• 93 results
#51 Posted by Mustachio (241 posts) -

@Brad said:

@Canteu said:

@Brad: spoilers =/= story

But yeah, he didn't say a thing. So what's the big deal?

If your definition of spoilers extends beyond "major plot points that are meant to take you by surprise" then my official position is: that is crazy!

I have no investment in this whole DMC argument, but I feel compelled to say that in my opinion and the opinions of those I know personally, spoilers can extend to any unknown part of a game that the person you're talking to, not you, wouldn't want to know. Obviously that doesn't apply in a podcast environment, really, but I just felt I should point out that when deciding what is and is not a spoiler, it's the subjective view of what is a spoiler by the person being told the information that matters, not the person giving out the spoilers.

It's a mouthful, but I had a friend who took some kind of pleasure in ruining any memorable moment from a book, film or game for the rest of us and insisting it wasn't a spoiler in his opinion, so we had no right to be annoyed. It's become a bit of a pet peeve.

#52 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

I think he was just using it as a way to show how much enthusiasm he had over it. He would have just spoiled the spoilers if he wanted to do any spoiling. Seemed pretty obvious to me.

#53 Posted by Voxus (282 posts) -

I want to believe that every time someone mentions Brad on the forums, either Ryan or Jeff yells out, "THEY'RE CALLING YOU OUT, SHOEMAKER".

#54 Edited by MyNiceIceLife (601 posts) -

I kinda don't care too much about spoilers unless it's a game I'm just about to play and they talk about something. The mention of what happens to Cortana in Halo 4 a few weeks ago just as I was going to play it kinda took a little bit out of that game for me since I had avoided basically everything about it. Don't know who it was that mentioned it though, but it just came up and it was too late to do anything about it.

#55 Posted by Nerdware (63 posts) -

Honestly, a few spoilers is not a problem with me. To know big points of the game might make me interested enough to check it out!

#56 Posted by Abendlaender (2595 posts) -

It's a difficult line. If he doesn't say what he really likes about the game and don't give examples people can't understand it. Try to convince somebody that an adventure game has clever puzzles without giving away at least one of them.

Just saying "Yes, this game has an amazing artstyle" is not enough for many people, if you don't give some example for it. It's not like he was talking about the plot

#57 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19140 posts) -

@Mustachio said:

@Brad said:

If your definition of spoilers extends beyond "major plot points that are meant to take you by surprise" then my official position is: that is crazy!

I have no investment in this whole DMC argument, but I feel compelled to say that in my opinion and the opinions of those I know personally, spoilers can extend to any unknown part of a game that the person you're talking to, not you, wouldn't want to know. Obviously that doesn't apply in a podcast environment, really, but I just felt I should point out that when deciding what is and is not a spoiler, it's the subjective view of what is a spoiler by the person being told the information that matters, not the person giving out the spoilers.

It's a mouthful, but I had a friend who took some kind of pleasure in ruining any memorable moment from a book, film or game for the rest of us and insisting it wasn't a spoiler in his opinion, so we had no right to be annoyed. It's become a bit of a pet peeve.

Agreed. Can't say much more than that because I fully agree with everything you've stated. Saying that it is crazy for someone to think that something is a spoiler is absurd itself.

#58 Edited by HerbieBug (3836 posts) -

@Abendlaender said:

It's a difficult line. If he doesn't say what he really likes about the game and don't give examples people can't understand it. Try to convince somebody that an adventure game has clever puzzles without giving away at least one of them.

Just saying "Yes, this game has an amazing artstyle" is not enough for many people, if you don't give some example for it. It's not like he was talking about the plot

You can say something like, "this game plays with its art style in interesting and cool ways throughout," without going in to specifics. It is never necessary to say something so specific as, "in Chapter 10..." etc. The only time that is okay is if the thing has created some controversy that must be addressed directly. Mass Effect 3's ending, for example.

Also, if you ever find yourself in a position of trying to argue whether something technically qualifies as a spoiler, in the strictest sense of being a spoiler, you are already well into spoiler territory and need to shut up.

@punkxblaze said:

@HerbieBug said:

He does this all the time. "But there is this thing! It's sooooooo good! Can I say? Can I say right now? I don't want to spoil anything! and it's not a spoiler! not really!" Then Ryan says, "No." And Brad replies, "URGGGGGGGHHHH but it's soooo gooooooooood! unnnnnnnnngggggg!!!!"

