Can't decide if I should go PS4 or Xbox One.

Mental_Floss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm really a pc gamer at heart and feel like it has no equal if i were being totally honest. The thing is I need to dial back on my game time due to family, job and other responsibilities and I don't want to deal with upgrades, drivers and all the other things that come with PC gaming. At some point in my future I'm sure I'll build another PC but for now I need gaming "light" and not gaming "heavy". That's not a shot at consoles but I'm just saying that I don't have the time I used to so I'm at a point where I think consoles fit best.

I have paid no attention to this generation of consoles because I have had no reason to. So I don't know anything other than the Xbox One getting some bad press about running at a lower res than the PS4.

So...I like action, RPGs and FPS. What's the near future look like as far as exclusives and what console looks like it's going to be getting the most support? Stuff like that....

Thanks for any info.

grtkbrandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The thing is I need to dial back on my game time due to family, job and other responsibilities and I don't want to deal with upgrades, drivers and all the other things that come with PC gaming.

I don't think I really follow the logic here. Are you going to be completely getting rid of your computer? Drivers and updates are part of owning a computer and are less intrusive than console updates. Every time I put in a new game into my Wii U I've got another update that takes 30 minutes or so.

I've got twins that are two, a full time job, and a freelance on the side. None of this has prevented me from playing games on my PC, and I struggle trying to understand how I'd rip away my TV from my kids and girlfriend to begin with.

That said, Xbox One seems to be the underdog this generation. The hardware isn't as good as the PS4 (though slight). I still think Xbox One has the better online experience, and so far it has the most exclusives at the moment. The PS4 seems like the better hardware, but Bloodborne is probably the only truly great exclusive the platform has had. Consoles seem to be sleepers at the moment, though, and it's really tough to say how things are going to look a year from now. Especially since Microsoft seems to be turning things around.

Mental_Floss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mental_floss said:

The thing is I need to dial back on my game time due to family, job and other responsibilities and I don't want to deal with upgrades, drivers and all the other things that come with PC gaming.

I don't think I really follow the logic here. Are you going to be completely getting rid of your computer? Drivers and updates are part of owning a computer and are less intrusive than console updates. Every time I put in a new game into my Wii U I've got another update that takes 30 minutes or so.

I've got twins that are two, a full time job, and a freelance on the side. None of this has prevented me from playing games on my PC, and I struggle trying to understand how I'd rip away my TV from my kids and girlfriend to begin with.

That said, Xbox One seems to be the underdog this generation. The hardware isn't as good as the PS4 (though slight). I still think Xbox One has the better online experience, and so far it has the most exclusives at the moment. The PS4 seems like the better hardware, but Bloodborne is probably the only truly great exclusive the platform has had. Consoles seem to be sleepers at the moment, though, and it's really tough to say how things are going to look a year from now. Especially since Microsoft seems to be turning things around.

Let me clarify, when I'm playing PC it's usually MMOs and stuff like that which is a bit more consuming. Add that to the usual PC upgrades (hardware), drivers and trouble shooting from time to time and I will end up spending more time because it's just generally more involved.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By zombie2011

Near future i would go with Xbox, since i really have no idea what the PS4 has coming out for it this year.

Xbox has Halo, Forza, Tomb Raider, Fable and probably Gears of War 1, this year.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Tom_omb

I picked up an Xbox One just after Christmas. As someone who plans on getting a PS4 eventually as well I decided on the Xone because it was the cheaper machine. Also, I wanted to play Sunset Overdrive more then anything on PS4 at that time. Sunset Overdrive is the only Xone exclusive that I have played enough to give a whole hearted recommendation. Halo Master Chief collection, Dead Rising, and Killer Instinct are current releases that may also be worth your time.

As the owner of an aging PC I have been playing some of the multiplatform AAA releases I missed last year and have no complaints about running Farcry 4, Wolfenstein, Dragonage Inquisition, or Shadow of Mordor. But I imagine a PS4 would do just as well here.

