Brad Nicholson is unprofessional

• 96 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for blastprocessing
BlastProcessing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By BlastProcessing

ITT: People defending Brad with generic "YO IF YOU DONT LIKE DIS SHIT, DONT READ DIS SHIT, DAWG." mentality.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Ryax
@99X said:
" @Jeust said:
" @Hitchenson said:

" Giant Bomb doesn't strike me as "professional", I don't say that in a bad way, I say that in the best of ways. "

@The_Laughing_Man said:

" No one is forcing you to read them "

I agree with both of these statements. If you're looking for professionalism you're looking in the wrong place.  "
I'm saying I'm looking for accurate information.  Apparently you guys are completely fine with misinformation and sloppy writing.  Theres a difference between having a laid back style of reporting and then just being lazy.   "
if you dont like it get out. problem solved
TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#53  Edited By TheAdmin

I think some of you are misunderstanding me.  He can put a spin on it, or report on anything he wants. It's not his personality or writing style. If he's going to post news here is what i would like: 

News fact checked and accurate. On time.  

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By davidwitten22

Giantbomb is the only gaming site I go to. If the news isn't posted here I probably won't see it. In that sense, I like the new guys posting more news.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By MysteriousBob
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" No one is forcing you to read them "
Nobody forces you to watch a movie. People still criticise those. 

The whole 'free service' thing is bullshit. People are entitled to their opinions. And I 100% agree with the OP.
sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By sagesebas
@Milkman: Haha professionalism or not that shits funny
Gutlieb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By Gutlieb

I like what Brad N is doing. And I haven't found anything wrong with the news he's feeding me.

troy333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By troy333

Are you Jim Sterling? Stop complaining about nothing.

The articles are fine and Brad N. is a great addition to the website 

BraveFart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By BraveFart

hmmm... i think GiantBomb hired him for a reason.

If you don't like how he do his work why don't you apply for a job @ GiantBomb and we users will be the judge if you can do it better than Nicholson ?

This is just pure unnecessary whine to me. You think you can do a better job ?

i don't know much about Brad Nicholson and i have no opinion of him or anything, im just annoyed by your whine + you come off as an asshole who thinks he can do it better than him. Don't play smart if your not. That was just PURE whine !

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#60  Edited By Milkman

Like other people have said, this is only video game website I go to. So, if the news wasn't here, I would never know. The articles really don't matter to me all that. Most of the time, I'll just skim the article and get the news. But, yeah, these threads are getting annoying.

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Djeffers03

He's fine. Plus if my judgement is correct then a large proportion of users don't even use giantbomb for much news anyway, it's all about the videos,the reviews, the bombcast and forums. 

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By nail1080

Topic creator, I'd like to see a few more examples before I agree with you. I can't think of anymore on the top of my mind but I know there are a few more examples of poor journalism by Brad somewhere but until someone bothers pointing them to me I don't think you have enough evidence to back your point.

Either way whether you like Brad N's work or not there is nothing to be upset or bitter about, just tell us your opinion but don't fucking cry about it.

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#63  Edited By bonbolapti

I do agree, because there's a difference between blogging and journalism. Which is why I don't like places like Kotaku or Destructoid, because I all they want to do it talk about anything that pops up. I never thought I'd see it on giantbomb. and the amount of news articles to the giantbomb content that we're used to really breaks up the flow. maybe as design to better accommodate it would be awesome.

HyBound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By HyBound

It seems like none of you have actually read the initial post... I agree with the OP's assertion that the reason we come to GB is because we like the opinions and commentary that Brad, Jeff, Ryan and Vinnie have on the subjects reported on. 

However 

The only real gripe i have with Nicholson's writing is that he just needs to do a once-over on his articles before posting them... It has become a bit of a nuisance to have every paragraph have several errors in it where i have to go back and re-read a sentence because the grammar makes no sense or there are words in the wrong order. His recent Blacklight interview comes to mind. Otherwise, his style of writing is entertaining and comes with the same style of GB commentary and funny quips I appreciate when coming here. 