Every time. Cut it out, Brad. I don't give a damn about the DMC game and even I was pissed off by that exchange on this week's podcast.

You're very easily angered, aren't you.

Indeed I am. :)

#59 Posted by punkxblaze (2877 posts) -

@HerbieBug said:

He does this all the time. "But there is this thing! It's sooooooo good! Can I say? Can I say right now? I don't want to spoil anything! and it's not a spoiler! not really!" Then Ryan says, "No." And Brad replies, "URGGGGGGGHHHH but it's soooo gooooooooood! unnnnnnnnngggggg!!!!"

Every time. Cut it out, Brad. I don't give a damn about the DMC game and even I was pissed off by that exchange on this week's podcast.

You're very easily angered, aren't you.

#60 Posted by SlashDance (1757 posts) -

There are different kinds of spoiler. The "well, might as well not even play this now" spoilers, and the "oh that's that part I've already seen/heard of" spoilers. The later isn't going to ruin the experience of playing the game, but I kinda hate when it happens, too.

If somebody had told me about the first moments of Mexico in Red Dead before I played the game, I would've punched the motherfucker in the face, yet it has nothing to do with specific plot points.

#61 Posted by JoeyRavn (4883 posts) -

Oh, man, people on the Internet. Where not listening to a podcast is much harder than complaining about it. Everything would be much better for everyone if people learned to let go and stop doing the things they don't like.

#62 Posted by bonbolapti (1590 posts) -

I say we just spoil the fuck out of everything from now on. That way people can enjoy conversations about stuff, and not have to wait to talk about anything to the point where nobody cares.

All Spoils day, coommmeee ooonnnnn

#63 Posted by Bulby33 (521 posts) -

@Chavtheworld said:

@Iron_Tool said:

Worst offender for spoilers on the Bombcast is Patrick though: "I don't want to spoil this but......" and then tells everything important about that segment/game etc..

I'm not hating on Patrick just pointing this out.

Every podcast.

Every podcast.

Every podcast.

Every podcast.

Every podcast.

#64 Edited by cthomer5000 (656 posts) -

It's a general trend. Brad is arguably my favorite member of the show, but he clearly holds a huge double-standard about spoilers. I was impressed he managed to keep them from getting deep on ME3 for so long actually.

They need to get back to spoilercasts. People want it man. Even a one-man spoilercast video series would be excellent. Take Patrick's 999 lead.

#65 Posted by big_jon (5654 posts) -

@Chavtheworld said:

@Iron_Tool said:

Worst offender for spoilers on the Bombcast is Patrick though: "I don't want to spoil this but......" and then tells everything important about that segment/game etc..

Every podcast.

Every podcast.

Every podcast.

Every podcast.

True, he also overstates things .

#66 Posted by Sanity (1851 posts) -

Eh, its not a game im going into for the story, not that i want them to get too spoiler crazy with anything thats come out in the last 3 months or so but i think sometimes there too strict and we could see lots of really interesting things talked about if they were a tad more open. I think a spoiler cast on occasion would work wonders for this, but i realize they already do so much content it may be hard to fit in.

#67 Posted by css_switchfoot (116 posts) -

The hour long ME3 spoiler when brad finished it would have been a perfect spoilercast. I'm in the Navy so I go underway for long periods of time. I listen to the bombcast to keep up with whats going on in the game industry, and there are time where a game has been out for maybe a year and I still haven't played it yet.

That being said, I know i'm on the fringe and I really don't expect them to tailor their jobs and lives around mine. They are great about saying "we are going to spoil this thing" (I really don't remember patrick ever spoiling anything for me...but maybe i missed those podcasts). I usually just skip it if I know I'm gonna play the game eventually. Timestamps would be great for this, and I do like it when they split those off into spoilercasts...but honestly I'd rather hear their thoughts on things without them holding back because they might spoil it for someone, somewhere. Even if that person is me.

#68 Posted by zombie2011 (4941 posts) -

Did he end up spoiling anything? No! So what exactly is the point of this thread??

#69 Posted by rentfn (1266 posts) -

Spoilers happen. If you get excited about something you want to talk about it. Your excitement might let something slip out. We will in an age when if you want to avoid spoilers you have to have it shipped to your house and not go online till said product is finished because anyone could be talking about it anywhere.

