Can someone explain Baseball Post Season to me?

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By flameboy84

I moved to Toronto 3 years ago and due to the Bluejays being in a neverending playoff hiatus it's never been an issue that I needed to understand. Now that's over everyone is talking about but as I mostly work with women who aren't sports fans and have just jumped on the bandwagon.

So the Bluejays won against the Texas Rangers to take a 5 game series, which in my mind was essentially a Quarter Final for the World Series. Next they face the KC Royals in the American League Championship Series the winner of plays the winner of National League Championship for the World Series. Am I right or am I wrong? What's throwing me is people are saying they have won the ACL for the first time in 23 years but to my mind they didn't yet win it.

My head hurts now I know how people feel when I try to explain Promotion and Relegation in European Football/Soccer.

audioslaver756

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By audioslaver756

That sounds about right to me. I think people are saying they're going to appear in the American League Championship Series (ALCS) for the first time since 1993 (when they won the World Series).

EDIT: Just so we're clear: while the ALDS is a 5 game series, the ALCS and World Series are both 7 games.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Just don't think about it, just enjoy the beer and root for your favorite color.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're right about everything except I have no idea what an ACL is.

Yes, the ALDS is basically a quarterfinal to the championship (a semifinal to get to the WS).

Toronto is going to the ALCS for the first time since 1993. The Blue Jays made it to the ALCS in 1993 (last year there weren't any ALDSes) and hadn't even made the postseason since until now. If they win the ALCS they have the pennant (AL pennant), which means they can say they won the AL.

All remaining series are 7-game series.

That's a fun bandwagon, enjoy the ride.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whatever hapens, the Cubs cannot win.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Seems like you got it.

Just another fact that may be helpful. Whichever American League team gets to the WS gets home field advantage because the AL won the All-Star game.

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're right about everything except I have no idea what an ACL is.

Yes, the ALDS is basically a quarterfinal to the championship (a semifinal to get to the WS).

Toronto is going to the ALCS for the first time since 1993. The Blue Jays made it to the ALCS in 1993 (last year there weren't any ALDSes) and hadn't even made the postseason since until now. If they win the ALCS they have the pennant (AL pennant), which means they can say they won the AL.

All remaining series are 7-game series.

That's a fun bandwagon, enjoy the ride.

Ok I think that was me getting my acronyms muddled up. I think I knew the 7 game series from this point and that even caused confusion cos I knew plenty of people who thought the other was out of 7 too but I knew I'd read it was out of 5.

Anyway cheers! Also found out they have a player called Pompey! The nickname of my footie team Portsmouth.