Breaking into game journalism.

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Jambones

Okay, so recently I have been discovering the joys of language and grammar, and getting a big kick out of the notion of commicating ideas and so on. In fact, I think I've read more books in the last year than I have in the rest of my life. But with this in mind, I want to achieve something meaningful with this interest.
While this type of journalism probably does not seem meaningful to most onlookers, I think about games and gaming truely reaching across cultures and countries, almost like music. The very image of Mario resonates with so many, and is a generational touchstone.

I play Urban Terror most nights with guys from Spain, Germany, Russia, Korea, Australia, and it blows my mind. (The pings are totally jacked and we generally cannot understand each other, granted, but it's playable :-))

So I guess I am asking for a spot of guidence, encouragement, and I just want to hear peoples thoughts about the current state of the Industry's coverage.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#2  Edited By AgentJ

First of all, i'd recommend entering the field as whatever sort of writer you can, instead of being limited to games. I'm currently a sports writer for my colleges newspaper, and while i dont really think i want to go into games journalism, that path is more likely to be open to me when i have a resume of work under my belt

mrbiggie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By mrbiggie

Well according to your avatar... "you need to get your ass to mars!"

All kidding aside I also agree with Agent that it's key not to limit yourself.  Also, take advantage of the internet.  Create a blog, create a website and get your stuff out there.