Can there ever be a "greatest game?"

infestedandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 0

Edited By infestedandy

What do you consider the greatest game of all-time? This question has sparked a savage, endless debate that will undoubtedly come to a conclusion when the sun can be contained inside a tuna can. I’ve often asked myself this question only to find myself torn between games of separate generations. This comparison, I found, simply cannot be resolved by fact nor opinion.

It’s a strange beast, but when thinking about it I don’t feel there needs to be a best game of all time in the numerical spot of one. Even if a title helped spark the gaming addiction that has swept the globe, it doesn’t mean it’s the definitive experience to represent everything. Too often do I see two exclusive titles going head to head that share similarities in only genre or maybe even less than that. If a game has given us something awesome then it deserves to be shared and spoken about. If a game gives us something unforgettable then it deserves to be immortalized.

Oh the nostalgia
 Oh the nostalgia

Take, for instance, the Legend of Zelda series. Link’s battle against Ganon and his dark forces have been with us since the NES days and are responsible for propelling excellence to untold heights. Zelda showed us how an action/adventure game was done and as the series progressed with technology, it steadily grew better and better. But looking back, Zelda on the NES is unplayable today. There are design flaws and mechanics that would do nothing less than frustrate you into looking up what to do next. I remember toward the end of the game there’s a hidden dungeon you need to locate. However, there are no hints or any suggestions as to where it might be found. You could spend hours trying to find this place and to no avail. What I’m trying to say is that Zelda should very well be noted for its importance to gaming, but should a game that suffers from such archaic gameplay mechanics be hailed as one of the greatest games of all time?

Is Half-Life better than Tekken? Wait, what?

Yes. Zelda NES was a lot of fun back in the day and, as I said, it was responsible for the tremendous upbringing of other excellent action/adventure games. But there’s a difference between the most fun and addictive experiences and the titles who defined the medium with technology or other revolutionary mechanics. Zelda was not the most fun game ever, but for what it did it should be awarded. Contesting these separate categories should never happen because the games they deal with are too different, especially if they were made in completely different generations. Take BioWare’s widely praised Baldur’s Gate II: Shadows of Amn. It’s one of my favorite games ever and look at how it influenced other titles like their own Mass Effect series. Should Baldur’s Gate be credited with the better game title because it came first? Should it automatically be placed higher than Mass Effect in any list they’re both thrust into? Of course not.

I could sit here right now and list off a large number of games I consider the best that’s ever been; you may agree with it and then you may not. Everything’s an opinion and that’s NOT a bad thing. Games, websites, critics, everything needs an opinion and it’s up to you to filter them out in order to establish a connection with the ones who resonate with you most. These lists aren’t going to go away and they don’t need to. It may make you upset that your favorite game didn’t get the top spot, but like college basketball rankings, it means little. It’s just what some people think and it’s there to cause discussion. There’s no real way to tell if Half-Life is that much better than Zelda. For me, Half-Life may be a much more fun game since it’s more modern, but once again you simply cannot take away what that damned Zelda game did.

So many games have given to the industry and all in their own individual ways. There is no “best game ever” and there likely never will be. Comparing Tekken Tag Tournament to Chrono Trigger for that top spot is just asinine and if it must be done, make sure it has relevance.

infestedandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By infestedandy

What do you consider the greatest game of all-time? This question has sparked a savage, endless debate that will undoubtedly come to a conclusion when the sun can be contained inside a tuna can. I’ve often asked myself this question only to find myself torn between games of separate generations. This comparison, I found, simply cannot be resolved by fact nor opinion.

It’s a strange beast, but when thinking about it I don’t feel there needs to be a best game of all time in the numerical spot of one. Even if a title helped spark the gaming addiction that has swept the globe, it doesn’t mean it’s the definitive experience to represent everything. Too often do I see two exclusive titles going head to head that share similarities in only genre or maybe even less than that. If a game has given us something awesome then it deserves to be shared and spoken about. If a game gives us something unforgettable then it deserves to be immortalized.

