#151 Posted by TheCrimsonKing (31 posts) -

Patrick's continued insistence that all stealth games are intrinsically bad (except for Mark of the Ninja). Yes, they have learning curves, just like every game, and those curves are often steeper than average for stealth games, but no decent stealth game relies on trial and error to solve every situation in the entire game. If the player is relying on trial and error throughout the entire game, then they are not thinking ahead or being patient at all.

Jeff's hate of Red Dead Redemption and Dark Souls, despite having played very little of either game. He insists up and down that those are both definitively bad games, despite having only played Dark Souls for half an hour and Red Dead for not more than that. It isn't that he holds those opinions that is annoying ( I would still disagree), it is that he presents it as the truth rather than an opinion based on very little experience with the game. There's a large difference between saying, "It didn't appeal to me early on and I don't want to go back to it. It just isn't for me." and saying "It's a bad game." As someone who is a veteran in the field of game reviewing, I would think that he should be able to tell the difference between first impressions and a full review and temper his opinions as such.

#152 Posted by Giantstalker (1445 posts) -

That Fez, Journey, or Frog Fractions are good games.

#153 Edited by Willtron (238 posts) -

I most definitely do not vehemently disagree with anything, but I'll +1 the confusion over Android hate. I also get why the majority of the guys didn't get into Dark Souls, but I wish it was given a bit more of a fair shake by everyone. I think the one thing that has bugged me the most, most recently, is Brad on Farcry 3--which everyone then piled on about. I'm glad Patrick was a console defender. Obviously the current-gen consoles are nearly decrepit. Obviously the PC version of FarCry 3 is the superior version. But the console version most definitely is not 'unplayable'. Granted I'm not all the way through the game yet, but I've put a good six or seven hours into it on 360 and it hasn't dipped in frames once. Yeah, there's a weird black shadow around character models, but the game looks god-damned amazing on consoles--again, not like the PC, but pretty damned good. And it's totally playable. I think Brad, more so than anyone, can get a bit 'THIS IS MY OPINION, LALALALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU' about things. Everyone has their moments, like Jeff with RDR, but Brad's outburst on FarCry 3 and his argument for Skyrim last year come to mind right away.

And disagreed about the Patrick hate. I honestly can name the number of games with black protagonists on maybe one hand. It's kind of a huge deal. Same with the whole #1reasonwhy thing.

#154 Posted by MiniPato (2657 posts) -

Patrick has a tendency to hyperbolize sequel games he didn't like as much as the previous one as "fucking terrible" and "absolute dog shit" when they really weren't that bad. Like Jet Set Radio Future, Silent Hill: The Room, Twisted Metal. Luckily, sometimes Ryan and Jeff call him out on that if they are games they played. Jeff hyperbolizes too, but almost always in a half joking manner and eventually gives reasons for why he thinks a game is terrible. Oftentimes when Patrick calls a game "fucking terrible" and "dog shit" he doesn't list supporting reasons, which kinda makes it seem like he's just regurgitating whatever the general consensus of the internet is.

However, to his credit, he also argues for games and genres that I like that most of the bombcrew would never give the time of day.

Also Jeff has a tendency to hate something just because its popular or because people love it and praise it a lot. Videogames or not.

If you want a specific opinion I disagree with, then I disagree of their love for MGS4 outside of its craziness. MGS4 is arguably the worst game in the numbered series and that ending was not good. Contrary to what Brad said, tons of fanservice is not a good thing cause then it just feels like fanservice instead of writing.

#155 Posted by Rebel_Scum (563 posts) -

Whenever they have a retro QL or updated retro game and they show no interest in it.

#156 Posted by Anund (849 posts) -

@Ares42 said:

Anytime they're pandering to try to seperate themselves from crazy people on the the internet. There was just so many episodes last year of them trying to be "reasonable" about things and taking it too far the other direction. Like crappy DLC, which they have always downplayed yet they named it the worst thing in the industry last year, or the entire violent videogames thing during E3 yet we hear them relishing the violence in QLs like todays Anarchy Reigns.

Oh yeah, this. I couldn't agree more.

#157 Posted by Aterons (198 posts) -

Disagree with their love for The walking dead and their non-love for dishonored, but in general their opinions are fine-ish, at least on the podcasts.. not a big fan of quick looks so i can't speak about those.

#158 Posted by Anund (849 posts) -

@CatMeat said:

@Bourbon_Warrior: Bully also had seasons, and they were pretty integral to the progression of the story. Is Mafia II the same way? If so I might have to look into getting the game, should be beyond cheap at this point.

You should buy Mafia II. It's an excellent game. No, it's not an open world sandbox. It's a regular action game with a solid story where you happen to get in your car and drive between missions. To me this adds to the game, it doesn't detract from it.

