#1 Edited by JMan240 (57 posts) -

I have a confession, I've created something horrifying, and it all started with me trying to learn Blender. For those of you unfamiliar with Blender, it is an open-sourced and free 3D modeling engine. It's a great tool, and I've had a good bit of fun playing around in it while I've been learning the basics over the last few weeks. The results of this little project mark the first time I've done anything more than make and extrude basic geometry. I hadn't created a sword, much less someone's face.

I didn't want to waste time doing something I cared about messing up, so I decided it would be fun to follow a face modeling tutorial, using Brad's face as the reference, with the intent of grafting the final project onto a Dota 2 model. Unfortunately, the only good reference I had was a profile image, and the front facing one was him peaking over a shoulder. Combined with a low poly count, the model isn't the greatest thing ever created but as my first ever Blender creation I'm both happy and horrified by it. The side view turned out much better than the front view in my opinion, but I'd only put it on a Kinect Sports Rivals or EA face scan level of accuracy.

And to haunt your nightmares, the model hastily textured with a stretched out image.

So, with my model complete, I grabbed a model from the Dota 2 workshop and started the grafting process. (I really should have chose Nature's Prophet instead of Rikimaru, but I didn't feel like going back and getting NP's model just to test something out.) In about 30 minutes, I had this... thing:

Yes, I plan to texture it and load it into the Dota 2 test scenarios. I have no idea how to do texturing, and I doubt I'll be able to make something even remotely passable in a day, as I did with the model, but I'm confident I can get it done, even if I have to chop up the normal Riki textures to get it done.

I really hope this doesn't make anyone unable to sleep tonight.

(I'd love to redo this with more accurate sources but I doubt that's going to happen and this has already turned out WAY creepier than I originally thought it would.)

Edit: Because it was asked for, here's the exported obj file. I'm not sure if it exported correctly, but here ya go.

And here's the face alone on Dropbox.

#2 Posted by TooWalrus (13255 posts) -

I didn't know what a Rikimaru was, I was expecting something a lot more adorable.

#3 Posted by ElixirBronze (443 posts) -

I.. uh.. this is.. hm.. what?

#4 Edited by Sgtpierceface (639 posts) -

Are there really no other mailbags where Brad looks at the camera?

#5 Edited by development (2573 posts) -

I was expecting this guy

#6 Posted by JMan240 (57 posts) -

@sgtpierceface: There almost definitely are, but most of them don't have him head on and for a silly project I didn't feel like digging through hours of video.

#7 Edited by JMan240 (57 posts) -
#8 Edited by ViciousReiven (821 posts) -

Ooh, could you upload the model file? I'd like to mess around with it as I've been learning stuff as well (different program though).

Any filetype should work, as long as you're exporting the model and not just saving the project.

#9 Edited by JMan240 (57 posts) -

@viciousreiven: Sure, I'll put it in a drop box I guess. It's probably gonna be obj, because I haven't figured out how to export to smd in blender - there's some setting I need to fiddle with.

Edit: I've added the drop box link to the end of the post, it's obj. If something jacked up with it, let me know.

#10 Edited by Cretaceous_Bob (527 posts) -

For people who don't know, Riki is a Dota 2 character whose primary role is to appear out of nowhere and shank the shit out of your back, so having this monstrosity all of a sudden appear out of nowhere would be quite frightening.

#11 Posted by JMan240 (57 posts) -

For people who don't know, Riki is a Dota 2 character whose primary role is to appear out of nowhere and shank the shit out of your back, so having this monstrosity all of a sudden appear out of nowhere would be quite frightening.

Imagine this being the last thing you see before you die.

#12 Posted by Spoonman671 (4751 posts) -

I was expecting this guy

I'm equally disappointed.

#13 Posted by Pie (7110 posts) -

Wowowow. What a monster you have created

#14 Posted by Humanity (9871 posts) -

What has science wrought..

#15 Edited by ViciousReiven (821 posts) -

Hard to find a good shot of brad to use as a texture, looked creepy so I rolled with it.

#16 Posted by JMan240 (57 posts) -

Holy shit...