The TF2 article you cited seemed pretty knowledgeable from someone who noticed a big update on a game he didn't play... Can't rail on him for that.

BruceLeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#65  Edited By BruceLeet

There are tons of other websites you can use for you gaming needs if this one doesn't fit, feel free to move on.

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#66  Edited By gearhead
@Toms115 said:
" his articles are fine and he has even managed to scrape a laugh or two out of me. it's news articles, what do you want, tolkien? "
Tolkien was a shitty writer.
Hyuzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Hyuzen

Some people only go to Giantbomb for video game related things. If theres no news, then that forces them to go somewhere else. Maybe Giantbomb knew they needed someone to write news because before Brad started contributing every update was almost always videos with a couple written previews here and there. I get most of my news from other sites but some people just want everything from one site, that is what brad is here for. deal with it

Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Muttinus_Rump
@Glak said:
" Seriously, do we have to have one of these threads everyday? People complained when there wasn't enough news, and now they're complaining there's too much Plus it's not like his articles are making the Staff's writing any worse, so just ignore it if you hate it so much "
actionTACO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By actionTACO

i too demand the utmost professionalism and accuracy from my biedo game news posts

i also eat paste and shit my pants on an hourly basis, so take that as you will

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#70  Edited By Binman88
@Milkman said:
" Like other people have said, this is only video game website I go to. So, if the news wasn't here, I would never know. "
Indeed. I don't care if it's information derived from Kotaku or Joystiq. I'm not visiting those sites on a regular basis, and having the news on the front page of GB at least clues in the community here to the important news items that might be discussed on the Bombcast, and archives them on the website for referencing on future articles.

If I wanted to be a dick, I could post a sizeable blog about all the little mistakes the main staff make when discussing games or topics they're not completely familiar with on the Bombcast; but I have better things to be doing, and I'm not a dick.
Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#71  Edited By Siphillis

Adding a constant news stream is essential towards making Giant Bomb a one-stop shop for all things gaming.  As it stands, one could receive a much greater source of gaming info from Wikipedia and Joystiq than anywhere else.  My problem with Brad 2.0 is that some of his articles and video uploads have glaring typos, and that most of his editorializing could be cut in half for easier readability.  Most recently, from his articles regarding Kinect: 

"But it appears as if it all the belly-achin' was a waste of time."   

He should have simply substituted that sentence with "Pac-man Pac-man!!," 'cause I don't know what that means.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#72  Edited By breadfan

Why does this dude get so much flak?  Giant Bomb has way more news stories than it has ever had in the past, don't know why that is such a bad thing. If you don't like the guy's writing, as others have said, simply do not read his articles or get your video game news information from another source. 

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By neoepoch

Is it wrong to want to have your news correctly reported. I don't care if there is "personality" or not, but I want my facts correct, and in this case the OP is right. I don't care if the guy is a stand up person, if he is presenting poor quality work, then we can call him on it. That is the problem with these damn forums. You guys are so in love with these guys, that you aren't willing to call them when they are wrong, or if you do it is so minute that you take it as a joke, but some times you just have to go, "Dude, this is completely wrong. Don't try to pass it as fact. Because then we'll have more misinformed nimrods running around."

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Siphillis
@Milkman said:

" Yep because this website is epitome of professionalism. 

What's unprofessional about inviting a developer over to showoff their own game?

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By cstrang

I'm gonna take a stand and agree with the OP. That is, I understand what he's saying.  Most of the time, the stuff he posts feels as if it's taken from Kotaku instead of from a press release.  And/or a day late.  Earlier this week, for example, he posted the Xbox Live Summer of Arcade release dates.  Even the goddamn Summer of Arcade wiki was updated with the release dates before he "broke" the news.  He's can be a good addition to the GB team, he just needs to start getting into the PR sources, and stay the fuck away from Kotaku.