#159 Edited by KaneRobot (1267 posts) -

iPhone love. Fuck the fucking shitty iPhone. FUCK.

FUCK!!!!!

Android, goddammit. Now and for the forseeable future.

#160 Posted by probablytuna (3445 posts) -

Most recently it's how Patrick, Jeff and I think Brad all said that there hasn't been a good stealth game since Dishonored and Mark of the Ninja came out last year. What a pile of nonsense!

#161 Posted by StarvingGamer (7567 posts) -

Anyone saying that GTA or RDR are good games.

#162 Posted by Shortbreadtom (513 posts) -

I disagree with many things, but more importantly: can someone explain to me what Android is? I don't get it at all. It's a type of phone, but it's also a console... thing?

#163 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

@KaneRobot said:

iPhone love. Fuck the fucking shitty iPhone. FUCK.

FUCK!!!!!

Android, goddammit. Now and for the forseeable future.

why is the iphone so shitty for games and why is andriod so amazing.

or are you just one of these everything is amazing or shitty and its not possible to like 2 things types

#164 Posted by Christoffer (1654 posts) -

I think they're getting a bit hyperbole about these small flash/iphone games. But it might be because I'm getting more into the delayed gratification of deeper and more complex games and the GB staff seem to walk in the other direction. Qwop and Frog Fractions are barely worth the lift of an eyebrow, in my opinion.

#165 Edited by Cold_Wolven (2167 posts) -

@ThePickle said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Cold_Wolven said:

I disagree with Jeff's opinion on Red Dead Redemption as well as Metal Gear Solid. Also Brad's strong feelings for L.A. Noire.

Oh man I forgot about Metal Gear. The Metal Gear one is more maddening than the Red Dead one because at least with Red Dead he can say he hates westerns,

If it were that simple, I could get it. It would be incredibly petty, but I could understand it. But he has problems with the game's "mechanics." Apparently he hated how the game played way better than GTA IV.

Yeah he kept talking about the mechanics of RDR which I think he's crazy as the game plays brilliantly.

#166 Posted by Lyisa (260 posts) -

My disagreements with them tend to be small, but I don't really get the Frog Fractions thing. It felt out of the blue, and after playing it was entertained, but nowhere near approaching one of the best gaming experiences I've had in the past year.

The dark souls thing seems understandable. Somebody coming from the position of disliking monster hunter isn't likely to approach a souls game with any favor.

#167 Posted by bemusedchunk (582 posts) -

They hate on Subway too much.

#168 Edited by Anund (849 posts) -

@Lyisa said:

My disagreements with them tend to be small, but I don't really get the Frog Fractions thing. It felt out of the blue, and after playing it was entertained, but nowhere near approaching one of the best gaming experiences I've had in the past year.

The dark souls thing seems understandable. Somebody coming from the position of disliking monster hunter isn't likely to approach a souls game with any favor.

Oh I don't know. I haven't tried monster hunter but it looks completely uninteresting to me. I have no interest in those games at all. I love the Souls games though.

#169 Posted by lemonadesweetheart (8 posts) -

@EpicSteve said:

Patrick trying his hardest to agree with what he believes is the majority. I get that if there's a majority opinion on something, there's typically a reason for it. I find myself usually having pretty safe opinions on stuff. However, the way he presents his case on a lot of subjects makes him come across as desperate to show his liberal progressive attitude and/or a sense of belonging to a majority group. One example of his progressive attitude is bringing up The Walking Dead game having a black protagonist like it's a big deal. I'm all for equal representation, but it isn't the 50's. We don't live in a society were a black protagonist is a crazy idea.

Apparently it is a crazy idea, because I can hardly think of even a handful of games with black leads.

#170 Edited by Venatio (4485 posts) -
@Legion_ said:

I really hate when Jeff says Red Dead is bad.

I really hate when everyone but Brad and Vinny hate Mass Effect 3. It's a good game damn it!

Their hate for Assassin's Creed 3 continues to baffle me.

I disagree with almost everything Patrick says.

This pretty much, and with Vinny that Flower is terrible. And with pretty much all their GOTY decisions.

Playing Assassins Creed 3 right now, it's an amazing game, full of bugs on PS3 but still great
#171 Edited by Ursus_Veritas (383 posts) -

I also don't really get their dislike of MMOs, where it's to the point that basically the phrase 'It's an MMO' has become shorthand for 'this is an awful, terrible game!' - I recently re-listened to the bombcast with Jeff's initial thoughts on Guild Wars 2, for example, and all he could say about his dislike for it was 'this is an MMO!', rather than offer something that actually constitutes for an arguement to support his dislike of it (I never watched the Quick Look for it, so maybe he made a better arguement there, I don't know).

