GenghisJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By GenghisJohn

This is not a brad hate thread.

On the last bombcast Brad was bursting to give out spoilers for DMC, a game that wasn't even out yet. This is the same Brad that made everyone not discuss Mass Effect which had been out for like a year at the time. Come on Brad.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By EuanDewar

spoilers are a weird thing for Giant Bomb, like how Patrick just straight up said every joke in that Barkley game

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Animasta

Yup, I thought that was weird too.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Pie

Eh he was super enthusiastic about the game and obviously wants people to see what he likes about it and maybe feels like a lot of people won't give it a chance like he wasn't going to.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By breadfan

No offense, but do people really play Devil May Cry for the story?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Justin258

...did he give them out? I don't remember.

Not that I really cared. Even if I did really want DMC, there's a major difference between spoiling a game that you play for story (Mass Effect 3) and a game you play for gameplay (DMC). Maybe you're genuinely interested in DMC's story, and that's fine by me, but "come on, GenghisJohn".

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Animasta

@EuanDewar: that was with a game that had been out for 5 years, and he specifically said that he was going to talk about it (somewhere around 5 at any rate)

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EuanDewar

@Animasta: yeah i know i just thought it was dumb anyway, i wasnt gonna play that game either way

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By UlquioKani

I always think it's really adorable when Brad wants to spoil a game. His childlike glee at a game he likes is awesome. It usually means I end up buying it as well so I don't care when he attempts to spoil a game because the others usually stop him. He also asks before doing it.

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Brad

This thread is silly, considering a) I didn't say anything and b) they weren't SPOILARZ!!! anyway, unless you consider "the art style in mission 10" to be a spoiler.

Iron_Tool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Iron_Tool

Worst offender for spoilers on the Bombcast is Patrick though: "I don't want to spoil this but......" and then tells everything important about that segment/game etc..

I'm not hating on Patrick just pointing this out.

GenghisJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By GenghisJohn

@believer258: Sure some people do. And he wasn't giving away plot points, he wanted to give away some of the major set pieces. I just thought it was weird that a guy who is so anti-spoiler when it comes to games he hasn't played would be so hype to give away specific cool surprises in the game. If you listen to the podcast when they're talking about Twin Peaks and the ending of season 1 Brad is like, 'Oh I haven't seen it, don't tell me'

I like Brad, his spoiler stance is super weird though

Tidel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Tidel

They should attach Brad to the back of a sports car, because he's so spoilers.

Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Xtrememuffinman

He was giddy about a certain moment and wanted to share it to exemplify the kind of game it was. That's about it.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Bollard

@Iron_Tool said:

Worst offender for spoilers on the Bombcast is Patrick though: "I don't want to spoil this but......" and then tells everything important about that segment/game etc..

Every podcast.

Every podcast.

Every podcast.

Every podcast.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By Mezmero

If the art work is some of the best stuff in a game then it's worth giving an example or two in an audio format. The thing about DmC using chalk marks in the environment was interesting to hear about but seeing it in action was far more impressive than Brad could describe. The biggest offense to me was when he spoiled stabbing the earth in Asura's Wrath on a bombcast episode last year. That was something I really wish I hadn't known about when I saw it although the impact of that cut scene was still really intense. I don't know, I think these guys have been pretty good about spoilers over the years. Every now and then they get excited and reveal a little too much but that just comes with the territory. I'll differ to them to reveal whatever the hell they want about a game as long as we keep getting long podcasts.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Cold_Wolven

I wish they would just host a spoilercast just to let their enthusiasm out instead of trying to do it in a QL or Bombcast.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

But the point is he didn't spoil it. Enjoying something so much that you want to talk about every little detail is a natural thing, but most people, like Brad in this instance, respect others who wish to experience the thing for themselves and avoid giving anything away. It's unfortunate that a certain member of the bomcast has forced many people, including myself, to feel like they taking a gamble of getting things spoiled every time they listen.

ianyarborough

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ianyarborough

@GenghisJohn: Yeah, that bothered me a bit as well. I half expected Jeff to call him out on it.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#20  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Brad: I just figured it was ACTING! as in "look at how excited I am, I am bursting at the seams with spoilers!" with no real intention to spoil anything meaningful.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By recroulette

In the case of every game out there. If you don't want anything to be spoiled, just stay away from everything. Absolutely everything.
 It shouldn't have come to this, but that's just the way games coverage is these days. 

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Rafaelfc

if you listen to a podcast for videogame info and then complain when you get it, you're just dumb

Also, if knowing a couple of details about a 10 HOUR GAME diminishes your desire to play it, you probably shouldn't play it in the first place.

darthslughorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By darthslughorn

I have yet to hear an egregious spoiler of a brand new game where the spoiler is an essential part without any kind of warning. Anyone spoiling a game that is on your backlog and your upset about it sounds like your problem.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Canteu

@Brad: spoilers =/= story

But yeah, he didn't say a thing. So what's the big deal?

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By Bocam

I'm pretty sure the thing that Brad wanted to spoil was in the advertising for the game. If not, it was spoiled in Adam Sessler's review.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RazielCuts

@Pie said:

Eh he was super enthusiastic about the game and obviously wants people to see what he likes about it and maybe feels like a lot of people won't give it a chance like he wasn't going to.

Yeah this, I just think he wanted people to play the game and give it a chance so was just like, 'theres this bit' and 'this bit' of just how weird it goes with its level decision. I think it was the right choice not to 'spoil' them though as its something people should experience by themselves.

KittyVonDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By KittyVonDoom

What's funny is that even if someone had talked about those Mass Effect 3 spoilers, it wouldn't have made any difference. Apparently he played a totally different game to everyone else.

