Bwooduhs's Top 10 Games of 2009

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Edited By bwooduhs

Now that all of the years notable releases(that i'll be playing) are out i thought it might be the appropriate time for me to decide my Top 10 games of 2009. I've only taken games that i've played into consideration. So hear it goes:

10: Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time

No Caption Provided
As a long time lover of the series, A Crack in Time was one of my most anticipated games of 2009. Great story and characters with the inclusion of new weapons and gadgets insured that it wouldn't let me down. The only reason it's not higher on the list is the quality of games and 2009 and it's lack of any real innovation over it's predecessors.

9: Dragon Age: Origins
No Caption Provided
Dragon Age is one of my suprise games of 2009. Before September i knew diddly squat about the game so it made it just that much sweeter when i got my hands on it. It was my first foray into the Fantasy genre since the brilliant Oblivion in 2006 and it did not disappoint. With the sheer amount of content i can see myself still playing this throughout  2010. Lets just hope next time Bioware holds back on the blood splatter a bit.

8: Forza Motorsport 3
No Caption Provided
Forza 2 was the first racing game that i really enjoyed. The realism and overall attention to detail were too much to pass up on and Forza 3 is no different. New cars and new tracks were accompanied by minor gameplay tweaks to make this far superior than any other racing game out there. And lets not forget he rewind feature. I never want to play another racing game that doesn't have it.

7: Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City
No Caption Provided
Last year Grand Theft Auto IV managed to take the top spot on my Game of the Year list so the two pieces of episodic content were high priorities for me this year. You could debate that it doesn't belong on this list because it really is two expansion packs. But the retail version features the content of two full games with new characters, story and weapons so it's spot on this list is well deserved. The idea of seeing Liberty City from two completely different angles was a brilliant idea by Rockstar and has resulted in two great pieces of content. The only downside is that GTA IV hasn't exactly aged very gracefully and many of it's flaws are much more noticeable now.

6: Red Faction Guerrilla
No Caption Provided
Red Faction is another one of the games i knew nothing about at the start of the year and it wasn't until Giantbomb's quicklook that i started paying attention. And it was all because of the destruction. I bought the game expecting to get an average game with an awesome destruction mechanic. But what i got was good singleplayer experience topped off with great multiplayer.

5: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
No Caption Provided
If i had to choose my No.1 based only on how good a game is technically Uncharted would definitly be it. The game is beautiful, the story and characters are great, and the vast improvement in gunplay make Uncharted 2 one of the greatest games of not only this year but the whole generation. And thats without even mentioning it's great multiplayer. The only reason it's this low on my list is other games better suited my personal prefferences.

4: Batman Arkham Asylum
No Caption Provided
The last year or two have been very good for Batman fans. They were treated by the brilliant movie 'The Dark Knight' and earlier this year Batman Arkham Asylum came out. Arkham Asylum is the perfect Batman game. It molds together Batmans skills in being a detective and in combat nicely. Detective mode is brilliant because of all the detail it gives and the free flow combat system captures Batman's fighting brilliantly.The gameplay is topped off by great environments, story and characters. The Joker is flatout amazing and the other characters aren't to bad either. Batman Arkham Asylum is the best Superhero game ever.

3: Modern Warfare 2
No Caption Provided
Modern Warfare 2 is without a doubt the biggest game of the year. It is the biggest entertainment release of all time and it definitly deserves this. The game is made up of three different modes, Multiplayer, Singleplayer and Spec Ops. All three modes are fantastic. The multplayer has only been lighly iterated on but it still feels just as fresh as it did when Cod 4 came out. The singleplayer is thrill ride from start to finish and while some of things that happen are a bit far fetched that just makes it so much more exciting. And finally Spec Ops the mode new to Call of Duty games doesn't disappoint. Using assets from the storymode to play through new missions in co-op is such a blast. 
It's raining fucking helicopters!!!!!!!!!