I don't 'vehemently' disagree with them or hate them for it - MMOs certainly aren't for everyone - but it's a shame I have to go elsewhere to get MMO-related news and content. I'd love to see more MMO content on GB - maybe any potential hiring in the future could be someone who could provide that angle, who knows.

#172 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@CatMeat said:

@Bourbon_Warrior: Bully also had seasons, and they were pretty integral to the progression of the story. Is Mafia II the same way? If so I might have to look into getting the game, should be beyond cheap at this point.

Yeah your right, I forgot Bully.

#173 Posted by kingofpeanuts (478 posts) -

Red dead was boring and pretty bad in my opinion. I agree with Jeff, disagree with Brad.

#174 Posted by BallsDeep (29 posts) -

Mostly what Patrick has to say. Also fuck the bears. GO PACK GO!

#175 Posted by Scarlet_Rogue (496 posts) -

Its usually Patrick. But usually everyone on staff else has an opinion of something I disagree with...except Vinny. That guy just gets me.

#176 Posted by Inkerman (1448 posts) -

I felt the guys really didn't give Minecraft it's due. But I don't agree with the guys on most things, so that's that.

#177 Posted by Will_M (342 posts) -

Really, thread? Red dead, iphones and trick hate? Lets get real: I didnt think SAINTS ROW THE THIRD was all that great. Fun moments but the overall experience was pretty standard shoot this and that. If i could go back in time, i'd tell myself not to buy it (and the winning lottery numbers).

#178 Posted by BaconBuTTy (168 posts) -

just to keep things interesting, I'd like to posit an opinion;

Jeff's hatred for Red Dead is certainly strange in some ways. But some of his criticisms of that game are also ..... accurate...

He said the gameplay mechanics feel like they "fell out of a PS2" - And honestly, he's kinda right.

I love Red Dead for its detailed and beautiful recreation of the spagetti western setting, the storyline, the voice acting and direction, the graphics, and most of all the atmosphere.

But when you really put the gameplay itself under scrutiny, I genuinely feel like it is lacking. The way it handles weapons and equipment feels bloated and antiquated - too many things are menu driven. And when you're atually out and about, there isn't really very much there. I understand it's the desert - it's the wild west! But those huge tracts of open desert aren't nearly large enough to pose a threat in terms of making sure you're supplied enough to last the trip or make the game world feel real (The map is actually pretty small in this respect) - All it is really, is massive, pretty looking and EMPTY areas between towns and missions for you to ride through. With some repeatative random quests strewn around as a (very) brief distraction.

I love RDR, I do. But Jeff isn't completely wrong on this one.

The comparison between RDR and GTAIV doesn't really work either.

#179 Posted by Canteu (2814 posts) -

I disagree with Ryan's opinion that Chromehounds is not the best game of the generation.

Yes, I am that crazy person he talked about.

I do exist.

#180 Posted by BatOtaku13 (144 posts) -

besides Jeff and Red Dead, the only thing that comes to mind is when they were doing the GOTY podcasts and their collective disappointment in Assassin's Creed III. it's a fantastic game, and i just think they were really quick to dismiss it. and i'll admit it, i really liked the ending.

#181 Posted by Trilogy (2570 posts) -

Well, I was going to come in here and say how red dead wrong Jeff is about red dead. But you mother fuckers beat me to it. By a landslide.

@GunstarRed said:

... Jeff has has said some crazy things about a lot of games.

This is so true.

#182 Posted by Fearbeard (801 posts) -

Pretty much anything Jeff says.

He can make some good critical points about games, but I rarely ever agree with his opinions about games.

#183 Posted by Extreme_Popcorn (842 posts) -

I disagree that The Walking Dead was the 2nd best game of last year or even in the top 10 games of last year.

Yes it was an excellent story, but a story with a very very average ending and as a game it was very poor. The only game play elements were average, the shooting was awful and the technical problems that were consistent from episode to episode were cast aside as no big deal.

#184 Posted by JasonLeeson (201 posts) -

The GB dismissive reaction to the GTA V trailer 2. How they picked apart every joke saying it was dumb.

I was like, c'mon guys lighten the fuck up.

#185 Posted by JasonLeeson (201 posts) -

@Vod_Crack said:

I really had a hard time listening to the guys bashing Max Payne 3. That game is stellar.

Fuck. Yes.

#186 Posted by mikey87144 (1489 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

I get really ticked off when they shit all over Android, it's clear that none of them have spent a reasonable amount of time with one in years.

This. It's an Apple fan fest born out of ignorance. I'm surprised at Brad though for not at least acknowledging that he used a Nexus 7 for a while and liked it.

