Avatar image for cairnsythebeard
CairnsyTheBeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 22

Hi!

I no longer buy physical games, I haven't for a while as I love the benefits of having space in my small room, not losing or scratching discs and the convenience of having games at my fingertips. I have been spoiled by Steam.

I want a Wii U, so when I went to look at the price of UK Wii U games in the eShop my jaw hit the floor. First of all, fuck all games are available in the UK eShop, also the games are ridiculously expensive compared to the US shop. For example The Wonderful 101 costs £39.99 ($62.22) in the UK eShop but only £19.28 ($29.99) in the US eShop. I'm unwilling to roll over and buy physical copies, therefore I will have to ship an NTSC Wii U over to the UK to use the store as the fucking thing is region locked.

This is where things get confusing and I was hoping for a little help:

• Will a third party replacement UK mains power cord be good enough to power the console or will it explode in my face?
  • Will a UK Wii U charging cradle be compatible with the US gamepad?
  • Will the video signal be compatible with UK TVs? Or is that whole thing a thing of the past?
  • Will the US Wii U launch the american eShop in the UK? Or will I have to also use a VPN or other crazy shit?
  • Can I use my UK billing address to pay for games on the US eShop? Or can I use PayPal? Or will I have to buy gift vouchers?
  • Will multiplayer games be a problem as i'm playing the US version from the UK? Will it use US servers for example?
  • Will I be able to use other apps like Netflix? Will they use the US or UK version?
  • If the gamepad breaks, will a UK replacement be compatible?

By my estimations the costs will include:

• A US Wii U + Shipping £270 ($420)
  • A UK Power cord £20 ($31)
  • A UK Charging Cradle £8 ($13)
  • An external HDD for eShop games £60 ($93)
  • Total: £358 ($557)

Thanks very much, hopefully any info will be helpful to others as well, oh and Nintendo needs to get their shit together!

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

No clue about most of this stuff as I don't live in the UK/ have never imported a Wii U but I do know that HDMI is universal so you won't have any video signal issues.

CairnsyTheBeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CairnsyTheBeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone who went through importing and has any tips is welcome to comment, thanks!

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Nintendo needs to get their shit together!

Agreed. Their archaic region locking policy is the only reason I didn't snatch up a WiiU ages ago. That and I live in Korea and it did so poorly elsewhere, the release here seems to have been indefinitely postponed..

CairnsyTheBeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CairnsyTheBeard

@sinusoidal: Fuck, that must be rough, guess it's not quite so bad here!

ShadowMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@cairnsythebeard: Hi, I went through a similar process with my Wii but not a WiiU. I imagine the process is similar however. The reason I did so was mostly for N64 games running at 60Hz rather than 50Hz (the US store had 60Hz games, the UK store still has 50Hz games - same issue on PSN for PS1 games). I have also modded it so it can play UK games. My responses to your questions below (again, this is in regards to a Wii but I imagine it is similar):

Overall It was worth it with my Wii since I wanted older games at 60Hz off the eshop rather than slower 50Hz games and that's what I got. Through the mod I could still buy cheap physical games off amazon thankfully and play US only releases like Trauma Centre. Oddly the mod wouldn't allow UK Gamecube games but I have a Gamecube still hooked up anyway so I was not too bothered (and the GC boots right away while on Wii you need to navigate to a menu and change bloody controllers!) Would I do it again however for a WiiU? Probably not since I got my old games on the Wii @60Hz and thankfully on PS3 US versions of PS1 games if you create a US account (even with a UK PS3). But I'm not really cost-limited and I like physical copies for some games so my situation is different from yours. Please let me know how it goes since I'm interested in multi-region games and gaming for the optimal experience (even though it can be a pain in the ass and not worth it sometimes!). Let me know if you have any questions.

Young_Scott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Young_Scott

@cairnsythebeard

As it happens, I think I'm pretty much exactly who you want to speak to in this situation! I live in sunny Ayrshire, Scotland, and the only PAL console I have hooked up is my Xbox 360; my Wii, Wii U and 3DS (and about a half-dozen others) are NTSC-U, and I'm locked into the US Nintendo eShop.

