#101 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1258 posts) -

That Fez is a good game. I disagree with this statement so much.

#102 Posted by Mayu_Zane (621 posts) -

I do not agree with Jeff's belief that Syndicate is a game worth playing. I bought it, played it for two hours and got bored.

#103 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Jeffs hate for Red Dead Redemption.

#104 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@Mayu_Zane said:

I do not agree with Jeff's belief that Syndicate is a game worth playing. I bought it, played it for two hours and got bored.

Yeah I rented it, no way that should of had the 5 star badge.

#105 Posted by fuzzybunny566 (453 posts) -

...that inverted controls are for weirdos. To quote GB"s own page on inverted controls, I am a player who "link(s) the movement of the stick with the back of the head of the character they're playing." I've always done that, whether on console or PC. It just makes so much sense to me, that you hold down (back) on the stick to look up. I'm not even talking about flight, just normal character movement, like in Halo. I cannot even fathom doing it the other way, but the crew (I think aside from Vinny) seem to think it's crazy or insane. Whatever, it works perfectly for me and I don't care how other people set their controls.

#106 Edited by EpicSteve (6499 posts) -

Patrick trying his hardest to agree with what he believes is the majority. I get that if there's a majority opinion on something, there's typically a reason for it. I find myself usually having pretty safe opinions on stuff. However, the way he presents his case on a lot of subjects makes him come across as desperate to show his liberal progressive attitude and/or a sense of belonging to a majority group. One example of his progressive attitude is bringing up The Walking Dead game having a black protagonist like it's a big deal. I'm all for equal representation, but it isn't the 50's. We don't live in a society were a black protagonist is a crazy idea.

#107 Posted by Vod_Crack (753 posts) -

@Anund said:

The second was the way they dismissed Mafia II because it was not a GTA clone. Still bothers me. Admittedly it seems almost everyone did the same thing. I really liked that game for what it was.

Mafia II is a very underrated game. No idea why people didn't like that one.

#108 Edited by gogosox82 (424 posts) -

I guess i don't vehemently disagree with anything any of them have said. But i don't understand Jeff's love for syndicate. I played it and it was ok. I mean the shooting was good and it was fun to use the powers but it's nothing great. Maybe he just really likes the multiplayer? But again its nothing that special. I'd much rather play ME3's multiplayer than syndicates tbh. But whatever different stokes and such.

Edit: I really don't understand the crew's hatred for stealth particularly Patrick. Its not a bad mechanic and works perfectly fine if you understand how the mechanic works. Maybe its just b/c other games that aren't stealth specific implement stealth poorly and that gives them a bad impression. I don't know i just think its odd to say a mechanic is bad when it clearly isn't.

#109 Posted by Vod_Crack (753 posts) -

I really had a hard time listening to the guys bashing Max Payne 3. That game is stellar.

#110 Posted by JaredA (832 posts) -

I don't agree with their hate on Popeye's!

#111 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

Catherine is an okay game.

#112 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@Vod_Crack said:

@Anund said:

The second was the way they dismissed Mafia II because it was not a GTA clone. Still bothers me. Admittedly it seems almost everyone did the same thing. I really liked that game for what it was.

Mafia 2 had a really great story and it did things with the open world that I hadn't seen before, seasons. Seeing the city during winter time where everyone was wearing winter clothes and you had "Let it snow" on the radio was awesome. Sure it didn't have a load of silly side missions, but it wouldn't of made sense in the game. It told a very focused story and was set in a very believable time.

#113 Posted by Vod_Crack (753 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Vod_Crack said:

@Anund said:

Mafia 2 had a really great story and it did things with the open world that I hadn't seen before, seasons. Seeing the city during winter time where everyone was wearing winter clothes and you had "Let it snow" on the radio was awesome. Sure it didn't have a load of silly side missions, but it wouldn't of made sense in the game. It told a very focused story and was set in a very believable time.

Exactly! I thought the gameplay was pretty good too!

#114 Posted by President_Barackbar (3474 posts) -

@EpicSteve said:

Patrick trying his hardest to agree with what he believes is the majority. I get that if there's a majority opinion on something, there's typically a reason for it. I find myself usually having pretty safe opinions on stuff. However, the way he presents his case on a lot of subjects makes him come across as desperate to show his liberal progressive attitude and/or a sense of belonging to a majority group. One example of his progressive attitude is bringing up The Walking Dead game having a black protagonist like it's a big deal. I'm all for equal representation, but it isn't the 50's. We don't live in a society were a black protagonist is a crazy idea.

