• 74 results
benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By benpack

I don't know if it's a relatively new trend, but the consumption of media that's "so bad it's good," especially movies, has become more popular. With obvious examples being films like "The Room" or "Troll 2," you can find more of a culture that appreciates good bad movies. You see this with not only movies, but television and to a lesser extent music. This got me thinking, can a video game be absolutely terrible, but enjoyable at the same time?

Now, I know that everyone's immediate response would be

Predictable, isn't it, Zach?

DEADLY PREMONITION

but I believe that the large majority of people who would answer that ether A) Only watched the Endurance Run (like a television show) or B) Only played it because of Giant Bomb. Even then I would contest that the story is good and unique enough to be a reason to play the game. Unlike "The Room" where everything about it, from the writing to the acting to the direction, is bad, but still so bad that it is enjoyable. There's no such thing as "gameplay that's so bad it's good" and since gameplay is the core mechanic of any game, you can see where the whole thing falls apart.

Now the question is "why can't a game be so bad it's good?" I feel like it comes down to a few reasons.
 Press X to be torn apart by Lisa.

1) You have to play the game. Imagine you had to interact and "play" The Room. And the controls sucked. Imagine you had a quicktime event where you had to "toss around the football" or "have sex with Lisa four times." Nobody wants that.
2) Games are short. Watching a movie can take about 90 minutes and you get the whole experience. Compare that to 10, 20, 30+ hours that are needed to beat a game.
3) Games are expensive. Even if you aren't buying games, you can watch a ton of different terrible movies on Netflix Instant Stream by the time it will take you to get a new game. Which is a better investment?
4) People don't have "Playing Parties." Unlike movies, where you can get a bunch of friends together and watch a movie, games are usually played either by yourself or with a friend co-op. Watching a movie is more acceptable as a social event than playing a game while seven of your friends watch you. 

So I guess my conclusion is that games can't be so bad they are good. They can be bad, or good, or anywhere in between.
benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By benpack

I don't know if it's a relatively new trend, but the consumption of media that's "so bad it's good," especially movies, has become more popular. With obvious examples being films like "The Room" or "Troll 2," you can find more of a culture that appreciates good bad movies. You see this with not only movies, but television and to a lesser extent music. This got me thinking, can a video game be absolutely terrible, but enjoyable at the same time?

Now, I know that everyone's immediate response would be

DEADLY PREMONITION

but I believe that the large majority of people who would answer that ether A) Only watched the Endurance Run (like a television show) or B) Only played it because of Giant Bomb. Even then I would contest that the story is good and unique enough to be a reason to play the game. Unlike "The Room" where everything about it, from the writing to the acting to the direction, is bad, but still so bad that it is enjoyable. There's no such thing as "gameplay that's so bad it's good" and since gameplay is the core mechanic of any game, you can see where the whole thing falls apart.

Now the question is "why can't a game be so bad it's good?" I feel like it comes down to a few reasons.

1) You have to play the game. Imagine you had to interact and "play" The Room. And the controls sucked. Imagine you had a quicktime event where you had to "toss around the football" or "have sex with Lisa four times." Nobody wants that.
2) Games are short. Watching a movie can take about 90 minutes and you get the whole experience. Compare that to 10, 20, 30+ hours that are needed to beat a game.
3) Games are expensive. Even if you aren't buying games, you can watch a ton of different terrible movies on Netflix Instant Stream by the time it will take you to get a new game. Which is a better investment?
4) People don't have "Playing Parties." Unlike movies, where you can get a bunch of friends together and watch a movie, games are usually played either by yourself or with a friend co-op. Watching a movie is more acceptable as a social event than playing a game while seven of your friends watch you. 

So I guess my conclusion is that games can't be so bad they are good. They can be bad, or good, or anywhere in between.
Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Yanngc33

Play naughty bear, you'll get your answer

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By phrosnite

For me there is no such game.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By fwylo

I feel like its just parts of the game that are so good it makes you put up with the bad parts. 

Deadly Premonition: Crazy wild story and addictive characters overpower the shitty gameplay mechanics and things like that.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By FluxWaveZ

No, that's a logical fallacy. People who would say "This game is so bad, it's good", would generally define games that have redeeming aspects but many negative ones that way.

coryrx8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By coryrx8

I'd say that Heavy Rain qualifies. It has awful voice acting, terrible writing, huge plot holes, tedious gameplay, major pacing issues, creepy and and lifeless character models, yet it's gripping in its own way. The faux accents are hilarious at times, and the whole "Press X to Jason" thing is completely meme-worthy.
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Pinworm45
@FluxWaveZ said:
" No, that's a logical fallacy. "
no it isn't.
Brysonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Brysonic

lol @    Press X to be torn apart by Lisa

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By JJWeatherman

I'd like to submit a Genesis game called "Fun 'N' Games" as a game that's so bad it's good. Parts of that game are effing nuts. 