My NTSC-U Wii U arrived about two weeks ago, and I finally got to hook it up on Christmas day. I've been through this process many, many times going back to 2002, and so I've dealt with all the major issues: voltage differences; RGB and NTSC60/PAL60/PAL50 (back in the SD/<576i days); import tax and shipping; etc. etc. People used to think I was mad, but their tone changed when they saw how much earlier I got exclusives (I was playing Smash Bros, Metroid Prime and Animal Crossing between 6 months to literal years before they hit the PAL market) and how much you can potentially save, if you're careful!

I'm working on a massive post to tackle each of your questions one-by-one, and then I'll add a little bit of my own advice. Give me an hour or two!

EDIT: Looks like @shadowmountain covered most of the major points, but I do have one or two things to add that are unique to the Wii U situation.

CairnsyTheBeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@young_scott: @shadowmountain: Thank you very much, both of you! I had no idea i was getting PAL ps1 classics on my ps3 as well! The scoundrels! I'm looking forward to your hearing about your experiences @young_scott !

ShadowMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@young_scott: Do go ahead with you full reply if you have the time, you sound more experienced than me and its good to share this information!

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had no idea i was getting PAL ps1 classics on my ps3 as well! The scoundrels!

Luckily the PS3 is completely region free so if you wanted the NTSC versions of games you can just get them by making a US PSN account and using Paypal to buy them.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinusoidal: Fuck, that must be rough, guess it's not quite so bad here!

Yeah, it might actually have something to do with the DS selling more units than games here at one point (something like 700'000 DSes sold and 500'000 games sold.) Piracy is rampant.

CairnsyTheBeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi: As it turns out, i've already done that for US exclusive psn games, still had no idea they used different versions!

Young_Scott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Young_Scott

@cairnsythebeard,

Alrighty, here we go!

• Will a third party replacement UK mains power cord be good enough to power the console or will it explode in my face?

From my understanding, yes, but I might recommend paying a couple of £ more for an official Nintendo EUR unit; I've had third-party external power supplies be a little flaky. I picked up an official, 220v EUR Wii power supply for my NTSC Wii, and because it's an external power supply regulating the UK current to a 110v device, it works a charm.

I assume you know the general dangers of plugging a 110v device into a 220v outlet. Typically, yes, they will burn out and completely fry the device, rendering your $300 console a paper-weight. I remember many people destroying USA DreamCasts this way back in the day. Always, always check the labelling on your devices; if the power supply is internal (labelled on the console itself) and says 110v, or is external and says 110v, you will need either a step-down transformer with sufficient wattage to handle the console (see @shadowmountain's post), or a localised external power supply for the console. Unfortunately, you'd normally need two step-downs (or two external power supplies) for the Wii U, between one for the console and one for the GamePad...

However, there is an extremely-bizarre exception that concerns the NTSC-USA Wii U that could save you quite a bit of money if you're careful. Both my "110V only"-labled power supplies for both the Wii U console and the GamePad charger are actually dual-voltage inside, and I'm not the only one.

I simply have both adapters plugged into a UK outlet with some cheapo 2 flat-prong to 3-UK prong travel adapters. I would normally never, ever recommend just hooking up a 110v device this way unless I KNEW the console has an internal/external, switching dual-voltage power supply (ala most NTSC PS3 units, believe it or not), but I did some multimetre tests on my own Wii U supplies and they're fine and dandy at 220v. Your milage may vary, so if you're not willing to take the risk, pay the extra for some UK power supplies or get two quality step-down transformers.

• Will a UK Wii U charging cradle be compatible with the US gamepad?

See my previous reply, basically. I'm using my 110v US supply no problem, but you may want to take the safer options mentioned above.

• Will the video signal be compatible with UK TVs? Or is that whole thing a thing of the past?

Though 1080i 50Hz does technically exist here in Europe (and is used on many FreeView HD channels and BBC Blu-rays), the HD era has basically removed the age old PAL/NTSC/SECAM problem in the majority of cases where HDMI is involved. Near as I can tell, everything on my Wii U is outputting at 720/1080p @ 60Hz, so if your display supports that via HDMI (it should!), you're good to go.

