breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

Edited By breadfan

Breadfan's Top Ten Games of 2009

Well it's that time again Giant Bombers.  The time to take stock of the year that has been and look forward to 2010.  This year has been ripe with great games, many of which took me by complete surprise.  Now, I have been mixing around and interchanging this list for a while, but I have finally settled on a list that I am comfortable supporting.  

1. Dragon Age: Origins

Dragon Age is a game that was low on my radar for a long time. All I needed to know was that it was being made by Bioware, but I wasn't too excited about it up until it actually came out. I am going to be honest here and admit that I have not finished the game yet, but I can definitely say that this is my game of the year. Though I have not completed the game, I have put in a hefty amount of time into playing the game. There is just so much to do and see in Dragon Age, whether it be doing side quests for random villagers or making strides with the almost everlasting main quest. Dragon Age has become one of my favorite role playing games of all time and I can see myself playing the game over and over even into next year.

2. Modern Warfare 2

Everyone knows about the massive amount of hype put behind Modern Warfare 2 and I was a little weary of the game because of this. However I was not let down at all. Modern Warfare 2's story, though bordering on the fringes of a Tom Clancy novel, is one of the most intense experiences I have ever had in a video game this year. I just could not put down the controller because I wanted to get to the next 'oh my god!' moment that was in store. Along with the superb single player campaign, the online multiplayer is where this game really shines. Infinity Ward made great improvements over Call of Duty 4's multiplayer and is one of the best multiplayer shooters I have ever played.

3. Torchlight

A game made by the same dudes who made Diablo, one of my favorite games of all time? Count me in. Everything about this game is excellent and for the price there is a whole lot of value to be had. I had never even heard of Torchlight up until I saw Giant Bomb's Quick Look and I instantly went onto Steam and purchased it. As I mentioned previously, I love me some Diablo. I do not even want to think about the amount of time Diablo II has stolen from my life as I collected loot, loot, and more loot. Torchlight may not boast any robust multiplayer, but who needs it really. Sure dungeon crawling with a group of friends is great, but there is a purity to Torchlight.

4. Left 4 Dead 2

Left 4 Dead was one of my top games of 2008 and Left 4 Dead 2 being an improvement on the original, is by far one of my top games of 2009. There has been some frustration and 'controversy' about Valve releasing Left 4 Dead 2 so soon, but anyone who is still harping on that fact needs to play the game first. Whether it be the simple addition of melee weapons, better campaigns, or new infected, Left 4 Dead 2 delivers. Aside from the game's five new campaigns the new mode, Scavenge,offers a shorter experience than the usual Left 4 Dead versus mode, but what an intense few minutes those rounds can be. Grabbing a gasoline can and rushing back to the generator, constantly looking behind you for a swarm of zombies is a form of masochistic fun that only Left 4 Dead can produce.

5. Shadow Complex

I have never been a big classic Metroid fan, so when I first heard of Shadow Complex I was barely interested. However once I actually played the demo on Xbox Live I knew I had to get it. There was something about exploring in Shadow Complex that offered a great amount of value for the game's low price. Over the year I have played more Shadow Complex, a $15 arcade game, than some full priced retail games. Even after I beat the game for the first time, I immediately jumped into a new game and began the adventure all over again.

6. Resident Evil 5

Okay, okay I can hear some people now. "What! How is this game on your list?" Resident Evil 5 may not have expanded much on Resident Evil 4's formula of run, aim, and shoot style of gameplay, but it was a damned good game. I played through the game's campaign at least three times cooperatively and it was a blast every single time. Unlocking and upgrading guns was one of the things that kept me coming back, but overall I just had some great moments playing Resident Evil 5 this year.

7. Street Fighter IV

I've always been somewhat of a casual fighting game fan. I grew up during the decline of the arcade era and had few proper experiences with Street Fighter, aside from popping in some quarters at the movie theater, but Street Fighter IV is one of the best fighters I have ever played. Even being something of a fighting game scrub, I had a great deal of fun learning the basics of the game and getting my ass handed to me online. I've somewhat fallen out of my Street Fighter playing, but looking back I can say that I enjoyed my time getting destroyed by Street Fighter veterans.

8. Fallout 3

Fallout 3 was my game of the year for 2008 and deserves another spot on this list. Sure it was a game from last year, but thanks to a constant feed of downloadable content, I kept going back to the wasteland. More games need to get the same treatment as Fallout and by that I mean extending the game through well made new content. The new expansions may not have been the longest downloadable add ons, but they offered a taste of something new, while retaining the great Fallout 3 experience.