Oh the nostalgia
 Oh the nostalgia

Take, for instance, the Legend of Zelda series. Link’s battle against Ganon and his dark forces have been with us since the NES days and are responsible for propelling excellence to untold heights. Zelda showed us how an action/adventure game was done and as the series progressed with technology, it steadily grew better and better. But looking back, Zelda on the NES is unplayable today. There are design flaws and mechanics that would do nothing less than frustrate you into looking up what to do next. I remember toward the end of the game there’s a hidden dungeon you need to locate. However, there are no hints or any suggestions as to where it might be found. You could spend hours trying to find this place and to no avail. What I’m trying to say is that Zelda should very well be noted for its importance to gaming, but should a game that suffers from such archaic gameplay mechanics be hailed as one of the greatest games of all time?

Yes. Zelda NES was a lot of fun back in the day and, as I said, it was responsible for the tremendous upbringing of other excellent action/adventure games. But there’s a difference between the most fun and addictive experiences and the titles who defined the medium with technology or other revolutionary mechanics. Zelda was not the most fun game ever, but for what it did it should be awarded. Contesting these separate categories should never happen because the games they deal with are too different, especially if they were made in completely different generations. Take BioWare’s widely praised Baldur’s Gate II: Shadows of Amn. It’s one of my favorite games ever and look at how it influenced other titles like their own Mass Effect series. Should Baldur’s Gate be credited with the better game title because it came first? Should it automatically be placed higher than Mass Effect in any list they’re both thrust into? Of course not.

I could sit here right now and list off a large number of games I consider the best that’s ever been; you may agree with it and then you may not. Everything’s an opinion and that’s NOT a bad thing. Games, websites, critics, everything needs an opinion and it’s up to you to filter them out in order to establish a connection with the ones who resonate with you most. These lists aren’t going to go away and they don’t need to. It may make you upset that your favorite game didn’t get the top spot, but like college basketball rankings, it means little. It’s just what some people think and it’s there to cause discussion. There’s no real way to tell if Half-Life is that much better than Zelda. For me, Half-Life may be a much more fun game since it’s more modern, but once again you simply cannot take away what that damned Zelda game did.

So many games have given to the industry and all in their own individual ways. There is no “best game ever” and there likely never will be. Comparing Tekken Tag Tournament to Chrono Trigger for that top spot is just asinine and if it must be done, make sure it has relevance.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

No, because no game is perfect in an objective sense.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By TheHT

Yes, because any game can be pefect in a subjective sense.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By natetodamax

No, because I said so.

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By DCFGS3

There can be a 'best game' for each genre usually. But even that usually boils down to opinion. IMO Goldeneye was the best N64 Game, however others would say Zelda. Half Life 2 for me remains one of the best PC shooters of all time, but so does COD4.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Romination

Short answer: no.
Long answer: To you. You'll never be able to convince everyone in the world that a game is the greatest thing ever. Like movies. Or Tv. Or anything. This shit is opinion based, and when something's opinion based, there will never be complete consensus.
 And while it doesn't make sense to compare Half Life and Tekken, for example, YOU know which one you prefer.

Frederik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Frederik

No... There can only be favorite games (The exception being if every single person agrees on one game)

Rirobuge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Rirobuge

No but there can be a worst band in the world, which we all know to be Creed.

deadmanforking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deadmanforking

Stroker...Nuff said!

infestedandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By infestedandy

I've always thought that the answer is pretty obvious, but year after year places come out with those top games of all time lists and people go berzerk! There will never be a way to tell, but discussing games won't hurt anyone and that's why I think these things even bother to come out. To cause discussion.

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#11  Edited By dudacles

No, it's not possible. In order for a game to be considered "the greatest game ever", it would have to be enjoyed universally by all people in a higher amount than any other game. As in, everyone who has ever played the game should agree that it is their favourite game of all time. This criterium is impossible to meet.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King

Yes. This one. If you disagree, I can't find the South Park clip to go with this. (It was supposed to be one from the Iraq War episode. The point is that you can leave my kingdom.)