Have you considered a Wii U? If you plan on getting around to upgrading your PC to play those multiplatform games eventually and are in the market for exclusives Nintendo's console might be the greatest value for you.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Want a whole bunch of Japanese games and remarkable unique titles Sony treat and budget like AAAs like No Mans Sky coming later this year? PS4
Want Nintendo games? WiiU
Fine without those two items, need Halo Gears Forza? Xbox One

I recommend waiting for E3 though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad
deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Wait for E3 and then pick the console with games you are more interested in.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I love my Xbox One. Forza Horizon 2 is fantastic, and Forza 5 is good. The MCC finally works. Titanfall is the best FPS I've played in years. Sunset Overdrive is also supposed to be great if you're into that. I find the snap interface, A/V functionality, and all the apps very useful. It really is an entertainment hub for me. I even love the Kinect because voice-controlling everything is fucking awesome. Also, both the existing and announced lineup of exclusives blow the PS4 out of the water, IMO.

The PS4 could potentially be the better system later on, but Sony seems to be happy resting on their laurels a bit as long as the console continues selling well. I certainly don't think it's the better system right now. Having played the same games on both my X1 and my buddy's PS4, the much-ballyhooed graphical differences are really negligible. The only PS4 game I feel like I'm "missing" is Bloodborne, and I'm scratching that itch with DSII: SotFS right now.

Honestly, though, you should probably wait for E3. At minimum, one or both of the consoles will likely announce 1TB versions, which might be worth considering. The Xbox One at least offers external hard drive support in the meantime. I'm curious to see what Windows 10 integration will actually be with the Xbox One, and hopefully Sony will announce some news on Gran Turismo or Persona 5 and/or other interesting upcoming exclusives.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kcin

I own an XB1 and I wish I had a PS4. I only purchased the XB1 because it was $210, really. More people I know have PS4s (this is probably true of everyone regardless who they know), the PS4 is generally more on-track with their hardware intentions (my Kinect is fantastic for verbal navigation and pausing movies, but otherwise it just quietly observes me on behalf of the NSA), the games have tended to run a tad more poorly (though this isn't a very big deal to me, but it is a caveat all the same), and the simple fact of the matter is that the Playstation Store and the bonuses that come with being an online member are LEAPS AND FUCKING BOUNDS above the XB1. You just get free games all the goddamn time with PS4, and they are just about always fantastic. I've only played two free games on XB1 longer than an hour: Rayman Legends, and Super Time Force. On the other hand, most of the free PS4 indie games are games I have bought for my PC.

Basically, the hardware is basically equal, so it comes down to support. Both systems will get all major releases except for the rare exclusive (of which there are very few lately, for whatever reason). Therefore, I suggest you look at who you know who will be using the console, and what you get for being a "member" of the online service for that console. In my eyes, the PS4 wins both hands-down, and I, again, own an XB1 and am still happy I have one. I just know the PS4 gets tons more free shit.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By GERALTITUDE

They're both great.

You need to personally look at the list of games already out and those en route to make the best possible decision. Exclusives are still numerous for both and will probably be the deciding factor. After that you need to consider PS+ vs Games With Gold.

The PS4 is off to a head start and is this gen's current market leader. Historically this means it will get the most games and the best versions of those games. Again though, all that is irrelevant in the face of what exclusives you prefer.

Mental_Floss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly Halo 5 multiplayer looks to be the same old rehash...if it looked to be something new Xbox One would be more appealing.

LongMasterWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly Halo 5 multiplayer looks to be the same old rehash...if it looked to be something new Xbox One would be more appealing.

Why does it look more like the same? Playing it and hearing everyone else it definitely looks quite different from any Halo before it.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By zombie2011

@mental_floss said:

You should try and play it, it's probably the most unique shooter on consoles, in the way it plays.

laxbro19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Without seeming too hyperbolic the decision comes down to the question of what you believe a console to be. If you believe that your console should only have games in mind then get a PS4. some cross platform games run better and such, although first party games are fewer. So look at it as the option if you want to game marginally better than on an xbox. Also PS Plus is still the best value in gaming and doubly so if you own a vita. With the PS4 and PS Plus you have a really solid package to game with.