Your conclusion is wrong! :P

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Aus_azn

You mentioned "The Room". You automatically win.

I have yet to play any games like this. Then and again, I haven't played Hour of Victory or Big Rigs yet.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JJWeatherman
@Aus_azn said:
" You mentioned "The Room". You automatically win.  I have yet to play any games like this. Then and again, I haven't played Hour of Victory or Big Rigs yet. "
Big Rigs is amazing... for all of about 3-4 minutes.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Pinworm45 said:
" @FluxWaveZ said:
no it isn't. "
How is it not? How does it make sense to say something like "This is so disgusting, it's good" or "This is so bad, it's good"? It makes no logical sense.
bearshamanbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bearshamanbro

There was a game called "Zombies ate my Neighbors" on the snes. It could be found in bargain bins everywhere for under $10. Game was a blast but kinda bad at the same time. Same with another game I picked up out the same bargain bin called Total Carnage.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By valrog
@FluxWaveZ:  Just like you can go south so far that you come out from the north. It's all a matter of perspective.
benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By benpack
@bearshamanbro said:
" There was a game called "Zombies ate my Neighbors" on the snes. It could be found in bargain bins everywhere for under $10. Game was a blast but kinda bad at the same time. Same with another game I picked up out the same bargain bin called Total Carnage. "
Oh man. I LOVED both of those games.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@valrog said:

" @FluxWaveZ:  Just like you can go south so far that you come out from the north. It's all a matter of perspective. "

It isn't the same thing. If you would want to use that analogy, you'd need to say "One can go so far south that he would be going north", which would make no sense.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Bad games can have a charm that makes them enjoyable, with the examples that jump to mind being Earth Defence Force 2017 and Deadly Premonition, but that doesn't make them good.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By Vonocourt
@GlenTennis said:

"
 1) You have to play the game. Imagine you had to interact and "play" The Room." 

Like this?
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Pinworm45
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @Pinworm45 said:
" @FluxWaveZ said:
no it isn't. "
How is it not? How does it make sense to say something like "This is so disgusting, it's good" or "This is so bad, it's good"? It makes no logical sense. "
Yes it does. It's also not a logical fallacy. If you're going to use terms you see smart people using, at least understand them. Or is that just a strawman? lol..
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Pinworm45 said:

" Yes it does. It's also not a logical fallacy. If you're going to use terms you see smart people using, at least understand them. Or is that just a strawman? lol.. "

What are you talking about? Can you at least give one sound argument? And what do you mean by "terms I see smart people using"? You mean "logical fallacy"? Heh, I didn't know that term was only to be exclusively used by smart people. 

Searching "straw man" (as I had no idea what that meant), I think I've determined what you're talking about. A "fallacy" isn't necessarily linked to an argument. It can also define a false line of thought.
Avatar image for redeyesbluebunny
RedEyesBlueBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By RedEyesBlueBunny

i don't see how your points connect to your conclusion at all. but i guess i agree in a way, and maybe that "so bad it's good" is really just a terrible statement. i think "so bad, but good" makes a lot more sense, at least when it comes to deadly premonition, but i don't think i've seen any of the movies you referenced, apart from a couple scenes from troll 2 which are hilarious because they are so bad. so now that i think about it, i think i agree with you, even though i dont understand why the hell you've listed those "4 reasons"

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JJWeatherman
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @Pinworm45 said:
" @FluxWaveZ said:
no it isn't. "
How is it not? How does it make sense to say something like "This is so disgusting, it's good" or "This is so bad, it's good"? It makes no logical sense. "
Well, for myself, I can see something as being very bad and therefore different from the pack. The fact that something is so "bad" and so different, kind of makes it enjoyable. I think this can apply to games, and almost anything, really. 

It's not that things are so bad, they're good. It's more they're so bad, they're enjoyable. Whether that makes them "good" or not is debatable I suppose.
SamSharp505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SamSharp505

deadliest warrior 
YES

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By HitmanAgent47

no

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By MooseyMcMan

The Room is terrible. I hate it when people say it's so bad it's good, because that movie is just bad. Calling it a train-wreck is an insult to train-wrecks. 

Also, Deadly Premonition was pretty awesome, both for the great story, and because the rest of it was bad enough to be laughable. 

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Meowshi

No, because bad gameplay is inexcusable.   

It's not like a movie where you can just sit back and take it in.  You literally have to wrestle and concentrate with bad controls in a game.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By MysteriousBob

Yes. My avatar is one. Its absurdly stupid and badly made, but its fun.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#29  Edited By Jeust

And Deadly Premonition, despite all its flaws, is a good and entertaining game. 

For record I wanted to play the game since the commercial for it popped up in GT, near its release in the US. 
WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By WickedCestus

I like to play the demos for Japanese dating sims that I barely understand. Those are pretty bad, but I also really enjoy not really knowing what is going on. 