#70 Posted by Xer0ph0kus (5 posts) -

I think he was just trying to express to people that they should play the game, but was afraid they would ignore him unless he talked about some of the crazier moments, which he didn't want to because that would be spoiling it.

#71 Posted by TooWalrus (12967 posts) -

@zombie2011 said:

Did he end up spoiling anything? No! So what exactly is the point of this thread??

...I'm not sure there is one.

#72 Edited by HerbieBug (3836 posts) -

@cthomer5000 said:

It's a general trend. Brad is arguably my favorite member of the show, but he clearly holds a huge double-standard about spoilers. I was impressed he managed to keep them from getting deep on ME3 for so long actually.

They need to get back to spoilercasts. People want it man. Even a one-man spoilercast video series would be excellent. Take Patrick's 999 lead.

Yep! Spoilercasts are great. Feel free to go nuts on the itsy bitsy details of whatever you like in the confines of a clearly marked and titled spoilercast. :)

@TooWalrus said:

@zombie2011 said:

...I'm not sure there is one.

Grievance with a pattern of behaviour; though prematurely curtailed by cooler heads in this specific instance, enthusiastic intent to spoil was there.

#73 Posted by MisterWaingro (66 posts) -

@Brad said:

This thread is silly, considering a) I didn't say anything and b) they weren't SPOILARZ!!! anyway, unless you consider "the art style in mission 10" to be a spoiler.

Just don't forget what a bitch you were about ME3 spoilers a year after it came out the next time you want to spoil something.

#74 Posted by The_Nubster (1949 posts) -

I am having trouble believing that there are people getting enraged by not even spoilers about the way an area in an action game looks.

#75 Posted by Daroki (704 posts) -

@Brad said:

This thread is silly, considering a) I didn't say anything and b) they weren't SPOILARZ!!! anyway, unless you consider "the art style in mission 10" to be a spoiler.

Between the review and the enthusiasm on the Bombcast, you actually got me to download the demo for DmC, and now it's something that's on my radar that wouldn't have been there before. That's one of the reasons I love this site, so thank you for that.

#76 Edited by Snail (8464 posts) -

I hate how Patrick seems to enjoy throwing spoilers around. I have no such complaints about Brad though.

#77 Posted by Divina_Rex (351 posts) -

Who's that in Brad's Avatar?

#78 Posted by Stonyman65 (2404 posts) -

@Chavtheworld said:

@Iron_Tool said:

Every podcast.

Every podcast.

Every podcast.

Every podcast.

I was just about to mention that.

I don't really have a problem if someone mentions spoilers as long as they say they are going to do it beforehand. There is something to be said about fair warning in advance.

As for Brad spoiling something - I just listened to that part of the podcast less than an hour ago and he didn't mention anything that was important at all.

Also, Spoilercasts need to be a thing. If there is a game that members of that staff want to talk about in-depth while the game is still new without mentioning anything important in a public forum, save that content for a specific spoilercast where they can go all out. If people want to know about it, they will listen, and others who don't want to know won't. It's really that simple. For as often as that sort of thing happens, an additional podcast once a month or so isn't that big of a deal. They've already done it with Portal 2, MGS4 and MW2... Why not anything else?

#79 Posted by JazGalaxy (1577 posts) -

@GenghisJohn said:

This is not a brad hate thread.

On the last bombcast Brad was bursting to give out spoilers for DMC, a game that wasn't even out yet. This is the same Brad that made everyone not discuss Mass Effect which had been out for like a year at the time. Come on Brad.

I think it has to do with the people on the bombcast just being jerks, to some degree.

I mean, I made a comment about it, somehow, to Jeff during the conversation on XCom, where they spoiled a number of things that the game intentionally keep secret just because they had all played the game but nobody in the audience had.

Either ohter people made the same comment or he read mine, because he made a comment later that was basically making fun of people who complain about spoilers and saying we're a bunch of whiners.

It's par for the course for the people on the bombcast to hate spoilers when it's regard to them playing games they care about and have little regard for spoilers when it comes to games they've played or don't care about.

#80 Posted by EXTomar (4118 posts) -

This thread is silly. Anyone who listens to the podcast like this know how they handle spoilers where they won't put klaxons just for someone. If you are playing a game that you don't want spoilers on, the last thing you do is start listening to a podcast that discuss the game especially Giant Bombcast.