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By DukeTogo

Tetris is probably the closest we will ever get, followed closely by Burgertime.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

For the record, Zelda's manual had a lot of hints on where the hidden stuff in the game is, making it very possible to beat the game without outside help. I did it! Didn't even subscribe to Nintendo Power.

When I consider 'greatest' games, the gameplay holding up is a factor for me. To me, Super Mario Bros. and Megaman 2 are still fun to play, so they are up there. Zelda has aged a bit, but Link to the Past was a huge improvement. The original Metroid is not so great but Metroid 2 and Super Metroid hold up. Contra? Heck yeah. Half Life still plays great. Doom is still fun. I'd play Quake today, Quake 2 not so much. Etc. Because games change and evolve, there will always be things that are done better now, missteps, and reasons to be nostalgic for when everything was a little more simple. But people who want to rank them and put them in a neat list are just trying to generate hits on their website. Or blog, you sly devil you!

Also: Anyone remember when that list was released that would randomly generate a list to form the 'Top 500 NES games of all time?' That was a riot.

infestedandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By infestedandy
@SuperfluousMoniker: I think you're right in the sense that if you absolutely have to rank games, the gameplay really should hold up. I know that when I talk to people about them I make a point in saying that this title has classic gameplay. For example, I loved Twisted Metal Black. It was such a great game but if you go back and try to play it today it's relatively unplayable. Your Mega Man example, Donkey Kong Country, Doom, and other games have that classic gameplay you can easily go back to. Some titles, as you said, like Quake 2 changed to be appealing for that certain time period. If you go back and try to play it, like Twisted Metal Black, well... you can't.
Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Famov
@Rirobuge said:
"No but there can be a worst band in the world, which we all know to be Creed. "

I see your Creed and raise you The Beegees and Maroon 5. 

Oh, on topic. I played Legend of Zelda, for like the fourth time, to completion a month ago and it was a fantastically fun game. Some games are indeed difficult to go back to, but LoZ isn't one of them for me.
Avatar image for computerplayer1
Computerplayer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By Computerplayer1

Only in a specific time period, in my opinion. You could say once every 5 or 10 years what the greatest game was, but past that it gets harder to defend a choice due to tech limitations or massive changes in game mechanics.

If you choose a best game of all time you have to look at impact on the industry, popularity amongst the hardcore and casual, graphical significance for its time, and mechanical significance for its time. You can't directly compare games due to advancements and the like.

I know that Jeff sides with Tetris for its impact and popularity, and I would agree. However, I'd go with Ocarina of Time for it's excellence in my above category choices.

No Caption Provided
beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#18  Edited By beargirl1
@natetodamax said:
" No, because I said so. "
NATE HAS SPOKEN
Chirag4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Chirag4

No, it's all down to perspective.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By Snail

I'll just leave this here.
 I'll just leave this here.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By Jeust

There can be for each person, but globally never. 

Each person with its limited experience and knowledge can give their opinion on the greatest ever, but globally it's one of the questions that there will never be a true consensus. 

For a new gamer Halo, God of War or Uncharted can be the greatest inventions to man, but to a person that played Arkanoid, Pacman and Space Invaders in the arcades with his friends it probably won't.  

Different strokes for different folks. 

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dan_CiTi

There is one already dumbass. It's called Pokemon SoulSilver. 

dutch42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dutch42

to each his own, everyone has an equal and valid opinion. or, y'know, ocarina of time.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Any "greatest' form of entertainment or art is a matter of opinion. I think the Mona Lisa is just a painting of an ugly woman and wouldn't hang it in my garage but that doesn't make it any less of a masterpiece. It's just not my thing. Same thing with games I suppose.

MadeinFinland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By MadeinFinland

I would say the best game is REAL LIFE, but the lack of a 'Save Game' is annoying.

Ubiquitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Ubiquitous

Nope there is no greatest game, only great games.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By BigBoss1911

The greatest game out of all games? Probably not, you would have to split them up into categories.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FunExplosions

Saints Row 2 on the PC.

TorgoGrooves89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TorgoGrooves89

Yes because it's Morrowind. If you disagree then get in the hole.
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By JJOR64
@Chirag4 said:
" No, it's all down to perspective. "
I agree.