9. Grand Theft Auto IV

Again, another game from 2008. Like the previously listed Fallout 3, Grand Theft Auto IV's downloadable content was a great addition to the original game. The first expansions pack, The Lost & Damned, was a change of pace from Niko Bellic's journey of revenge. The typical Grand Theft Auto cast of great characters is present and small additions improved on the original gameplay.

10. Borderlands

Some may be surprised to see Borderlands so far down the list, but I was somewhat let down by Borderlands. Obviously not too let down, as it is featured on this list, but I had higher expectations. Borderlands' mix of first person shooter and role playing game is a great hybrid and does what many games have failed to achieve. This balance offers great gameplay that can be enjoyed whether you choose to play alone or with a group. A bazillion guns and scaled enemies in additional playtrhoughs makes Borderlands one of the longest lasting games of 2009.

I am aware that this list is missing a few great titles from this year, but currently only having an Xbox 360 somewhat limits the games I have access to.
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By breadfan

Breadfan's Top Ten Games of 2009

Well it's that time again Giant Bombers.  The time to take stock of the year that has been and look forward to 2010.  This year has been ripe with great games, many of which took me by complete surprise.  Now, I have been mixing around and interchanging this list for a while, but I have finally settled on a list that I am comfortable supporting.  

1. Dragon Age: Origins

Dragon Age is a game that was low on my radar for a long time. All I needed to know was that it was being made by Bioware, but I wasn't too excited about it up until it actually came out. I am going to be honest here and admit that I have not finished the game yet, but I can definitely say that this is my game of the year. Though I have not completed the game, I have put in a hefty amount of time into playing the game. There is just so much to do and see in Dragon Age, whether it be doing side quests for random villagers or making strides with the almost everlasting main quest. Dragon Age has become one of my favorite role playing games of all time and I can see myself playing the game over and over even into next year.

2. Modern Warfare 2

Everyone knows about the massive amount of hype put behind Modern Warfare 2 and I was a little weary of the game because of this. However I was not let down at all. Modern Warfare 2's story, though bordering on the fringes of a Tom Clancy novel, is one of the most intense experiences I have ever had in a video game this year. I just could not put down the controller because I wanted to get to the next 'oh my god!' moment that was in store. Along with the superb single player campaign, the online multiplayer is where this game really shines. Infinity Ward made great improvements over Call of Duty 4's multiplayer and is one of the best multiplayer shooters I have ever played.

3. Torchlight

A game made by the same dudes who made Diablo, one of my favorite games of all time? Count me in. Everything about this game is excellent and for the price there is a whole lot of value to be had. I had never even heard of Torchlight up until I saw Giant Bomb's Quick Look and I instantly went onto Steam and purchased it. As I mentioned previously, I love me some Diablo. I do not even want to think about the amount of time Diablo II has stolen from my life as I collected loot, loot, and more loot. Torchlight may not boast any robust multiplayer, but who needs it really. Sure dungeon crawling with a group of friends is great, but there is a purity to Torchlight.

4. Left 4 Dead 2

Left 4 Dead was one of my top games of 2008 and Left 4 Dead 2 being an improvement on the original, is by far one of my top games of 2009. There has been some frustration and 'controversy' about Valve releasing Left 4 Dead 2 so soon, but anyone who is still harping on that fact needs to play the game first. Whether it be the simple addition of melee weapons, better campaigns, or new infected, Left 4 Dead 2 delivers. Aside from the game's five new campaigns the new mode, Scavenge,offers a shorter experience than the usual Left 4 Dead versus mode, but what an intense few minutes those rounds can be. Grabbing a gasoline can and rushing back to the generator, constantly looking behind you for a swarm of zombies is a form of masochistic fun that only Left 4 Dead can produce.

5. Shadow Complex

I have never been a big classic Metroid fan, so when I first heard of Shadow Complex I was barely interested. However once I actually played the demo on Xbox Live I knew I had to get it. There was something about exploring in Shadow Complex that offered a great amount of value for the game's low price. Over the year I have played more Shadow Complex, a $15 arcade game, than some full priced retail games. Even after I beat the game for the first time, I immediately jumped into a new game and began the adventure all over again.

6. Resident Evil 5

Okay, okay I can hear some people now. "What! How is this game on your list?" Resident Evil 5 may not have expanded much on Resident Evil 4's formula of run, aim, and shoot style of gameplay, but it was a damned good game. I played through the game's campaign at least three times cooperatively and it was a blast every single time. Unlocking and upgrading guns was one of the things that kept me coming back, but overall I just had some great moments playing Resident Evil 5 this year.

7. Street Fighter IV

I've always been somewhat of a casual fighting game fan. I grew up during the decline of the arcade era and had few proper experiences with Street Fighter, aside from popping in some quarters at the movie theater, but Street Fighter IV is one of the best fighters I have ever played. Even being something of a fighting game scrub, I had a great deal of fun learning the basics of the game and getting my ass handed to me online. I've somewhat fallen out of my Street Fighter playing, but looking back I can say that I enjoyed my time getting destroyed by Street Fighter veterans.