#81 Posted by ChinaDontCare (111 posts) -

COME ON........

#82 Posted by Akeldama (4216 posts) -

@Brad said:

Exactly what I was going to say. Good on you, Brad.

#83 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6077 posts) -

We talk flu watch, dog food, contentious furniture ownership, Black Ops II, Twin Peaks, Devil May Cry, and more!

If you don't want to hear spoilers about certain games, skip the bombcasts in which they talk about them until you play it.

#84 Posted by Subjugation (4693 posts) -

@Divina_Rex said:

Who's that in Brad's Avatar?

That would be J Allard!

Also, maybe I wasn't paying close attention, but I don't remember Brad spoiling anything. I'm pretty sure I would remember because I would be upset since I plan on checking this game out.

#85 Posted by BeachThunder (11251 posts) -

Bombcast is disgusting with spoilers, they're so flippant about spoilers (especially Patrick) :(

#86 Posted by beeftothetaco (418 posts) -

Patrick is WAY worse. He has ruined several endings for me including that of Far Cry 3.

#87 Posted by NoelVeiga (1043 posts) -

Honestly, I want them to go ahead and spoil things. I'm tired of interesting conversations being prevented by the off chance that somebody has not played through to the ending of a game when most games only have 20% of their players EVER get completion, and that's not even counting all the people that won't play a game.

A film critic may not list spoilers on a pre-release review, but no self respecting scholar would avoid talking about the ending of a major film a few weeks after it's out if it prevented discussing its merits.

So yeah, screw you guys, if you hadn't played a freeware game that has been out for a while, that's on you. At best a warning ahead of time is warranted, but nothing else.

And, for the record, Brad didn't want to spoil things, he just wanted to mention cool visuals in the game but felt discovering those was part of the fun. Most of the trailers and video reviews for DmC contained a bunch of the things he wanted to talk about, it seems.

#88 Posted by ThePaleKing (613 posts) -

I was actually hoping he would talk about some of that stuff; hearing them talk about the ending of SpecOps was precisely what got me to buy and play that game.

#89 Edited by L33tfella_H (901 posts) -

On the topic of in-depth game discussion, what ever happened to the spoilercasts? I have absolutely no clue how difficult the recording process is, but they could have 20-30 minute segments where they can talk about plot points and other elements of games without having to worry about spoiling it for anyone, since it'd be it's own thing.

I can understand the frustration of having something spoiled for you despite being interested in it, but I really like hearing them as a group discuss what they thought of the way things were handled in certain games.

#90 Posted by Village_Guy (2401 posts) -

Brad Attack™!

#91 Posted by Humanity (7924 posts) -

@Iron_Tool said:

I like how it has become standard these days to attach the "I'm not hating on Patrick" addendum to any post made in reference to Patrick.

#92 Posted by Abendlaender (2595 posts) -

@HerbieBug said:

@Abendlaender said:

You can say something like, "this game plays with its art style in interesting and cool ways throughout," without going in to specifics. It is never necessary to say something so specific as, "in Chapter 10..." etc. The only time that is okay is if the thing has created some controversy that must be addressed directly. Mass Effect 3's ending, for example.

Also, if you ever find yourself in a position of trying to argue whether something technically qualifies as a spoiler, in the strictest sense of being a spoiler, you are already well into spoiler territory and need to shut up.

Oh right, cause there is no controversy surrounding DmC whatsoever. And "This game plays with art style in a cool way" says NOTHING at all. I wouldn't be any wiser if somebody tells me that there might be something that they would consider cool somewhere. Also, I'm not trying to argue wether something is a spoiler. I'm saying it's not. Talking about art direction is not a freaking spoiler. End of story,.

#93 Posted by Humanity (7924 posts) -

What wanted to say is that you jump around on TV graphics in a single level. It's not even an entire level it's just one single section that takes roughly 30 seconds to traverse. Thats the huge spoiler everyone is getting worked up over. He could have said it, because it's not integral to the rest of the game and doesn't ruin anything. IF anything it would have heightened peoples interest to actually get to that part and see it for themselves.

I'd rather them say stuff and have a discussion than have a repeat of the Saints Row "dood you gotta play this.. theres this one part.. you just gotta play it man.. OHHH its so good.." and then we heard that for three weeks in a row and they never talked about it.