I have that problem with a lot of video game journalists. Remember when every journalist out there was praising BioWare for having same sex relationships in their RPG's? I'd like to think we are at a point nowadays where that isn't a huge deal.

#115 Posted by Clonedzero (4196 posts) -

i disagree with them on a regular basis.

i thought the entire GOTY discussion was the worst in years. well ever in GB history. it wasn't objective at all. it was purely personal, which i understand to a degree. but i sorta expect them to balance an objective view with a personal opinion. this year it was personal opinion all the way. like the way they COMPLETELY dismissed any competitive multiplayer games for "best multiplayer" and only included co-op games means they shouldn't even do that category if they're not going to actually do the damn category.

giantbomb should honestly give up the actual objective reviewing and journalism thing. the site is based on their personal opinions and preferences. whenever they pretend to be objective it just falls the fuck apart imo.

#116 Edited by SoldierG654342 (1822 posts) -

The only thing that really irks me about the Crew is their wanton use of "broken" or "busted." Often times they call a game broken or the mechanics busted when what they really mean are "poor" or "bad." Calling a game broken implies that it is inoperable, or that it doesn't work as intended. That is not the same thing as bad.

The most recent example is their discussion of stealth games. They don't like 3D stealth, but that doesn't mean the games are broken.

#117 Posted by GJSmitty (651 posts) -

The android thing is the only one that really bothers me at all. Android has improved a huge amount in the past few years.

I don't disagree with it, since I have yet to play it, but I really cannot believe that ZombiU is a good game, not to mention one of the best games of the year. It just ... shouldn't be.

#118 Posted by CatMeat (46 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior: Bully also had seasons, and they were pretty integral to the progression of the story. Is Mafia II the same way? If so I might have to look into getting the game, should be beyond cheap at this point.

#119 Posted by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

Stealth games are awesome. Any game that gives me a stealthy option, I take it. Any RPG that let's me pick a class, I'm picking the Rogue-est one. MGS is great. Old splinter cell games we're pretty good and way better than the new stuff. Even if I we're playing something like CoD I would go for the quietest/radar jammingest loadout. Dick-ass thief in every game. Backstabbackstabbackstab.com

#120 Posted by PandaBear (1384 posts) -

@notdavid said:

Jeff's respect for GTA4 and distaste for Red Dead goes beyond the realm of opinion. It's literally wrong. GTA4 is an unplayable mess in comparison.

Well that escalated quickly. I love RDR more than GTAIV ... but unplayable mess? I seriously disagree.

Other things I disagree about ::

• Brad saying Far Cry 3 runs like dog shit on consoles and shouldn't have been released on them ... this isn't an opinion, it's a lie. The game runs fine.
  • As mentioned before, Jeff's love of GTA IV and hatred of RDR is odd, but hey that's his opinion
  • The love of Saints Row The Third ... that game (in my opinion) was so fucking boring. Every mission felt like a tutorial ... and that moment with Kanye West's Power plays during the break-in wasn't that great really. The illusion was broken pretty easily. I dunno, the whole game was boring to me
  • The lack of anyone investing time in multiplayer shooters is annoying ... I mean I play Battlefield 3 and love the shit out of it, but I spent the first 40 hours getting my ass handed to me by better players. So what? I mean the guys can't be forced into playing these games, but they're dismissed as "it's for the hardcore kids that play it 30 hours a week and get headshots across the map". I think that's just plain wrong... there's a ton of new players playing and having a good time.
  • Sonic CD is not the best Sonic. The music is among the best, probably tied with Sonic 3 in that regard. The level design is appalling though. I think the guys like the music and the graphics but the actual game is deeply flawed. The flow is broken so easily by dead ends and unintuitive layouts. It's not a terrible game, but I question if theses guys have played and finished it. Meanwhile Sonic 3 is shit on because of it's graphics (which are actually better than the gritty title screen suggests) and the level flow so well. You never hit a point where you have to go backwards and moving from one stage to the next is seamless. Big rant I know ... but fuck, Sonic 3 is a good game (and Generations was pretty great too IMHO).
  • SEGA was a failure according to these guys ... they talk about their old consoles like they were completely niche and used by hardly anyone. Look outside of America. SEGA was a big in a lot of other regions. True, SEGA is a shell of it's former self, but give them credit for the early to mid-90s at least.
  • Syndicate is a good game. Not great. The multiplayer is good. Not great. That's just my opinion. The world of Syndicate however was excellent and I wish it got a sequel.
  • <INSERT BAD GAME HERE WITH FUNNY HIP-HOP REFERENCE> is not worth playing. Games cost money... and not all of us work with video game journalists who get some games for free or buy others and lend them to their co-workers. Most of us buy all our games and saying a game is worth playing because it's "batshit crazy!!!" can be annoying.
  • You may not like Final Fantasy, and I think it's kinda shit in a lot of ways now, but people do like it. People like FF7 and are still decent people (yeah make a joke). FFX is an excellent game too. I dunno ... just a lot of general FF hate.
  • The entire mainline Metal Gear Solid series are good games. That's my opinion (in fact I'd say they are outstanding games) and one not reflected by the guys... Jeff's hatred of MGS1 is odd and annoyance at the over the top story seems strange considering the other shit they like.
  • Resident Evil 5 is an excellent game. They may not agree, but I seriously doubt any of them aside from Vinny and Brad (ie haters Jeff and Patrick) have played it for more than an hour.

