Can anyone tell me the point of exclusive DLC?

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By turboman

As a PS3 owner, it's weird to see so many bits and pieces of "exclusive DLC" Microsoft has.

Fallout 3 has atleast 3 additional sets of quests for Xbox, and of coarse GTA IV has a new chapter in it's story on the way.... and PS3 owners have no shot(as of now) of playing that...

...It sucks.

I understand that 3rd parties are reaping from instant profit from Microsoft, but their alienating a complete part of their userbase on the other system.

Also, what the hell can microsoft(and sony for that matter) achieve from exclusive DLC? You can argue that exclusive games sell the system, but what's the point of Exclusive DLC other than to piss off the customers that bought the other system?

Discuss.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By HandsomeDead

Mo' money for Microsoft.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

to make the multiplatform owners buy the 360 version
isn't that fairly obvious?

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Vinchenzo
TurboMan said:
"As a PS3 owner, it's weird to see so many bits and pieces of "exclusive DLC" Microsoft has.
Fallout 3 has atleast 3 additional sets of quests for Xbox, and of coarse GTA IV has a new chapter in it's story on the way.... and PS3 owners have no shot(as of now) of playing that...

...It sucks.

I understand that 3rd parties are reaping from instant profit from Microsoft, but their alienating a complete part of their userbase on the other system.

Also, what the hell can microsoft(and sony for that matter) achieve from exclusive DLC? You can argue that exclusive games sell the system, but what's the point of Exclusive DLC other than to piss off the customers that bought the other system?

Discuss.
"
I think HandsomeDead said it best....

HandsomeDead said:
"Mo' money for Microsoft."
In other words, get an Xbox and you'll see the point.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#5  Edited By LordAndrew
SmugDarkLoser said:
"to make the multiplatform owners buy the 360 version
isn't that fairly obvious?"
No, because it doesn't matter to the developer. They make money either way.

But when Microsoft or Sony or whoever hands them a big bag of money, more than they'd probably make by taking it multi-platform, it's kind of hard to turn it down.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Jayge_
TurboMan said:
"As a PS3 owner, it's weird to see so many bits and pieces of "exclusive DLC" Microsoft has.

...It sucks.

Discuss.
"
It seems fairly obvious to most people. Microsoft pays for the exclusive DLC. A lot. As in, more than whatever revenue would come in from giving it to the PS3. And so developers develop exclusive DLC for the 360. They don't care about "alienating a complete part of their userbase". That userbase feel-good crap doesn't bring in the dough (for most corporations). Microsoft can achieve a lot from all of their exclusive DLC deals. Grand Theft Auto was a Playstation-brand staple, remember? Now with GTA4, it's much more commonly associated with the 360. Have you noticed all the buzz about Lost and Damned? That's generated solely for Microsoft's benefit. The game won't see any PS3 sales because of a 360 only expansion. It's brilliant, if simple, business. No brainer.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
LordAndrew said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
"to make the multiplatform owners buy the 360 version
isn't that fairly obvious?"
No, because it doesn't matter to the developer. They make money either way.

But when Microsoft or Sony or whoever hands them a big bag of money, more than they'd probably make by taking it multi-platform, it's kind of hard to turn it down."
Wait, what?

Do you not understand. 
MS pays dev money for dlc---> more copies are sold on 360 vs. ps3---> more royalties for MS.

As far as the developer standpoint, it's actually probably worse (although that's taking the big assumption that MS's fees are equal to sony's)

In addition to the royalty fees, this could also help make a game go in favor of the console.  If you really wanted say GTA and you had to buy a console, extra content for that game would be a huge push to that system.
suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By suneku

It's pretty much the same as an exclusive game.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By Arkthemaniac

It's supposed to alienate fans.

Also, because Microsoft can, and they do anything that they can.
daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By daniel_beck_90
suneku said:
"It's pretty much the same as an exclusive game."
  yeah , more or less
turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By turboman

I understand why 3rd parties take the exclusivity deal..... easy money upfront.....

but what does Microsoft gain from it? I'm not going to pay 260+(have to buy the game over) just to play the 5-10 extra hours of the game that I really want to play....

it's a dick move, plain and simple
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HandsomeDead
TurboMan said:
"I understand why 3rd parties take the exclusivity deal..... easy money upfront.....
but what does Microsoft gain from it? I'm not going to pay 260+(have to buy the game over) just to play the 5-10 extra hours of the game that I really want to play....

"
People will and people are, if not now, in the future when they've seen it's Microsoft that gets the goods.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13  Edited By Arkthemaniac
TurboMan said:
"I understand why 3rd parties take the exclusivity deal..... easy money upfront.....

"
Pretty much.
BinaryDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By BinaryDragon

Microsoft likes to kick you in the willy basically.

No seriously, sometimes we forget that this is an industry after all, they don't do it for the lulz. They do it for the money.  Any way they can blag a sale or push their machines into homes they'll do it. It's just something we have to face, developers seem to care more about us, hardware care about cash. Generally speaking, and if doing a deal like this gets them more money to give more to their fans, they'll do it!

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#15  Edited By LordAndrew
TurboMan said:

it's a dick move, plain and simple"
Maybe not you, but people who have both systems would be forced to buy the Xbox 360 version to get the DLC, which benefits Microsoft. And yes, some people are more than willing to buy both versions.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jayge_
TurboMan said:

"
People on the market for a console will be more likely to choose the 360. People with both consoles will most likely choose to buy multiplats on the 360 (where quality is usually higher anyway). Brand associations (as I mentioned) get transferred to the 360. They hope to recoup their investment not entirely through DLC sales, but through the "word of mouth" stuff generated by the fact that the 360 simply offers "more" for your games than the PS3. Overall, it seems to be helping them a lot so far. It's not a dick move. It's business.
turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By turboman
Jayge said:
"TurboMan said:

"
People on the market for a console will be more likely to choose the 360. People with both consoles will most likely choose to buy multiplats on the 360 (where quality is usually higher anyway). Brand associations (as I mentioned) get transferred to the 360. They hope to recoup their investment not entirely through DLC sales, but through the "word of mouth" stuff generated by the fact that the 360 simply offers "more" for your games than the PS3. Overall, it seems to be helping them a lot so far. It's not a dick move. It's business."
eh, makes since
BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18  Edited By BlackWaterCO

Lost & Damned should be multiplatform