (1996 posts) -

What about the one that was disguised as the NDX?

#6 Edited by ez123 (1956 posts) -

Nothing is busted when you didn't even specify the weeks.

#7 Posted by Matthew (1912 posts) -

@legion_: Multiple/spin-offs - E3, PAX, GOTY, Game Specific (Metal Gear IV, Spore, etc.), GDC. Those are the exceptions I can think of off the cuff right away. One person you're going to want to fact check with is @kensterfox, who is the definitive source when it comes to all things Bombcast. There were only three episodes of Arrow Pointing Down, and I remember the first Giant Bombcast well.

#8 Edited by mlarrabee (2927 posts) -

All I know is I subscribe to the Bombcast RSS feed and I have 339 unique files in that folder, including today's.

A few quick searches revealed: 24 pre-E3 or E3 podcasts; 24 GOTY podcasts; 6 GDC podcasts; 1 relaunch PSA; 4 PAX podcasts; 1 memberships podcast; and two "microcasts" that bookend the proper June 2nd, 2009 podcast, which incidentally is the E3 Day Zero edition. The following list contains games, companies, and people that all received a single dedicated file each.

Red Alert 3, Spore, Kingdoms of Amalur, BioWare, Capcom, Eve Online, Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 3, Modern Warfare 2, The Walking Dead, Who You Gonna Call (that would be...), Ed Boon, Black Ops 2, Portal 2, Activision.

I'm crazy, but I'm not crazy enough that I'm going to go through and figure out which of the above podcasts were considered proper Tuesday releases.

#9 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -
@shaunage said:

This is your answer.

#10 Posted by Hunter5024 (5617 posts) -

I am fairly certain that I remember them saying they were going to skip a podcast on one weeks show. Maybe after TGS or something.

#11 Edited by Monkeyman04 (1073 posts) -

@shaunage said:

This is your answer.

end of thread?...End of thread.

#12 Edited by KensterFox (246 posts) -

@matthew: I've been summoned! (Neat that the system sends a message whenever you're mentioned in a comment.)

And, yes, I have the answer. NO, the Giant Bombcast has never failed to produce an episode within a Sunday-Saturday calendar week.

As far as I can tell, there has only been one Tuesday since the Giant Bombcast began on March 11, 2008, that there was no Bombcast episode, and that was October 14, 2008. However, there was an episode that week, two days earlier on Sunday, October 12th, the last Bombcast from Toyko on their trip for TGS 2008.

(Also, I should really look to see if I have messages more often.)

#13 Edited by casper_ (903 posts) -

bombcast faked the moon landing

#14 Posted by Hunter5024 (5617 posts) -

Called it!

#15 Edited by Bollard (5441 posts) -

@matthew: I've been summoned! (Neat that the system sends a message whenever you're mentioned in a comment.)

And, yes, I have the answer. NO, the Giant Bombcast has never failed to produce an episode within a Sunday-Saturday calendar week.

As far as I can tell, there has only been one Tuesday since the Giant Bombcast began on March 11, 2008, that there was no Bombcast episode, and that was October 14, 2008. However, there was an episode that week, two days earlier on Sunday, October 12th, the last Bombcast from Toyko on their trip for TGS 2008.

(Also, I should really look to see if I have messages more often.)

Thank you for clearing that up.

#16 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

@casper_ said:

bombcast faked the moon landing

Giantbomb wants you to be sick, man.

#17 Posted by Akyho (1599 posts) -

There are a certain amount of format fudging for legit bombcasts.Mainly when Jeff is in the seat he finds some new way to format the title instead of Bombcast 26/03/2013 it was 26-03-2013 and then Ryan the next week fudged with 26.03.2013.

This throws it out of whack from the norm.

Hell Jeff in the past has done. giantbombcast26032013

So you cant account every none universal title to be a none Bombcast using that format.

However yeah I wouldn't say they haven't missed a Bombcast. Endurance run on the other hand! They freaking ran that thing on a Generator to keep it going!!!

#18 Posted by Fattony12000 (7304 posts) -