If you believe, like myself, that a console in 2015 should be competant at more than games and have those considerations in mind, get an Xbox One. It has fantastic first party support with the similar but not identical performance to PS4 with the same third party games. People want to talk shit about Kinect but it really is a game changer this time around. Using TV with it is a fantastic, forget remembering channels and all that, just think it, speak it, watch it go. Yeah, sometimes it takes an extra try to get around using Kinect, but the alternative is far worse. Also all the apps and multimedia support is great. If you want to watch tv, and go between a game and Netflix you can do that on the xbox with relative ease. While it does have some noted deficiencies in the gameplay department, it is still just a marginal difference in most cases. Overall, the Xbox One is the most versatile console ever, it can handle anything entertainment related.

So take these two considerations in mind when you make a purchasing decision. Obviously I talk about Kinect being included with the Xbox One so keep in mind that purchase as well. Hopefully this helped you or someone else and if have any questions drop a me PM.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@mental_floss: The Halo 5 beta was the best FPS experience I had last year. Yes I am a fan of the franchise, but I was still surprised at how well 343 Industries managed to refresh the Halo formula without making it feel too alien. It really made going back to the Master Chief Collection hard.

That being said, both consoles are really good. The PS4 is perhaps more impressive when it comes to raw horsepower, but I do think that the Xbox One is more thought-out as an experience (UI, online capabilities, pausing games etc.) I also prefer the Xbox One controller and exclusives.

If you're really into action and FPS games I'd say that the Xbox roster seems like it would be more up your alley with Halo, Gears of War, Quantum Break, Tomb Raider, Sunset Overdrive etc. On the RPG side of things the PS4 may be more interesting with (likely) more support from JRPG studios.

I don't think that developer or manufacturer support will be an issue for either console when you consider how much competition there is between the two of them at the moment.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I have both XONE and PS4, and I use XONE just way more. I'm looking forward to Forza 6, Halo 5, and Gears 1 remaster. And THPS5, because whatever.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

(target post of reply was edited/corrected)

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

Another vote for Wii U; I don't think PS4 or Xbox have delivered enough exclusives yet if you already own a decent gaming PC.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By GiantLizardKing

Bloodborne is the only game from either of those consoles I wish I could play. Wii U has a lot of games I've enjoyed and more that I am looking forward to. My vote goes for Wii U.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Giant_Gamer

@mental_floss: dude!E3 2015 is next month!

Wait for it, see who throws a better show then go with whoever wins you over.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@athadam said:

Wait for E3 and then pick the console with games you are more interested in.

This is the only correct response.

Avatar image for nashvilleskyline
Nashvilleskyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xbox one as soon as the windows market place becomes unified, you'll buy games for ur pc and the xbox one at the same time.

PhantomMartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The correct answer is Wii U. PS4 and X-Box One can eat a dick. And this is coming from someone who used to love Sony and Microsoft systems. It's sad to see what they've become. But yeah, get a Wii U. Far cheaper, and IMO, better games.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

WIi U for sure. If you already have a gaming PC, I don't see a either a PS4 or Xbone as a very good value at this point. Maybe a few years down the road, but not now.

BlueFalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought both at launch. I hardly touch my XOne. Most multiplats go on PC unless I have some special reason. The console I use most by far is my PS4. I think the last game I bought on XOne was Sunset Overdrive at launch and I quit playing that because I got bored.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@isomeri: literally only one of the five games you mentioned was even a first person game.

True, but I was talking about action and FPS games. Neither platform has that many FPS exclusives. Come to think of it I can only think of one for both, Halo and Killzone.

The Wii U recommendation is also a good one, if you're into Nintendo games at all.

BlueFalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought both at launch. I hardly touch my XOne. Most multiplats go on PC unless I have some special reason. The console I use most by far is my PS4. I think the last game I bought on XOne was Sunset Overdrive at launch and I quit playing that because I got bored.

