#1 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

Is eBay a safe place to buy servers from, for example I was thinking of doing a MineCraft server and I saw one for cheap.

Do you think that is a wise move?

#2 Posted by Flawed_System (388 posts) -

No, I don't think that's a good idea. I personally wouldn't buy anything digital (downloads etc.) from Ebay. That's just me though. I don't trust the people (sellers) who frequent sites such as Ebay and Craigs List.

#3 Posted by BombcastGoldthwait (250 posts) -

I am always a skeptic when it comes to these kind of transactions. I would say stay away.

#4 Posted by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

I wouldn't trust that.

#5 Posted by Slaegar (688 posts) -

If you want to just run one for a couple of friends you can all use Hamachi and run it off your computer. If you do it all on the same network you could just connect from the server's local ip address (192.168.1.xxx)

#6 Posted by Codeacious (960 posts) -

Doesn't really seem like all that great of an idea.

However, when I (briefly) hosted a Minecraft server for my friends and I, I used Global7Hosting. Check them out if you want to get a MC server up and going.

#7 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

Its usually best to just have a webhost do the work, no need to worry about hardware.

#8 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

I went and bought one for £7.99, it says it will be up and running in the hour. They have a 5 star rating with many good responses about the server.

#9 Edited by Khann (2781 posts) -

Why in the fuck did you even bother coming here to ask for peoples advice, if you're not going to listen to a single fucking word of it?

EVERY SINGLE PERSON SAID IT DIDN'T SEEM LIKE A GOOD IDEA.

#10 Posted by Slab64 (1048 posts) -

@Khann: The fuck do you care? Some dude you don't know possibly wasted eight quid, it's nothing to get butthurt about. He read these responses, looked at the seller feedback (it's there for a reason) and took a calculated risk...now if it doesn't work out he will know, and he can let us know too.

#11 Posted by NickL (2246 posts) -

@Khann said:

Why in the fuck did you even bother coming here to ask for peoples advice, if you're not going to listen to a single fucking word of it?

To annoy you.

#12 Posted by Lone_f (281 posts) -

@Hizang: Let us know if it worked!

#13 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@Khann said:

Aaaw, wittle baby got his wittle fweelings hurt ^_^ 

Serioulsy though: Relax man. 
#14 Posted by Mars_Cleric (1593 posts) -

Can you virtualise a minecraft server through hyper-v or vmware?

#15 Edited by Khann (2781 posts) -

@ZeForgotten said:

@Khann said:

Aaaw, wittle baby got his wittle fweelings hurt ^_^ Serioulsy though: Relax man.

I am not in the slightest bit mad. Don't take my use of "fuck" to mean I am mad.

The point I was trying to make is, why even bother? What is the point in seeking advice if you've already made your mind up and have no intention of actually listening to anybody? Boggles the mind.

#16 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@Khann said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@Khann said:

Aaaw, wittle baby got his wittle fweelings hurt ^_^ Serioulsy though: Relax man.

I am not in the slightest bit mad.

Don't take my use of "fuck" to mean I am mad.

The point I was trying to make is, why even bother? What is the point in seeking advice if you've already made your mind up and have no intention of actually listening to anybody? Boggles the mind.

Whoring for attention looks to be the only answer that would be close to correct. 
Though he did end up using the recommendations from ebay so at least he took some feedback. He just had to make a thread here telling us about it :P  
#17 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Ya know, you can just.... use your computer.... Are you limited in bandwidth or have shitty internet?

@Khann said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@Khann said:

I am not in the slightest bit mad. Don't take my use of "fuck" to mean I am mad.

SERIOUSLY. Fuck doesn't mean "OH MY GOD I AM RAGING AND HATE YOU AND I AM GOING TO POP A BONER AND DESTROY THE WORLD."

Also, the dude is clearly either a dick or a troll, so just ignore him.

#18 Posted by SuperSambo (2853 posts) -

@Khann said:

Its Hizang, he needs the posts.

#19 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@MordeaniisChaos said:

Ya know, you can just.... use your computer.... Are you limited in bandwidth or have shitty internet?

@Khann said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@Khann said:

SERIOUSLY. Fuck doesn't mean "OH MY GOD I AM RAGING AND HATE YOU AND I AM GOING TO POP A BONER AND DESTROY THE WORLD."

Also, the dude is clearly either a dick or a troll, so just ignore him.

I'm a troll? No you're a troll, this whole thread is trolls! 
#20 Posted by CookieMonster (2416 posts) -

You can buy servers? And people actually pay cold hard cash for it? watwatwatwat

#21 Edited by Adziboy (702 posts) -

@Mars_Cleric said:

Can you virtualise a minecraft server through hyper-v or vmware?

There's no reason you couldn't, considering a virtual PC is just... well that, a virtual PC. Anything you can do with a real PC you can do on a virtual one.

EDIT: Also can I just ask why you want to buy a server, as people have mentioned you can use your own PC, get third-party hosting or use a virtual machine. More cost-effective, probably more reliable, easy to set up etc. It's very easy to get a server to play with other people.

#22 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

Hey guys, here is a link to the details, I can hold up to 1000 fucking people!

http://www.giantbomb.com/minecraft/61-30475/i-have-a-minecraft-server/35-546962/#2

#23 Posted by EXTomar (4495 posts) -

@Hizang said:

Is eBay a safe place to buy servers from, for example I was thinking of doing a MineCraft server and I saw one for cheap.

Do you think that is a wise move?

Its completely "buyer beware" on eBay. That doesn't mean you can't find a good deal on a machine that will last a decade but the contrary can happen as well.

I recommend looking at refurbish from the dealers instead where Dell.com offers some great stuff with some support on refurbished hardware. I would also recommend looking into hosted solution where you can just buy a server hosted by some ISP where you don't need to manage the hardware.