I think this qualifies.

lowfatevan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By lowfatevan
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Afroman269

50 Cent Blood on the Sand is a way better example. Oh and some may even say that the controls are even better than Deadly Premonition :X 

*runs away before white knights appear

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jmfinamore

Sure, why not? To say something is so bad it's good is essentially to say that the consequences of the badness are enjoyable.

zameer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By zameer

I don't think so; broken mechanics are just frustrating.

I do however think cutscenes, VO and dialogue can definitely be so bad they get good... Just Cause 2's a great example.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By benpack
@zameer: Vanquish has those too

@Afroman269 said:

" 50 Cent Blood on the Sand is a way better example. Oh and some may even say that the controls are even better than Deadly Premonition :X  *runs away before white knights appear "

Having played both I totally agree. 50 Cent isn't a terrible game, it controls like a decent 3rd person shooter.

@lowfatevan said:

" @GlenTennis

Imagine you had to interact and "play" The Room.   

ahem: 

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/547307    see for yourself! As far as I'm concerned, it's an essential companion piece to the movie. "

I'm aware of the game. But you would never play it if it wasn't for the movie.
carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36  Edited By carlthenimrod

I had fun playing games like Darkest of Days and Rogue Warrior because they were so fucking broken and stupid. I have no problem applying the MST3K approach to gaming.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
@coryrx8 said:
"I'd say that Heavy Rain qualifies. It has awful voice acting, terrible writing, huge plot holes, tedious gameplay, major pacing issues, creepy and and lifeless character models, yet it's gripping in its own way. The faux accents are hilarious at times, and the whole "Press X to Jason" thing is completely meme-worthy. "

Get the fuck out
BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By BabyChooChoo
@FluxWaveZ said:
" No, that's a logical fallacy. People who would say "This game is so bad, it's good", would generally define games that have redeeming aspects but many negative ones that way. "
I'd go with this, except I'd say it in a much dumber way.
BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#39  Edited By BigLemon
@coryrx8 said:
" I'd say that Heavy Rain qualifies. It has awful voice acting, terrible writing, huge plot holes, tedious gameplay, major pacing issues, creepy and and lifeless character models, yet it's gripping in its own way. The faux accents are hilarious at times, and the whole "Press X to Jason" thing is completely meme-worthy. "
JAAAASON! 

I have to agree. I wouldn't say it's a "so good it's bad", but it does have some glaring issues. But the story is so well put together and many of the concepts were well executed. It made my GOTY list for 2010, so I must have liked it.
Avatar image for endlessobsidian
EndlessObsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By EndlessObsidian

No. If something is bad, then it is bad. If you think a game is "soo bad" but yet you find some redeeming qualities about it that you enjoy, then said game is actually "good" in the first place. 

Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Ignor

Bad game = Bad game
Campy game = Guilty pleasure

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By sweep  Moderator

In a word: Yes.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#43  Edited By BeachThunder

I think what's meant by the term is - a game that's amusing or perhaps, charming because of how poor quality it is. Big Rigs is an obvious example, if the game actually worked properly, then it would just be a bland racing game; however, the game is completely broken, which means you can do all sorts of wacky/crazy things, like flying through the sky.

Also.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#44  Edited By Castiel

No, but a movie can. 

It's as simply as that.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Skytylz
@carlthenimrod said:
"  I had fun playing games like Darkest of Days and Rogue Warrior because they were so fucking broken and stupid. I have no problem applying the MST3K approach to gaming. "
You had fun, that doesn't mean they're good.  
benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By benpack
@BeachThunder said:
" I think what's meant by the term is - a game that's amusing or perhaps, charming because of how poor quality it is. Big Rigs is an obvious example, if the game actually worked properly, then it would just be a bland racing game; however, the game is completely broken, which means you can do all sorts of wacky/crazy things, like flying through the sky.

Also. "
But was it enjoyable to play or to watch someone play?
animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#47  Edited By animateria

Noby Noby Boy. 

It's so bad... It sorta becomes good. 

If you can call it a 'game' anyways.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By FritzDude

Driver 3. Also called Driv3r, is a game that suck ass, mostly because of all the bugs, but that's also the charm of it. Pop in the game and laugh because of all the "Wtf-moments" in the game.

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49  Edited By carlthenimrod

@Skytylz said:

" @carlthenimrod said:

"  I had fun playing games like Darkest of Days and Rogue Warrior because they were so fucking broken and stupid. I have no problem applying the MST3K approach to gaming. "
You had fun, that doesn't mean they're good.   "
Never said they were good. I'm fully aware of their awfulness. I still enjoyed my time with them regardless.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#50  Edited By Video_Game_King

Very rarely have I seen this type of thing happen. In fact, I've only seen it, like, once: Captain Novolin. It's a game that's so stupid and poorly executed that it's hard not to find yourself laughing at the fuck up whenever you see it.