8. Fallout 3

Fallout 3 was my game of the year for 2008 and deserves another spot on this list. Sure it was a game from last year, but thanks to a constant feed of downloadable content, I kept going back to the wasteland. More games need to get the same treatment as Fallout and by that I mean extending the game through well made new content. The new expansions may not have been the longest downloadable add ons, but they offered a taste of something new, while retaining the great Fallout 3 experience.

9. Grand Theft Auto IV

Again, another game from 2008. Like the previously listed Fallout 3, Grand Theft Auto IV's downloadable content was a great addition to the original game. The first expansions pack, The Lost & Damned, was a change of pace from Niko Bellic's journey of revenge. The typical Grand Theft Auto cast of great characters is present and small additions improved on the original gameplay.

10. Borderlands

Some may be surprised to see Borderlands so far down the list, but I was somewhat let down by Borderlands. Obviously not too let down, as it is featured on this list, but I had higher expectations. Borderlands' mix of first person shooter and role playing game is a great hybrid and does what many games have failed to achieve. This balance offers great gameplay that can be enjoyed whether you choose to play alone or with a group. A bazillion guns and scaled enemies in additional playtrhoughs makes Borderlands one of the longest lasting games of 2009.

I am aware that this list is missing a few great titles from this year, but currently only having an Xbox 360 somewhat limits the games I have access to.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

I'm not sure why I suddenly got interested in Dragon Age: Origins. It's probably because I was aching for another fantasy RPG every since I burned about 100 hours in Oblivion. It took my a while to get sold on the combat, but I like the thought of getting through fights using tactics rather than mashing on some buttons over and over again.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By cstrang

Good list.  Definitely some heavy-hitting titles.  Obviously, mine is going to be different, but I can see where you are coming from.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By Yummylee

Borderlands would definatley take a spot on my top 10 games of this year too. Maybe even down the line from number 10 at that too. 
Its been one of my most addicting games this year, and I haven't played DA:O yet =P, and while the overall quest line is pretty bland, i still loved the fact of having my character grow but growing via the help of some very reliable shooting gameplay. 
I stil haven't even had a 4 player run yet either @.@ I've mostly been soloing through the game with the occasional split-screen.
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By breadfan
@natetodamax Dragon Age will not disappoint.  The combat may take a little getting used to, depending on your previous experience with these sorts of RPGs, but it is satisfying when you complete a large, tough battle.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By natetodamax
@Br3adfan: Which would be better for a first playthrough, a Mage or a Warrior? I usually play as the latter for a first playthrough in these games, but the Mage seems more interesting to me.
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By breadfan
@Abyssfull I agree with you about the main quest, but the game is a ton of fun.  Since only one of my friends has the game, who's copy I borrowed, I figured the game would be very boring to play alone.  However that was not the case.  Soling the game is fun, but not as fun as it would be with a group of friends.
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By breadfan
@natetodamax I am currently playing as a warrior, as they are usually the most noob friendly class in RPGs.  I'd go through whatever you think you would prefer more, but I will say this.  Dragon Age offers plenty of replay value so you will not have any doubts going back and trying out some different class or races.
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Geno

Batman omg where is Batman??? 

*faints*

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By ArchScabby

You must have made a typo.  

I don't see Arkham Asylum anywhere on that list.  But don't worry, you go back and edit your post!

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By breadfan
@Geno 
@ArchScabby 

I know!  I left a glaring omission in my list, but I have not played the game yet.  I have heard great things about Batman, but I just have no urge to play it.  I can see myself playing it sometime early next year and regretting playing it so late. 
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By Claude

I've seen Torchlight on a few lists... interesting.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Geno
@Br3adfan said:
" @Geno 
@ArchScabby  I know!  I left a glaring omission in my list, but I have not played the game yet.  I have heard great things about Batman, but I just have no urge to play it.  I can see myself playing it sometime early next year and regretting playing it so late.  "
Hurry! I heard if you don't play it Batman will come to your house and hunt you down.  

But you didn't hear that from me. 
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By breadfan
@Geno Oh man, I better get to playing that game soon!  I'm actually planning on getting Batman before this year is over with, so maybe I will revise this list soon.
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By breadfan
@Claude Torchlight is one of the year's biggest surprises for me.  Definitely was not expecting something like it, especially since I am a huge Diablo fan.
sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#16  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I can't wait to play some Torchlight and Dragon Age.  Both look like they're loads of fun.
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By breadfan
@Sparky_Buzzsaw They are both very good games, you'll enjoy them.