That's all I got. AND FOR THE RECORD I'm a proud Yearly Supporter and that won't change anytime soon. Giant Bomb is the best video game site around ... I just happen to disagree with the guys sometimes. Except for Vinny ... he's usually on the money. And he's the best. End of.

#121 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6403 posts) -

Jeff's love of Syndicate, their general distaste of Max Payne 3, their unabashed love of The Walking Dead, the LA Noire love, exaggerated opinions (Twisted Metal being dogshit is a recent example of this, but forgivable since Patrick immediately backpedalled), and sudden turn of opinions that they backpedal on once another crew member challenges them (a most recent example is the discussion of Mass Effect 3's multiplayer component being just another horde mode and the gunplay/powers not being great by Jeff, which felt like he was saying whatever he had to to win the argument. Either that or his review was bullshit, which would be worse.).

#122 Posted by Bubbly (258 posts) -

I disagree with a bunch of stuff they say (everyone is different of course and has their own opinions, that's just the way of things), but I have never vehemently disagreed with something they have said. With that out of the way, the most recent of their opinions that I have disagreed with is ZombieU and Syndicate. I've played them both and thought they were extremely boring. The lack of variety in melee combat makes ZombieU an absolute chore to get through and while Syndicate had some style with its presentation and powers, I still found it to be a mediocre and boring shooter.

#123 Posted by BaneFireLord (2958 posts) -

I disagree with the majority of Jeff's non-gaming tastes, and a fair few gaming ones too (toss my hat in the ring for being baffled by his RedDead hatred). I also find some of Patrick's opinions and stances to be over the top or overreactive (like how he immediately jumped onto the fact that the robot hooker was wearing allegedly misogynistic clothing in the Cyberpunk trailer on today's TNT and then gave no other opinions about the trailer). But if all the guys' tastes were in line with mine, I probably wouldn't find this site as entertaining as I do, so I'm not complaining.

#124 Posted by Vod_Crack (753 posts) -

@NoobSauceG7 said:

That Fez is a good game. I disagree with this statement so much.

I agree. That game is utter bollocks.

#125 Posted by Skyrider (383 posts) -

I remember Jeff saying that Dark Souls is a bad game (in a GOTY podcast, if I recall correctly), so yeah, I disagree with that. Also, like others have said, the whole RDR thing.

#126 Posted by aurahack (2291 posts) -

That Fez is a better game than Journey.

I'm all for opinions but what fucking drugs were they overdosing on when they collectively decided that.

#127 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4702 posts) -

@aurahack said:

That Fez is a better game than Journey.

I'm all for opinions but what fucking drugs were they overdosing on when they collectively decided that.

Jeff sneaky drugs. When he seen the way the list was written after all ten were decided he noticed that his favorites were high up on there. So he read it out and asked if people had an issue with the way it was. Seeing how Patrick and Vinny and Brad had their games already in there they felt as if their fight was won. Ryan I don't think cared either way and Alex was going for the walking Dead instead on placing Journey on there.

Plus they did not care about the numbering much past the top 3. So nothing to get worked up over, although I agree with you in preferring Journey.