Heads-up if you're using an older surround-sound system, though; the Wii U doesn't have an optical out, and only outputs unencoded direct five-channel via HDMI. Otherwise, you'll have to send audio through a classic A/V out cable for Dolby Pro Logic II or pass that through an optical out on your TV (but it won't be true five-channel unless your set can decode and pass that through that in some way).

• Will the US Wii U launch the american eShop in the UK? Or will I have to also use a VPN or other crazy shit?

Thankfully, it doesn't look like Nintendo bother with any IP checks, so as with my NTSC-U 3DS, it sure does! Hell, I was able to transfer my Nintendo Wii Shop purchases and game saves from my NTSC Wii to the internal virtual Wii on the new Wii U, and the USA eShop even recognises the games that I'm eligible for a discounted Wii U upgrade on (such as Super Metroid).

... that was possibly a confusing sentence!

• Can I use my UK billing address to pay for games on the US eShop? Or can I use PayPal? Or will I have to buy gift vouchers?

While I haven't actively tried this on the Wii U yet, this IS normally a problem. You can get away with faking a USA address on the Nintendo Network/Club Nintendo by entering the ZIP code of a Wal*Mart or something, but debit/credit card purchases almost certainly require a real address.

Unlike the USA PSN, which now supports PayPal (though they may do address checks too, so I still stick to points), the eShop doesn't support PayPal quite yet to my knowledge. Once again, I'll second @shadowmountain's recommendation: grab pre-paid USA eShop points cards from eBay or elsewhere. If you like, I can PM you a link to the suppliers I use.

• Will multiplayer games be a problem as i'm playing the US version from the UK? Will it use US servers for example?

I've never had an issue with this on past systems, though I still need to test it on the Wii U (Smash Bros. is still somewhere in the post). On my USA 3DS and Wii, it just connects me to the USA servers, and I login to the Wii U itself through my USA Nintendo Network ID.

• Will I be able to use other apps like Netflix? Will they use the US or UK version?

I think this will apply on an app-by-app basis, but Netflix definitely works, and I assume you'll be able to get most others working somehow. Netflix does do IP checking, so it bounces me straight to the login for my UK Netflix account (complete with "Watch TV programmes and films anytime, just £6.99 a month" ad on my GamePad). I'd be curious to see if something like Crunchyroll would let me through, but I don't have a sub.

• If the gamepad breaks, will a UK replacement be compatible?

I assumed this wouldn't be an issue (accessories are generally region-free, and Wii U Pro Controllers apparently work no problem across region), but I hear that due to some bizarre WiFi standard differences between PAL and NTSC regions, GamePads may now be region-locked. Lame!

Now! For some additional info about costs, and my experience with import taxes...

Living in the UK, you're probably aware that we have to pay import tax at nearly the standard VAT rate on most imported goods.

However, this doesn't apply if the item is cheap enough, and under other conditions. Here's some general advice for importing games:

• Generally, if the item is valued at under $40-ish, customs will leave it alone.
  • Items shipped via un-tracked methods (for example, non-courier air mail), while taking longer to arrive, seem less likely to be examined by customs, if you want to risk that.
  • Items marked as "gift", with sufficient gift wrapping, can potentially avoid customs altogether (even for expensive items, like family gifts), but we're getting into gray legal territory here, so I'm not going to condone that! ;)

For more expensive items, like a console, you'll generally want to avoid being hit with import taxes at your door at all costs. And I don't mean just for trying to avoid import taxes, but because couriers in the UK generally slap on all sorts of nasty handling charges when taxes are involved! These are often ridiculous, like a £12+ "holding charge" and another £15+ "delivery charge", on top of the actual import tax you may owe.

Thankfully, eBay have a solution (of sorts) for more expensive items: the "Global Shipping Programme". This allows you to pay import taxes up-front, directly to eBay USA through PayPal, and when it gets to the UK, it's simply treated like a UK parcel. Not all sellers offer this, but more and more now do, and this is how I got my Wii U. It arrived in two weeks from the order date, and there were zero customs issues at the door.

If you're curious, here's how the costs break down for my recent NTSC Wii U purchase. Note: I stayed up until 5AM GMT to grab this Black Friday bundle price. They sold out in about eight minutes!