#17 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6004 posts) -
#18 Edited by Encephalon (1315 posts) -

Clearly I'm uninformed on what a Rikimaru even is. I just thought it was that shitty mascot character from Xenoblade, but I guess he's just named Riki.

#19 Edited by ViciousReiven (821 posts) -

So uh I decided to play around some more, I like doing low-poly art in 3D so I turned Brad's face into a cyberpunk computer god, and/or a prog rock album cover:

#20 Posted by phampire (289 posts) -

I never liked the word "grafting" but it's almost too perfect of a word for what you have done here. The low poly model is less terrifying and pretty neat.

#21 Posted by ajamafalous (12129 posts) -

@spoonman671 said:

@development said:

I was expecting this guy

I'm equally disappointed.

Indeed.

The DotA character is actually named after him (that's Tenchu right? been a while); that's why his name is just Riki in Dota 2.

#22 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1467 posts) -

Aw, I read that as Bradlakkuma (Brad's face on Rilakkuma).

#23 Edited by billymagnum (837 posts) -

*reads through thread*

#24 Posted by The_Nubster (2323 posts) -

@billymagnum: GB can be super-creepy sometimes, but it's all out of love... a sick, twisted, love that will forever go unanswered.

#25 Posted by billymagnum (837 posts) -

@billymagnum: GB can be super-creepy sometimes, but it's all out of love... a sick, twisted, love that will forever go unanswered.

#26 Posted by MachoFantastico (4863 posts) -

I'm officially disturbed!

#27 Posted by development (2573 posts) -
#28 Edited by JMan240 (57 posts) -

I think I might need to thin his nose down seeing how it looks when textured. Thanks for doing that Viscious, whatever settings or programming you're using has better lighting options than what I've figured out in Blender.

I'll also repolly around the mouth, because that appears to have gone wonky when I was messing around with his expression and failed.

#29 Edited by RazielCuts (2984 posts) -
#30 Edited by JMan240 (57 posts) -

I thinned the model's nose and played around with the mouth a bit, think it looks better.

#31 Posted by Corevi (4433 posts) -

Wow, Blender seems a lot easier to use now than when I was in high school. I might have to mess around with this, even if that means reinstalling Dota, also can we get just Brad's face as a model? Kinda want to put it on every TF2 character and Alex Vance.

#32 Posted by JMan240 (57 posts) -

Wow, Blender seems a lot easier to use now than when I was in high school. I might have to mess around with this, even if that means reinstalling Dota, also can we get just Brad's face as a model? Kinda want to put it on every TF2 character and Alex Vance.

You should be able to play around with the model outside of Dota using Blender. And the face model is in a dropbox in the original post, I just repollyed around the mouth and thinned the nose from the front view this morning though, and that model hasn't been updated because the face I uploaded is a different model.

#33 Posted by Corevi (4433 posts) -

@jman240: thats Briki with the Riki model attached, I just want the face since he seems to have merged the 2 in that one and I can't get it off.

#34 Posted by JMan240 (57 posts) -

@corruptedevil:

Oh, I thought I uploaded just the face. Well, I'll get the face up sometime soon. I'm working on something right now, but I'll throw it up separately in a little bit. I've got to tweak it to match what I did to the face this morning as well.

#35 Edited by White (1403 posts) -

I'm not here to insult, but I bet this would be a common reaction to many who read this thread

#36 Posted by ViciousReiven (821 posts) -

@jman240:

Ah I thought you added the character on purpose, I had to crop out the face when I did my junk. :p

#37 Posted by Splodge (1861 posts) -

- Change every DOTA chars face to Brad

- Any without faces, give them a nighty and some ZZZZ

- Brad announcer pack

- ???

- PROFIT

#38 Posted by Pingu44 (106 posts) -

Why isn't there a Brad announcer pack?

You have fancy recording equipment and people who are qualified to use it, can't you make a call to Erik Wolpaw or something Brad?

#39 Posted by JMan240 (57 posts) -

@splodge: You've figured me out! Don't tell anyone.

#40 Edited by JMan240 (57 posts) -

I slightly tweaked the original brad face model to get rid of the more noticeable creases around his mouth (hopefully I got that right) and slim the nose down because it was way too big from the side. I also posted the face alone on drop box at @corruptedevil's request.