#128 Posted by stringbacon (89 posts) -

I think Assassin's Creed III is pretty good. II and Brotherhood were better, sure, but the fundamentals of running around and stabbing guys are still really fun.

#129 Posted by HerbieBug (4208 posts) -

I don't think Frog Fractions is particularly special nor is it the first game to break off into unexpected new tangent in that way.

Bastion is a pretty good game but let's not get carried away. Some of the guys talk about that game with near religious fervor.

I find Brad's boosterism of games he enjoys and ears plugged naysaying of games he doesn't to be irritating. When Brad picks a game he likes, he seems to be totally unwilling to speak of any flaw that might make it any less than perfect.

#130 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2699 posts) -

Their general dismissal of Left 4 Dead 2 is hugely disappointing.

Also the fact that they played Dead Rising 2 and Saints Row 3 in singleplayer was grating to listen to.

#131 Edited by Pr1mus (3952 posts) -

Jeff not liking Red Dead Redemption is just puzzling.

Puzzling since i've never heard him say he doesn't like westerns or horseback riding. Now if that's the case of course he doesn't like RDR but otherwise i just don't get how someone can like GTA 4 and not RDR. Maybe not like it has much but going from making one GOTY to hating the other is quite the stretch.

#132 Posted by Demoskinos (15180 posts) -

@Pr1mus said:

All of what Patrick says all the time.

This. I went back and was watching the Yakuza Dead Souls Quick Look and here is Patrick in the drivers seat openly telling brad he has never played any of the games yet proceeds to try to explain what the franchise is to Brad in horrible fashion.

#133 Posted by RetroVirus (1492 posts) -

I just started playing Red Dead, and while I think it is an absolutely amazing achievement in atmosphere, character dialogue, hogtying outlaws, the best game of 2010 is still Mass Effect 2. I do ever so like the writing for Nigel West Dickinson, though.

#134 Posted by troll93 (388 posts) -

@ArtisanBreads said:

I don't agree with Jeff saying Red Dead is bad. Funny because he likes GTA IV so much. Listen to the GOTY when he picked GTA IV so hard, really funny. I guess he hates westerns that much.

Red Dead is my favorite game of the gen hands down so I'm with Brad.

@Anund said:

Two things. The first is when they criticize PSN for hiding anything behind a paywall while accepting that Live hides freakin' multiplayer behind one. Admittedly they have gotten better about this.

Oh no! I just realised that I hate the bomb crew! You people broke the internet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#135 Posted by SeanFoster (889 posts) -

Jeff & Red Dead.

#136 Posted by Joey_Connell (56 posts) -

The amount of shit they talk about all modern Final Fantasy games and jrpg's in general. Except for Brad playing FF 13 none of them have gone near them. I have no problem with anyone disliking a game franchise or an entire genre but they really lack knowledge and alot of what they say is infuriating to me when it seems based on pre conceived notions of a genre they don't play. Also while i'm ranting Saints Row 3 is good but not worth all the praise they gave it. It did a good job of building on the solid framework set by SR 2 and nothing much else.

P.S Although i finished red dead i thought it was pretty shit, lacking in variety and way longer then it needed to be. (a problem with all rockstar games) RANT OVER

#137 Posted by Turambar (6898 posts) -

They like first person shooters. I think first person shooters are shit. That's about the only one. Most differences in opinions are only with specific staff members with another staff representing my side just fine.

#138 Posted by DeShawn2ks (1058 posts) -

@liquiddragon: Jeffs views about Red Dead even though he loved GTA IV. I think Red Dead was a much better game than GTA IV in every way. I really hated when Minerva's Den beat out Undead Nightmare for best piece of DLC. I mean come on Undead Nightmare had a cool what if zombie story, changed the way the world looked in dramatic ways, new game play elements, forced you to play differently, all new side quest, six hour campaign, added in new multiplayer stuff and it was all only 10 bucks. I don't care how good Minerva's Den story was you can't beat Undead Nightmare. I also found myself getting real frustrated with Brad when he said Far Cry on consoles plays like shit. I got it for the 360 and the game ran just fine for me.

#139 Posted by JesterPC238 (345 posts) -
@Daiphyer that's completely fair as far as Mass Effect is concerned, though given the magnitude of that game I still feel that breaking it out into a spoiler cast might have been prudent. A bigger example of this problem is Ryan dropping spoilers about AC3 the week it came out. I felt like I had to hide from the site for a couple weeksfor fear of the game getting ruined.

