Bring back the old karma [+/-] system?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Alexander
Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Alexander

A while ago Coonce let us all know that the [+/-] was being got rid of.

The reason being that it didn't work as a means for moderation because it was a system open to abuse and "not very effective in reporting questionable/objectionable content to the moderators."

That's true, it was a completely useless in that regard however I never saw it that way and I fail to see how anyone thought it would work as a means for moderation.

It was great for knowing what the general opinion of Giant Bomb users was toward another opinion, point of view, blog post, amusing image etc. etc. etc. it meant if I thought someone posted something funny I could give them a + without the need to waste my time with posts like "that's funny" and my time wouldn't be wasted by people quoting the damn image as well as saying "that's funny". Another, better, example is where I think a post is simply stupid. Before I could express my disdain with a - rather than having to bump that thread. Example.

In relation to moderation, I am happy that things here are a little more relaxed and am happy for a thread like that to exist, I would rather give a thumbs down rather than bump the thread or have it locked.

What do people here think?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#3  Edited By LordAndrew

The problem is that regardless of how well-written a post is or how good an idea is, people are going to neg posts they don't agree with instead of explaining why they disagree. I've seen it happen a lot, especially with unpopular users like SmugDarkLoser.

rinkalicous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By rinkalicous

I admit I liked it (getting +18 on one of my posts made me feel warm inside) but LordAndrew brings up some good points. That being said, if the number is meaningless apart from itself, does it really matter if people downvote things they don't agree with? It could still be used as a nice way to get the general consensus of posts.

Personally, I vote yes.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By oldschool

Do you miss your stalkers Alex? 

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By penguindust

I think what is missed is a way to quickly give credit to people who post something worth reading within a thread.  The new system fixes the problem of people abusing the system negatively but does nothing to help people who want to quickly give a virtual "right on!" to someone's post. 

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Hamz

We already have had a popular and lengthy debate / discussion over the old community ratings tool and its removal.

Check it out here.