2: Borderlands
No Caption Provided
I had been cautiously awaiting Borderlands since it was first announced back in 2007. It was very ambitious so it could either turn out great or fail miserably. Thankfully it turned out great. Borderlands fulfilled its promise of being Diablo with guns brilliantly. It pretty much stole my life until i reached level 50 with my Soldier. What other game can boast about having over a million guns?

1: Assassins Creed 2
No Caption Provided
If someone had told me at the start of the year that Assassins Creed II would be my favorite game of 2009 I wouldn't of believed it. This is because the first  Assassins Creed left such a bad impression. Its awesome gameplay was greatly overshadowed by how repetitive the game was. But Assassins Creed II fixes most, if not all of it's predecessors problems. The main character, Ezio, is no longer a boring anti-hero with no personality. The developers did a great job early on introducing him to the player. The different cities are all beautifully reconstructed and have a striking resemblance to there real life counterparts. The story is better because it actually exists this time and the future parts aren't anywhere near as dull as in the original. The developers did a brilliant job using the feedback they got from the original Assassins Creed and this is why it is such a fantastic game and my favorite of 2009.

Within the next few days or weeks im going to write up a list of the games that didn't quite make the cut so stay tuned.

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By bwooduhs

Now that all of the years notable releases(that i'll be playing) are out i thought it might be the appropriate time for me to decide my Top 10 games of 2009. I've only taken games that i've played into consideration. So hear it goes:

10: Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time

No Caption Provided
As a long time lover of the series, A Crack in Time was one of my most anticipated games of 2009. Great story and characters with the inclusion of new weapons and gadgets insured that it wouldn't let me down. The only reason it's not higher on the list is the quality of games and 2009 and it's lack of any real innovation over it's predecessors.

9: Dragon Age: Origins
No Caption Provided
Dragon Age is one of my suprise games of 2009. Before September i knew diddly squat about the game so it made it just that much sweeter when i got my hands on it. It was my first foray into the Fantasy genre since the brilliant Oblivion in 2006 and it did not disappoint. With the sheer amount of content i can see myself still playing this throughout  2010. Lets just hope next time Bioware holds back on the blood splatter a bit.

8: Forza Motorsport 3
No Caption Provided
Forza 2 was the first racing game that i really enjoyed. The realism and overall attention to detail were too much to pass up on and Forza 3 is no different. New cars and new tracks were accompanied by minor gameplay tweaks to make this far superior than any other racing game out there. And lets not forget he rewind feature. I never want to play another racing game that doesn't have it.

7: Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City
No Caption Provided
Last year Grand Theft Auto IV managed to take the top spot on my Game of the Year list so the two pieces of episodic content were high priorities for me this year. You could debate that it doesn't belong on this list because it really is two expansion packs. But the retail version features the content of two full games with new characters, story and weapons so it's spot on this list is well deserved. The idea of seeing Liberty City from two completely different angles was a brilliant idea by Rockstar and has resulted in two great pieces of content. The only downside is that GTA IV hasn't exactly aged very gracefully and many of it's flaws are much more noticeable now.

6: Red Faction Guerrilla
No Caption Provided
Red Faction is another one of the games i knew nothing about at the start of the year and it wasn't until Giantbomb's quicklook that i started paying attention. And it was all because of the destruction. I bought the game expecting to get an average game with an awesome destruction mechanic. But what i got was good singleplayer experience topped off with great multiplayer.

5: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
No Caption Provided
If i had to choose my No.1 based only on how good a game is technically Uncharted would definitly be it. The game is beautiful, the story and characters are great, and the vast improvement in gunplay make Uncharted 2 one of the greatest games of not only this year but the whole generation. And thats without even mentioning it's great multiplayer. The only reason it's this low on my list is other games better suited my personal prefferences.