I'm not looking to argue though, it's something I don't like, but it's not like it prohibits my enjoyment of the site in general.
#140 Posted by DeShawn2ks (1058 posts) -

@Vod_Crack said:

I really had a hard time listening to the guys bashing Max Payne 3. That game is stellar.

Oh hell yeah thanks for reminding me that pissed me off too. I remember them complaining about how when Max did his dive it took too long for him to get up for them. I was thinking "why didn't they just shoot the guys shooting at them while Max was laying down you can do that". If I remember right he can do that in all directions too while laying down. I hate it when someone complains about something in a game but there is no mention of the mechanic in said game that can counters that argument.

#141 Posted by DeShawn2ks (1058 posts) -

@President_Barackbar said:

@EpicSteve said:

I have that problem with a lot of video game journalists. Remember when every journalist out there was praising BioWare for having same sex relationships in their RPG's? I'd like to think we are at a point nowadays where that isn't a huge deal.

It is a big deal to me actually. There aren't many games out there that have a good black protagonist. I find it funny about the Bioware stuff though because I do remember them praising that stuff but now it seems quite a few of them shit on the same thing they used to praise.

#142 Posted by spankingaddict (2740 posts) -

All of Ryan Davis opinions ...

#143 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4500 posts) -

Like so many other people have said, the red dead thing.

and lol at people being butthurt about their android opinions. Most of their criticisms are not that crazy and I have a Galaxy Nexus. They tend to be hyperbolic on it and I wouldn't be surprised if it was just to make the whiners complain even more, but I will admit that Android has come a long way...not enough though that I can't wait to switch back to iOS.

#144 Posted by Snail (8662 posts) -

@ArtisanBreads said:

@BisonHero said:

I strongly disagree with Patrick giving away some of the best moments of Shut Up & Jam Gaiden instead of saying like, one particular joke or story detail and leaving it at that. For a podcast that so vehemently kept saying "You should play Saints Row The Third", he sure leaped into demotivating any of them to ever play it.

This part of the Bombcast also annoyed me because after a while it was what is the point? You are just saying everything that happens and no one else has anything to say in response. It was weird.

Patrick does that a lot, apparently. I had what allegedly is one of the toughest moments in The Walking Dead spoiled by Patrick, for no good reason other than the fact that he wanted to say it. Also the way he said it was pretty bizarre, the ease with which he said those few disturbing words. No one even replied, he was just ignored, and it made me really angry.

#145 Posted by s10129107 (1213 posts) -

Dark Souls / Demon Souls isn't worth any attention / is a bad game. They didn't even give it a chance.

#146 Posted by Elwoodan (872 posts) -

Jeff calling Sleeping Dogs "just another crime game" and touting the awesomeness of Syndicate at the same time. after playing both (I went out and bought Syndicate just to check out his hype), Sleeping Dogs changes it's crime-sandbox-base as much, if not more, than Syndicate does its FPS-with-powers base, a mind-control power (irregardless of how FUCKIN AWESOME it is) does not make an entire game.

#147 Posted by ripelivejam (4908 posts) -

some of the extreme opinions do irk me but they can be pretty entertaining in a exaggerated cartoony sense. jeff, bless his heart, is definitely guilty of this, more so than patrick. i would rather they all be passionate about what they love/hate, even if it is a bit excessive. brad can be a little stubborn maybe, like in his refusal to finish certain games (but i procrastinate like hell so im not one to talk :D ) vinny DOES seem the most deferential, probably part of why everyone generally likes him. :)

#148 Posted by blackichigo (176 posts) -

@s10129107 said:

Dark Souls / Demon Souls isn't worth any attention / is a bad game. They didn't even give it a chance.

If I remember correctly, Vinny played and maybe beat them both. Let's be honest. For as awesome as the "Souls" games are, they are not for everyone.

#149 Posted by Legion_ (1556 posts) -

I really hate when Jeff says Red Dead is bad.

I really hate when everyone but Brad and Vinny hate Mass Effect 3. It's a good game damn it!

Their hate for Assassin's Creed 3 continues to baffle me.

I disagree with almost everything Patrick says.

#150 Posted by Aetheldod (3737 posts) -

Jeff´s dislike of Half Life 2 pacing .... I think they are crazy to sugest so , or the entire crew´s like of LA Noir .... but that just happens