Buying a PC - is this a good purchase?

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Lashe

So I've been out of the PC world for a good long time now, and I'm in the market for a machine that I will mainly use for composing/recording and mixing tracks. Ideally I would buy a Mac for such activities, but ideally I would also win the lottery haha.  

I found this tower online for what I thought was a pretty good price, but I have no idea about a few key things. I mean, has Quad Core come into its own now? Would I be just as good with a Dual? And is a 9500 a decent enough card for rendering wave spectra pretty promptly?  

I probably sound like a dinosaur here but I really have been out the game for a while now with regards to PCs haha. 

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ninjakiller

Power supply seems pretty weaksauce, everything else is ok.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

How many VST/DX plugins do you use? If it's not that many, you probably don't need a quad core. That said, if your DAW supports quad cores, then it definitely can't hurt to have one. My dual core E8400 is under 50% load constantly in a project with 4-5 tracks in Sonar. That said, there are about 4-5 instances of Guitar Rig, some compressors, a few synth VSTs etc all loaded at once... so needless to say I haven't optimised my project whatsoever. For someone with a bit more experience in that regard, it probably wouldn't be too bad at all.

The 9500 won't play games very well at all, but it should do what you want to do just fine.

As the above said, the PSU is a bit weak. Couldn't hurt to upgrade to the 500W.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Lashe
@Khann: Cheers man. Chances are I'll be using quite a few VSTs to say the least, I record and compose for orchestra and large ensembles most of the time so I like to have the choice to load the thing up. I'll have to check up and see if Pro Tools/Cubase support Quad though. Seems like a needless waste of money if they don't. Would the 500w upgrade be enough -- would the 700w be overkill?
Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Kblt
@Lashe: 700w would be way overkill, it's something used to run 2 ATi cards in CrossfireX or two Nvidias in SLI.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Kblt said:

" @Lashe: 700w would be way overkill, it's something used to run 2 ATi cards in CrossfireX or two Nvidias in SLI. "

Yeah it's really not necessary. You could get it if you want... definitely wouldn't hurt at all (I say that a lot, huh?), but if you really don't have a lot of cash to throw around, you don't need to at all; the 500w will definitely do the job just fine. The only real reason to upgrade to the 700w is future-proofing; if you decide to upgrade your PC later on, chances are the PSU wouldn't be a weak link if you had the 700w.

That said, a 700w PSU would likely be cheaper later down the line when you choose to upgrade.

In summary, the 500w will run your system no worries at all.... even the 400w would run it, but I know if it was my system, I'd feel safer with a 500w. Only get the 700w if you have some cash you want to blow.
Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Lashe

Awesome stuff, cheers guys. Will be ordering this one up with the 500w then in the next few weeks!

cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By cinemandrew
@Lashe: More memory would be nice if you're doing any kind of rendering (audio, video, or photos). I'd also see if you can afford an i5 or i7 processor instead of a core 2 quad. 500w is totally fine for your system though. Only upgrade if you have the money to burn (like Khann said), or if you think you're going to be doing some serious upgrades down the line.
Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Lashe
@cinemandrew: an i5 or i7 would be great to be sure, but they're a little out my budget to say the least -- life of a student, bane of my existence! A memory upgrade can be added as and when I need it I reckon though -- when I last checked 4gb RAM wasn't too bad for audio rendering haha but I may be just behind on the times. 
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By JJWeatherman
@Lashe said:
" @cinemandrew: an i5 or i7 would be great to be sure, but they're a little out my budget to say the least -- life of a student, bane of my existence! A memory upgrade can be added as and when I need it I reckon though -- when I last checked 4gb RAM wasn't too bad for audio rendering haha but I may be just behind on the times.  "
I think 4 gigs of RAM is fine. Especially since it's DDR3, so it's pretty quick.
scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By scroll

I'd recommend getting a 650w PSU and maybe a slightly better GPU then that's pretty much set to go.

And of if you really wanted you could get an i5 CPU, the benefit wouldn't be immediate but it would future proof it abit. Not bad at £150 really, I can understand the budget constraints being a student myself but it's worth a few shifts working at the SU IMO.

Also: I've got a Q660 and I've hardly noticed the benefits for gaming but there are a few titles where I get a few extra FPS.