Came across two very though-provoking questions.

Avatar image for michaelfossbakk
michaelfossbakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By michaelfossbakk

I've been doing a bit of job hunting recently and came across two very thought-provoking questions about videogames that I wanted to share and get some input. To be honest, the second one has me stumped.

1. What's your favorite piece of non-game journalism/writing?
  2. What non-game design person has ideas most relevant to the world of games?

What are your thoughts?

Avatar image for divineshadow777
DivineShadow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By DivineShadow777

For an answer to the second one I would go with Victor David Gruen.

FlarePhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FlarePhoenix

1. Film Critic Hulk (Yes, I know he does do games from time to time, but he is predominately about movies)

2. I don't know if I'd say most relevant, but B.F. Skinner's work on Operant Conditioning has had a huge impact on how a lot of games are designed.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By ReyGitano

The answer to the second question is Gordon Ramsay. Don't ask why, but I've been watching a lot of Kitchen Nightmares, and it just seems to be him cleaning up a lot of chefs that try to over-complicate things. I feel like it's the same with games, and sometimes it's just best to get the basics down and have a simple game that looks clean and plays great. It doesn't matter how many systems or features your game has if it all feels poorly done or clumped together and overwhelming.

Also journalists need to curse more and be dicks to each other.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By TruthTellah

@FlarePhoenix: Nice call on B.F. Skinner. Behavior Analysis has done a lot for making games that are easier to learn and more rewarding for players.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Jeremy Clarkson to both.

FlarePhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FlarePhoenix

@TruthTellah said:

@FlarePhoenix: Nice call on B.F. Skinner. Behavior Analysis has done a lot for making games that are easier to learn and more rewarding for players.

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/the-skinner-box <--- Anything I would say on this matter would come from here anyway, so I might as well just link to the original source material than subjecting you to my bastardized version of it. :)

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By TruthTellah

@FlarePhoenix said:

@TruthTellah said:

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/the-skinner-box <--- Anything I would say on this matter would come from here anyway, so I might as well just link to the original source material than subjecting you to my bastardized version of it. :)

Thanks for mentioning that video. Fortunately, there's a lot more to the field of Behavior Analysis than what just came about from B.F. Skinner's early work(such as the box mentioned in the video), and it still has a lot more to add to videogames. If that video interested you, you should check out more of Behavior Analysis. It's something close to my heart and a topic that is pretty easy to get into. :)

Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sploder

Snoop Lion

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By Dagbiker
  1. Hitchhikers Guide to The Galaxy. - It was made into a game, But I am talking about the book. It is the only book, I have ever really read to completion, and enjoyed.
  2. Alan Turing - Invented the computer.
Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Getz

Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass

and...

Probably some kind of post-modern narrative experimenter like Raymond Queneau or a narrative critic. Modern games aren't about mechanics anymore, so it makes sense that someone with a background in experimental narrative would have at least some insight in to game design.

Nonapod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Nonapod

1. Anything by P.J. O'Rourke

2. Probably one of the hard sci-fi authors, esp. those with math/engineering type backgrounds like Vernor Vinge, Stephen Baxter, or Neal Stephenson.

Avatar image for michaelfossbakk
michaelfossbakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By michaelfossbakk

@FlarePhoenix: I remember seeing that video a while back, I think. It also reminded me of J.J. Abrams' TED Talk about his "Mystery Box".

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By Justin258

1) The Moviebob guy, Bob Chipman.