#187 Posted by groverat (122 posts) -

I don't think Jeff's controversial takes are hard to follow. He likes tight gameplay. GTA IV's gameplay is bizarre and dumb. I quit for a long time after that first ridiculous fight on the basketball court, because there was nothing at all the least bit intuitive about any of it. I never even picked up RDR because it was billed as GTA IV's mechanics but better. I never got far in RE4 because of that insane stop-to-shoot scheme even though I was desperate for good GameCube games.

If what I am doing with the controller doesn't make good sense and isn't intuitive then, in my opinion, the game's developers have not done their job. "No, like, it's works poorly ON PURPOSE!" doesn't resonate with me because this is a fucking video game and it's like a film director telling me he made my eyes hurt for art. If Jeff agrees with that, then we're homies.

#188 Posted by BaconBuTTy (168 posts) -

I'm playing through ACIII at the moment, and I think there's an importand distinction to make about the GB opinion on that game.

They think it's *disappointing*. Not Bad.

I love the game so far, but I have to agree. It's Assassin's Creed III - a numbered Assassin's Creed. I expected more. But it's actually less than Brotherhood was, but with a different setting.

#189 Posted by Skyfire543 (585 posts) -

@Lyisa said:

Monster Hunter is a steaming pile of shit in my opinion, but I love Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.

#190 Posted by mercutio123 (454 posts) -

Brad can not and will not be reasoned with.  And that sequels that do somethings similar to the previous titles to be immediately terrible

#191 Posted by Vod_Crack (671 posts) -

@Will_M said:

Lets get real: I didnt think SAINTS ROW THE THIRD was all that great. Fun moments but the overall experience was pretty standard shoot this and that. If i could go back in time, i'd tell myself not to buy it (and the winning lottery numbers).

Yeah, you're right and that did annoy me at the time. I had a fun time with that game but it shouldn't have been a contender for GOTY. It really wasn't that much better than Saints Row 2.

#192 Posted by blueaniman93 (604 posts) -

Their love of all things Rockstar, their indifference to Mass Effect 3 (even though Jeff gave it a 4) and Dishonored, their uninformed dismissal of Android, and their general lack of optimism about videogames. Oh yeah, and about half of what Jeff and Patrick say.

#193 Edited by Bobby_The_Great (999 posts) -

I hated GTA IV, loved Red Dead. I also like JRPG's so they shit on those all the time. I disagree with them a lot, but it's whatever.

Jeff writes-off some seriously good games, but promotes ones I personally think are garbage: Syndicate and Trackmania 2 come to mind.

Brad is filled with insane hyperbole, and quick to be ridiculously negative against things.

Patrick is negative and cynical to a lot of games he's never tried.

Ryan can be an ass, and write off games because of mechanics when the mechanics are in the tutorials he skips.

Vinny... well, he's perfect.

But you know, I like hearing why they don't like stuff and reaffirming why I do.

#194 Edited by crusader8463 (14321 posts) -

I can't really think of any specific examples, but the big one for me is when they dismiss genres or games as being dumb because they are too lazy or uninterested in it to talk about it with any kind of knowledge. I understand if it's just not something they care for, but it just makes them look like idiots when they trash it based on nothing but their own ignorance.

Another thing I dislike is when Jeff goes off on talking about how great rap music is or when he starts talking about old atari era games. I just have zero interest in it so everything they are talking about holds no meaning to me so it's not interesting.

#195 Posted by panvixyl (325 posts) -

Patrick's not caring about story in horror games, especially Silent Hill, drives me fucking batty.

#196 Edited by Nentisys (881 posts) -

So much stuff. Short list of stuff that I really really disagree with.

Skyrim GOTY, Red Dead game of the gen...

Gears being the best 3rd person shooter, and all games should model their shooting/moving after it.

Apple worship. Especially if you install CyanogenMod, iOS is worse at everything.

FTL being "deep". Its not deep, its very shallow if you play it for more than an hour.

#197 Posted by Unmada (68 posts) -

I like Dynasty Warriors.

#198 Posted by Zaccheus (1770 posts) -

I vehemently like the word vehemently. I like some games the crew doesn't and don't like some they do. Not a big deal.

#199 Posted by heis24 (35 posts) -

I hate when Ryan or Jeff start talking about a type of food being gross. You know those two fat asses will eat anything.

#200 Posted by Vod_Crack (671 posts) -

@BaconBuTTy said:

He said the gameplay mechanics feel like they "fell out of a PS2" - And honestly, he's kinda right.

I would encourage you to actually play a third-person game on the PS2 and come back. I would say almost all of them play like complete garbage now. Even great games like Freedom Fighters and Psi-Ops are really rough now. Red Dead Redemption's general gameplay is in a different league.