They really should have been able to discuss the huge controversy over an old game. That seems really weird that something so important had to go untouched. I thought talking about games was their job?

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

People who complains about this is really only doing it to complain.

If you don't want to hear spoilers TURN THE PODCAST OFF.

I still haven't listened to a majority of the GOTY podcasts because I still need to finish The Walking Dead.

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Brad

@Canteu said:

@Brad: spoilers =/= story

But yeah, he didn't say a thing. So what's the big deal?

If your definition of spoilers extends beyond "major plot points that are meant to take you by surprise" then my official position is: that is crazy!

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#31  Edited By MildMolasses

@IanYarborough said:

@GenghisJohn: Yeah, that bothered me a bit as well. I half expected Jeff to call him out on it.

Jeff sort of did during the ME3 spoiler thing when he said something along the lines of "Its ok to talk now that Brad has finished it" (text doesn't really convey the tone)

It is a quirk of his that goes back a while (he wanted to get into that Dead Space Wii game's end-game stuff before it was even released), but I chalk it up to his enthusiasm for games that he just wants to share what makes a game so enjoyable to him but at the same time never acknowledging that when someone else wants to get into spoilery areas.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Canteu

@Brad: Well I mean stuff like, "this bat shit crazy thing happened but it had no impact on the story, but holy shit was it incredibly exciting and surprising to experience it!"

Honestly I don't care about story in games, but the moments I experience are what get me.

What's the difference between a plot point taking you by surprise, and a scripted, non story related sequence taking you by surprise? They both achieve the same result. Surprise and excitement!

And when you did the hour of ME3 on that podcast, I respected your warning and just skipped it. Like a non crazy person.

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By thatdutchguy

@Brad: Don't worry man, dudes on here Always have something to bitch about ,keep doing the good work boss. :)

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By pr1mus

Man it's so great to not care about spoilers. Most of the time i actively look for them. The fun for me isn't knowing what happens, it's seeing it.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35  Edited By geirr

He wanted to share something that seemed relatively innocent about a scene, nothing about the story itself, if I remember correctly.

Not a big deal.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By Superkenon

@GenghisJohn said:

This is not a brad hate thread.

On the last bombcast Brad was bursting to give out spoilers for DMC, a game that wasn't even out yet. This is the same Brad that made everyone not discuss Mass Effect which had been out for like a year at the time. Come on Brad.

Brad was basically saying "man, this stuff is so cool, and I want to talk about it but I don't want to ruin the surprise." Which seems rather different than "ALRIGHT LET'S TALK STORY SPOILERS C'MONNN".

In fact, both this case and the case with Mass Effect 3 have a commonality: Brad wants to avoid spoilers. So...

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By doobie

when ryan says 'so what you been playing brad'

and he replies 'DMC'.

if you are worried about spoilers simply fast forward or turn it down or put lobsters in your ears. its not like they just out of the blue randomly blurt out spoiler to catch you off guard.

thats what i do anyway.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Sterling

Aries dies, you are Darth Raven, and you are already dead. Happy.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#39  Edited By granderojo

I wish he had said the spoilers. I would have liked to have known what Jeff had to say about them.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Sterling

@doobie: Where do you get such small lobsters?

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Wacomole

@doobie said:

...if you are worried about spoilers simply fast forward...

Tried that with the Walking Dead at the end of last year.... landed slap bang in the middle of a HUUUUUGE spoiler.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ripelivejam

GoT season 3 spoilers

MAJOR B(o__Y__o)BZ

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#43  Edited By Lukeweizer

Haven't listened to the Cast yet, but were they actually spoilers, or were they minor details about later (or even early) stuff in the game that people are over-blowing? Cause that's usually what happens.

PhilipDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By PhilipDuck

Ahh it's just funny now.. Brad Spoilermaker has a rep for it and it's a good laugh. It's just his excitement when he enjoys a game he can't help himself but blurt out what great moments he had. I'm not to bothered their usually not that severe..

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#45  Edited By Little_Socrates

@StarvingGamer said:

@Brad: I just figured it was ACTING! as in "look at how excited I am, I am bursting at the seams with spoilers!" with no real intention to spoil anything meaningful.

I took it this way too, but I'd also already seen the bit I think Brad was talking about in the Sess Money review.

I really enjoyed the DmC talk on the show. Keep up the great work.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BraveToaster
Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#47  Edited By Sergio

@Iron_Tool said:

The best (or worst) was Patrick's recent story on Dust. He says spoilers ahead before the body of the article, but after he drops a spoiler right beneath the title, before the spoiler warning.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By HerbieBug

He does this all the time. "But there is this thing! It's sooooooo good! Can I say? Can I say right now? I don't want to spoil anything! and it's not a spoiler! not really!" Then Ryan says, "No." And Brad replies, "URGGGGGGGHHHH but it's soooo gooooooooood! unnnnnnnnngggggg!!!!"

Every time. Cut it out, Brad. I don't give a damn about the DMC game and even I was pissed off by that exchange on this week's podcast.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By killacam

@Breadfan said:

No offense, but do people really play Devil May Cry for the story?

it was more moment-to-moment craziness he was wanting to talk about, not plot.

i found it pretty damn ironic that patrick was the most vocal in shutting him up.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By HerbieBug

@Brad said:

This thread is silly, considering a) I didn't say anything and b) they weren't SPOILARZ!!! anyway, unless you consider "the art style in mission 10" to be a spoiler.

You were behaving like a puppy told to sit and stay while his owner pours his food into his dish. :p You listen to that bit of the podcast and tell me it isn't so.

And yes, a drastic change in art style in a chapter deep into the game is spoiler territory. Definitely.