@mb said:

WIi U for sure. If you already have a gaming PC, I don't see a either a PS4 or Xbone as a very good value at this point. Maybe a few years down the road, but not now.

Meh... not for me. Nintendo hasn't made anything Ive been interested in for about 20 years now, the hardware is closer to last gen than current gen, and the very few interesting games are usually more than a year apart.

I'll stick with my powerful PC, PS4, XOne, PS3, 360, New 3DS, Vita, Vita TV, iPad, phone, Dolphin, and PCSX2.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait for E3. UC4 might blow your mind.

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By bceagles128

It's pretty simple. XBox if you prefer to play FPS. Playstation if you prefer anything else. It has been like that for 3 generations by now.

I'll add that people saying Wii U should probably work on their reading comprehension. He specifically said XBox vs Ps4. Also, he said that he wants to play RPGs and FPS, both of which suck on a Wii U. And I say this as a Wii U owner. Wii U is great a secondary console for the exclusives but it is an absolutely terrible first console if you don't have a PC to play all the multiplatform games on. And it's not selling at all so it will likely be discontinued well before the other two.

syzygyeolith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I chose PS4 more for the better premium services. PS+ supplies me with more games than I have time to play, so I'm yet to feel like I have nothing to do on that console. If you've just got to play the latest games to come out while they're still new, maybe wait till E3, but if you're just wanting to explore cross platform/indie hits, and aren't too picky about what comes put, PS4 seemed like the obvious choice for me.

Maybe its a non-issue for you too, but I personally prefer the PS4 controller this time around. The Xbone one just doesnt feel right, and I hate how the shoulder buttons are on a hinge this time. This is coming from someone who much preferred the 360 controller over the PS3 one last gen.

Plus they don't cram your home screen with advertising like xbox does (or at least the 360 did.. I've never used a Xbone more than a little).

As far as exclusives go.. I really don't know if it matters honestly. At the end of the day I just want to play something I'll enjoy, and I don't really feel like it has to be an exclusive. Not many exclusives are critical playing anyway.. (well.. except for Last of Us.. maybe thats worth a PS4 alone, if you never played it on PS3?)

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Long term it is more likely that PS4 will be the dominate selling console not only worldwide by in North America as well. It might be closer in N.A., but SOny is likely to get greater support. If it doesn't matter too you either way, I would lean to the console with the likelihood of greater support. Between better support and the fact PS4 has a computational power edge I think its a fair assessment that teh balance is in it favor.

With that said, I doubt XBox One will have significantly less support, it simply won't be the primary platform. The game will look fine, most games for or by westerns will be on the XBO too.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By maginnovision

I think you'll be fine either way, they get a lot of the same titles. If you're going to be using wifi though i'd recommend the xbox since it has way better wifi. I like the ps4 controllers more and the upgradeable hard drive. The xbox I had to buy a 4tb external and hide it behind the Kinect. I'm perfectly fine with the xbox sacrificing resolution to run the game better. I've only played bloodborne and dragon age inquisition on the PS4 to completion but that is a fair amount of time with it. Despite having both I also got COD:AW on xbox(due to using wifi) and it's still plays the same as the technically better ps4. Which I'm just saying specs shouldn't be your concern, library should be the first thing you're worried about. I think the xbox front end is also better right now as opposed to sonys forcing you to look at their programs you don't even have installed. But yea, I think either one you could be happy with if you're not going to focus on the negatives when you only have one or the other. Might wait to see if anything is announced at E3. I think right now they have pretty equivelant libraries for RPG's and FPS's. Also a wii u is a poor replacement for an xbox or a ps4 and not an option so why would people recommend that?

S3v3nS1ns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ask yourself two questions.

1.) Do I have any friends on Xbox Live or PSN? You can't go wrong going where your friends are.

2.) Another thing to consider is the exclusives. Do you really want to play Halo? How about Bloodborne and Uncharted 4?

Only you know the answers!

Avatar image for the_dude_abides
The_Dude_Abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Wait until E3 to see what games you could play in two years, maybe.

xone, for it's controller.

ps4, if morpheus is any good.