Avatar image for thelawnwrangler
TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#76  Edited By TheLawnWrangler
@Siphillis said:
" @Milkman said:

"
What's unprofessional about inviting a developer over to showoff their own game? "
did.... did you watch the video? 

just saying... you won't see that at a regular office... not that much booze or rapping, at least
weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By weltal

Oh hey, another with baseless, contrived, and trival information bashing Brad Nicholson. 

Oh Giant Bomb community, where would we be without you upholding the moral integrity of the site?

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Siphillis
@nofx4208 said:

" @Siphillis said:

" @Milkman said:

"
What's unprofessional about inviting a developer over to showoff their own game? "
did.... did you watch the video?  just saying... you won't see that at a regular office... not that much booze or rapping, at least "
They are as professional as a gaming site run by four dudes booted from a corporate gaming site should be. 

In other news, Matt Bodega challenges us to explore the "enviornments" of Test Drive Unlimited 2: 

Avatar image for thelawnwrangler
TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#79  Edited By TheLawnWrangler
@Siphillis: and that's as professional as that word gets in my book
renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#80  Edited By renmckormack

I read your blog

(A) there is no copyright in news.  Just because ten places are reporting the same thing does not mean that the second reporter is copying.  Copying and pasting quotes is part of any news story.  

(B) Its just news its helpful to me.  I only use GB and don't want to go to other sites.  The more info I can get here the better, which is the goal of running a website.  Posting news stories on games seems fairly innocuous, so I don't know why Brad N is the subject of revile, not implying your attack was personal, its just unusual to me that folks are upset about “inaccuracies” it’s not like he’s incorrectly reporting on death totals from a war, he’s talking about patches to a video game, keyword GAME.   Be easy.  

NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By NoXious
@99X:
Except I don't read Kotaku, I read GiantBomb...
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#82  Edited By ch13696

I understand where you're coming from. We come here for the personalities. Not some fuckjob who can't get shit right. That's just my opinion. Anyways, don't let anyone get to you dude. If these new journalists can't get it right then they shouldn't post at all. That's why they should have people review their articles before they post them. 

And for all the people that say "if you don't like them, then don't read them", I've been hearing that stupid ass excuse lately. Apparently this is the site we like going on and this is where we like to get are news. So this guy should be allowed to post up some constructive criticism every once in a while. Same with all of us.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Rockdalf
@ch13696 said:
" I understand where you're coming from. We come here for the personalities. Not some fuckjob who can't get shit right. That's just my opinion. Anyways, don't let anyone get to you dude. If these new journalists can't get it right then they shouldn't post at all. That's why they should have people review their articles before they post them.  

And for all the people that say "if you don't like them, then don't read them", I've been hearing that stupid ass excuse lately. Apparently this is the site we like going on and this is where we like to get are news. So this guy should be allowed to post up some constructive criticism every once in a while. Same with all of us. "
Hardy-har-har.

Let's look at it from another perspective, not necessarily from a "Defend-Brad-Nicholson" POV...

Maybe you guys are a little anal retentive and should take a break outside.  Just sayin'.
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#84  Edited By Vinchenzo

I have this headache right now and I'm wondering if I should eat Cheetos or Trix?

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

trix

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Rockdalf

No Caption Provided
@Vinchenzo:
In case you were wondering.
Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Mrskidders
@99X: Im drunk so I could only come up with one argument.  Fuck off and go somewhere else.  If you dont like the reporting then fuck off and go somewhere else.  If you dont agree with the arguments on this forum then fuck off and go somewhere else.  If you dont like this site and the new staff they are employing then fuck off and go somewhere else.  If you think anything that you say will make a lick of difference on this site then fuck and go somewhere else.

In conclusion, nobody on this site likes your attitude and your constant whining comments, so guess what, fuck off and go somewhere else.

Goodnight.

Edit : Does anyone have a spare smoke who lives near Seville.  The machine in my local was out and im gasping.  I will sit by my computer with a song in my heart and fresh air in my lungs.
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#88  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
@Rockdalf said:

" @ch13696 said:

" I understand where you're coming from. We come here for the personalities. Not some fuckjob who can't get shit right. That's just my opinion. Anyways, don't let anyone get to you dude. If these new journalists can't get it right then they shouldn't post at all. That's why they should have people review their articles before they post them.  

