Buying new PC. Is this one good?

NFLD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

My 8yr old desktop just died. I found this computer on a website for a store near me. As much as I play games I'm not knowledgeable about computer specs please let me know how it stacks up. ASUS intel i7-4770 3.4ghz 2tb hdd 12gb ram nvidia gt650 $969 Canadian. What kind of performance can I expect? Could I play Farcry 3 at max settings?

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By GaspoweR

Someone else can probably be able to say for sure but I doubt you can play at Max settings but it is still playable at lower settings. Also as other people will inevitably point out, it'll be cheaper if you built a rig and you can get a better video card as well for around the same price range for the total budget. Can you post a link to the desktop if possible?

EDIT: Good mid range cards if you find the GTX 770 (as Pr1mus suggested) to be a bit pricey is to go for the Nvidia Geforce GTX 760 or AMD Radeon R9 270/270x. It's a tier lower than the 770 and are probably at the US $200-$280 range.

Also from the link @kidavenger sent (thank you sir!) it looks more like a media/home theater PC. You can use it for gaming BUT at that price range it is still pretty pricey from what you are getting out of it.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Too expensive. No point in that good of a CPU with a video card like this. No point in an i7 for games in general, cut back on the CPU and invest in a better video card. If you don't want to worry about having to upgrade for a couple years i wouldn't go for less than a GTX 770.

For that price it would be interesting to know where you're buying. This sounds like a pre-built computer from best buy.

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

It is a pretty, "okay or meh" system by judging from the components. However, if you do not want a long detailed description, I can definitely tell you that specific card will not run Far Cry 3 at 1080p at sixty FPS with everything maxed out. It is an okay card, but make certain it is the 2 Gb version, not the 1 Gb version!

Also here is my two cents, these pre-made desktops tend to use low end (cheap) hardware. Like if you wanted to upgrade the graphics card, how would the PSU hold up? Cause I would guess that the PSU would be something around 300 W - 400 W, based on store bought desktops.

I would say that if you wanted to do medium gaming then it is fine. Or if you do not want to build your own (which is awesome just for learning experience) then it would okay to spend that kind of money.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SlashDance

I agree with Primus, too expensive and that graphics card is really no good.

ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By ericdrum

Even it being in Canadian dollars, it seems pretty high to me for the hardware you are getting. At 1080p and maxed out settings, you aren't going to get 60fps in FC3. I ran dual 670s when I played that game and I think I was running about 60fps.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#7  Edited By Kidavenger

I'm guessing this is what you are looking at, it's pretty much worthless for gaming, the most important component for gaming is the videocard, and a 650 is pretty close to the bottom of the barrel at this point and buying a computer built around a videocard like this probably will be a pain to upgrade in the future http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/asus-asus-desktop-pc-intel-i7-4770-2tb-hdd-12gb-ram-windows-8-m51ac-ca004s/10268368.aspx?path=f4780e87c7a4bbfa3e9b45340ea9f723en02

If you don't want to build your own, get one of these, they are over priced a bit, but they are actual gaming pcs http://pc.ncix.com/ncixpc_new/ncixpclist.cfm?categoryid=1011

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless you're looking to have a top of the line system, get a cheaper CPU with a better video card, you're bottlenecking yourself with that flimsy 650

NFLD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the replys. I would love to take the time to build but I just don't have the time. I'm in the go out right now and get it mind set anyways. It is 1Gb version of that card. However my last PC was 8yrs old had a Radeon HD 6000 series card in it which ended up burning out my motherboard and killing the PC says the computer shop. So I never really could play any graphics heavy games. Left for dead 2 ran so so on it. I'm just looking for a mid-range gaming PC to play things like company of heros2, farcry 3 and the like. I plan getting an Xbox 1 in a couple of months for the big name games anyways. That amount of money for the PC ain't a big deal for me but I don't want to get ripped off ether.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nfld said:

Thanks for the replys. I would love to take the time to build but I just don't have the time. I'm in the go out right now and get it mind set anyways. It is 1Gb version of that card. However my last PC was 8yrs old had a Radeon HD 6000 series card in it which ended up burning out my motherboard and killing the PC says the computer shop. So I never really could play any graphics heavy games. Left for dead 2 ran so so on it. I'm just looking for a mid-range gaming PC to play things like company of heros2, farcry 3 and the like. I plan getting an Xbox 1 in a couple of months for the big name games anyways. That amount of money for the PC ain't a big deal for me but I don't want to get ripped off ether.

If money is no object than the link @kidavenger provided on NCIX.ca have some pretty good builds with good cards and are also upgradable down the line.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ravelle

@gaspower said:

Someone else can probably be able to say for sure but I doubt you can play at Max settings but it is still playable at lower settings. Also as other people will inevitably point out, it'll be cheaper if you built a rig and you can get a better video card as well for around the same price range for the total budget. Can you post a link to the desktop if possible?

EDIT: Good mid range cards if you find the GTX 770 (as Pr1mus suggested) to be a bit pricey is to go for the Nvidia Geforce GTX 760 or AMD Radeon R9 270/270x. It's a tier lower than the 770 and are probably at the US $200-$280 range.

Also from the link @kidavenger sent (thank you sir!) it looks more like a media/home theater PC. You can use it for gaming BUT at that price range it is still pretty pricey from what you are getting out of it.

I have an i5 with an GTX 570 with 8 GB of ram and can play pretty much anything on Max settings, running Farcry 3 on max with that set up would be no problem at all.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravelle said:

@gaspower said:

I have an i5 with an GTX 570 with 8 GB of ram and can play pretty much anything on Max settings, running Farcry 3 on max with that set up would be no problem at all.

I concur. I have a similar setup as @ravelle with a 660Ti and didn't have any problems either.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By AlexW00d

@hippie_genocide: A 660ti is roughly twice as powerful as the 650 so you don't have a similar set up at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@ravelle said:

@gaspower said:

I have a 670 8GB Ram and an I7 and can't get a constant 60fps on FC 3 with everything maxed out at 1080p

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d: Oh really? I wouldn't have thought that since they were so close in series. Thanks for dropping the knowledge.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Build one with your goddamn bare hands.

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers