Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 - yay or nay?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Poll Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 - yay or nay? (167 votes)

Yay 46%
Nay 26%
(indeterminate guttural grunt) 28%

The reveal trailer is out

Apart from some good use of a song they already paid for, what do you guys think?

It appears to be a blend of Titanfall, classic CoD and maybe.. a little bit of Syndicate as shown with the on-the-fly hacking of a drone.

Other sources cite that you'll be able to completely customize your "dood" and play with up to 3 other people co-op. You can see several scenes in the trailer where you're moving in a tight team of four.

From what we can see it is as Jeff hoped - the gameplay is continuing to become faster, or at least remaining as fast as it was in Advanced Warfare. Graphically it appears to be on par with what you can expect from the series, but then against I think most people play these games for the fast paced, fluid action.

It honestly looks like a better, or at least more interesting game than Advanced Warfare, but while last years COD trailer managed to somehow get me excited for the series again, this one did very little in that regard. More mechanics, more customization, yet I honestly feel nothing. Maybe I've finally reached the breaking point where I just can't feel anything for a Call of Duty game anymore.

What do you guys think?

• 
fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 75

#1  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

The premise seems alright. I'm all up for more cyberpunk stuff, and while this seems almost exactly like the Deus Ex: Human Revolution teaser stuff ... I'd say I like that more than yet another jingoistic military shooter set in a fictional country bordering Iraq or Afghanistan.

I do hope these super soldiers are capable of carrying more than two or three weapons, and maybe rocket jump and stuff.

Edit: Didn't see there was an actual gameplay trailer available, only saw that trailer that was posted here on GB yesterday. This looks way less exciting.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By BradBrains

I mean..sure black ops sually has a good campain

the only issue is that after AW it mgiht be weird to take away the advancements in that game that imo made it the most fun COD has been in years.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mainly I just like the MURDER BALL

No Caption Provided

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I keep thinking these games look cool, but I played the first two levels of Advanced Warfare and an hour of MP. And I was done.

I dunno, man, maybe it's just the style of these games for multiplayer. I always prefer Battlefield for the big battle experience, and Halo for the close quarters stuff (which is still fun in BTB).

And modern military story campaigns just feel interchangeable at this point. Last time a campaign really stuck with me was Black Ops.

But I still hope it's cool.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It could just be that my PC is too shitty to play it, but I've yet to be able to play one second of AW since I bought it (stupidly got it cause my friend said he was gonna get too and we would play with each other. He didn't get it and I feel cheated). I don't think I'll get Black Ops 3.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Justin258

I haven't finished a Call of Duty game since Modern Warfare 3. I always get "the itch" whenever the games come out, but I played both Black Ops II and Advanced Warfare for a few hours and went "eh" then moved on.

Am I going to get Black Ops III? I don't know. How do I feel about this? It looks like a trailer for a Call of Duty game. That murder ball thing looked pretty cool, though, and if everybody's got mechanical limbs I'm more interested. I'm something of a fan of mechanical limbs.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked Advanced Warfare. Before that I liked Black Ops 2. Before that, none of them really. So I'm totally down for what seems to mix those two up into one package.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks great. Like Titanfall, but one that I actually have a remote desire to play.

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Advanced Warfare was one my biggest surprises of the year, most MP I had played in a Call of Duty game since the good old days of Modern Warfare II. Hoping to see a little bit more differentiating factors in terms of Multiplayer gameplay before purchasing (haven't even touched the SP in AW and I feel I can get a lot more out of the game with DLC too).

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By JJBSterling

My internet kept me from really getting deep into Advanced Warfare which is a shame because I really liked it and wanted to get prestige master for it. Hopefully I can try to sort that all out before this one comes out because I'm on-board.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's way too soon for another Call of Duty in my opinion, Advanced Warware just came out.

Avatar image for thewonderwaffle
thewonderwaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Sort of have my fingers crossed that there will be a "flashback" element like in BO1 with Vietnam, but it's really disappointing to see Treyarch get fully on this future warfare bandwagon. Would really prefer some WWII shooters at this point.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved Black Ops 1 and 2. Going to to give this a tentative Yay.

I'll wait till I can see a full match played out or some un-edited video off a shaky cam before I jump fully on board. Call me cynical, I don't trust trailers anymore. Especially trailers for big games.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sort of have my fingers crossed that there will be a "flashback" element like in BO1 with Vietnam, but it's really disappointing to see Treyarch get fully on this future warfare bandwagon. Would really prefer some WWII shooters at this point.

Oh no, we can never go back.

tdervan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dig it. I still play the old Black Ops for zombies... I wasn't much for extinction on the last COD, so hoping for a better run at that this time through.

xrated48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

all I care about is zombie mode

BaconHound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By BaconHound

Me too. I've always enjoyed Call of Duty, but the future warfare stuff just hasn't grabbed me. Black Ops 2 was alright, but I didn't bother at all with Ghosts or Advanced Warfare, despite the great response that the latter game received.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I don't know. It looks like Call of Duty. I'm sure Jeff will be happy.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well now I am just confused. We had the Advanced Warfare future game. Now this is in the future. But they won't be using the same future stuff?

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

IT LOOKS FUCKEN SICK..... 360 JeTpAcK n00bs teabag the objectiv weed armor swag swag 420 roboscope ︻╦╤─

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By conmulligan

It's weird to see Treyarch continue the tradition of not acknowledging the work of other Call of Duty studios. I mean, Advanced Warfare does a lot of the same stuff and doesn't even warrant a mention? I wonder if Activision encourages a little animosity to keep things competitive.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well now I am just confused. We had the Advanced Warfare future game. Now this is in the future. But they won't be using the same future stuff?

It's probably supposed to be like an alternate timeline, or maybe it's further ahead than Advanced Warfare? I mean it's best to just treat them as completely different franchises..

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried really hard to enjoy Black Ops 2 and man I just couldn't get into it. Maybe this will be different enough?

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flasaltine said:

From what I remember the three Call of Duty studios create their games in seperate timelines and universes (Infinity Ward games in one, Treyarch games exist in another, etc.)

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Sooo, now it's Titanfall/Brink-like movement this time? I don't mind that. Hopefully we can leave the slow MW-type Call of Duty snorefest behind for good now (the multiplayer part at least).

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NTM

The trailer made me pretty much think 'meh' to sum it up. I'm usually one to have some hope and interest in the franchise, but this to me just look uninteresting due to it's over abundance of familiarity; plus, I never really cared for Black Ops, though this does look different, without those same characters, unless the main character is a younger Mason or what have you, and so it's named that for a good enough reason (other than the fact the name may boost sales).

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That trailer honestly convinced me. I'm excited. Treyarch is super solid with their Call of Duty games.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

I will still keep buying them. So yay.

Woodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll only buy Treyarch COD's now, so yay ill pick this one up on PC. Blops 2 ran well for me and I have some amount of hope they can do it again???

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know what it is specifically, but there's something about the graphics in this trailer that I find incredibly off-putting.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So Call of Tour of Duty is now basically what Crysis was 8 years ago? Got it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimbo: Let's not kid ourselves, Crysis was nothing like this. It was pretty, open ended and clunky as all hell.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@jimbo: Let's not kid ourselves, Crysis was nothing like this. It was pretty, open ended and clunky as all hell.

You're right of course, it doesn't appear to have the redeeming features of Crysis. I was referring to the what-looks-like super run / jump / strength abilities which make it look like it plays exactly like Crysis.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimbo: Yes indeed, Call of Duty took those core elements and actually turned them into a working video game. We have in fact come a long way since Crysis.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@jimbo: Yes indeed, Call of Duty took those core elements and actually turned them into a working video game. We have in fact come a long way since Crysis.

Really? Perhaps it requires the game itself to notice. Judging by that trailer we haven't come anywhere. If you'd shown me this trailer 6 years ago and told me it was for a multiplat Crysis 2 I wouldn't have disbelieved you.

I didn't even like Crysis that much and this looks like that except worse and almost a decade late, so in answer to your question: Nay.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'm definitely interested but I'm not going to pre-order or buy day ZERO. I like the idea of more fluid and adjustable movement in the air, opposed to the straight forward movement of the exo dashes. A co-op campaign is very attractive to me, as I can't remember the last time my friends and I played through a FPS campaign (Halo 4 I guess).

I could not give less of a shit about zombies and I'm starting to actively get annoyed by how people talk about that mode and what they better do/not do with it.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I appreciated Advanced Warfare from afar, but felt the mobility changes caused trouble for the balance and flow of the multiplayer levels. I'm definitely passing on this.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ShadyPingu

As someone who's not into multiplayer, these games have never been a good value proposition for me. But I will no doubt enjoy the YouTube supercut of the campaign's setpieces.

MegaLombax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MegaLombax

The trailer looks solid. Though it seems that the direction is very similar to AW. Wasn't really convinced after seeing the trailer but read an article abt the game being more customizable ala a gunsmith. So that got me somewhat interested. Being a more solo experience person, the fact that the campaign is going to have more open areas/levels does sound good. 2 COD games in a year with similar settings does make me question my possible purchase but a good game is a good game.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'm definitely excited. At first the early reports of it being set pretty far in the future had me worried that it wouldn't have anything to do with the previous Black Ops' stories, and the co-op campaign would mean that the story was basically irrelevant...And, honestly, those will probably still be true, but that looked rad! So I'm excited.

But I'm still holding out hope that Mason's head will be attached to a robot, and he'll still be inexplicably Australian.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42  Edited By BigBoss1911

Super nay. Wasn't a fan at all of AW and this looks strikingly similar to it. I was really hoping this would have been World at War 2.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The trailer was cool and what they're doing sounds interesting. That said, I haven't liked any of the Treyarch CoD games.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Advanced Warfare was the first COD I'd played since Modern Warfare 2. It was fun and I had a good time, but I think it'll be a while before I can excited for another one of those games. Plus Halo 5 and Battlefront will take up most of my FPS time in the fall.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Oh man, Murder Ball has to be a lock for character of the year.

Blops 3 looks good but I am surprised they are going all-in with the future warfare stuff. Anecdotally, the people I know who are into CoD games didn't like the exo suit gameplay and just played the traditional multiplayer playlists in Advanced Warfare.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Like Advanced Warfare I think "maybe?" and parts of it look interesting. I have to say it's funny seeing them rip off Titan Fall in some areas.

Zombies increases my chances I get it somehow because my friends from college will just about only play CoD zombies with me for multiplay videogames besides sprots games and so I end up getting that sometimes, even though I'm not the biggest fan. Maybe they'll do better. The little twists to their zombie modes I have always hated and think that the Killing Floor experience is more of something that I like.

As for the rest, used to love the series but haven't bothered with the last few. I am someone who would be excited if they went back to WW II or something though. I think it's kind of lame that basically all there is for big shooters right now is sci-fi.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Remember when Black Ops started out by being set in the Cold War era and Vietnam?

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

I've enjoyed both the previous Black Ops games a ton. Plus I was won over by what AW introduced, so having them also adopt some of that faster-paced stuff here is interesting to me. I'm always down for a good Call of Duty game, there's still not much that makes First-Person Shooting feel as satisfying as that series does when it's on form. Both BlOps I and II had interesting campaigns and fantastic multiplayer components, so I reckon I'll probably get on with this. It's not a 100% commitment from me, because no game is until we've seen a good-sized chunk of it, but I'm definitely on the "yes" side for now.

CouldbeRolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't had any interest in CoD since MW2, but I'm thinking I might give this one a go.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Very much nay. Count me among the few who preferred the Modern Warfare days when the game was still somewhat realistic. I'm really done with the "future war" s*** with this series. Three out of the four latest CoD games that have all basically tried to do the same enhanced-human thing, and the one non-future CoD game we've gotten since 2011 was the underwhelming Ghosts, which did little more than serve its purpose as a gen-bridging CoD. So, yeah, I miss the MW games. Not to mention that with this exo-warfare stuff is something Titanfall pulled off WAY better anyway, IMO. I see zero appeal to playing this in a world where the game they seemingly keep trying to emulate also exists.