4: Batman Arkham Asylum
No Caption Provided
The last year or two have been very good for Batman fans. They were treated by the brilliant movie 'The Dark Knight' and earlier this year Batman Arkham Asylum came out. Arkham Asylum is the perfect Batman game. It molds together Batmans skills in being a detective and in combat nicely. Detective mode is brilliant because of all the detail it gives and the free flow combat system captures Batman's fighting brilliantly.The gameplay is topped off by great environments, story and characters. The Joker is flatout amazing and the other characters aren't to bad either. Batman Arkham Asylum is the best Superhero game ever.

3: Modern Warfare 2
No Caption Provided
Modern Warfare 2 is without a doubt the biggest game of the year. It is the biggest entertainment release of all time and it definitly deserves this. The game is made up of three different modes, Multiplayer, Singleplayer and Spec Ops. All three modes are fantastic. The multplayer has only been lighly iterated on but it still feels just as fresh as it did when Cod 4 came out. The singleplayer is thrill ride from start to finish and while some of things that happen are a bit far fetched that just makes it so much more exciting. And finally Spec Ops the mode new to Call of Duty games doesn't disappoint. Using assets from the storymode to play through new missions in co-op is such a blast. 

2: Borderlands
No Caption Provided
I had been cautiously awaiting Borderlands since it was first announced back in 2007. It was very ambitious so it could either turn out great or fail miserably. Thankfully it turned out great. Borderlands fulfilled its promise of being Diablo with guns brilliantly. It pretty much stole my life until i reached level 50 with my Soldier. What other game can boast about having over a million guns?

1: Assassins Creed 2
No Caption Provided
If someone had told me at the start of the year that Assassins Creed II would be my favorite game of 2009 I wouldn't of believed it. This is because the first  Assassins Creed left such a bad impression. Its awesome gameplay was greatly overshadowed by how repetitive the game was. But Assassins Creed II fixes most, if not all of it's predecessors problems. The main character, Ezio, is no longer a boring anti-hero with no personality. The developers did a great job early on introducing him to the player. The different cities are all beautifully reconstructed and have a striking resemblance to there real life counterparts. The story is better because it actually exists this time and the future parts aren't anywhere near as dull as in the original. The developers did a brilliant job using the feedback they got from the original Assassins Creed and this is why it is such a fantastic game and my favorite of 2009.

Within the next few days or weeks im going to write up a list of the games that didn't quite make the cut so stay tuned.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Good list and didn't seem fanboyish at all, even though I disagree with some of it everyone has there own preferences.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By cstrang
@Bucketdeth said:
" Good list and didn't seem fanboyish at all, even though I disagree with some of it everyone has there own preferences. "
bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By bwooduhs

Thanks

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By jakob187

You gain massive points for the inclusion of Red Faction Guerrilla, one of my favorite games of the year hands down!

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bwooduhs
@jakob187 said:
" You gain massive points for the inclusion of Red Faction Guerrilla, one of my favorite games of the year hands down! "
How can anyone not include Red Faction, it's fantastic.
Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Gargantuan

Nice list! 
I really need to get a PS3 so I can play the exclusives. I've never played any Ratchet and Clank games and I would love to try them.

MushroomSamba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By MushroomSamba

I'd give the list an 'A'. It's a good balance of genres and captures pretty much all the big name titles of the year so far (though SFIV is noticeably missing). I didn't care so much where you ranked everything, but the descriptions were reasonable and did the job in justifying your decisions. And yeah, seeing Red Faction get some love brings a grin to my face too. An underappreciated gem, for sure. They all seem like great games, but Borderlands was easily the most addictive for me.

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bwooduhs
@MushroomSamba said:
" I'd give the list an 'A'. It's a good balance of genres and captures pretty much all the big name titles of the year so far (though SFIV is noticeably missing). I didn't care so much where you ranked everything, but the descriptions were reasonable and did the job in justifying your decisions. And yeah, seeing Red Faction get some love brings a grin to my face too. An underappreciated gem, for sure. They all seem like great games, but Borderlands was easily the most addictive for me. "
The reason Street Fighter isn't on here is that i'm mud at fighting games so i never played it.
papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By papercut

That all seems completely legit to me.