• Wii U 32GB Deluxe Bundle + Super Mario 3D World + Nintendo Land: $259.99 / £167.11
  • Delivery charges: $28.87 / £18.56
  • Import charges, direct to eBay through GSP: $62.19 / £39.97
    • Total (roughly): $351.04 / £225.64
  • Two USA to UK travel adapters: something like £5

If you have any further questions, or need clarification on anything I've said here, feel free to contact me.

CairnsyTheBeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@young_scott: THANK YOU A BUNCH! This is so helpful as it clarifies and confirms a lot for me. I have managed to find a new WiiU Premium on amazon USA for £212 where shipping and handling costs are only £8.33 for some reason (I have seen others for as much as £130), the estimated tax to be collected is £0 and the import fee deposit is £44.14 for a total of £264.82. Are there any other hidden costs that i'm not seeing here? Would a holding charge or delivery charge be added? Should I risk amazon or go with the ebay Global Shipping Programme you mentioned?

Also the whole voltage thing confuses me a bit! I cant actually find an official UK Nintendo external power supply for the Wii U in the UK. Do you think this would do? Would i need one for the console and one for the charging cradle? Should I look for even more expensive external power or go with step down transformers (I would rather not!). I would DEFINITELY rather not take ANY risks!

Also It would be useful to know any suppliers of eshop point cards!

Thank you again!

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Corevi

@cairnsythebeard: There will most likely be a customs charge of some kind but that'll be true of anywhere you order from.

CairnsyTheBeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi: Do you know how much that might be? Does it vary?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cairnsythebeard: It depends on where you live and it's based on the value of the item. Here (Canada) it would be about $50 for a Wii U.

CairnsyTheBeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok then, doesn't sound too bad, thanks

Young_Scott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Young_Scott

@cairnsythebeard:

Sadly, I have no experience with Amazon's own Amazon Global shipping programme, but it sounds similar to eBay's:

"With your authorisation, these funds will be used by the carrier or another agent to pay the Import Fees on your behalf (or the recipient's behalf) to the appropriate authorities of the destination country.

The payment of import fees is the responsibility of the importer and is levied based on the laws of the country into which the products are being delivered.

If the actual Import Fees (paid by the carrier on behalf of the recipient to the customs and tax authorities of the destination country) are less than the Import Fees Deposit collected by us on your behalf, you'll automatically be refunded the difference to the payment method you used for the order. You'll receive a notification e-mail to confirm the amount of the refund. The process takes 60 days from the dispatch date."

£8.33 + £44.14 doesn't sound too far off of my £18.56 + £39.97, so it's probably legitimate, but I make no promises. It's up to you if you want to try that over eBay! If you do go eBay US, remember that not all sellers offer GSP, though many do.

Just to clarify, by paying the import taxes up-front to eBay, I had NO additional import or handling charges when the Wii U arrived in the UK. It was, effectively, a UK parcel.

Regarding the power supplies...

The external power supply you've linked should work just fine, but like I said, it's better to try and find the official EUR unit as third party units might be a little unreliable long-term. I would have thought that the Official Nintendo UK Store would stock the official EUR power units, but sadly not! I don't see any EUR units currently on eBay, but I have seen then before. I guess your option for the moment is to either go with the third-party adapter, invest in a step-down, or risk plugging in the USA unit.

The charging cradle is the second power supply I mentioned above for the GamePad (the GamePad cable just plugs into the back of the cradle), so you will either need a UK one of those, a step-down transformer, or risk plugging in the USA one. Thankfully, the Official Nintendo UK Store does stock replacement GamePad cradles and chargers.

I'll send you a PM about the points cards.

CairnsyTheBeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@young_scott: Cheers! I'll look around for official power supplies I think, and use a step down. I will wait until my next pay day to do this as it's adding up to be more costly than I expected, but I will post back here with news of success or (hopefully not) failure! Have a good new years!

Young_Scott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cairnsythebeard: Cool stuff. You don't need to use a step-down transformer AND a UK external power supply each for both the Wii U console and GamePad, though. Just either the USA supply and the step-down (or not if you want to risk that), or just a UK external power supply. The Wii U and GamePad/charging cradle do use one power supply each, though. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

CairnsyTheBeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CairnsyTheBeard

@young_scott: Sorry, my bad, I meant I'll look for an official one and get a step down if I cant find one!