And for all the people that say "if you don't like them, then don't read them", I've been hearing that stupid ass excuse lately. Apparently this is the site we like going on and this is where we like to get are news. So this guy should be allowed to post up some constructive criticism every once in a while. Same with all of us. "
Hardy-har-har.  Let's look at it from another perspective, not necessarily from a "Defend-Brad-Nicholson" POV...  Maybe you guys are a little anal retentive and should take a break outside.  Just sayin'. "
Hmm... journalistic professionalism. Yes he calls himself a journalist and has some weird content in news posts which is sort of the antithesis of the craft's standards but in a site that's not intended as a journalistic site, what can you really do? It's a bit challenging. I do respect him what he is doing but it's hard (for me) to accept some shit from him.
Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#89  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

You are an idiot.  
See what I did there? Now that was unprofessional. If you dont think he is good enough for you just dont read his articles but dont go to the forums and troll also he links his articles to cite his sources like he should.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#90  Edited By Castiel

I'm way to tired to give a fuck about this right now. I don't know... I think he does a fine job.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#91  Edited By Deusoma
@99X: 
For what it's worth, I totally agree with you. I don't come to Giant Bomb for video game news; stuff like the specifics of DLC or new Rock Band kits is totally uninteresting to me. I definitely come here for Jeff, Ryan, Brad, and Vinny.  Not to mention that when one of the Squad doesn't like a game or franchise or whatever, they don't do news posts on the subject. I've seen a few Brad N. posts where the tone makes it pretty clear he thinks the game is stupid. That's just unnecessary.
Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Sanious
@cstrang: I honestly didn't know when any of the Summer of Arcade stuff came out until I saw the article on here. 

I honestly don't care that the news is posted 'late' on here, being that 'late' too most people on the internet can be up to a few hours-a day. To me this has become the norm on gaming sites, unfortunately. So it doesn't bother me because it's going to happen regardless.

I can understand wanting him to proof read his posts before he posts them, though. I don't think that is too much to ask.
Avatar image for tiger_buttercup
Tiger_Buttercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Tiger_Buttercup

@99X I agree 100%. His stories are misinformed and poorly written. At times they're even offensive. His recent story about being able to play Kinect standing down was prefaced by telling us he goes to the gym so it won't be a problem for him. Really? How is that at all informative? He then goes on to insult "everyone else" that doesn't go to the gym. The appeal of Giant Bomb has been that, even though they're professionals, they're relatable, down-to-earth guys. We don't need the "outside" attitude injected into this site. 

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By yakov456
@Deusoma said:
" @99X:  For what it's worth, I totally agree with you. I don't come to Giant Bomb for video game news; stuff like the specifics of DLC or new Rock Band kits is totally uninteresting to me. I definitely come here for Jeff, Ryan, Brad, and Vinny.  Not to mention that when one of the Squad doesn't like a game or franchise or whatever, they don't do news posts on the subject. I've seen a few Brad N. posts where the tone makes it pretty clear he thinks the game is stupid. That's just unnecessary. "
Agreed. But I do understand why they are putting news up, they want to keep people here on the site instead of searching for news on Kotaku or whatever. It's a logical progression, unfortunately.
Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Cheapoz

I enjoy Brad's personal spin on the news.  His quips are well written and funny. 

You know how many videogame websites out there that cover the day-to-day news? HEAPS. FWIW I read Joystiq and GB every day. Joystiq for news, GB for their take on the news and videos. 

I am sure when appointed Brad wasn't told "You must report every and all bit of news 100% correct and boring, we need to become like Joystiq, Kotaku, every magazine's website, etc etc etc". 

If you want your accurate, up to the minute coverage go elsewhere! If you want what the GB folks consider the news, come here!

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Hamz

Locking this down now since folks seem incapable of staying civil to one another. You're all entitled to your opinions and no one is saying any different, all we ask is you stay civil and make sure any feedback about the site content and staff themselves is constructive.